Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Shaka Toney, Edge Penn State

zCommander

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Of course the clip of Toney showing good coverage is against Bates, lol.  He put those long arms to good use with the jam, mirrored well and turned his head at the right time.  Made it look easy.

I like how he got his head around, too. I think he weighed in at only 238lb at the Senior Bowl significantly lighter than at PSU. Makes me think he knows his future is at LB in the pros. 

Here’s a nice summary article on his Senior Bowl performance:

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate/football/penn-state-shaka-toney-at-the-senior-bowl

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

I like how he got his head around, too. I think he weighed in at only 238lb at the Senior Bowl significantly lighter than at PSU. Makes me think he knows his future is at LB in the pros. 

Here’s a nice summary article on his Senior Bowl performance:

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate/football/penn-state-shaka-toney-at-the-senior-bowl

I saw that weight listing and it surprised me.  It makes sense though - I imagine teams looking at his playing weight of 251 believed he could add 10 lbs in the Pros; showing up at 238 allowed him to showcase his LB side/potential.

• Like 1

Mano a mano—— Future WFT draft pick vs future WFT draft pick.

Shaka Toney displaying his coverage skills at the Senior Bowl vs. the hottest receiving TE that week—— 4th round WFT pick JOHN “M” BATES!!

Round two starts in mini-camp next week in Ashburn. Get yo popcorn!

• Like 5

Don’t know if this was mentioned, but I just read that if you put Toney’s RAS numbers into the linebacker group instead of DEs, it’s a 9.92.  Top 1% of linebacker’s since 1987.

Comparing Jamin Davis/Toney (eerily similar)

HT: 6034/6024

Wt: 234/243 (now down to 235)

Bench: 21/23

40: 4.48/4.51

20 yd split: 2.61/2.63

10 yd split: 1.53/1.58

Vert: 42/38

Broad: 11/1008

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

8 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Shaka has the intangibles to be a good fit at SAM.  

I feel like we have two major questions for him - coverage ability (he’s got the athleticism though) and instincts to play the position.  He’s got the athletic ability, is used to taking on blocks, has a motor, seems like a high character guy, looks like a solid tackler and should be good rushing the passer.  I feel like he can be a solid depth player (and good ST player) - in time possibly learning all 3 spots - and if he answers the above questions in the affirmative, he could be a guy that surprises and earns a starting position.  I’m assuming we’re at least a year from there though, quite possibly more like 2.  He’s virtually the perfect type of player to earn the last linebacker spot.  Way more upside than guys we’ve typically had in that spot.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I feel like we have two major questions for him - coverage ability (he’s got the athleticism though) and instincts to play the position.  He’s got the athletic ability, is used to taking on blocks, has a motor, seems like a high character guy, looks like a solid tackler and should be good rushing the passer.  I feel like he can be a solid depth player (and good ST player) - in time possibly learning all 3 spots - and if he answers the above questions in the affirmative, he could be a guy that surprises and earns a starting position.  I’m assuming we’re at least a year from there though, quite possibly more like 2.  He’s virtually the perfect type of player to earn the last linebacker spot.  Way more upside than guys we’ve typically had in that spot.

I wouldn't be super worried about his coverage ability. IMO he's more of a situational SAM for pass rushing in a 4-3 Under front, not really a 3 down guy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Most of the info if not all was given to the O.  Our O needed to be improved and I think reporters focused more on O than D.  You will hear about the D soon enough, I believe.  :) 

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, mistertim said:

I wouldn't be super worried about his coverage ability. IMO he's more of a situational SAM for pass rushing in a 4-3 Under front, not really a 3 down guy.

Meant to respond a while ago.  So I agree in the sense they’re not expecting him to play nickel; he’s probably more likely to be our 4th or 5th edge rusher (used situationally), and only occasionally dropping in coverage, but... 

Playing around 235lbs with the athleticism he’s shown, I think eventually he (like Jamin), could compete for Will and Sam, and possibly back up Davis and Holcomb in a nickel role.  IMO, this only happens if he addresses those two questions/concerns I brought up - the LB instincts and yes, coverage ability.  My hunch is he’ll be given plenty of time to learn though - he’s probably our last or 2nd to last linebacker  - maybe earning some situational snaps at first.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RWJ said:

Most of the info if not all was given to the O.  Our O needed to be improved and I think reporters focused more on O than D.  You will hear about the D soon enough, I believe.  :) 

True. I don't recall hearing about St. Juste or Derrick Forrest either. I'd like to know how our new D toys are gonna look.

I'm optimistic about Toney, in particular.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, bird_1972 said:

In reading all of the reports from rookie camp, why isn't Shaka Toney or William Bradley-King being talked about at all? Did they not participate this weekend?

The reporters were stationed by the offense’s practice field and too far away from where the defense was, so they couldn’t see much on them. 

11 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I like his chances of becoming a 3 down lber in the next two years, I smell a steal here.

I dunno...how often do full time 4-3 DEs go to a team and transition to 3 down 4-3 LBs successfully? More often they end up as 3-4 OLBs who are primarily pass rushers. I still see him as more of a situational SAM but if he did manage to completely change his position and become a stud, that would be awesome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I dunno...how often do full time 4-3 DEs go to a team and transition to 3 down 4-3 LBs successfully?... if he did manage to completely change his position and become a stud, that would be awesome.

I think it's the perfect use of a 7th rounder, tbh.  Take this risk, if it hits its like getting a free 2nd round pick.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I think it's the perfect use of a 7th rounder, tbh.  Take this risk, if it hits its like getting a free 2nd round pick.

Actually, with this team, if he *busts* it's like getting a free 2nd round pick.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I dunno...how often do full time 4-3 DEs go to a team and transition to 3 down 4-3 LBs successfully? More often they end up as 3-4 OLBs who are primarily pass rushers. I still see him as more of a situational SAM but if he did manage to completely change his position and become a stud, that would be awesome.

From the games I saw he played the run very well also - in space especially , so thats two duties I think he has a feel for. He looked good in coverage drills in the senior bowl, so if he continues to flash in coverage I bet they move him there sooner rather than later.  His agility and speed is much better than most "tweener" guys. Also JDR said he specifically would be trained in LBer (probably the long term goal) and edge rush (short term). 

If he had gotten a chance to play more lber in college he wouldn't have slid to the 7th round imo. Obviously these are mostly uneducated gut feelings but when I watch him play I see linebacker. If he doesn't? I think he is still a good situational rusher

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preseason will be very telling. 

Worth noting he's also wearing number 58. Traditionally that's a LB number moreso than a DE number.

I hope he flashes enough at OLB that they fully commit to him there. Dream scenario is he's this year's Kam Curl and locks down a starting job. But I would be more than happy if he earned the primary backup OLB and gets situational snaps this year and it takes him until next year to become a full time starter. 

• Like 3

On 5/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, skinny21 said:

Don’t know if this was mentioned, but I just read that if you put Toney’s RAS numbers into the linebacker group instead of DEs, it’s a 9.92.  Top 1% of linebacker’s since 1987.

Comparing Jamin Davis/Toney (eerily similar)

HT: 6034/6024

Wt: 234/243 (now down to 235)

Bench: 21/23

40: 4.48/4.51

20 yd split: 2.61/2.63

10 yd split: 1.53/1.58

Vert: 42/38

Broad: 11/1008

I really like Toney and think he will be good, but these numbers were almost too good for a 7th round pick.  I went back and looked at the penn state pro day video on youtube because I was curious.  IMO they let those guys cut a few corners here and there and while I still think he would be an elite athlete, there might be a little number fudging to reach that percentile.   Parsons and Oweh's numbers are probably a little inflated too, if I had to guess.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurseReversed said:

I really like Toney and think he will be good, but these numbers were almost too good for a 7th round pick.  I went back and looked at the penn state pro day video on youtube because I was curious.  IMO they let those guys cut a few corners here and there and while I still think he would be an elite athlete, there might be a little number fudging to reach that percentile.   Parsons and Oweh's numbers are probably a little inflated too, if I had to guess.   

You know, I thought about this a bit through the draft process.  Was picturing them (the general ‘them’, not specifically Penn State) chalking the lines a tad short, lowering the bar on the vert machine a bit, etc.  Probably not the corners you were referring to, but... doesn’t seem like it would that hard to tinker with some of those things (I could be way wrong).  At the least, it’s certainly important to note those were Pro Day #s vs Combine, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 2