Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Willis doesn’t look very fast. He has some good side to side movement but his running style is more Dak/Wilson than Lamar/Vick. If pure speed is important to you.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dak/Wilsom speed but that only works if he can also throw like them as a passer. Can he, I don’t know I don’t follow NCAA much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I spent a lot of time on Ridder for 2 years now and still don't know what to think about him.

I am intrigued that they are intrigued by Carson Strong.

Strong's interview which I posted here last weekend where he basically said his knee wasn't right last year and was throwing with basically just his upper body without his legs helping (amazing considering he still had a strong arm)  and his mobility now is improved because his legs feel better -- i guess will see if that's so in a few days at the Senior Bowl. 

**REMOVED MEDIA**

Shhhh I told you...Carson Strong will be the best qb from this draft, now lets sit back and hope no one else realizes while we pick him in the 2nd 👀

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, method man said:

A thought exercise is "If Strong had a healthy knee, where in the draft would he go?"

I think he'd end up QB2 or QB3

Well it would depend on how athletic he was. He was a decent basketball player so have to think hes at least average. If thats the case he would be the first pick. 

Strong is definitely slow.  But so is Brady.  He's got some Joe Flacco in him, but I wouldn't put that as his ceiling.  He's sharp and super clean mechanically with a really easy throwing motion and compact pocket footwork.  Reminds me of Brady/Flacco in how they are tall pocket passers who don't need a lot of room to operate despite their stature.  I love the way he places the ball and feel like he throws with anticipation.  And he can rip field side throws against single coverage better than Pickett.  He feels like the most accurate passer in the class by a hair over Pickett given he shows off accuracy and sharpness in his placement all over the field.

I like both him and Ridder enough as second round options to pass on QB in the first.  And if he's a late climber, that means one of the top four guys is dropping because there is no chance in Hell five QBs from this class go in the first.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Strong is definitely slow.  But so is Brady.  He's got some Joe Flacco in him, but I wouldn't put that as his ceiling.  He's sharp and super clean mechanically with a really easy throwing motion and compact pocket footwork.  Reminds me of Brady/Flacco in how they are tall pocket passers who don't need a lot of room to operate despite their stature.  I love the way he places the ball and feel like he throws with anticipation.  And he can rip field side throws against single coverage better than Pickett.  He feels like the most accurate passer in the class by a hair over Pickett given he shows off accuracy and sharpness in his placement all over the field.

I like both him and Ridder enough as second round options to pass on QB in the first.  And if he's a late climber, that means one of the top four guys is dropping because there is no chance in Hell five QBs from this class go in the first.

Hypothetically, what would you prefer (assuming we don't trade for a vet QB like Wilson, Rodgers, Carr (all pipe dreams IMO)):

1). Draft Garrett Wilson/Lloyd/Stingley/London at 11 & draft/trade up for Howell/Corral/Strong

2). Draft Pickett/Willis at 11 & draft need with the 2nd (Kenneth Walker/Breece Hall/etc types)

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, what would you prefer (assuming we don't trade for a vet QB like Wilson, Rodgers, Carr (all pipe dreams IMO)):

1). Draft Garrett Wilson/Lloyd/Stingley/London at 11 & draft/trade up for Howell/Corral/Strong

2). Draft Pickett/Willis at 11 & draft need with the 2nd (Kenneth Walker/Breece Hall/etc types)

I think I prefer Willis at 11 and then go BPA at 42.  Pickett is a tougher call for me.

If I were the GM and my job was on the line, I would be cautious and probably draft Pickett at 11 if he was there and Willis was gone.  This class is tough to figure out and I would just take the safe path because I would desperately want to keep my job and I think this offseason is minefield for the team.

But the most aggressive and savvy GM probably plays that situation different.  They take the BPA plunge and assume there will be a QB who is BPA at 42.  They also get the benefit of learning how all of these kids are as human beings and how their personalities fit in to your locker room, that could really change what constitutes a safe pick.  For example, it could be that Garrett Wilson isn't really a safe pick because he's moody or has a huge chip on his shoulder or he's got a lot of distractions in his life, for example.  I just picked his name out of the list because he seems to be a magnet for conflict on the field, but I really have no clue what he's like, I tend to not pay attention to reputation stuff like that at all.  But imagine a scenario where you're not totally sure about Pickett the person and there is a selfish streak in him and you love Strong or Ridder the person (or maybe even Howell), then that really changes the equation of safety.  QB is your partner, you've got to get a kid you trust and can communicate with or else it won't work.  You can eat **** with other guys at other positions in the name of talent, but not at QB.

Anyway, IMO, BPA with maximal position value for our first two picks is Willis at 11 and a pure BPA pick at 42.  My hope would be for a falling star like Nakobe Dean or Jordan Davis, or Walker.  If I'm the GM and you give me Willis and Walker, we're winning ten games next year, restoring fan interest, and I'm keeping my job.

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I prefer #1

• Like 2

It would take elephant sized balls for me take Willis at 11 if my job were on the line. Honestly, I am leaning Ridder over Willis realizing how blasphemous that may sound. Pickett for me is still my clear-cut QB 1 though Sam Howell is gaining ground. 

1. Pickett

2. Howell

3. Corral

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mhd24 said:

#1-Without a clear #1 stud QB, Its all about aquiring the most possible talent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Willis makes me so so nervous. He honestly hasn’t had a really good year passing, even though he’s been playing against inferior competition. He’s had four 300 yard games out of 23 starts in the last 2 years. Put another way, he’s had the same number of 3 interception games as 300 yard games over a 2 year, 23 game sample size. And even watching highlights, you see the huge arm, but I don’t see a guy that translates as a passer to the NFL. 

I’m also going to say that Josh Allen is going to make a lot of GM’s make big mistakes. He’s as much of a unicorn as Tom Brady. A guy drafted for traits that didn’t have great production and was terribly inaccurate, but suddenly became accurate and productive. I think there is literally no other example of that. He gets lumped in with Herbert as an example of drafting traits, but Herbert as a senior passed for more yards and TD’s than Matt Corral this year with almost the same completion percentage, at a major program, and had every trait. He shouldn’t be lumped in with Josh Allen when discussing draft prospects. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

If they do go rookie QB in the 1st or 2nd which prospects were multi sports stars? Especially baseball.  I believe every QB in the final 8 playoff teams played multiple sports in High School.

I know Howell was a baseball player and Strong was a basketball player

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

It would take elephant sized balls for me take Willis at 11 if my job were on the line. Honestly, I am leaning Ridder over Willis realizing how blasphemous that may sound. Pickett for me is still my clear-cut QB 1 though Sam Howell is gaining ground. 

1. Pickett

2. Howell

3. Corral

Going with talent is usually the safe play.  Especially at QB, and especially with a QB who has special running ability.  You can be in the playoffs year one or year two with a QB who is an elite runner and use that as a foundation for success.

If your prospect can't run and can't get through his reads and deliver the ball in the time he's given, you're not going to run functional offense, and that's where regimes get into trouble.  Especially regimes who are three years in and the honey moon is over and they need immediate team success with their new prospect leading the way to keep their jobs.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Going with talent is usually the safe play.  Especially at QB, and especially with a QB who has special running ability.  You can be in the playoffs year one or year two with a QB who is an elite runner and use that as a foundation for success.

If your prospect can't run and can't get through his reads and deliver the ball in the time he's given, you're not going to run functional offense, and that's where regimes get into trouble.  Especially regimes who are three years in and the honey moon is over and they need immediate team success with their new prospect leading the way to keep their jobs.

There's no denying his running prowess steve. It's definitely on another level with this crop of QB's, who all aside from Strong, have above average scrambling skills. I just really have doubts about his ability to succeed. The games I watched, his WR's were getting open and he consistently missed them. He appears to lock on his first read and then take off when things go awry. The level of competition is a concern for me too. I may not be seeing the big picture as to his ceiling potential, but for me, I would not take the chance that soon. I have a hard time taking any of these QB's at 11 to be honest with you, but for me, it's Pickett, Howell or Corral and no one else. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We probably could easily move up to the top 3 if we trade M sweat and are first not saying I would but I think that and 11 is as good as the two de that you can draft in top 3. I don't think any of the Qb are worth moving up for.

I'd like to hold on to Sweat, and would rather trade Payne. And use that equity paired with our 3rd to move back into the late 1st. Use that pick to get either a MLB or QB depending on what we did with #11. Pipe dream I know

7 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I'd like to hold on to Sweat, and would rather trade Payne. And use that equity paired with our 3rd to move back into the late 1st. Use that pick to get either a MLB or QB depending on what we did with #11. Pipe dream I know

I agree I don't want to move Sweat and he then turns into Reggie White. 

If there is a Qb they think can be the man, I do think 11 and Sweat is better then the what the 2 top de offer in this draft. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I agree I don't want to move Sweat and he then turns into Reggie White. 

If there is a Qb they think can be the man, I do think 11 and Sweat is better then the what the 2 top de offer in this draft. 

Sweat hasn't had a double digit sack season yet. I'm not worrying about him turning into the GOAT DE.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sweat hasn't had a double digit sack season yet. I'm not worrying about him turning into the GOAT DE.

For me, there's only one player on the roster that's special and not easily replaceable and that player to me is Terry. Logan would be 2nd but still a good margin away.