Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Vikes/Hawks. Vikes constantly collapsing the pocket.

Rushing the passer isnt that hard on obvious pass downs if you have the talent and scheme. We dont have either.

And having serious QB-envy watching Kurt Cousins arm strength and surgical precision…. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

While the bookends certainly haven't held up their end of the bargain, it's plain as day to see any competent QB can shred the defense with those LBs and corners. Literally all any QB needs is 3 seconds MAX to find someone open. How receivers manage to be 5 years clear of a defender almost immediately off the line is astonishing. 

12 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Agreed.  But not 2021-2022  There's no good prospect in the draft and the WFT can't afford the draft capitol to trade for one.  Too many holes.

There's no "great" prospect, but they basically have to draft a QB next year.  Or acquire one somehow, hell, why not both.  Give me Matt Ryan, I don't care, we just need a real QB.

And yes, the defense does need a better scheme and better LBs, and I do like watching heineke, but nothing matters in the long run of a season if you don't have a real QB and we don't right now.  

1 minute ago, Dirt said:

There's no "great" prospect, but they basically have to draft a QB next year.  Or acquire one somehow, hell, why not both.  Give me Matt Ryan, I don't care, we just need a real QB.

And yes, the defense does need a better scheme and better LBs, and I do like watching heineke, but nothing matters in the long run of a season if you don't have a real QB and we don't right now.  

Heineke is by far the least of our problems right now.   We have a D that is allowing others teams to convert 3rd downs at an alarming rate....like the worst in HISTORY rate.....

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Dirt said:

Ryan's contract is probably the worst in football right now. 

28 minutes ago, Dirt said:

No thanks to Matt Ryan. No more old vets looking to extend their careers. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

So far this year 8 TDs 0 INTs. If his stud back doesn’t fumble and if his K doesn’t miss a chippy theyre 3-0

Sure, just took him 4 years and the best run game in the NFL to get off to a decent start. I highly doubt the collective fanbase here would have had the patience to wait.

Lol at the No-Name No-Defense crew!  Opponents are converting 3rd/4th and long situations almost all the time.  Secondary wants to prove they can tackle well, BUT after the receivers catch them. Too scared to play physical because of PI calls.  If they play like that, it’s gonna be a LONG season!

10 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Don't understand WTF happened to this defense from 2020 to 2021, but it looks beyond repair.  It starts up front and it has trickled down from there.  

It’s the quick passes that’s killing them.  Secondary is just watching them catch the ball and react.  They’re not being physical enough.  Notice how the other teams are doing that to us.  Our receivers are earning their money!  Our secondary isn’t.  

Just now, ultravin said:

It’s the quick passes that’s killing them.  Secondary is just watching them catch the ball and react.  They’re not being physical enough.  Notice how the other teams are doing that to us.  Our receivers are earning their money!  Our secondary isn’t.  

But it isn't just quick passes. Quick passes doesn't explain the 3rd and 10+ conversions, those need time to develop.

You can blame the secondary all you want for the quick passes but if we're consistently getting to 3rd and long and the pass rush can't do anything, the front bears some responsibility as well.

Ultimately I think there is an issue with the scheme. Either we are TOO simple and opposing QBs/coaches figure us out too easily, or we're TOO complicated to the point where guys are constantly confused and messing up their coverages. Personally I think its a combination of both. I think our zone coverages appear to be convoluted or at least confusing enough that our guys don't know their responsibilities. When we play man things are simplified but our pass rush isn't getting home so guys are getting beat.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dirt said:

I wouldn't mind having Matt Ryan.  At what cost though?  More concerned with draft capitol than salary cap.  The WFT can't afford a package like the Rams gave up for Stafford.  There are still too many holes in the roster.