Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

38 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Agreed. Tailgating atmosphere was terrible. Chargers fans were all over the place. No home field advantage at all. 

Unfortunately a lot has brought us to this.  I don't know how they fix it other than to start winning at home on a regular basis.  I like going to 1 or 2 games a year, but I won't pay for more than that at this point.    

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

We just have a bad timing picking a D guy over a QB. Like Gibbs did with Carlos Rogers over Aaron Rodgers. 

It sucks, but **** happens.  

Let's not forget this board was jumping through its own asshole last year because of Chase Young.  Let's also not forget that this defense finally came into it's own last year, partly because of him.  

Now they certainly weren't great today but there's still a lot of upside for that side of the ball, especially the D-line as a unit.  Today sucked but this team also didn't start to get it together until partway through the season last year, too.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

As opposed to the jaded contrarian know-it-all smartest guy in the room?  It's not my job to build a team or see the next great QB coming, that's a limp dick defense of the people whose job it is do that.

Yeah, but the point is that people miss on draft picks all the time in every sport. 

Are we having this conversation today if Herbert goes 15/45 for 180 yards while CY sacks him twice?  Probably not.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Now they certainly weren't great today but there's still a lot of upside for that side of the ball, especially the D-line as a unit.  Today sucked but this team also didn't start to get it together until partway through the season last year, too.

Better to start slow and then rally in November/December.  They just can't dig themselves a hole they can't get out of.  

If they are who they say they are then they defeat the Giants on Thursday night at home.

Beyond frustrated?  Yup.  Long suffering fan.  I'm a few months shy of my 58th birthday.  I'm fortunate to have witnessed the Gibbs 1.0 era.  Basically I've been rooting for a mostly garbage football franchise for 29 years now ('91 was their last truly good year), the last 20 being under the ownership of Daniel Snyder, who deserves all of the blame.

I don't even know why I continue to waste my time with them.  This is a horrible horrible franchise that is a reflection of its horrible horrible owner.  I sit here typing this as I watch Matt Stafford playing wonderfully for Coach MacVay, a great QB playing for a great coach- both of whom could have easily ended up in DC- but both are not.  and why?? Because who in their right mind would want to come here and play for a joke of a franchise and its joke of an owner.

....so yeah- I'm beyond frustrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owa said:

Very disappointed in general but really disappointed in the defense (or lack there-of).  I thought Taylor provided a spark so it'll be interesting to see what happens going forward.  Kind of amazing that San Diego had a completely rebuilt offensive line and even after losing their pro-bowler looked much more competent than ours.  A little frustrated that our "all-pro" made two very costly penalties.  That isn't how you lead by example.

That all-pro should never have been given the franchise Tag, I would have even have taken a 3rd round pick for him. We could have played Schweitzer either at RG or LG with Flowers playing the other, I don't think we would have seen that much of a drop-off personally. With the choice we made of signing Fitzpatrick and giving Sherff the Franchise Tag, we could have gone with Heinicke and had another 28m cap space, maybe even get a couple of good LB'S. 

Hindsight aside, Washington picking Young was the no-brainer at that time.

It would have been hard to explain passing on a "generational-quality" DE, in order to pick up ANOTHER QB in the first round, after having picked Haskins in the 1st round of the previous year, and also still having Alex Smith on the roster.  And It had not yet been determined that Haskins was a bust for Washington.

And as I recall, there were evaluators who had been pointing to potential "gaps" in Herbert's game for successfully transitioning to the NFL and questioning how well he might cope with NFL defenses' speed and complexity.

....  However, in hindsight, Herbert, has looked good with the Chargers, especially with that solid O-line.  Still, despite today's game, Young is going to be a great DE for Washington and a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by Wyvern

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It sucks, but **** happens.  

Let's not forget this board was jumping through its own asshole last year because of Chase Young.  Let's also not forget that this defense finally came into it's own last year, partly because of him.  

Yeah, but the point is that people miss on draft picks all the time in every sport. 

Are we having this conversation today if Herbert goes 15/45 for 180 yards while CY sacks him twice?  Probably not.  

I’m curious as to why you think this d-line will get better. I see guys who are rarely capable of winning one on one battles rushing the passer. 

Seriously, what was Turners game plan up until Fitz got hurt? Drop him back and hope he makes magical throws? The Chargers were teeing off on him and we did no draw plays or screen passes? Leaving Cosmi one on one with Bosa was a terrible idea....

I'm also starting to wonder if Gibson is an every down feature back...he has the skills but he is still so new to the position, especially in the NFL. I worry about his ability to take hits over a full seaon and stay healthy.

They looked like they heard all the hype everyone was talking about being a top 5 defense an forgot to come out and play. The LB is still the worst spot on the team. The Dl can't expect to tae up the blocks and the LBs to be out of position. Jon Bostic is terrible as LB. He was always trying to get out to his guy because he plays to far inside. Herbert had no pressure in his face and anyone could have sat back in the pocket and complete those passes. I thought we upgraded our CB's but they looked lost out there. Too many holes in the defense. It is going to be a long season with a lot of losing against the top tier teams that they will face. 

After thinking about this for most of the afternoon, I think the thing I'm the most frustrated at is the general malaise with which this team played today.

It's something that's been here for years and years.  It's been here before Rivera, before Jay, before Shanny, before Zorn...it's just been here for awhile.

I think you guys know what I'm talking about.  Just a team that shows up, plays well enough to be in the game for a little bit but doesn't really deserve to be and the score isn't really a good indicator of what's actually happening on the field.  No one really has a great performance, no one takes over.  No one unit really shines.  No big plays.  Not able to capitalize on turnovers.  

Just malaise, I can't think of a better way to describe it.  It's just hard to pinpoint it, but watching the game today, I felt like I was watching a Gruden game. I felt like I was watching a Shanahan game.  It's just that same gray haze that's fogging my memory over the past 25 years where teams are indistinguishable from one year to the next, mostly because while the names and faces change, the results largely are the same.  And that result is usually just...meh.  

That's the most frustrating thing for me today, I think.  I felt like we just watched a Shanny/Jay game.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Hindsight aside, Washington picking Young was the no-brainer at that time.

It would have been hard to explain passing on a "generational-quality" DE, in order to pick up ANOTHER QB in the first round, after having picked Haskins in the 1st round of the previous year, and also still having Alex Smith on the roster.  And It had not yet been determined that Haskins was a bust for Washington.

And as I recall, there were evaluators who had been pointing to potential "gaps" in Herbert's game for successfully transitioning to the NFL and questioning how well he might cope with NFL defenses' speed and complexity.

....  However, in hindsight, Herbert, has looked good with the Chargers, especially with that solid O-line.

Exactly-  Which is why the stupid meddling by the owner who wants to be able to play with his shiny toy has consequences that go far far beyond him just insisting that the WFT draft Haskins.  By selecting Haskins, and then having a new coaching staff come in,  another draft season was wasted at the qb position so that Washington could find out what exactly they had in Haskins 

5 minutes ago, Capsman said:

I’m curious as to why you think this d-line will get better. I see guys who are rarely capable of winning one on one battles rushing the passer. 

Because there's too much talent there for them to be as bad as they were today.  

And this will also sound like an excuse but I think the NFL pre-season does teams a disservice because they don't get enough time to play together.  And that's fine, I get not wanting to play your starters too much in the pre-season, you don't want to get anyone injured.  

But again, they didn't start to get it together until partway through last year.  I don't think what we saw today will be indicative of what we're going to see for the entire year.  This is one game out of 17.  While today sucked and was frustrating, let's not write off the entire season just yet.  

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

Picking Chase over Hebbert isn’t that bad since, what is bad is picking Jamin instead of going for a QB this year. 

The good QBs were all taken before we picked at 19. Now if you're advocating trading up, well we don't know what offers were or weren't made. By all counts we tried to trade up to the top 10 but the price was just too high.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

After thinking about this for most of the afternoon, I think the thing I'm the most frustrated at is the general malaise with which this team played today.

It's something that's been here for years and years.  It's been here before Rivera, before Jay, before Shanny, before Zorn...it's just been here for awhile.

I think you guys know what I'm talking about.  Just a team that shows up, plays well enough to be in the game for a little bit but doesn't really deserve to be and the score isn't really a good indicator of what's actually happening on the field.  No one really has a great performance, no one takes over.  No one unit really shines.  No big plays.  Not able to capitalize on turnovers.  

Just malaise, I can't think of a better way to describe it.  It's just hard to pinpoint it, but watching the game today, I felt like I was watching a Gruden game. I felt like I was watching a Shanahan game.  It's just that same gray haze that's fogging my memory over the past 25 years where teams are indistinguishable from one year to the next, mostly because while the names and faces change, the results largely are the same.  And that result is usually just...meh.  

That's the most frustrating thing for me today, I think.  I felt like we just watched a Shanny/Jay game.  

Yeah. I was hoping that Rivera would instill some toughness. I guess the first sign that the culture didn't change was the resistance to vaccination. But the overall effort, the sloppy tackling, the degree to which they regressed on D from last year was awful to witness again.

I remember the Norv teams where Connell and Westbrook would brag about being unstoppable and being the best receivers in the league right before getting stomped. Big heads and little hearts have been a part of this team's DNA since the 1990's.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borgold said:

Yeah. I was hoping that Rivera would instill some toughness. I guess the first sign that the culture didn't change was the resistance to vaccination. But the overall effort, the sloppy tackling, the degree to which they regressed on D from last year was awful to witness again.

I remember the Norv teams where Connell and Westbrook would brag about being unstoppable and being the best receivers in the league right before getting stomped. Big heads and little hearts have been a part of this team's DNA since the 1990's.

Over promise and under deliver. The Washington Football way.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Hopefully this will wake up the team, bigger game coming up on Thursday.  They all have things to improve before then.

There's a part of me that wondered, even during the game, if they were looking past the Chargers. It'd be stupid. There are too few games in an NFL season not to go all out for each one (especially a winnable one), but it wouldn't surprise me if they were thinking about Thursday.

5 minutes ago, Borgold said:

There's a part of me that wondered, even during the game, if they were looking past the Chargers. It'd be stupid. There are too few games in an NFL season not to go all out for each one (especially a winnable one), but it wouldn't surprise me if they were thinking about Thursday.

No way. Its week freaking one. You wait ~8 months for this moment.

We just got beat. Outplayed and outcoached. Period.

10 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

It’s the same **** with this team year after year.  Just resign yourselves that a team that can’t even pick a name for itself is going to be a perineal loser.  

“A team that can’t even pick a name for itself” um, except you’re wrong. They decided on a name, they’re going through the legal stuff now.