Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

He was a guy I liked a lot in that draft.  I hate the Giants.   But I did like Andrew Thomas and I did like McKinney.  So did others here.   

Bringing that up here because sometimes fans can throw the towell too early on prospects.   Thomas was "meh" rookie year.  Mckinney had a bumpy start with injuries. 

• Thumb up 1

If WFT was sitting at the #2 or 3 pick, would everyone still go with a qb?

I’m only asking because I’m not sure why Detroit, Houston, the Giants, Carolina, Atlanta and Denver wouldn’t take a qb in their positions?  IMV, they’re all qb needy like we are, but they’re all pretty much where we want to be - they have stopgap qbs in place, and are in a better position to draft a guy (obviously some would be left out if there was a run on qbs).  I just feel like I’m missing something…

32 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m only asking because I’m not sure why Detroit, Houston, the Giants, Carolina, Atlanta and Denver wouldn’t take a qb in their positions?  IMV, they’re all qb needy like we are, but they’re all pretty much where we want to be - they have stopgap qbs in place, and are in a better position to draft a guy (obviously some would be left out if there was a run on qbs).  I just feel like I’m missing something…

If we had the 2nd/3rd pick (if we couldn't trade down), I'd take either Hamilton or a QB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I think the Giants and Broncos will be going after a veteran option. Panthers will probably end up drafting someone. I don't think any of those other teams will draft QB for one reason or another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

It's possible they take QBs however there are some really good defensive players on the board early. Houston took a QB lin the second round last year, sure they could go QB in the first this year too, or get pieces to help Mills out.  There's a lot of things yet to play out before the draft but it's fun to speculate atleast.

• Like 1

If we were at 2 I think we should trade down instead of taking a QB that high.  The best QB in this class may have been the sixth QB taken in last year's draft.  In the 2019 draft, the 49ers and Jets had the 2nd and 3rd picks and neither one were particularly QB hungry.  But for hypo purposes, lets say they were---should they have taken Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins respectively?

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

If we were at 2 I think we should trade down instead of taking a QB that high.  The best QB in this class may have been the sixth QB taken in last year's draft.  In the 2019 draft, the 49ers and Jets had the 2nd and 3rd picks and neither one were particularly QB hungry.  But for hypo purposes, lets say they were---should they have taken Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins respectively?

Remember last year before he said he was coming back people were talking about Howell in that 3-4 range for QB?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes. The answer is yes.

I'm not even saying that jokingly.

If he were in this class he'd be my 1, Howell my 2, Corral my VERY VERY close 3 (who could move up or down depending on the offseason stuff).

But it would honestly depend on the trade. Given his season this year he's not worth multiple 1s. I could see one first. 

• Like 2

NFL mock draft 2022: Mel Kiper's predictions for all 32 first-round picks, teams for Aidan Hutchinson, Malik Willis, Nakobe Dean

11. Washington Football Team

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Time for the first quarterback off the board. You might be surprised that it's Willis, but you really shouldn't be. He was in the QB1 mix all fall before he faded a little bit in the last stretch of the regular season. The more tape I watch of his past two seasons and the more I talk to evaluators in the league, the more I like him. Put simply, Willis is the most talented quarterback in this class. He didn't always get to show that at Liberty, which didn't have much NFL talent around him. (He was sacked an astounding 51 times in 2021.) This is a dual-threat signal-caller -- he rushed for 1,822 yards and 27 touchdowns over the past two seasons -- with a powerful arm. I'm really excited to see him compete against the other top QBs in the Senior Bowl in a couple weeks.

Like Denver, Washington could be in the veteran QB market, but I like the fit with Willis. Washington can't go into the season with Taylor Heinicke as the starter.

18. New Orleans Saints

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

The Saints won four of five games to end the season and almost snuck into the playoffs, but their offense was subpar after Jameis Winston tore his ACL in late October. If Winston goes elsewhere in free agency, Sean Payton is going to want a new quarterback to groom. Taysom Hill, who turns 32 before the start of the 2022 season, hasn't shown enough to be considered their QB of the present nor future.

That's why I see Pickett, who's coming off an efficient 42-touchdown, seven-interception season, as the perfect fit for New Orleans. He took a huge leap in 2021, showing off pinpoint accuracy to every area of the field. He started 49 games in college, so he can play right away for a team that wants to compete for the playoffs. The biggest question I've heard from people in the NFL is one that you might laugh at: hand size. Pickett has small hands -- we'll find out the exact size at the Senior Bowl soon -- and that matters to the teams doing the drafting. If he can play his home games in a dome in New Orleans, that's a plus.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers

Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

Like the Saints, the Steelers could immediately contend if they can figure out their quarterback position this offseason. Ben Roethlisberger appears likely to retire. I don't see backups Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins as NFL starters. They do have a strong core on both sides of the ball, though. If they acquire a veteran signal-caller via free agency or in a trade, this could be a spot to target a linemen to help a below-average O-line, but let's assume for now that they go into the draft without adding one.

Corral fits the mentality of what Mike Tomlin wants from his team. He's tough. He took a beating in multiple games in 2021, even running 30 times for 195 yards in a win over Tennessee. Oh, and he's a stellar passer, too, with touch, accuracy and arm strength. At 6-foot, he's not the biggest quarterback, but he threw 20 touchdown passes and just five picks this season. Corral sprained his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but should be fine to work out at the combine. Because he hasn't yet graduated from school, he's the only one of the top QBs who won't be at the Senior Bowl, but he'll get his chance to show his skill set in front of scouts later.

28. Detroit Lions (via LAR)

Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

I'm not sold on Jared Goff being Detroit's guy past 2022, so why not take a quarterback flier here with the pick it got from the trade with the Rams? By taking Howell in Round 1, the Lions would get his fifth-year option, which means they could hand over the reins in 2023. Yes, they have a lot of needs, but if they think they can get their future starting signal-caller, they should pounce.

Howell is a tricky evaluation, and he could definitely drop to Round 2. He looked like a potential top-10 pick after his sophomore season in 2020. At the beginning of the 2021 season, though, he really struggled, and he put a lot of bad tape out there while throwing to a completely new set of pass-catchers. He settled back in and improved down the stretch, finishing with 24 touchdown passes and nine picks, plus 11 rushing scores. He throws a beautiful deep ball and has tremendous touch on passes.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33093803/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-teams-aidan-hutchinson-malik-willis-nakobe-dean

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL mock draft 2022: Mel Kiper's predictions for all 32 first-round picks, teams for Aidan Hutchinson, Malik Willis, Nakobe Dean

11. Washington Football Team

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty

Time for the first quarterback off the board. You might be surprised that it's Willis, but you really shouldn't be. He was in the QB1 mix all fall before he faded a little bit in the last stretch of the regular season. The more tape I watch of his past two seasons and the more I talk to evaluators in the league, the more I like him. Put simply, Willis is the most talented quarterback in this class. He didn't always get to show that at Liberty, which didn't have much NFL talent around him. (He was sacked an astounding 51 times in 2021.) This is a dual-threat signal-caller -- he rushed for 1,822 yards and 27 touchdowns over the past two seasons -- with a powerful arm. I'm really excited to see him compete against the other top QBs in the Senior Bowl in a couple weeks.

Like Denver, Washington could be in the veteran QB market, but I like the fit with Willis. Washington can't go into the season with Taylor Heinicke as the starter.

18. New Orleans Saints

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

The Saints won four of five games to end the season and almost snuck into the playoffs, but their offense was subpar after Jameis Winston tore his ACL in late October. If Winston goes elsewhere in free agency, Sean Payton is going to want a new quarterback to groom. Taysom Hill, who turns 32 before the start of the 2022 season, hasn't shown enough to be considered their QB of the present nor future.

That's why I see Pickett, who's coming off an efficient 42-touchdown, seven-interception season, as the perfect fit for New Orleans. He took a huge leap in 2021, showing off pinpoint accuracy to every area of the field. He started 49 games in college, so he can play right away for a team that wants to compete for the playoffs. The biggest question I've heard from people in the NFL is one that you might laugh at: hand size. Pickett has small hands -- we'll find out the exact size at the Senior Bowl soon -- and that matters to the teams doing the drafting. If he can play his home games in a dome in New Orleans, that's a plus.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers

Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss

Like the Saints, the Steelers could immediately contend if they can figure out their quarterback position this offseason. Ben Roethlisberger appears likely to retire. I don't see backups Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins as NFL starters. They do have a strong core on both sides of the ball, though. If they acquire a veteran signal-caller via free agency or in a trade, this could be a spot to target a linemen to help a below-average O-line, but let's assume for now that they go into the draft without adding one.

Corral fits the mentality of what Mike Tomlin wants from his team. He's tough. He took a beating in multiple games in 2021, even running 30 times for 195 yards in a win over Tennessee. Oh, and he's a stellar passer, too, with touch, accuracy and arm strength. At 6-foot, he's not the biggest quarterback, but he threw 20 touchdown passes and just five picks this season. Corral sprained his ankle in the Rebels' bowl game but should be fine to work out at the combine. Because he hasn't yet graduated from school, he's the only one of the top QBs who won't be at the Senior Bowl, but he'll get his chance to show his skill set in front of scouts later.

28. Detroit Lions (via LAR)

Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina

I'm not sold on Jared Goff being Detroit's guy past 2022, so why not take a quarterback flier here with the pick it got from the trade with the Rams? By taking Howell in Round 1, the Lions would get his fifth-year option, which means they could hand over the reins in 2023. Yes, they have a lot of needs, but if they think they can get their future starting signal-caller, they should pounce.

Howell is a tricky evaluation, and he could definitely drop to Round 2. He looked like a potential top-10 pick after his sophomore season in 2020. At the beginning of the 2021 season, though, he really struggled, and he put a lot of bad tape out there while throwing to a completely new set of pass-catchers. He settled back in and improved down the stretch, finishing with 24 touchdown passes and nine picks, plus 11 rushing scores. He throws a beautiful deep ball and has tremendous touch on passes.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33093803/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-teams-aidan-hutchinson-malik-willis-nakobe-dean

Hard to believe that the first QB taken goes that late. But who knows how it will shake out after the dust settles from free agency and trades.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Hard to believe that the first QB taken goes that late. But who knows how it will shake out after the dust settles from free agency and trades.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the first QB will go higher than that. But that's just my opinion.

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Here's a question for you....IF Houston takes a QB would we have any interest in dealing for Davis Mills? I don't know much about him but I did watch him in the SF game late in the season and he didn't embarrass himself. Seems to have good height and a good arm....Was a rookie this year I believe. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume the first QB will go higher than that. But that's just my opinion.

I could see it playing this way or a number of other ways. The main thing I think will be ho the coaching search and free agency goes. Plus the Watson trade, the Jones deal, the Mayfield deal, etc. Then there are guys like Lock and all the fringe starters who may get spots as the guys. I think if we see multiple teams within the top 10 bring in multiple QBs, they're probably not going to draft a QB. That said, if they hire a new HC, will it be a veteran coach who may want a veteran QB to get him off the ground running, or a rookie to give him an excuse to learn to win. 

But in this case, I am not a fan of Willis. He has too many variables to me to be the first QB taken. I like him but he's probably third on my list (Howell, Corral, Willis). I really like what I'm seeing when watching Howell and the fact that he already has chemistry with Brown. I like Corral too but there are things that worry me like his injury history and his willingness to put his body into harm's way. I like that, nah I love that, but I think it means he'll miss some games every year until he grows out of it. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sure.  But for whatever reason Kiper and some others traditionally rise the QB prospects over time.  It's an odd dance but they keep doing it almost every year.  I'd put money that after a QB or two shines at the Senior Bowl, some dude rises into the top 5 of his mock. 

Right now, I'd guess 2 QBs go top 10.  If we stay at 11, we'd get the 3rd QB.  My guess is we don't sit.

Keim in his latest podcast did suggest they like some of these QBs in the draft. Forgot how it was said but that's how I took it.  Rivera himself said the same in an interview with the Junkies a few weeks ago.

Sheehan just played the segment from the Finlay podcast when Rivera laughed at Finlay when Finlay went I heard you need a QB, Rivera responding with now that's an understatement dude and Rivera kept on laughing.

I am looking forward to the movie starting.  I expect some veteran dude gets traded at the end of the month.  We end up in the running and miss.  Then maybe another two hit the trade market, we miss on them too.  Then all the talk focuses on some FA veteran and the draft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The main thing I think will be ho the coaching search and free agency goes. Plus the Watson trade, the Jones deal, the Mayfield deal, etc. Then there are guys like Lock and all the fringe starters who may get spots as the guys. I think if we see multiple teams within the top 10 bring in multiple QBs, they're probably not going to draft a QB. That said, if they hire a new HC, will it be a veteran coach who may want a veteran QB to get him off the ground running, or a rookie to give him an excuse to learn to win. 

Lock is not a fringe starter. I prefer Heinicke over Lock. The only thing Lock does better than Heinicke is he has a better arm. 

For the record, I don't think it matters how any of what you said goes. At least one, if not more, QBs are going in the top 10. 

Don't forget that if Jones/Mayfield are traded or moved on from (Jones I can see, Mayfield I can't) then that creates a need for them as well. There are too many QB needy teams and not enough QBs. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

There is a rumor the Bears might move on from Fields.

I saw that.  It felt more like speculation.  The idea is the new regime with the Bears, decide heck Wilson wants to go there, lets make that happen.  And if they trade for Wilson maybe Seattle doesn't want Fields. 

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Here's a question for you....IF Houston takes a QB would we have any interest in dealing for Davis Mills? I don't know much about him but I did watch him in the SF game late in the season and he didn't embarrass himself. Seems to have good height and a good arm....Was a rookie this year I believe. 

IMO Davis isn't better than the top 5 QBs in this draft.  High floor.  Low ceiling.  I think he has the potential to be an average QB.  I'd want to shoot for a higher ceiling than him.  Very vanilla.  Injury history, 2 ACL, knee injuries that we have to keep in mind.

In theory, I don't love the idea of taking a QB from a team that wants to upgrade their own QB situation.  So i'd see it as a red flag if a team wants to discard any of their guys in that context.  

• Like 1

I am still making notes about Pickett.  I think I finally hit a comp I like for him.  Jimmy G.     I don't see Burrow.    I get the late bloomer analogy.  Similar size, etc.    but I like Burrow's decision making better, accuracy better -- but the main thing is Burrow has amazing composure in the pocket. 

Burrow's composure in the pocket reminds me of Montana.  He's such a cool cat, confident and composed in the pocket.  That's not Pickett IMO.   I get that the analogies will keep being to Burrow because of the late bloomer angle and neither has a gun and thus rely on ball placement.  So the analogy doesn't seem nuts to me.  they are in the same brand so to speak.  But they aren't IMO the same players.  And if you dive deep on them IMO there are distinct differences. 

Like Jimmy G, Pickett's accuracy is good but not special.  Decision making is decent but sometimes reckless.    Like Jimmy G, Pickett has an average arm.  

I think their strengths mirror each other, they are both good at rolling out of the pocket and making throws in the move.   Neither is super fast but have some mobility -- Pickett having more mobility. 

Neither QB kills it on any one thing.  But they are very soild.  they both seemed to be billed for their intangibles -- they are both likeable from what I can tell. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am still making notes about Pickett.  I think I finally hit a comp I like for him.  Jimmy G.     I don't see Burrow.    I get the late bloomer analogy.  Similar size, etc.    but I like Burrow's decision making better, accuracy better -- but the main thing is Burrow has amazing composure in the pocket. 

Burrow's composure in the pocket reminds me of Montana.  He's such a cool cat, confident and composed in the pocket.  That's not Pickett IMO.   I get that the analogies will keep being to Burrow because of the late bloomer angle and neither has a gun and thus rely on ball placement.  So the analogy doesn't seem nuts to me.  they are in the same brand so to speak.  But they aren't IMO the same players.  And if you dive deep on them IMO there are distinct differences. 

Like Jimmy G, Pickett's accuracy is good but not special.  Decision making is decent but sometimes reckless.    Like Jimmy G, Pickett has an average arm.  

I think their strengths mirror each other, they are both good at rolling out of the pocket and making throws in the move.   Neither is super fast but have some mobility -- Pickett having more mobility. 

Neither QB kills it on any one thing.  But they are very soild.  they both seemed to be billed for their intangibles -- they are both likeable from what I can tell. 

I'm with you. Steady eddie with a moderate floor and a moderate ceiling.

Burrow has size, an arm, athleticism and that annoying as hell moxie that you hate if you're against him but love if you're with him.

Pickett doesn't have the same qualities. He has a lesser arm, lesser size, lesser athleticism and I don't see that kind of moxie. I also think Pickett's consistent desire to force the ball into double coverage is a major knock that isn't getting talked about enough. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I expect some veteran dude gets traded at the end of the month. 

I agree. I made reference to the Alex Smith trade being announced late January. 

This has got the makings of a QB feeding frenzy. Those parts will start moving sooner rather than later.

• Like 1