Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

47 minutes ago, Redwolves92 said:

Anyone see that rivera quote today where he almost wishes they didnt win the division last year? Why does he care about our expectations? I dont think he will turn things around with that weak mindset. His and JDR’s coaching style is outdated and soft. 

Well, they shouldn't of.  Samy316 excellently describe why winning the division with a 7-9 record hurt us.

Last year, Ron adjusted midstream and made an attempt to win the division.  In that interview today, he's adjusting again and saying we are a young team that's just learning. He fulling expects this season to be a bad season.  He won't say it out loud publicly but what he did say today, confirms in my mind; he expect a bad season this year.

Part of the reason for this bad season, is directly due to his mistakes.  Several of his offseason moves haven't panned out.  

• Like 1

Did many really expect the team to have anything beyond a 9-10 win season though......and even that is still possible, although looking bleak giving the slate of games we face in the upcoming month.

At some point, though, the team is going to have to EXCEED expectations to generate buzz.  I don't think 9-8/10-7 with a first-round playoff loss is going to move the needle that much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Did many really expect the team to have anything beyond a 9-10 win season though......and even that is still possible, although looking bleak giving the slate of games we face in the upcoming month.

At some point, though, the team is going to have to EXCEED expectations to generate buzz.  I don't think 9-8/10-7 with a first-round playoff loss is going to move the needle that much.

People bought into the hype.  I didn't but many did.   I felt 8-8-1 was a releastic assessment going into the season.  This team will be lucky to even finish 8-9 this year.  

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

I was hopeful that with a good defense, and average QB play from Fitzpatrick that we’d go 11-6. But Fitzpatrick going down and the defense pretty much confirming last year was a fluke, changes that. 

yeah, i think it’s going to take AT LEAST two years of solid play by this team and two 11-6 or 12-5 seasons and a couple playoff wins to get people believing again. And i cant see a season like that happening until.....MAYBE 2025? 

**** this trash team.....

I actually think Ron is correct in his assessment regarding last season.  I don't think it's the 7-9 record itself, but it's the fact that they stumbled into a division win and actually looked pretty decent against the eventual Superbowl champs.  It has made a portion of the fanbase unable to properly assess where the franchise was when Ron initially took over.   

The frustrating part about this franchise is not the losing seasons specifically, because every franchise has losing seasons and underachieves from time to time, it's the inability to ever break through the 6-9 win total in any consistent fashion. There never seems to be growth or development or anything put into place to make improvement sustainable.  It is also about how can we get the most out of the current season without any vision for long term building.  

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was hopeful that with a good defense, and average QB play from Fitzpatrick that we’d go 11-6. But Fitzpatrick going down and the defense pretty much confirming last year was a fluke, changes that. 

yeah, i think it’s going to take AT LEAST two years of solid play by this team and two 11-6 or 12-5 seasons and a couple playoff wins to get people believing again. And i cant see a season like that happening until.....MAYBE 2025? 

2025 might be wishful thinking.

Rivera has to change things next year because things aren't working and he botched so many things this year.   He has to show signficant improvement next year. Not necessarly playoffs but you will end the season feeling that the team will break thru in 23.  If Rivera fails to do that; he will be canned.

You would then get a new coach in 23. Then you can expect a roster turnover in 23,24 while the next coach gets his people.  25 would probably be that coaches breakthru year.

This team will need 3 or more playoff appearances with at least one win in the playoffs each year for people to start believing. 

I personally think it will not happen with Rivera.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

2025 might be wishful thinking.

Rivera has to change things next year because things aren't working and he botched so many things this year.   He has to show signficant improvement next year. Not necessarly playoffs but you will end the season feeling that the team will break thru in 23.  If Rivera fails to do that; he will be canned.

100% guarantee Rivera finishes out all 5 years at least. Dan doesn’t foot the bill with coaches and Rivera is going to use the excuse of not having his QB. 

54 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I personally think it will not happen with Rivera

Its been ho hum, but the improvements in the defense last year was encouraging. It felt he was providing returns on what he was expected to provide coming in— an improved defense with much improved discipline. 

This year… just a bunch of excuses. One of my issues has been his laidback approach with it all, like a dude who knows he has unlimited time. That’s just opinion type stuff on my end though— not a right or wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Given that this team has never won more than 10 games in a regular season since Dan Snyder became the owner, I think you are dreaming, even with the addition of a regular season game to make it 17

12 minutes ago, ananoman said:

Given that this team has never won more than 10 games in a regular season since Dan Snyder became the owner, I think you are dreaming, even with the addition of a regular season game to make it 17

Sure, but i was hoping the combo of rivera, Fitzpatrick, and a defense most thought was real last year, would get us 11 wins. I was wrong, obviously. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

100% guarantee Rivera finishes out all 5 years at least. Dan doesn’t foot the bill with coaches and Rivera is going to use the excuse of not having his QB. 

Its been ho hum, but the improvements in the defense last year was encouraging. It felt he was providing returns on what he was expected to provide coming in— an improved defense with much improved discipline. 

This year… just a bunch of excuses. One of my issues has been his laidback approach with it all, like a dude who knows he has unlimited time. That’s just opinion type stuff on my end though— not a right or wrong. 

Those so called improvements came against week competition. That Tampa playoff game exposed the true nature of the defense and we are seeing that defense this year.

49 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sure, but i was hoping the combo of rivera, Fitzpatrick, and a defense most thought was real last year, would get us 11 wins. I was wrong, obviously. 

You may get the number 11 part right.  Instead of 11-6, we go 6-11. Instead of 11 wins, we get 11 loses.

The best thing that has happened this season was Fitz going down in week 1.

Heinicke has his limitations to be sure and has lived dangerously on some of his throws, but at least he provides some excitement and we get to see what we have with him. I guess Fitz has been known to be Mr. Excitement too, but this team would be no better than 2-3 with him under center and would likely be 1-4 or worse. He certainly doesn't have Taylor's mobility.  Signing him just seemed like such a waste of time.

• Thumb down 1

The main thing is that the QB issue has to be fixed going into year 3 of Rivera. 

I am not enough of a CFB aficionado to know how strong the QB draft class is this upcoming offseason but I have seen multiple people on the forums say it isn't a standout draft for QB.  Well that doesn't mean you don't draft one anyway, it just means you do your homework and take someone in the 2nd or 3rd round you can develop, but then also look for possible options in FA when the time comes.

We don't need a rookie QB throwing 40 TD passes and 4000 yards in 2022 to save anyone's job, but we do need some kind of indication that the QB position was addressed going into next season.   

When you look at this in the scope of Rivera being on a 5 year deal, he doesn't need a franchise QB to be peaking next season, but he does need the position itself addressed and the ball rolling so by year 4 & 5, whoever the QB is (assuming it is a drafted player) has some experience and there looks to be enough upside coming in future seasons that the front office wants to keep Rivera and the staff to develop the QB & team.

• Like 1

How could I be frustrated? A few minor defensive adjustments = championship caliber defense. Plus we have our franchise QB. PLUS Jon Gruden apparently was a part of our damn good culture. 

In the words of the LEGO movie, “EVERYTHING IS AWESOM!!!” (When you’re a part of the team).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

If they at least start functioning like a decent defense things would improve.  They look like they've never played team sports before!  And the star of the defense is doing nothing except not get slimmer. Pretty soon he will have to start playing 2 yds off the LOS or get flagged for offsides because he'll have to wear a super-sized helmet that will block out the sun.

Nobody really expected TH to come in this year and light up the scoreboards, but he has been fairly fun to watch, the unknowing of what he'll do in situations I guess.

Myself, like others, were really hoping RR would have this team trending up...

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I actually think Ron is correct in his assessment regarding last season.  I don't think it's the 7-9 record itself, but it's the fact that they stumbled into a division win and actually looked pretty decent against the eventual Superbowl champs.  It has made a portion of the fanbase unable to properly assess where the franchise was when Ron initially took over.   

The frustrating part about this franchise is not the losing seasons specifically, because every franchise has losing seasons and underachieves from time to time, it's the inability to ever break through the 6-9 win total in any consistent fashion. There never seems to be growth or development or anything put into place to make improvement sustainable.  It is also about how can we get the most out of the current season without any vision for long term building.  

There is no excuse for the way the defense is playing. None. It’s a failure of coaching period. Either scheme or motivation or both.

15 hours ago, hail2skins said:

The best thing that has happened this season was Fitz going down in week 1.

Agreed. Nothing against Fitz, but he was a short term solution for a rebuilding team, and by the time this team gets good, Fitz won't be here.  

I hope Heinicke plays well enough to remain the starter throughout the year so that we know what we have in him.

16 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Those so called improvements came against week competition. That Tampa playoff game exposed the true nature of the defense and we are seeing that defense this year.

You may get the number 11 part right.  Instead of 11-6, we go 6-11. Instead of 11 wins, we get 11 loses.

I disagree, the defense was flying around and much connected (on a string) than I had seen them in many years. No way was the defense we’re seeing today reflect the one I watched last season, IMO. Many changes in the secondary by the staff have proved to be a failure up to this point. 

The Tampa playoff game is a new expectation 4 times a year, even with a top tier defense— and maybe 8-10 times a year with an average to above defense. It’s the new NFL. The college has fully taken over with the combination of rule changes. Run defense was my biggest issue last season, must be elite in this category to have your defense carry you for portions of an NFL season, they were below average too many times. 

I remember when Alabama/Nick Saban cared about defensive statistics and keeping opponent scoring down, not anymore, just get timely stops and out score them. 

18 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I don’t really like this narrative spin by Rivera, but think/hope he’s more directing at the players? It seems the defense especially came in was a false sense of what is required to be consistently great in the NFL. A ho hum season was rewarded with a home playoff game and many press clippings about how great the defense is. 

18 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The growth and development piece hits home for me, very unsettling to see the defensive unit regress and appear very undisciplined. Hallmarks of Rivera led teams led us to believe the opposite would take place. Rivera gets caught in the media and statistics, but it’s more about the defensive unit not being in sync, lacking discipline, and failing to show growth early in the season.

With that said, still a lot of season left for things to change. I feel the defense overall was a bit better against the Saints, but marred by huge blunders throughout. 

The lack of discipline and "fire in the belly" is what bothers me about this season. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement in the record (maybe hoping for one, though), but I was expecting to see progress. We're not seeing that.

Rivera will get all five years if he wants them. I think he'll resign before then.

21 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Well, if RR didn't think we'd be very good this season then why did he go out and sign Fitzpatrick, Samuel and Jackson? Getting Fitz was because he thought we had a good young roster that was a vet QB away from competing. Jackson was adding to a defense that was supposed to be, not just good, but top 5 in the league by many accounts based on last seasons play.

Samuel was supposed to bring juice to the offense.....RR needs to step up and challenge these guys who aren't getting it done or he needs to make changes. I don't agree with his saying that winning the division was detrimental...teams need to learn how to win and how to handle success and get better. That's not happening here thus far.

21 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It also cost us in the draft.   If we win less game we are picking around 10th or 11th and might be able to draft Justin Fields and definitely could have drafted Mac Jones without trading up.  Are if we were 10th and didn't like eitehr we could do what the Giants did which is trade down from 10th to 20th and pick up a 2022 first rounder in the process.