Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jamin is basically Josh Doctson. He will be out of football after his next stint. We twist ourselves into making excuses. The good players play well from the start then improve. Jamin sucks at NFL football. Seems like a decent kid. He just can’t play at this level. Simple as that. 

I certainly agree with all of that.  I don't think the kid is NFL material.  That part of my post was more of a "If the kid does actually develop and become good, it'll be with another club" on my part.  I definitely can see a JD thing happen to him.  

I liked JOK too...sniff. Man he would have been the perfect fit for this team.

I didn't even have Jamin as a possibility in the first round but I must admit that after the propaganda campaign started they hooked me with his athleticism and hilight reel.

My memory is foggy but wasn't there some obviously overblown predraft rumor/concern that JOK had medical issues that would likely lead to a very iffy career?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Davis has played well this year, especially the last game.

He was terrible vs the Jags.

He was much better against Det, and even had a couple impact plays which is a rarity for him. The news was not all good however as the coaches were constantly pulling him off the field.

Jamin went from 93% of snaps vs Jax to 62% vs Det.

I don't know if the lower snap count was part of the gameplan, or being yanked for making mistakes, but for whatever reason the coaches did not want him out there nearly as much as in the past. Keeping him fresh might have proved to do him some good however.

How many snaps he gets vs Philly will be telling.

2 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

My memory is foggy but wasn't there some obviously overblown predraft rumor/concern that JOK had medical issues that would likely lead to a very iffy career?

There was a ton of concern over a potential heart issue.

Its why he fell so far

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd give Davis a little more time.  He wasn't who I wanted at 19 but I didn't hate the pick.

Sadly the dude I wanted, JOK, is having a nice start to his career. 

So is Anthony Walker who has been a reasonably priced FA 2 years running.

26 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yeah thart supposedly what drive him being dropped.  I recall Keim saying JOK was on their radar but somehow they went with Jamin in the end.  Stories are circulating now that not all in the draft room agreed with Jamin as the pick and that's part of the current tension now about the player. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah thart supposedly what drive him being dropped.  I recall Keim saying JOK was on their radar but somehow they went with Jamin in the end.  Stories are circulating now that not all in the draft room agreed with Jamin as the pick and that's part of the current tension now about the player. 

We could and should have Darrisaw and JOK instead of Jamin and Cosmi... tell me you wouldn't make that swap in a new york minute... sigh

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With the little we know about "tension" and who that comes from seems like of all the people Ron seemed to be the guy defending him the most last year.  Maybe he's falling on the sword for someone else but it surprises me with his ridicule this year.  I guess maybe they haven't been able to get through to Jamin with being overly supportive.  

Jamin does not have the leadership personality to play middle linebacker. JDR wasted his entire first year forcing him somewhere he shouldn't be. I think Jamin and Cole can become better than average OLBs.  We've already seen Cole have great games for us in the past.  As crazy as it sounds, they need to put Bostic back in at MLB.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Jamin does not have the leadership personality to play middle linebacker. JDR wasted his entire first year forcing him somewhere he shouldn't be. I think Jamin and Cole can become better than average OLBs.  We've already seen Cole have great games for us in the past.  As crazy as it sounds, they need to put Bostic back in at MLB.

Holcomb is a fine SSLB when playing next to a heady leader type of MLB. As bad as Bostic was physically, he was good in that "head of the defense" role and Holcomb was at his best in 2020 playing next to him. Unfortunately we need someone with Bostic's head in a body that can actually play up to the standard of 2002 NFL football. 

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cosmi hasn't been bad though. How has Darrisaw been? Vikings OL wasn't great last night.

Agreed.  Vikings were bad all over the place last night.  But internally the Vikings have been comparing him favorably to one Trent Williams.  Now no one is saying at this point that he is going to end up that good, but is anyone at all comparing Jamin to the likes of Bobby Wagner or Darius Leonard (i.e. one of the best players in the NFL at his position)?

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I’d be lining this guy up all over to create pass rushing mismatches.  Go chase the qb youngin.  Create havoc.  Think about nothing but causing disruption.  Make the game small for him and maximize his speed and explosiveness 🤷‍♂️ 

You can’t line up Davis like Micah Parsons where he is just rushing the qb. We only run 2 backers so you need those guys to play the run. If you want to take out a defensive end on passing downs so Jamin can rush, that’s different. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

You can’t line up Davis like Micah Parsons where he is just rushing the qb. We only run 2 backers so you need those guys to play the run. If you want to take out a defensive end on passing downs so Jamin can rush, that’s different. 

gotta get out the box with your thinking.  There’s multiple ways to roll coverage, personnel groupings etc that you’d utilize to refer unleashing Davis feasible.  You don’t do it in a vacuum.  You do it with all layers of the d understanding that we’re not playing soft coverage anymore.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I find it amusing that Holcomb continues to skate beyond criticism but our best LB right now is Davis. It's not saying much, but it's true. 

Could not agree more.  Holcomb is a JAG.  Rivera most likely likes his football IQ and practices really hard, etc etc.  We need players.  I want players.  I do not want people who are nice, good people, great in the community.......You know what I want, FOOTBALL PLAYERS, DAWGS!!!!!!!!  Guys that breath the game.  WINNERS GD!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Redwards said:

I certainly agree with all of that.  I don't think the kid is NFL material.  That part of my post was more of a "If the kid does actually develop and become good, it'll be with another club" on my part.  I definitely can see a JD thing happen to him.  

Wow this seems harsh. I very much disagree. Jamin will be fine... One day

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 3:25 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Jamin has a long way to go, but our 2021 draft class is a weak one. Probably a bottom 5 draft in the NFL. Not impressed by the the two GMs Rivera picked. 

You mentioned the biggest problem without emphasizing it. 

"Not impressed by the the two GMs Rivera picked".

How can the coach pick the GMS, and then have the GM do an adequate job.  That's not how it works.  This is rinse and repeat with this so called franchise.  Snyderitis, but I digress.

You hire a president, he hires a GM the GM hires the coach, very simple chain of command with aligned goals.  It's so simple, and we keep doing it the other way. 🤦‍♂️

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, sebestian said:

You mentioned the biggest problem without emphasizing it. 

"Not impressed by the the two GMs Rivera picked".

How can the coach pick the GMS, and then have the GM do an adequate job.  That's not how it works.  This is rinse and repeat with this so called franchise.  Snyderitis, but I digress.

You hire a president, he hires a GM the GM hires the coach, very simple chain of command with aligned goals.  It's so simple, and we keep doing it the other way. 🤦‍♂️

We had that with Bruce after Shanny left.  Jay was Bruce's guy.  When Gibbs left Cerrato became the defacto GM without having the title.  The problem with that model here IMO is a non-coach centric model translates to either Dan being the defacto GM or Dan having a buddy who he co-GMS with behind the scenes.

The coach centric models -- Gibbs-Marty-Shanny-now -- reputably has had less Dan interference.  I am not sure Dan would allow a GM centric model not to mean that he at a minimum is is co-GM. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We had that with Bruce after Shanny left.  Jay was Bruce's guy.  When Gibbs left Cerrato became the defacto GM without having the title.  The problem with that model here IMO is a non-coach centric model translates to either Dan being the defacto GM or Dan having a buddy who he co-GMS with behind the scenes.

The coach centric models -- Gibbs-Marty-Shanny-now -- reputably has had less Dan interference.  I am not sure Dan would allow a GM centric model not to mean that he at a minimum is is co-GM. 

Agreed.

That’s why there is no hope. 

We are trying to figure out a way to not have the owner of a team not be so involved that it becomes a hindrance. 

Unbelievable. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Agreed.

That’s why there is no hope. 

We are trying to figure out a way to not have the owner of a team not be so involved that it becomes a hindrance. 

Unbelievable. 

Yeah its a catch 22.

Some here tout the GM model.  I tout, it too. I used to tout it hard.  But the more I absorb stories over time that filter out, ala Kyle Smith was down on Derrius Guice because of the stories about him and Dan felt differently and overruled him -- and Bruce was his shield so he can make moves likes this in the dark.   I don't buy that the next GM wouldn't be Dan's shield-buddy.

I don't blame Rivera or any coach for demanding control.  While i agree its less ideal than the traditional method -- it actually oddly might be the only model to mitigate Dan to some extent.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

We could and should have Darrisaw and JOK instead of Jamin and Cosmi... tell me you wouldn't make that swap in a new york minute... sigh

I'd rather have Cosmi and JOK.  Should have just picked JOK at 19 instead of Jamin, which was a fair draft range for him.  I was a Darrisaw fan, but I think Cosmi is better than him and was certainly better value as a second round pick.

Jamin was a first round reach but that doesn't mean he'll bust.  He needs time.  To me Del Rio is the one who looks bad and incompetent for publicly throwing him under the boss, not Jamin.

• Like 1

People talk about JOK like he was a godsend. His stats are comparable to Davis. 

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       16 12 0 0 0 0 4 3 0 0 0 0 1.5 90 60 30 6 4  

2021 22 CLE LLB 28 14 10 0 0 0 0 4 2 0 0 0 0 1.5 76 49 27 3 4   4
2022 23 CLE LB 28 2 2           1 0 0 0 0 0.0 14 11 3 3 0    

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       18 9 0 0 0 0 1           2.0 83 54 29 4 4   4
2021 23 WAS MLB 52 16 8 0 0 0 0 1           1.0 76 48 28 3 2   4
2022 24 WAS LB 52 2 1                     1.0 7 6 1 1 2    

Even if we ignore the basic numbers we see that they have similar AV of 4. Thats below what we'd want in a starter at 6 or 7 but they've got similar number of tackles and TFL. You can see the things like PD and FF favor JOK but its not like he played lights out last year. 

I compare this to Kam Curl and his rookie year in terms of what a good rookie season looked like 

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Career       32 25 3 88 1 76 9 0 0 1 0 0 3.0 187 125 62 6 8   11
2020 21 WAS SS 31 16 11 3 88 1 76 4           2.0 88 63 25 4 5   7
2021 22 WAS FS 31 16 14 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 1 0 0 1.0 99 62 37 2 3   4

Again, ignoring the pure stat numbers and looking at the AV and you see that he has an AV of 7 - thats something that I see that shows he should be a starter in the league. 

Heck, going farther here's a look at the LBs picked in 2021 who have a better AV than Davis:

Micah Parsons who we had no chance to pick

Nick Bolton (6), picked in the second 83 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

Pete Werner (5), picked in the second 54 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

Baron Browning (5), picked in the third 33 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

JOK (4), picked in the second, 60 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 0 ints

Davis (4), picked in the first, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 ints. 

This was not a good LB class.