Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hamilton. He has higher upside and could be truly elite. I'm not sure London has the same kinda upside.

I agree with you big time.  Can not pass on Hamilton.  Just can not do it.  London is good but Hamilton is the pick.  Man i hope your right!!

There are better WR at 47 then there is safeties relative to their rank of their respective positions.

I just don't see the greatness of drake London. Sure he gets contested catches. Great. Yeah he's Physical...get some yac...great. great catch radius...great. I don't see great explosiveness off the line. I don't see greater route running or great separation. Doesn't have great speed. So when he's going against bigger better cornerbacks who can stay on him his one skill of making tough catches is gonna be 50-50.  Devonta Smith who weighs 110 lbs and gets bullied on the line has great speed and great route running and put up some good numbers as a rookie. Idk why we so stuck in wanting to draft the next te to transition from wr.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I found this about Hamilton, his injury history.  Does it make any of you concerned?  He sure has been injured a lot in a short period of time.  Read the article for more specifics on the injuries.  Should be of some concern.  

2022 NFL Draft Impact: Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton | Cover 1

Kyle Hamilton Injury History

2014 – Undisclosed – Jr. High. Hamilton had an injury in 8th grade, but no diagnosis was ever reported.

2015  Right Wrist Fracture – High school. Hamilton’s wrist injury ended his quarterback career and nearly ended his football career with multiple basketball scholarships coming in already.

2018 – Hip injury – High School. Hamilton injured his hip while diving for a loose ball while playing basketball. The article reports that he “blew out his IT band.”

2018  Left Pinky Dislocation – Highschool. Hamilton played through an entire 7-on-7 tournament after dislocating his pinky in practice.

2020  Left Low Ankle Sprain – 9/12 vs Duke. Rolled up while attempting to secure a fumble, Hamilton missed the next game (USF) before returning and playing every other game of the season.

2021  Ankle surgery – In the spring of 2021, Hamilton underwent a minor ankle procedure, missing some of Notre Dame’s spring practices. 

2021  Right Knee Fat Pad Impingement – 10/23 vs USC. Hamilton dealt with this condition for most of 2021 and missed the final 6 games of the season. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I found this about Hamilton, his injury history.  Does it make any of you concerned?  He sure has been injured a lot in a short period of time.  Read the article for more specifics on the injuries.  Should be of some concern.  

2022 NFL Draft Impact: Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton | Cover 1

Kyle Hamilton Injury History

2014 – Undisclosed – Jr. High. Hamilton had an injury in 8th grade, but no diagnosis was ever reported.

2015  Right Wrist Fracture – High school. Hamilton’s wrist injury ended his quarterback career and nearly ended his football career with multiple basketball scholarships coming in already.

2018 – Hip injury – High School. Hamilton injured his hip while diving for a loose ball while playing basketball. The article reports that he “blew out his IT band.”

2018  Left Pinky Dislocation – Highschool. Hamilton played through an entire 7-on-7 tournament after dislocating his pinky in practice.

2020  Left Low Ankle Sprain – 9/12 vs Duke. Rolled up while attempting to secure a fumble, Hamilton missed the next game (USF) before returning and playing every other game of the season.

2021  Ankle surgery – In the spring of 2021, Hamilton underwent a minor ankle procedure, missing some of Notre Dame’s spring practices. 

2021  Right Knee Fat Pad Impingement – 10/23 vs USC. Hamilton dealt with this condition for most of 2021 and missed the final 6 games of the season. 

Shoot, that seems like any competitive athlete. Those injuries don’t concern me like foot injuries, multiple ACLs, or worst of all, a concussion history (would take a player off the board  for me)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I just don't see the greatness of drake London. Sure he gets contested catches. Great. Yeah he's Physical...get some yac...great. great catch radius...great. I don't see great explosiveness off the line. I don't see greater route running or great separation. Doesn't have great speed. So when he's going against bigger better cornerbacks who can stay on him his one skill of making tough catches is gonna be 50-50.  Devonta Smith who weighs 110 lbs and gets bullied on the line has great speed and great route running and put up some good numbers as a rookie. Idk why we so stuck in wanting to draft the next te to transition from wr.

I too would prefer a more speedy and explosive WR, but I do think there is a place for someone like London with his size and route running.

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

J Docston from Penn State- wow.

I think I like everything about him. Looks like Emmanuel Sanders or even Santana Moss.

I wonder if he would last to our 2nd rounder?

You even called him Doctson instead of Dotson. Case closed. 

• Haha 4

There's some recent chatter about Hamilton sliding. I don't buy it. Not for a second.

So he ran a 4.59 40-yard dash in Indy ... Who cares? At 6-4 and 220 pounds, he's an excellent safety who dominated at Notre Dame while showcasing a versatile game that translates brilliantly to the modern NFL. Watch the college tape -- speed was never an issue.

Hamilton's a top-10 talent in this draft class all day long. There's no such thing as picking him too high on Thursday night. And if he somehow falls to Washington at No. 11, the Commanders should pop bubbly as they race the card in. Remember when everyone let versatile DB Derwin James fall all the way to No. 17 in the 2018 draft? That was dumb. Can't see history repeating itself here.

source-NFL.com

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 3

Hamilton has rare height (6-4), length and fluidity for the safety position. Against the pass, his versatility is a major asset. He has exceptional instincts from the deep half and his range is off the charts (see: INT vs. Florida State). He eats up ground quickly with his long stride and has the athleticism and speed to mirror tight ends and slot wideouts all over the field. Hamilton is an explosive blitzer from depth. He can find and play the ball with ease. Against the run, his burst and angles to the ball are highly impressive, but he will go low and miss a few tackles. I love his competitiveness and production covering punts. Hamilton has all of the tools to emerge as a Pro Bowler early in his career.

DJ has him ranked as the fifth best prospect in this years entire class.  

Edited by sebestian

I agree with the theory that the local media is being told London. Unless they all have the same source, which would seem to be unlikely, I can't imagine so many people in the organization leaking the same name. Hopefully this is a diversion to get Williams.

47 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You even called him Doctson instead of Dotson. Case closed. 

But he’s fast. The only thing that matters for a receiver. Surprised you don’t think he’s destined to be the GOAT :ols:

Well, he only runs a 4.43 so actually, turtles obviously move quicker. Never mind. Way too slow.

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1

If Hamilton is there and we cant trade down... i am leaning on taking him. This team historically gets killed by TEs because no one at LB or in the secondary can cover a TE worth a damn. It would be nice to have this kid take the other teams TE out of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But he’s fast. The only thing that matters for a receiver. Surprised you don’t think he’s destined to be the GOAT :ols:

Dude if you call them all busts you are nearly always right and can tell everyone your are smarter than they are!

I do like  both Ohio state WRs though. Which probably means they are busts too! 😂 

By “you” I mean me. That my thing. Call them all busts and be right!  Lol

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

If its Jameson Williams destiny to not be on this team, I hope its because he's off the board when we are on clock. Because if he's available and we take draft London or Olave, I will be ****ing livid. London is damn good, but he aint gonna bring nothin we dont already have in Logan Thomas. PLEASE let the Falcons or Jets draft London. 

We need a GAME BREAKER.............Get Jameson Williams or Garrett Wilson if we are set on getting a WR at 11...........Get somebody DC's have to game plan for every week. Somebody who's capable of getting 30-40 yac yards on any given play. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I regrettably haven't really had time to follow this thread this year so I can only assume I've missed all the Drake London talk, but I've been reading a lot of kinda lazy takes that he's just a jump ball receiver that can't separate. There is so much more to his game that people are missing for some reason, and yeah he's not someone that's going to pop in and out of breaks like the OSU kids, but he can do a variety of things to mitigate. First and foremost, he's the best stacker in the class by a mile, and he can do it at the top of intermediate and deep routes, as well as right off the snap in bump and run because of his footwork. He's not really a speed variance guy, but he's fluid and can change direction in higher gears, which is another mitigating factor to "can't separate". He's also pretty crafty with his body language and again thanks to his footwork he can throw off coverage by how suddenly he can throttle and sink his hips. He's not elusive after the catch, but he runs with a purpose and has the wiry strength to be break tackles. (Watch his TD vs UCLA)

There was a 2-3 game stretch last season where we were strolling up and down the field but didn't put any points on the board because Thomas was out. London is a perfect remedy for those issues, and who I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I did two drafts - the first one didn't have Hamilton drop, so I traded down to regroup with a much better QB class next year. Also was able to completely rebuild much needed depth on the team

image.thumb.png.b5dee18e814d3500750fc78f1b1951da.png

The second draft, Hamilton dropped....so I couldn't say no. Dropped down a few more slots in the 2nd to pick up more picks for depth. Overall, I'd be happy with either draft...but Hamilton is my top pick and I'd be ecstatic if we got him. 

image.thumb.png.aa0f624f87053afb8e78d4ec3b67a23c.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Except that's not the argument.  Ron traded the best OL in the NFL for a fifth and ****ing future third round pick.  That is the inescapable truth.  What I think is pretty goddamn stupid is to believe he had no other choice than to do that.  If you knew you were going to have to eat **** on a draft day trade like that, why not wait?  Why not hold off to see if there was a training camp injury or if a team who wanted an OT couldn't get one during draft is now willing to bid for him?  Why not just give Trent a new contract?  Why big time him and tell him he has to prove himself when you met with him with the explicit purpose of trying to mend the fences with him?  Ron is supposed to be good with players right? 

I never bought the ridiculous crap about how he needed the season to see who was a fit for their new regime, he brought in ****ing free agents that offseason.  And a teambuilder should know what he has to work with when he starts the job, it's absurd that Ron needed a year to figure out what his assets were worth.

Serious question, what are some moves where Ron got above face value on a team building asset in the last three years?  Draft pick, trade, or good value free agent contract.  All I can think of is Leno and Cosmi.

I’m not sure why so many people have a problem with Ron telling Trent to prove it. Look I’d love to have Trent here too. But let’s be honest about the situation here.

By the time training camp would’ve rolled around Trent would’ve been 31, wouldn’t have touched a football field for a game or real practice in almost 2 years, had a cancer scare, and despite battling through it all the time was always dinged up. You have no idea how his body is going to react to constantly taking that kind of beating after having not done it for two years. We all know Trent was staying in shape but staying in shape and football shape are wildly different animals. So I don’t understand what the problem is with Ron wanting to see that Trent was still the same player that he was prior to all the bs.  

What happens if Ron gives Trent want he wants and makes him the highest paid tackle in the league and Trent shows up to camp and is a shell of what he used to be as a player after almost two years off? We’d be totally screwed if that would of happened. Keep in mind San Fran didn’t give him a deal right off the bat either. This is also why you’re not getting more than you did in a trade for Trent at the point in time. No one is giving you a ton of value for a player that is 31 hasn’t played in almost two years by the time the season starts and wants to be the highest paid tackle in the league. Hell that’s some crap we’d have done back in the day offer a 1st round pick for a 31 year old lineman that hasn’t played in two years and made them highest paid tackle in the league. And guess what Trent is the outlier not the rule in that he hasn’t missed a step despite everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I tend to agree with you, although I’ve hardly watched hours and hours of these prospects to really have any kind of informed opinion :ols:

It seems odd to me that certain elements of the media are pushing London as our pick, when Rivera seems to drool over Wilson and Olave primarily and rarely publicly mention London, not that I’m too aware of anyway. Rivera is hardly great on misdirection either.

That said, based on the wider opinion, London appears far better value that Olave at #11 so I take that view onboard.

5 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I regrettably haven't really had time to follow this thread this year so I can only assume I've missed all the Drake London talk, but I've been reading a lot of kinda lazy takes that he's just a jump ball receiver that can't separate. There is so much more to his game that people are missing for some reason, and yeah he's not someone that's going to pop in and out of breaks like the OSU kids, but he can do a variety of things to mitigate. First and foremost, he's the best stacker in the class by a mile, and he can do it at the top of intermediate and deep routes, as well as right off the snap in bump and run because of his footwork. He's not really a speed variance guy, but he's fluid and can change direction in higher gears, which is another mitigating factor to "can't separate". He's also pretty crafty with his body language and again thanks to his footwork he can throw off coverage by how suddenly he can throttle and sink his hips. He's not elusive after the catch, but he runs with a purpose and has the wiry strength to be break tackles. (Watch his TD vs UCLA)

There was a 2-3 game stretch last season where we were strolling up and down the field but didn't put any points on the board because Thomas was out. London is a perfect remedy for those issues, and who I'm keeping my fingers crossed for. 

Yup. 

They won’t listen though. You’ll see the big receiver who can’t separate line a bunch the next few days.

4 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I’m not sure why so many people have a problem with Ron telling Trent to prove it. Look I’d love to have Trent here too. But let’s be honest about the situation here.

By the time training camp would’ve rolled around Trent would’ve been 31, wouldn’t have touched a football field for a game or real practice in almost 2 years, had a cancer scare, and despite battling through it all the time was always dinged up. You have no idea how his body is going to react to constantly taking that kind of beating after having not done it for two years. We all know Trent was staying in shape but staying in shape and football shape are wildly different animals. So I don’t understand what the problem is with Ron wanting to see that Trent was still the same player that he was prior to all the bs.  

What happens if Ron gives Trent want he wants and makes him the highest paid tackle in the league and Trent shows up to camp and is a shell of what he used to be as a player after almost two years off? We’d be totally screwed if that would of happened. Keep in mind San Fran didn’t give him a deal right off the bat either. This is also why you’re not getting more than you did in a trade for Trent at the point in time. No one is giving you a ton of value for a player that is 31 hasn’t played in almost two years by the time the season starts and wants to be the highest paid tackle in the league. Hell that’s some crap we’d have done back in the day offer a 1st round pick for a 31 year old lineman that hasn’t played in two years and made them highest paid tackle in the league. And guess what Trent is the outlier not the rule in that he hasn’t missed a step despite everything. 

And if they didn't give him a fat new contract, how do we know he'd go through camp and wouldn't hold out without a new deal and create drama again during the summer just like the previous year?  That's how the whole thing started in the first place.  So somehow we drag him back to camp again, this time with just one year left instead of two, and he'd somehow go forget it, i'll do this, and hopefully some dude in another camp gets hurts and then maybe I'll get traded?  He wasn't willing to do that last time, but what the heck, this time lets roll with it?

I like Trent but he wasn't exaclty absolved from creating the drama at the time.    We going round 2 of that in Ron's first year?

The market was what the market was.  Many people on the Trent thread saw that coming a mile away during the season when they could have traded him that it likely would be night and day in the off season.  I recall from Keim in particular that Bruce felt differently.  So Bruce rolled the dice and screwed up again -- what a shocker. 😧

Edited by Skinsinparadise