Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Huh, we were #2 defense last year because of that line.  Thats exactly what you need to pair with an elite QB to win rings.

No, you are suggesting trading some from the dline to get picks we lost in a trade for either Wilson or Rodgers.  We shouldn't do that, take our L and protect the talent we have because the cheap influx will slow down jus like when we did the RG3 trade.

We have a philosophical disagreement so we won’t see eye to eye. 

The data is pretty steadfast. Defense fluctuates year over year regardless of talent. It’s just too hard to play consistent good defense in this league. Again, there are plenty of data points available across the web. Us and Denver are the latest examples. Rams defense has regressed as well. To make it worse, we invested mainly in DL instead of the smarter way, which would be your DBs. As you’ve seen almost every week, opponents simply chip Chase with an extra blocker or just get rid of the ball quickly and it complete negates our perceived strength. 

So yes, I’m more than willing to sacrifice that specific talent because it isn’t as valuable and is much more volatile than a good QB. 

Chase Young and Montez Sweat can go to multiple Pro Bowls and still add less value than a Derek Carr type QB for example. 

That’s the league we currently operate in. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-nfl-cant-rely-on-defense/amp/

Now would I trade them for anything ? No. But if trading them is a part of my plan of getting a good QB AND restocking my draft capital, hell yes. It’s a no brainer. Not a perfect example because the Raiders are horrible at drafting but you think they really truly miss Khalil Mack all that much? 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We have a philosophical disagreement so we won’t see eye to eye. 

It happens : )

The data is pretty steadfast. Defense fluctuates year over year regardless of talent. It’s just too hard to play consistent good defense in this league. Again, there are plenty of data points available across the web. Us and Denver are the latest examples. Rams defense has regressed as well. To make it worse, we invested mainly in DL instead of the smarter way, which would be your DBs. As you’ve seen almost every week, opponents simply chip Chase with an extra blocker or just get rid of the ball quickly and it complete negates our perceived strength. 

Giants built their defense around their dline and won two super bowls because of it.  Yes they had their franchise QB, but Eli wasn't elite, it was that dline that knocked off that 18-0 Pats team, and giants keep reloading that line until they forget about the rest of the team and got everyone fired.  Chase will figure it out, and we can learn from the giants mistakes.

So yes, I’m more than willing to sacrifice that specific talent because it isn’t as valuable and is much more volatile than a good QB. 

There's no reason we cant chew gum and walk at the same time, we shouldn't sacrifice one to get the other if we don't have to, we shouldn't start with gutting the dline, its not neccesary.

Chase Young and Montez Sweat can go to multiple Pro Bowls and still add less value than a Derek Carr type QB for example. 

That’s the league we currently operate in. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-nfl-cant-rely-on-defense/amp/

Now would I trade them for anything ? No. But if trading them is a part of my plan of getting a good QB AND restocking my draft capital, hell yes. It’s a no brainer. Not a perfect example because the Raiders are horrible at drafting but you think they really truly miss Khalil Mack all that much? 

Neither the Raiders nor the Bears have won a ring since that trade, so maybe not the best example if all this is to get a ring.  I wholeheartedly disagree with shipping off our first rounders then expecting fair value for for guys we drafted in the first round, it won't happen because they aren't QBs, not worth it.

Edited by Renegade7

8 weeks later, and yep. Still frustrated. Most of us were so optimistic during training camp, everything was going good.....i honestly wish we hadn’t won that trash *** division last season, it made fans think things were better than they were. It lead to the defense being overhyped over the offseason. It’s all frustrating. 

Yeah the season has been a disappointment.   I predicted we would go 10-7 this year.  Now I would rather us 4-13 than 6-11 but I feel like the defense is starting to come on and 6-11 may be more likely than 4-13.  The Curtis Samuel and William Jackson signings have both been busts.  I thought with Samuel and Dyami Brown we might have a top 12 or so receiving unit.  Big no to that as Samuel cannot stay healthy and Brown is not that good right now.  I bought the hype for William Jackson and thought he was a top 20 corner.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely shocked Ron couldn't turn this sunken ship around in a year and a half. Shocked I tell ya. It's amazing that a team with a losing record that immediately lost its starting QB and now has over half its offensive starters out is not in first place despite the 3rd hardest schedule. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm absolutely shocked Ron couldn't turn this sunken ship around in a year and a half. Shocked I tell ya. It's amazing that a team with a losing record that immediately lost its starting QB and now has over half its offensive starters out is not in first place despite the 3rd hardest schedule. 

Those expecting another playoffs this year were deluding themselves.

The biggest problem with this year, is the fact the defense is just poor.  Then you combine that with a weak offense.   The team is no better in year 2 and is actually worse.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We should at least be near the top of the NFL in sacks. I personally though we we might be mediocre on offense but the defense is going to be good to great. That obviously hasn’t happened. There’s isn’t a single positive this year. Like zero. We downgraded at long snapper while using a draft pick and everything else is worse than that. The team regressed and the coaching sucks. Then all the off field BS and Jason Wright and his lousy name change plan and it all sucks. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

We should at least be near the top of the NFL in sacks. I personally though we we might be mediocre on offense but the defense is going to be good to great. That obviously hasn’t happened. There’s isn’t a single positive this year. Like zero. We downgraded at long snapper while using a draft pick and everything else is worse than that. The team regressed and the coaching sucks. Then all the off field BS and Jason Wright and his lousy name change plan and it all sucks. 

I do think there are positives.  In general the O-Line has exceeded expectations.   If you told us before the season you would lose your starting QB, your best O-Lineman, one of your starting Tackles, and 2 of your top 3 playmakers on offense (Samuels and Logan Thomas), you probably would have predicted the offense would be worse than it has.   Part of the reason the offense has been serviceable is the O-Line including backups like Sweitzer and Lucas have played reasonably well.

On defense the back 7 has been pretty terrible in coverage.  The D-Line has a mild disappointment.   The advanced grades say they are good but not elite.  The stats don't reflect that though because coverage has been really weak.  At least we have gotten better on D the past few weeks.  I think Landon Collins as a nickle linebacker makes sense.   We need to upgrade one of the safety spots and get a good corner, but the defense is slowly coming around.   I am not as pessimistic, but I definitely disappointed.  

• Like 1

We need a real RB, Gibson is Curtis Samuel... and we already have an injured one of those dudes. Anyone see the 3rd/4th stringer from KC running last night? Need an actual RB. 

We need a WR, there's tons available for trade. A Rob, OBJ, go get one and relieve T Mac from getting all of the D's attention. Start Fitz when he's healthy, it would be worth seeing what a real NFL arm could do in this offense. Cause I half believe its the system, it would be worth knowing if its just the QB. 

Sunday, it got to the point that 6 out of our Front 9 (non-backfield players) Starters were out injured :

Samuel, Flowers, Roullier, Scherff, Cosmi, Thomas.

Only Humphries, Leno, and McLaurin were our remaining starters on the Front 9.

Actually if you want to count the whole offense, since Heinicke is filling in for Fitz, then 7 out of our original 11 offensive starters are hurt.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Those expecting another playoffs this year were deluding themselves.

We are now in an era where seven teams per conference make the playoffs. Even coming off the losing record/division winning season, I still thought this team could take the next step and maybe win 10 games, which would be enough to put us comfortably in at least a wild card spot.

I was only half joking when I bumped the paloffs thread after the loss to KC. Right now there are five teams in the conference that you can likely pencil in for the postseason, barring major QB injury....Dallas, GB, TB, AZ, LA. What are the other two teams? The Saints without Winston? The Vikes?

After that blah loss to Denver, I don't see the WFT doing much better than 6-11. But there is going to be a team that finishes not that much better that makes it in. 

So annoying being a fan of this team. Here we are at 2-6, another lost year. Jamin Davis sucks, Chase Young sucks, the name change sucks, Dyami Brown sucks, Dallas is 50x better than us which sucks, all the QBs in the 2022 draft suck, our stadium sucks, what else am I missing. Mclaurin and Allen are the only ones on this team worth a ****

• Like 1

3 hours ago, max21 said:

So annoying being a fan of this team. Here we are at 2-6, another lost year. Jamin Davis sucks, Chase Young sucks, the name change sucks, Dyami Brown sucks, Dallas is 50x better than us which sucks, all the QBs in the 2022 draft suck, our stadium sucks, what else am I missing. Mclaurin and Allen are the only ones on this team worth a ****

I pretty much agree with this except 

-Can't tell in just 1 1/2 seasons how Chase's time here will pan out 

-I myself, aren't going to judge the name changed or logo until I actually see it ,but will miss our band playing "Hail to the Redskins" walking into the stadium 

-It certainly may not be the best stadium, but it's in Maryland so it's close, and if they were to move the stadium to Virginia, would that remove the viewers here from that NFL rule that Maryland Fox affiliates have, that they are required to televise the games, per miles in distance from  the stadium?

Edited by c slag

i hope I'm not breaking any rules, by posting something positive in a negative thread, as opposed to the positivity thread, but...

Here's some good news :

Last year, our playoff year, we had the exact same record after the first 8 games, as we do this year after 8 games : 2-6 !

Looks to me like Paloffs are now.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

i hope I'm not breaking any rules, by posting something positive in a negative thread, as opposed to the positivity thread, but...

Here's some good news :

Last year, our playoff year, we had the exact same record after the first 8 games, as we do this year after 8 games : 2-6 !

Truly, Paloffs are now, people.

Or you could post here. :)

• Like 1