Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

People got way too harsh on Davis way too early.  I am not sure if there are an influx of youngsters on the board or people just totally forget what Sean Taylor's rookie season looked like.  He showed tons of flashes, but he also got burned on plenty of plays due to miscommunications, being out of position, bad angles etc etc.....all things you expect from a rookie, even one that is destined to be great.  And I am not saying Davis has that kind of potential, just saying that he was drafted because of his quickness, speed, and athleticism, and so far in his rookie season he is showing to have those attributes, and on a lot of plays he can get by on those, but other plays he needs the reps and practice to grow his skills at the NFL level. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

People got way too harsh on Davis way too early.  I am not sure if there are an influx of youngsters on the board or people just totally forget what Sean Taylor's rookie season looked like.  He showed tons of flashes, but he also got burned on plenty of plays due to miscommunications, being out of position, bad angles etc etc.....all things you expect from a rookie, even one that is destined to be great.  And I am not saying Davis has that kind of potential, just saying that he was drafted because of his quickness, speed, and athleticism, and so far in his rookie season he is showing to have those attributes, and on a lot of plays he can get by on those, but other plays he needs the reps and practice to grow his skills at the NFL level. 

He made a few nice plays but he still misses things as well. Hes a ways away. Probably wont be a real impact player until year 3 at the earliest.

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Held one of the highest scoring passing offenses to 1 TD. Awesome. 

I think it’s all smoke and mirrors with Vegas’ offense and certainly they’re not all that good without Ruggs and Waller. In the last five weeks, aside from the Dallas game, they’ve scored 13,14,15 and 16 points (seriously). They’ve only hit over 20 points in 6 of their 12 games 

Edited by PartyPosse

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think it’s all smoke and mirrors with Vegas’ offense and certainly they’re not all that good without Ruggs and Waller. In the last five weeks, aside from the Dallas game, they’ve scored 13,14,15 and 16 points (seriously). They’ve only hit over 20 points in 6 of their 12 games 

Yeah the Raiders offense without Waller is pretty bad.

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He made a few nice plays but he still misses things as well. Hes a ways away. Probably wont be a real impact player until year 3 at the earliest.

I don't necessarily agree. He was super raw in his first snaps and is looking more comfortable by the week. 

Looked like Everett might have given him a slight concussion early on and still played well, particularly later on when it looked like he felt better. 

By next year, it could be a huge jump. Again, we don't know how these guys study and how it will translate to the field. But, I like the curve he is on. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Agreed. That pocket looked pretty comfy for much of the game.

There were many snaps where Carr had to move off his spot.  That was the reason why Carr was missing big shots that were open. Having Sweat back hopefully will help. The rush looks very coordinated and disciplined now. They certainly will need it against Philly. 

Again Jack Del Rio is coaching his butt off! I loved how they let Renfro get his stuff without taking over the game. I have half expected Hudson to play Collins better than Collins.

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

There were many snaps where Carr had to move off his spot.  That was the reason why Carr was missing big shots that were open. Having Sweat back hopefully will help. The rush looks very coordinated and disciplined now. They certainly will need it against Philly. 

Again Jack Del Rio is coaching his butt off! I loved how they let Renfro get his stuff without taking over the game. I have half expected Hudson to play Collins better than Collins.

I think they were getting decent pressure from up the gut but nothing off the edges.

• Like 1

Overall the secondary played ok, but this was against a team missing its big weapon.

Next week will be a far different story; Dallas up next, and their WR group has speed and size, so the DC can't afford to play this soft zone stuff or they will be picked apart like a cheap Lego set.  Getting Sweat back would help alot with QB pressure, but it will take a total team defense effort to get a W.

5 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Teams still needed to gameplan for them.

Yes they need to factor in the huge holes they'll get when Sweat and Young were just running 15 yard circles around the QB chasing sacks because they were trying to break records instead of playing solid fundamental team defense.

Sweat has never even had a double digit sack season. Lets not act like he's Von Miller. He's not even Ryan Kerrigan. Hell he's not even Brian Orakpo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean its not like Sweat and Young were doing that much when they played. I'd argue the backups have been just about as effective.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes they need to factor in the huge holes they'll get when Sweat and Young were just running 15 yard circles around the QB chasing sacks because they were trying to break records instead of playing solid fundamental team defense.

Sweat has never even had a double digit sack season. Lets not act like he's Von Miller. He's not even Ryan Kerrigan. Hell he's not even Brian Orakpo.

Did I miss something where it was determined Sweat was having a bad year? From my view I thought he was headed towards a borderline pro bowl year. 

I think we may appreciate him more when he returns. 

While I think the defense has definitely turned a corner, it can't be stated how important winning the time of possession battle is for a defense. It goes hand in hand with a good defense, that's why "game manager" QBs seem to have good defenses accompany them while most MVP caliber QBs do not. Scoring quickly and often will help you win obviously, but it's going to hurt your defense's stats. 

I think during the bye week, this team just kind of figured out who they were and that's very dangerous to go up against. Many teams spend the entire year trying to figure out who they are, but we have an identity. We're going to keep the ball from your offense, run it down your throat, and play disciplined defense. 

• Like 1

For anyone who cannot recall... Micah Parsons (LB) was selected with the #12 pick, while Jamin (LB) was selected at #19. 

I knew we were "in the teens" and close to the Cowbois in order. 

Wouldn't have thought that a 3 year "project" is what you get picking at #19 when you can get instant access at pick #12.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You would be horribly wrong and for the first time I got to witness why. 

8 hours ago, petey hodge said:

For anyone who cannot recall... Micah Parsons (LB) was selected with the #12 pick, while Jamin (LB) was selected at #19. 

Wouldn't have thought that a 3 year "project" is what you get picking at #19 when you can get instant access at pick #12.

Parsons was a steal at 12. He was a top 5 talent who fell because a bunch of teams at the top all needed QB and there was ridiculous offensive talent at the top as well.

Davis was a super reach at 19. He's more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick type player right now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, petey hodge said:

I was clamoring for the trade up. It was parsons and zilch at ILB… then to go to the cowboys was just gutting. 

I threw $100 on him winning DROY, so I guess I’ll be content with that consolation prize.

It’s not going to be fun watching jamin running around clueless while Micah is wreaking havoc.

Davis has gotten better every week. Yes, he was a reach at 19, but y'all are being too hard on him. Comparing him to Parsons doesn't make sense, because they're not being asked to play similar roles.

We desperately need guys who can rush the QB. We missed having Sweat and Collins yesterday badly. Payne and Allen played great though.

I'd love to sign Reddick this offseason to be our Sam.