Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

53 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Drafting Haskins did not set us back. Swing and a miss. Not drafting a QB in the following 2 drafts is what set us back.

Draft a QB, and draft one again in 2023 if they're better. ****, draft 2 QBs in 2023 if there's going to be so much talent. 

Remember that the best QB we've seen in this franchise in decades was Cousins and we drafted him after trading the farm for RG3 which made no sense at the time. 

What about the player we didn't get because we overreached for a stiff QB in Haskins? So missing on a QB did not set us back but not drafting a QB the past 2 drafts has set us back???? Regardless of who made the call to select Haskins it still cost us a better player.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

What about the player we didn't get because we overreached for a stiff QB in Haskins? So missing on a QB did not set us back but not drafting a QB the past 2 drafts has set us back???? Regardless of who made the call to select Haskins it still cost us a better player.

Unless that player was Su'a Cravens, pt. 2 lol...

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If the better player wasn't a QB then what difference does it make?

Drafting a team of MLB's that can't play MLB isn't getting us anywhere. Nor is having a defense of first round picks that can't stop anyone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mooka said:

If the better player wasn't a QB then what difference does it make?

Drafting a team of MLB's that can't play MLB isn't getting us anywhere. Nor is having a defense of first round picks that can't stop anyone. 

Didn't the Rams get Aaron Donald with one of those RG3 picks?  He is a difference maker.

:229:The Rook

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We got the player we wanted in Haskins spot anyways.

So watching the game…

Willis’ height does seem to effect him a little bit. Looks like he’s putting a lot of effort into his throws. Strong arm besides one slight under throw on an out outside the hashes, but complete. Good mobility but he looked like he was one read and out the back door again. Looked good on his first drive though.

Edited by KDawg

Willis looks like Heinicke escaping pressure. And it’s coming immediately and he’s working himself free and avoiding big sacks. That’s a plus trait for sure.

He’s thrown a few rockets, too.

Pickett took a sack. Not sure it was too much on him but he didn’t find a way to get out of dodge. Interesting so far.

Wow. Christian Watson, WR, ND St., just had his corner fall and was wide open. Pickett found him but underthrew him. If he would have hit him in stride it was a touchdown. Had to catch it by diving. Then got himself up and they had a huge gain. 

Pickett with a swing pass dart to the back for a TD. 

• Like 1

After a quarter the punter and lng snappers have done the best so far. Watch out Cheeseman, we could replace you with a 4th rounder

Agree with @KDawgregarding Willis's escapeability and decent pocket presents.  If you drafted him, you could use him right away in passing situations. Not sure he can throw a hail mary though...I mean his attempt was god awful. I was surprised the 49ers were not doing that with Lance in the playoffs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

After a quarter the punter and lng snappers have done the best so far. Watch out Cheeseman, we could replace you with a 4th rounder

Agree with @KDawgregarding Willis's escapeability and decent pocket presents.  If you drafted him, you could use him right away in passing situations. Not sure he can throw a hail mary though...I mean his attempt was god awful. I was surprised the 49ers were not doing that with Lance in the playoffs

The pass hurt him a bit I think. It was an awful throw. 

So far the QBs are living up to their lack of hype.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The pass hurt him a bit I think. It was an awful throw. 

So far the QBs are living up to their lack of hype.

Yes, the QB's are showing zip.

I have liked Uconn DT Travis Jones and of course the star of the week, OT Trevor Penning

Howell just had a great throw velocity wise down the middle of the field. Touch behind but catchable and dropped. 

Howell didn’t feel the pressure coming behind him fumbled while his arm was beginning his throwing motion. 

Oy.

If these QBs don’t pick it up we really need to push the vet QB trade narrative. Jesus.

Edited by KDawg

Senior Bowl buzz for 2022 NFL draft: Latest rumors on the quarterback class, top risers, best prospects, more

_end_rule.png2335.png&h=110&w=110

Malik Willis, Liberty (American)

McShay: It was clear this week that Willis has the most talent among the quarterbacks. The way the ball just explodes off his hand is different than the rest. Arm strength can be overrated at times, but Willis' snap-of-the-wrist effortless velocity on his throws was impressive all week long. A lot of times he has zip on his throws outside of the pocket despite not even having his feet under him. And that's another thing: With Willis' escapability, NFL defenses will need to constantly spy him. He can get out of trouble with ease, turning a 5-yard sack into a 5-yard gain.

Fowler: A few execs predicted that Willis might have the easiest time dealing with the rainy conditions this week because he has that velocity to push the ball through the wind. And that played out Wednesday with an impressive showing.

McShay: I do wonder if there's almost too much zip on his throws at times, though. He missed the mark on some intermediate timing throws because he has a tendency to always try to drill a hole in his receiver's chest. Not everything has to be the 100 mph fastball, and Willis is going to have to learn when and how to take a little off and get more arc to hit his windows, especially when throwing the midrange out routes.

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh (National)

McShay: Pickett struggled Wednesday in the rainy, windy conditions. He has to work harder to get the ball out in those settings. Regardless of how strongly you weigh that, it's a factor team evaluators need to consider. When the season is on the line in December and January, when the weather turns sour, you don't want to be worrying about it. Ideally, he ends up with a team that plays in a dome stadium and/or warmer weather.

Fowler: After those Wednesday struggles, Pickett did impress some NFL teams with his bounce-back performance in the indoor facility Thursday. One AFC scout noted Pickett's strong intermediate-level throws and called him a "baller," while also admitting that Pickett might not have the high-level traits of the league's top passers. "He can definitely be a functional quarterback in an NFL offense, especially one that doesn't want the quarterback to lose the game with sloppy decision-making," the scout said.

McShay: Yeah, Thursday was Pickett's best practice. He was in control, excelling with his reads and getting the ball where it needed to go on time. The red zone work was outstanding. That's where things get tight and the reads get faster, and it was interesting to see him really put on a show there. The bottom line is you know what you're getting with Pickett. He's more polished than Willis, but his ceiling might be lower.

Fowler: Multiple execs have actually used the term "safe" when describing Pickett to me, in that you know what you're getting with him. An AFC exec called Pickett "probably [the] most pro-ready" despite not wowing much this week. And you weren't the only one impressed with his red zone work Thursday, Todd. Many execs pointed it out when talking about his game after Pickett found open targets there both inside and to the corners.

2132.png&h=110&w=110

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (National)

McShay: I really do like just about everything about Ridder's game. He has the 6-foot-3, 207-pound frame. He's mobile. He has a good arm. And he's a proven winner. But nothing really changed this week with the inconsistent ball placement. He's on the money more often than not but just inexplicably misses in the strike zone on too many passes.

Fowler: NFL teams really want to like Ridder, with his intangibles, size, mobility and pretty good arm strength. "The accuracy is a problem," said an NFC exec, "particularly when under duress." And that issue showed up in spurts during the week, though he did clean up some of those problems during an improved Thursday session. An AFC exec thought he threw it better than expected in Mobile -- "definitely better than against Alabama [in the College Football Playoff]."

153.png&h=110&w=110

Sam Howell, QB, UNC (American)

McShay: One of two things tend to happen with Howell, and we saw a little of both this week. First, he can get lax with his feet on throws, not setting them and not driving off of his back foot -- though he doesn't necessarily need to with his arm strength. Second, he gets frenzied feet when he is going through progressions, where they aren't married to his eyes. After running an offense at UNC that featured a lot of run-pass options and deep rail shots, he will see more intermediate anticipatory throws than he's used to in the NFL. And that means he needs to work on his footwork.

Fowler: I got mixed feedback on Howell. Some scouts liked that he aggressively attacked downfield, completing a few darts that got their attention. Others thought he struggled. One AFC exec said he's a borderline backup-level talent but could start if in the right situation. "He's got ability but [I'm] unsure if he can do it on his own ... needs the right pieces to be successful," the exec said.

McShay: Howell was probably the most steady quarterback in Mobile. He didn't have a ton of "wow" moments but he was more consistent than the other five. It was a good week for him and the arm strength showed. I had him over Ridder coming into the week and I came away feeling even better about that.

• We outlined the top four quarterbacks above, but what about the other two? Nevada's Carson Strong made a few nice deep-ball throws, but mobility is going to be a challenge for him (though he appeared more mobile this week than he had on tape), and his short-to-intermediate accuracy was all over the place. Of all the quarterbacks, his performance was the most up and down this week. The ability is there, but scouts will need to see more consistency. And then Western Kentucky's Bailey Zappe showed a little more energy on his throws, and it came off his hand better than expected. But deep-ball throws were hanging, and I think he's probably going to be an NFL backup best fit with a rhythm/timing-based offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33209689/senior-bowl-buzz-2022-nfl-draft-latest-rumors-quarterback-class-top-risers-best-prospects-more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell just had a great throw velocity wise down the middle of the field. Touch behind but catchable and dropped. 

Howell didn’t feel the pressure coming behind him fumbled while his arm was beginning his throwing motion. 

Oy.

I thought the Howell pass was great but dropped. Regarding the sack, not sure he should have felt that pressure, it was not a deep drop and was minimal time, OT looked poor.

Ridder looking much better on this possession

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oy.

He looks very out of sync to me. Looked uncomfortable under center, holding the ball too long, and then not feeling the pressure behind him. Hard to draw many conclusions from an exhibition possession, but has done himself no favors so far. 

On the other hand, Willis looked much more in command than I expected. One poor sling on a Hail Mary, and a little too quick to bail after his first read (though to be fair he has little protection) but lots of positives. Elusive, explosive, big arm, big play ability when pocket collapses, made a couple of good throws on outs and on the move. He helped himself a bunch in my opinion. 

Edited by Stormy
  • Like 1

Just now, DWinzit said:

I thought the Howell pass was great but dropped. Regarding the sack, not sure he should have felt that pressure, it was not a deep drop and was minimal time, OT looked poor.

Ridder looking much better on this possession

Yeah I’m not down on Howell, but I think he should have stepped up. Thought that as it was happening, too. 

Ridder is having a much better drive this time. 

1 minute ago, Stormy said:

He looks very out of sync to me. Looked uncomfortable under center, holding the ball too long, and then not feeling the pressure behind him. Hard to draw many conclusions from an exhibition possession, but has done himself no favors so far. 

On the other hand, Willis looked much more in command than I expected. One poor sling on a Hail Mary, and a little too which to bail after his first read, but lots of positives. Elusive, explosive, big arm, big play ability when pocket collapses, made a couple of good throws on outs and on the move. He helped himself a bunch in my opinion. 

I don’t know. I think Howell has looked pretty comfortable. Willis did himself a lot of favors for sure, but for a guy being touted as having a great arm did nothing good for himself with that awful deep ball. That will be something he has to prove he can do at his pro day/the combine.

• Thumb up 1

Howell looks elusive, having great pocket presence and throwing darts on this 2 minute drive. Best drive of the day by a QB for sure. 

These offensive lines for both sides have been terrible.

Rough go to end the half for Howell, but so far I have it:

1) Howell

2) Ridder

3) Willis

4) Pickett 

For QB performance in the game. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Howell looked mostly sharp on that drive. as I’ve mentioned this week he looks fairly mobile this week. He’s a bit shorter than I thought he’d measure.

My issue with him has been pocket presence as far as peripheral vision, so far today doesn’t change that concern but no one is perfect 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell looked mostly sharp on that drive. as I’ve mentioned this week he looks fairly mobile this week. He’s a bit shorter than I thought he’d measure.

My issue with him has been pocket presence as far as peripheral vision, so far today doesn’t change that concern but no one is perfect 

I thought he did pretty damn good on that front. He got out of some sticky situations. The first sack fumble I think he missed peripherally. The second was a bad snap and he struggled to recover as he rolled and got hit from behind. 

Willis has the goods as far as pocket presence. His mobility and elusiveness is elite. He was great out the back door. He looked pretty poor as a passer besides the one ball. 

Edited by KDawg

Love Ron Middleton. 

Based on the QB play in the first half...no one deserves to go in the first round.

Yeah I see potential from Willis, Howell and Ridder but nuttin great. Pickett was worse than them.

Hoping Strong and Zappe show up big in the 3rd.

This game as been the opposite of last years Senior Bowl, what a great game that was! 

• Thanks 1