Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm very intrigued by Wentz in this offense.  I do wonder how long it's going to take him to pick up.  I could be proven dead wrong on this, but I think this offense MIGHT fit Wentz better than the Pederson/Reich offense.  He likes to go deep, this offense (which is predicated on the Norv offense, which is predicated on the Air Coryell offense) will allow him to do that.  It's very run the ball and hit the deep ball kind of offense. 

To that end, I do think they will mix things up with Gibson/McKissic in the passing game.  But I also think they need to find another back to take carries from Gibson.  And have Gibson and that back on the field at the same time so you don't know exactly where the ball is going.  I was hoping they would do more of this with McKissic and Gibson last year, and it didn't materialize the way I had hoped.  I DO think if Samuel had been healthy, you would have seen him take some carries from Gibson. 

I don't know who it is, but I think they should absolutely draft a RB somewhere in the back half of the draft, and then use them.  Unless they REALLY think Patterson is that guy, which I don't.

Hell, if one of the best RBs on the board was available in the second round, and they went Olave and RB in the first 2 rounds, I wouldn't hate that at all.  

My point was we already have two hybrid WRs-RBs in Samuel and McKissic.  So even if Wentz was in that Alex Smith style where he enjoys throwing to backs in the flat, we already got an embarrasesment of riches on that front.  Not too many teams have 2 guys like that on the same team.

So the idea of man we got to make Gibson more of a WR than a RB -- to me doesn't fit our needs that hotly.  McKissic catches a lot of passes, so does Samuel.  They both can run.  i think keeping Gibson primarly as a RB just like he's been is the way to go.  I don't mind throwing the ball some to him.  But I don't want to turn him into another Curtis Samuel where he's more of a WR than RB.

Gibson actually ironically had a bad PFF grade as a WR, I think McKissic (also a converted WR) has better hands than Gibson.   But Gibson certainly can catch the ball.  I am aware of his background in college -- me and @KDawgwere one of the rare people here who pushed for Gibson before that draft so I was happy we got him and i am happy with his play so far.  He just needs someone also to be the co-RB.  In today's NFL, IMO you need two horses at that spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Terry got his buddy Samuel here and is screaming in RR's ear to draft Olave.  I think that happens and so do a lot of respected draft gurus.  Terry stays.  He's the best player on the team and even the likes of Mayhew and Hurney who are wanna be GMs, IMO know that, so he gets paid and reunites with his buddies from Ohio St.  I only see a move at #14 before Philly picks to acquire a 3rd rounder otherwise, I think we may trade down but not to far and get a further down 2nd and 3rd and get our ILB we desperately need, IMO and then RB/FS in rounds 3/4.  

I pray that the Olave interest is manufactured to look legit due to the McLaurin connection in order to bait a trade-up. Or he's gone before we pick. 

I don't care how "cool" it would be to have an all Ohio State WR room. No serious team allows players to draft their buddies and it shouldn't matter to Terry or influence if he re-signs or not. He already has his friend in Curtis on the roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

When did I mention Olave at 11?

Sorry, to be clear, I meant you mention Olave not being on your superstar list.  

Getting a non superstar at 11 vs trading back will anger me, especially if we then trade future picks to fill holes.

Edited by CommDownMan

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think you have a strange obsession with center, but we all have our positional quirks so, not going to sit here and try to say you're wrong. You may not be at all. I just don't agree there.

But RB? Same exact page.

Need a back. Should have been Najee last year instead of Jamin. 

I think center is the most undervalued position in the NFL, and their value comes down to a number's game.  They impact more snaps than almost any other single position.  Center is viewed as the least valuable of the regular 22 offense/defense and teams invest nothing in the position.  In general, I think OLs are seriously undervalued and centers are the most undervalued of the group.  An OL is doing something that is at least moderately to majorly impactful on the outcome of the play on every single offensive snap, and that's definitely not true for the non-QB skill players and back seven defenders.  If I have DeAndre Hopkins in his prime, I'll be generous and say he's giving me 20 snaps a game where he does something truly impactful--either handling the ball himself or moving a safety away from someone else.  And I do think that's generous and that a more accurate average would be like 12 snaps a game since a handful of catches are just empty calories completions and moving safeties doesn't always impact the actual throwing lanes used on a play.  Jason Kelce in his prime is doing something tuly and positively impactful like 50 snaps a game, and that's probably conservative.

And centers also need to be making line calls, which gives them a leadership and pre-snap reading responsibility that is more than what the other OLs have.  And they also have some of the most diverse blocks in the run game because they are blocking 1 techs and linebackers.  And in terms of individual impact, if you are getting dominant A gap blocking and/or routinely reaching that stack linebacker at the PoA in your run game, then you're going to have a powerful run game even if your back is ordinary.  In pass-pro if you are getting killed in your A gaps your offense is going to break down.  It's a crucial position for winning the line of scrimmage, which is the crucial contest within the game that determines wins and losses.

I think the way Center is valued is a massive market inefficiency in NFL teambuilding, and it's an opportunity where a cheap investment can produce huge positive impact.  It's not just a theory either, look at the difference in KC's OL play before and after they got Creed Humphrey as an illustration of the individual value of the position.  And that was rookie year impact, so you can get quick dividends from the investment.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I pray that the Olave interest is manufactured to look legit due to the McLaurin connection in order to bait a trade-up. Or he's gone before we pick. 

I don't care how "cool" it would be to have an all Ohio State WR room. No serious team allows players to draft their buddies and it shouldn't matter to Terry or influence if he re-signs or not. He already has his friend in Curtis on the roster.

I think the Terry relationship aspect is overblown. We need speed and playmaking ability and it just so happens that's what the Ohio State receivers do. The fact that there is a pre existing relationship is a bonus however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I do. Drake London

I am with you on London. If he or Hamilton are there at 11 I would probably just take them and try to trade down in round 2 to recoup your 3rd rounder. If they are gone I am trying to trade back and land one of the other receivers. 

• Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

How do you propose we fix our holes at WR2, MLB, Buffalo,RB, TE, and OL?

Or are you fine going into the season with thin position groups one injury away from disaster?

One single player at 11 will make up for all those deficiencies?

Or are you banking on post draft cuts to fill all those holes?

We've had good success in middle rounds lately. I hate not having the draft capital to repeat that same success in one of the deepest draft classes in history due to covid.

Also, where do Wilson, London and Olave rank if they were in last year's draft?

Our biggest successes have usually come via free agency and trades at the WR. We really have has only two elite MIKEs. We've never had real success at taking RBs high (unless you include Charlie Taylor but his big success did not come as a RB). Our best TE's have been mid to late round guys and a few FAs. Buffalo? Finding a good one seems to be more about coaching, timing and luck. Of the positions you listed, only OL seems to be the position we can count on filling in the draft at the high-end (only 1 true bust in years). Almost looks like our best strategy at RB and TE is to just keep picking them in the later rounds until we hit. WR? Free agency or get lucky seems to be our only hope.

Terry is the first near elite guy (maybe elite) we've got via the draft since Gary Clark. Just 2 guys we picked in the top 2 at WR have ever gone on to be worth the pick (Taylor was picked as a RB). If Terry plays here for another 5-6 years, he is on pace to be our top WR EVER. I could see him getting into our top 10 this year. Our WR picks usually seem to be no better than a 4 (about what you should expect for a mid to late guy on a rookie deal). Crowder was a decent slot guy and did have a few OK games as the man.

3 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Our biggest successes have usually come via free agency and trades at the WR. We really have has only two elite MIKEs. We've never had real success at taking RBs high (unless you include Charlie Taylor but his big success did not come as a RB). Our best TE's have been mid to late round guys and a few FAs. Buffalo? Finding a good one seems to be more about coaching, timing and luck. Of the positions you listed, only OL seems to be the position we can count on filling in the draft at the high-end (only 1 true bust in years). Almost looks like our best strategy at RB and TE is to just keep picking them in the later rounds until we hit. WR? Free agency or get lucky seems to be our only hope.

Terry is the first near elite guy (maybe elite) we've got via the draft since Gary Clark. Just 2 guys we picked in the top 2 at WR have ever gone on to be worth the pick (Taylor was picked as a RB). If Terry plays here for another 5-6 years, he is on pace to be our top WR EVER. I could see him getting into our top 10 this year. Our WR picks usually seem to be no better than a 4 (about what you should expect for a mid to late guy on a rookie deal). Crowder was a decent slot guy and did have a few OK games as the man.

It’s good to never lose sight of your history in general, but why does any of this matter? It’s 2022. What has happened for us in the past doesn’t impact this or any future draft. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Sorry if this was already discussed, but looking at the draft value chart, the 11th pick is worth 1,250 points.   picks #29 and 30 (Chiefs) is worth 1,260.

Would you make that trade?   

Depends who is left on the board. But yeah if your guy you really covet is gone I would make that trade in a heartbeat. 

Just now, Conn said:

It’s good to never lose sight of your history in general, but why does any of this matter? It’s 2022. What has happened for us in the past doesn’t impact this or any future draft. 

History is all that matters in when discussing the draft, everything else is pretty much either bull **** or depends on history.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

History is all that matters in when discussing the draft, everything else is pretty much either bull **** or depends on history.

Sorry, but the positions this organization did or didn’t have success drafting 5, 10, or 20+ years ago doesn’t mean anything right now. Hell even 3 years ago. 

10 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Sorry if this was already discussed, but looking at the draft value chart, the 11th pick is worth 1,250 points.   picks #29 and 30 (Chiefs) is worth 1,260.

Clearly depends who if left at 11, but KC have multiple picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round as well. I’d be greedy and ask for a 3rd as well. If they are desperate to get to 11 then they’d throw in some change. Or ask for a low 2nd as well but give them our 4th in addition to 11. 

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Clearly depends who if left at 11, but KC have multiple picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round as well. I’d be greedy and ask for a 3rd as well. If they are desperate to get to 11 then they’d throw in some change. Or ask for a low 2nd as well but give them our 4th in addition to 11. 

Yeah just two super late 1s isn't enough. The draft value chart was designed in like 1990, its completely obsolete now.

Im a big fan of Drake London but don’t think he’s worth it at 11. I also like that kid Watson from NDSU. Both are big receivers and would address our need since we only have Sims as a tall receiver. Wentz likes his Pittman Alshon type receivers. 

If we can’t trade down a little I would take Hamilton as him and Kurl would be staples in our secondary for years. And address wide receiver in round 2. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Definitely, especially this draft, which is ultra deep. If I'm the Chiefs though, I try to get #9 or #10 for that price to ensure I get either London or Wilson.

The great thing about #29 or #30 is that those picks are coveted by teams because it is an opportunity to lock in a 2nd round guy you have a high grade on with an extra year due to the 5th year option. It is especially relevant for this draft where Corral, Ridder and Howell could all be there and a team may want to move their 2nd and another pick or two to get that 5th year.

I would look into using one of those picks on Brisker if he is still there and then trade the other one for a 2nd and a 3rd if a team wants that pick

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah just two super late 1s isn't enough. The draft value chart was designed in like 1990, its completely obsolete now.

The other thing I'd look at in a trade like this is pick swaps...getting their 4th or 5th for our 6th

• Like 1

Best thing that could happen for us is that the Texans and Minnesota have one player they want and we can trade down with them.

I would take Hamilton or Gardner at 11 the others I think going down a spot or 2 would be good for us to get extra picks. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

38 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I understand but RR hasn't gone to too many Pro Days and the ones that he's been to he has always selected the player that he went to see  (i.e., Newton, Christian Mc, to name a few.)

37 minutes ago, method man said:

The other thing I'd look at in a trade like this is pick swaps...getting their 4th or 5th for our 6th

I said that but was a bit greedier and wanted one of their 2nds with our 4th going the other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Burrow and Chase want to have a word with you.:806:

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Burrow and Chase want to have a word with you.:806:

:229:The Rook

Yep and remember it was Clinton Portis who voucehd for Sean Taylor.

With our FO track record in the Snyder era, I'd probably take our players picks over our scouts and GMs "lolol"

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3