Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Shaka Toney, Edge Penn State

zCommander

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

You know, I thought about this a bit through the draft process.  Was picturing them (the general ‘them’, not specifically Penn State) chalking the lines a tad short, lowering the bar on the vert machine a bit, etc.  Probably not the corners you were referring to, but... doesn’t seem like it would that hard to tinker with some of those things (I could be way wrong).  At the least, it’s certainly important to note those were Pro Day #s vs Combine, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

that stuff is all possible too.  I felt like it was pretty obvious they were short arming the 3 cone drill but im not an expert so idk.  figures they would do a lot of little things if they could get away with it.    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bifflog said:

I think it's the perfect use of a 7th rounder, tbh.  Take this risk, if it hits its like getting a free 2nd round pick.

Considering he was to go late 4th early 5th, we got a steal already.  And being a PSU fan I can tell you this kid is for real.  He will more than surprise us.  His playing time will increase as the season goes on.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Considering he was to go late 4th early 5th, we got a steal already.  And being a PSU fan I can tell you this kid is for real.  He will more than surprise us.  His playing time will increase as the season goes on.

Do you think he has what it takes to play in space as a SAM backer? 

After listening to Shaka Toney’s coach on Kevin’s podcast I’m feeling pretty optimistic about him working out as a linebacker. He actually committed originally as a linebacker in college and then switched to DE. He’s got a very high football IQ and according to his coach could have played Mike or WILL for them      

I think he could be this years Kam Curl as far as a 7th rounder showing out, that he should have been drafted higher. 

He’s a high character, high work ethic, high iq player, with plus pass rushing ability, bend, and explosion. He knows what nearly everyone on his defense is doing, he understands offensive systems and how to attack them within his fit, and he was the dude everyone on the team turned too when they needed help, from life to football.  

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

After listening to Shaka Toney’s coach on Kevin’s podcast I’m feeling pretty optimistic about him working out as a linebacker. He actually committed originally as a linebacker in college and then switched to DE. He’s got a very high football IQ and according to his coach could have played Mike or WILL for them      

I think he could be this years Kam Curl as far as a 7th rounder showing out, that he should have been drafted higher. 

He’s a high character, high work ethic, high iq player, with plus pass rushing ability, bend, and explosion. He knows what nearly everyone on his defense is doing, he understands offensive systems and how to attack them within his fit, and he was the dude everyone on the team turned too when they needed help, from life to football.  

Good summary.  I listened to it this morning.  Just adding a little bit. He speculated he may have fallen in the draft because of his size.  But he said that he makes up for his size with his length so he's not a liability as for stopping the run.  He's a three down player, etc.   They used him and Parsons too as a spy when they played mobile QBs.  They let him free lance some because of his football intelligence because they trusted his instincts.

The Parsons stuff what they got into, we wouldn't love.  He said Parsons is the most competitive player he's ever had, with elite acceleration, could be just as good a pass rusher as he is a LB.  And he vouched hard for his character. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good summary.  I listened to it this morning.  Just adding a little bit. He speculated he may have fallen in the draft because of his size.  But he said that he makes up for his size with his length so he's not a liability as for stopping the run.  He's a three down player, etc.   They used him and Parsons too as a spy when they played mobile QBs.  They let him free lance some because of his football intelligence because they trusted his instincts.

The Parsons stuff what they got into, we wouldn't love.  He said Parsons is the most competitive player he's ever had, with elite acceleration, could be just as good a pass rusher as he is a LB.  And he vouched hard for his character. 

Hate to say it now that Parsons is on the Cowboys, but I think all that character stuff is overblown.  Parsons breaths football and he has the speed to be very effective at this level.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:46 AM, TheGreek1973 said:

Hate to say it now that Parsons is on the Cowboys, but I think all that character stuff is overblown.  Parsons breaths football and he has the speed to be very effective at this level.  

I dunno, he really does seem like a knucklehead and those accusations against him weren't for minor things...inciting a riot and sexual assault are pretty serious. Plus, we know by now that the Cowboy culture is basically a breeding ground where character concerns flourish. I could see him getting into some **** eventually. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cowboys have had excellent LBers forever it feels like. They really skimped on the rest of the defense though. Especially secondary. Itll be funny to see how Parsons handles it, when Davis wins DROTY.

To be fair, they drafted 3 corners this year after drafting 2 last year (both guys I was high on - Diggs and Reggie Robinson).  

• Like 1

Cowboys have star linebackers and still have a completely **** ass defense that we dropped 40 on with our god awful offense on Thanksgiving day.  The linebackers are the least important element of the defense.  That said, we've god an absolutely kick ass secondary and defensive line and now that we have some fast linebackers, we're going to finish defensive stands with aggression and make lots of plays.

Need the offense to carry its weight though.  Hoping Fitzy stays healthy and seizes his moment this year.  This is his year to make a run.  The team has come together around him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cowboys have star linebackers and still have a completely **** ass defense that we dropped 40 on them.

Mike Nolan is no longer their DC. That alone is going to make them an improved unit. And Dan Quinn might be the kind of guy who can get them straight. I wouldn’t rule out a big transformation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Mike Nolan is no longer their DC. That alone is going to make them an improved unit. And Dan Quinn might be the kind of guy who can get them straight. I wouldn’t rule out a big transformation.

This is my fear too, everybody is acting like their defense is going to suck because it sucked last year.

Two years ago our defense was atrocious and last year it was top 5, we still had flaws but we were vastly improved and most of that was coaching. 

The cowboys defense will probably still have flaws due to personnel issues and first year coordinator but there's a good chance it will be vastly improved. 

10 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Meh, Dan Quinn ain't all that. His Ds in Seattle were super simple in scheme and were only so dominant because they had All Pros/future HOFers all over the secondary.

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Meh, Dan Quinn ain't all that. His Ds in Seattle were super simple in scheme and were only so dominant because they had All Pros/future HOFers all over the secondary.

He coached the Falcons to a Super Bowl. Poor coaches don’t do that. I’m not saying he’s going to be an instant saviour. But he’s an upgrade, we’ll see how much, and coaches matter.

• 5 months later...