Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Werner in the second last year. @The Consigliere actually makes a good point in terms of LB value. I don’t follow his process and think it’s a bit too analytical, but the value at LB has shown to be in beyond the first. That’s not to say you can’t get a stud at LB in the first. You can. But you can maximize draft class value better going LB in a different round.

Yep, Browning and Bolton from yesterday’s game were drafted in the second and third.  Can typically get a year 1 starter at LB after the first round.

• Like 2

OK. I am done with QB tape. Here are my top ten QB's in this years draft.

1) Kenny Pickett. Amazing medium range accuracy. Elite processing speed. Elite pocket awareness. Excellent off balance throws. Dangerous throwing on the run. Solid arm but not special. Good size. Great leader and loves the game. Way underrated rushing ability. Can underthrow deep routes on occasion. One year wonder? And of course the small hands issue. Pickett is the best QB in this class. He isnt Joe Burrow. But he does remind me of him in some ways. 

NFL Comp: Joe Burrow

Top 5 Pick

2) Matt Corral. Excellent accuracy but a lot of throws near the LOS. Excellent pocket awareness. Strong arm. Excellent throwing on the run and off balance. Elite rushing ability and shiftiness. Tough as nails. Played well against the best competition in College Football. Has matured throughout his college career. Smaller size could limit his rushing ability at the next level. Will throw an unexplainable INT on occasion. 

NFL Comp: Baker Mayfield?

Top 10 pick

3) Carson Strong. Elite arm. Great read and recognition, Huge size, Excellent accuracy. Dangerous off balance throwing ability. Average athleticism. Average pocket awareness. Had a major knee injury which has been cleared.

NFL Comp: Drew Bledsoe

First round pick

4) Sam Howell. Great arm. Dangerous runner. Excellent pocket awareness. Average mid/deep accuracy. Not tall. But well built. Tough year to evaluate him as he has minimal weapons and OL was a sieve. Didnt seem to elevate other players around him. 

NFL Comp: A slower Lamar Jackson. 

Late 1st/Early 2nd.

5) Malik Willis. Excellent arm. Excellent rushing ability. Short but good build. Average accuracy. Will throw awful INT's on occasion. Played against poor opponents and didnt raise his game against higher ranked opponents. He is a project and will time to sit. 

NFL Comp: Tua 

Rounds 1/2

6) Desmond Ridder. Good height but spindly build. Excellent arm. Good deep ball accuracy. Good athleticism. Shifty in the pocket Struggles with touch on short to medium routes. Prone to the occasional bad mistake. 

NFL Comp: Ryan Tannehill.

Round 2/3

7) Bailey Zappe. Average arm. Good read and recognition. Good accuracy. A literal statue in the pocket. Put up unblievable numbers against poor competition. 

NFL Comp: Jake Fromm

Round 3

8 ) Tanner Mckee. Good arm. Good read and recognition. Good accuracy. Another pocket statue with very limited athleticism. If given time he will cut you to pieces. 

NFL Comp: Matt Ryan

Round 3

9) Brock Purdy. Good arm. Average accuracy. Good athleticism. Prone to making dangerous throws. Can hurt you with both feet and arm. But inconsistent with both. Excellent pocket awareness. 

NFL Comp: Kirk Cousins

Round 3/4

10) Aqeel Glass. Average arm. Excellent mid range accuracy. Excellent size. Limited athleticism. But can run. Played against weak competition. 

NFL Comp: Byron Leftwich

Round 3/4

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

I love the breakdown. I don’t understand some of the comps. Jackson to Howell doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Willis to Tu’a is another I don’t understand. What’s the thought process behind it? Not saying you’re wrong. I just don’t see it at all. 

Pickett to Burrow is another one besides circumstance.

Corral to Bledsoe?

I actually liked your write ups more than your comps.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love the breakdown. I don’t understand some of the comps. Jackson to Howell doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Willis to Tu’a is another I don’t understand. What’s the thought process behind it? Not saying you’re wrong. I just don’t see it at all. 

Corral to Bledsoe?

Purely comps from my eyes. Seeing flashes of those guys in each one while watching their tape. Only did the comps for fun. Nothing more. 

Edited by clskinsfan

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Corral to Bledsoe?

I see Strong to Bledsoe (Corral is to Baker)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I see Strong to Bledsoe (Corral is to Baker)

Strong to Bledsoe… yes I see that. Corral and Baker doesn’t click.

But his write ups were solid so knowing he did those for fun makes a lot of sense.

I think this is the draft where we get our franchise guy. Pickett, Coral, and Willis are excellent prospects imo. Both Pickett and Coral have ideal height, played in big time conferences and were all-conference, good speed, nfl arm, pocket presence and escapability, and they can go through reads quickly. Normally I would pass on a guy like Willis bc he’s a little shorter than I like and he didn’t play against great competition. However, this kid is electrifying! He reminds me so much of Michael Vick by how he runs and how he’s built. I think he could be okay in a traditional Nfl offense, but he could be great in a read option type offense like the Ravens use with Lamar. If we get one of these guys I believe we’re set for the next decade. I think all of them are top 10 talent but Coral may slide bc of the injury, idk. I’ve never been more excited for a draft than I am with this one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jds0912 said:

I think this is the draft where we get our franchise guy. Pickett, Coral, and Willis are excellent prospects imo. Both Pickett and Coral have ideal height, played in big time conferences and were all-conference, good speed, nfl arm, pocket presence and escapability, and they can go through reads quickly. Normally I would pass on a guy like Willis bc he’s a little shorter than I like and he didn’t play against great competition. However, this kid is electrifying! He reminds me so much of Michael Vick by how he runs and how he’s built. I think he could be okay in a traditional Nfl offense, but he could be great in a read option type offense like the Ravens use with Lamar. If we get one of these guys I believe we’re set for the next decade. I think all of them are top 10 talent but Coral may slide bc of the injury, idk. I’ve never been more excited for a draft than I am with this one. 

Willis is going to have to sit for while. Maybe even multiple years. Ron doesnt have time for that. I think we end up trading up in the draft for either Pickett or Corral. But that is just my gut. I wouldnt hate picking Strong or Howell at 9 either. We have to come away with a first round QB in this draft. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Willis is going to have to sit for while. Maybe even multiple years. Ron doesnt have time for that. I think we end up trading up in the draft for either Pickett or Corral. But that is just my gut. I wouldnt hate picking Strong or Howell at 9 either. We have to come away with a first round QB in this draft. 

I totally agree with you that we have to go QB in the first round. I think you’re right that Willis would have to sit for a few years, but only if we try to fit him into a traditional drop back offense. Imo he could play right away and be very effective if we run a ravens type offense because it relies on athleticism more than quick thinking. I love Pickett and Coral bc they can be the prototypical pocket passer and they also have some speed but not like Willis has. I’m not as high on Howell bc he’s just a little short for a pocket passer and he didn’t have a great season this year. Only problem I have with Strong is he didn’t face great competition. I know there are exceptions like Russell Wilson and Drew Brees being short and Josh Allen playing at Wyoming, but I just trust prospects a lot more if they have the size and experience of facing top competition. Since that’s what I believe I’m sure Howell and Strong will go on to be hall of famers  😂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Still saying it.  If Texans go QB in round 1.  Let's trade for Davis Mills.

I liked Mills a lot during last years draft cycle. Even got laughed at about it quite a bit. And I looked like a fool the first half of the season. He played really poorly. He played well the second half of the season. I would prefer Pickett, Corral or Strong over him in this draft though. There is something to be said for having that 5th year option with a first rounder.

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Purely comps from my eyes. Seeing flashes of those guys in each one while watching their tape. Only did the comps for fun. Nothing more. 

I liked your write-ups and appreciate your post.

I did toss up the laugh emoji on the post but it was for the comparisons not your evals. Comparisons are tough to validate, but I appreciate you doing it.👍

:229:The Rook

• Thanks 1

Pickett and Coral are better prospects than Mills was. Mills has shown what he can do though. If the Texans take one of them and we don’t get the other or Willis I’d definitely trade for Mills. I also loved Trask and would love to see us trade for him but that’s unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Noone sits for a few years anymore. At most you sit for like half a year like Jackson. 

Trey Lance just basically sat the entire season because he was incapable of beating out an average veteran. When he did play he got a knee sprain which would have kept him out for 2 weeks normally. Instead he didnt see the field again for 12 weeks. Because he was nowhere near ready to be a Pro QB. So yeah. Players do still sit. And the 9ers gave up 3 first rounders for him by the way. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Trey Lance just basically sat the entire season because he was incapable of beating out an average veteran. When he did play he got a knee sprain which would have kept him out for 2 weeks normally. Instead he didnt see the field again for 12 weeks. Because he was nowhere near ready to be a Pro QB. So yeah. Players do still sit. And the 9ers gave up 3 first rounders for him by the way. 

Here is a strange thought - I honestly believe if Trey Lance was coming out this year, there is a boat-load of ES posters who would gladly trade 3 first round picks because "You have to go all-in for the QB". 

:229:The Rook

• Haha 2