Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I like Muma as well as a second rounder. I don’t think he’ll be there, though.

Him or Harris would be nice in the second. I hated that we moved back those spots with Indy...could cost us one of these guys

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Is it odd that last year I felt we needed a WR, mlb in the draft. Year later...

We drafted a WR and LB and still same holes 

That is basically every year for every team. Players leave because you dont want to overpay them. And players retire. But you always need LB's and Wr's. Because so many other positions are more important in the draft.

Here is an example. Tyrus Wheat. You can get this guy between 6-7. Dude is a football player And THAT is what matters. Give me this piece of clay to mold. No one knows who he is. But the guy is a physical monster. THIS is what I look for to coach up. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That is basically every year for every team. Players leave because you dont want to overpay them. And players retire. But you always need LB's and Wr's. Because so many other positions are more important in the draft.

Plus the two guys we picked at those positions in the first and third rounds had awful rookie seasons.

Jamin is exhibit A for why reaching to fill needs in the draft is the absolute worst way to draft.  Many times you don't even fill the need.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Plus the two guys we picked at those positions in the first and third rounds had awful rookie seasons.

Jamin is exhibit A for why reaching to fill needs in the draft is the absolute worst way to draft.  Many times you don't even fill the need.

I hated Davis as a 1st rounder. Got laughed at for it constantly here. I will say he played better the second half of the season. And may still end up a good player. Has the physical traits you look for. But his instincts are garbage. And were in college as well.

PFF newest mock draft.

2022 NFL Three-Round Mock Draft: Carolina Panthers select QB Malik Willis, QB Sam Howell falls to the New York Giants in Round 2 | NFL Draft | PFF

How likely is this scenario, if Hamilton fell to us, he is the only player I am not trading down for, or at least attempting to trade back.  Second rd. C.Harris MLB Alabama.

I doubt Hamilton will fall however stranger things have happened.  Hers hoping!!

• Like 2

Hamilton could be there.  He's a safety who got hurt last season and he ran a 4.59.  Those are all headwinds on his draft stock and falling out of the top ten in a year where there are so many good edge and tackle prospects + three first round corners wouldn't shock me.

Kayvon Thibodeaux could also be there at 11.  He's been falling down mock draft boards since the combine and is hovering on the edge of the top ten.  There is a possibility he's the BPA at 11 too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

Here are the guys who I'd have on my board at 11. In order (for now):

1. Kyle Hamilton

2. Jordan Davis

3. Drake London

4. Devin Lloyd

5. Sauce Gardner

6. Derek Stingley

7. Kenyon Green

8. Lindenbaum

After #5, though, I'd be more tempted to trade back. Could convince me at 4 but it would take a lot. 

I like this list a lot.  I would add Thibodeaux somewhere high on it, and then add Cross and Garrett Wilson to it as well.  Supposedly Thibs bombed his combine interviews and turned teams off from him and he might be one of those unexpected fallers.  Jermaine Johnson and Travon Walker have climbed into the top ten of mocks, and that could enough to see Thibodeaux sitting there as BPA at 11.  I would probably have a tier 1 of Thibs/Hamilton/Davis and sort through them by position value/fit if each were there at 11.

I've been trying to sort out how I feel about the OLs that might be there.  Right now, I've got Cross > Linderbaum > Green > Penning.  I like what I saw from Cross but have only watched two games of cut ups from him.  There aren't many vertical sets in his reps but he looks pretty clean aside from that.  Fabulous anchor strength and power to catch and stop rushers who try to go through him.  Very nice twitchy athleticism and he looks like he could play either guard or tackle spot.  Pretty good move blocker too, more likely to win with positioning than to bury his assignments in the turf.  Linderbaum looks special to me.  He's a C-only prospect but he projects to be a dominant C.  I watch him and see the fastest OC I've ever seen and a virtual clone of Jason Kelce.  Only he's 21 years old and looks much closer to hitting his ceiling in his early 20s than Kelce was.  I would put him on our board as a serious BPA candidate at 11 and move Roullier to a starting guard spot if I drafted him.  I like Kenyon Green and still think he could be a true swing OL that gives you the ability to move positions mid-season, but he had a pretty bad combine.  The value no longer feels like it is good enough at 11, especially compared to the defenders that will likely be on the board.  And I think Cross and Linderbaum have higher ceilings than he does.  Penning I feel pretty strong about as the #4 of the group.  He's got size and he's a nasty player but he is super rough.  IMO Cosmi was probably a better prospect than him, and Penning should be going late first in mocks instead of in the first half.

For WR, I'm torn between London and Wilson.  I prefer Wilson's speed and body control and overall versatility but hit route running gives me a lot of pause.  London is cleaner and an easier fit into our offense, and might finally allow us to move on from Cam Sims.  Kind of a bummer how much worse these guys are than Jamar Chase and Devonta Smith were.  It makes me want to back off WR at 11 and focus on the OLs and defenders instead, especially since I think the value of WR will be much stronger in the second.

I've seen Andrew Booth in the early first mix at CB, but I haven't formed a take on him yet.  I've seen some places have him above Derek Stingley, which kind of raised my eyebrows.  Should he be on our board as a candidate at 11?

• Like 1

I like that list except I wouldn't value Davis that highly. I'm kinda done with drafting DL in the 1st round, particularly DTs. You just don't gain much value there as you do from other positions.

I don't love London either, at WR I actually like Olave more, but would ultimately be okay with taking him.

Rest of that list looks good, except I'd put Hamilton and Gardner at 1A and 1B and Lloyd right behind them.

My dream scenario is trade down with a team like the Saints who are desperate for a QB and draft Olave or Lloyd.

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

For WR, I'm torn between London and Wilson.  I prefer Wilson's speed and body control and overall versatility but hit route running gives me a lot of pause.  London is cleaner and an easier fit into our offense, and might finally allow us to move on from Cam Sims.  Kind of a bummer how much worse these guys are than Jamar Chase and Devonta Smith were.  It makes me want to back off WR at 11 and focus on the OLs and defenders instead, especially since I think the value of WR will be much stronger in the second.

I’d still prefer Hamilton or Stingley (or another clear BPA) but London is my favorite WR. 

Incredible hands, leaping ability, balance, tougher runner than you would think based on his slight build, and very very good in the open field.

I think he would be a great fit with Wentz because he makes so many contested catches (like Terry) and I think Wentz will put the ball up for him.

His basketball background is obvious from the jump balls but also can be seen in his crossover moves; he looks like Jordan Reed.

He would be a nice complement to the guys we have.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Interesting and not necessarily what conventional wisdom would have you believe.

This draft should be interesting at the WR spot.  IMO you got give or take 5 WRs who are legitimately bonafide #1 receivers.  I do like the 2nd tier of WRs I'd add Alec Pierce to the group below. 

I do love the fit of Drake London to Wentz's skill set specifically. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’d still prefer Hamilton or Stingley (or another clear BPA) but London is my favorite WR. 

I

After landing Wentz, I have been on the idea of London.  I am not sure he's my top WR.  i think i like Wilson more.  But specifically for Wentz he seems tailor made. 

What’s interesting with London is you think of someone who is 6’ 5” 210 as an outside receiver - but actually he also worked inside as a big slot. He’s a guy you can move around to create match ups just based on his length. 

I think I prefer Wilson overall but I’d be very happy with London.

• Like 1

While conceding the fact that it matters more who they pick, rather than where they draft them, I think the dropoff between a WR at 11 and a WR in the 2nd would be greater than the one for MLBs in the same spots.

It'd be great if they picked up one of each in FA beforehand, but that seems unlikely.

• Like 3

I can see London being the right fit. I do see that JReed comfort blanket too his game, especially with his ability to be inside. Gotta love POSITION FLEX 💪🏼 

Route running for Wilson scares me, if olave is the technician with speed, like Terry… get me him. 

id like WR 1 round, LB 2 round ideally. 

• Like 1

Edge player with 1st round hype is rumored to have torn his Achilles at his pro-day.  Ojabo is going to fall in the draft, but I don't know where and if we should draft him.  If he does get back to 100%, it's likely 2023 and not 2022.  He's missing the start of the season if not all of 2022.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain