Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t really follow CFB, but that’s what it sounds like to me.  I mean, I like Holcomb, but man, if he could be the Robin to a Batman of a backer…

But alas, as I said don’t see how we free up that 1st round pick.  Maybe we get crazy lucky and all of the qbs drop and we’re able to trade up from the 2nd instead.  One can dream anyway…

QB and LB currently looks the way we should be going with picks 1 and 2.

QB then maybe jump back into the lower first for a LB. 

I could see us trading one of our DL. The Payne situation is one to watch. Can’t think Sweat is that popular with RR right now either.

Get a FS in free agency.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That mock is whacked. I doubt most of those things happen. I doubt Lloyd is the 3rd LBer taken and certainly not that far back. I like Brisker a lot, but not in the first. 

If any of those 3 LBers get to the Cowboys, they'll take one since they're losing Vander Esch. Hill won't go that early and I think Cine is 2nd or 3rd safety off the board, probably early second.

Far too many QB teams to see only those 3 go round one.

And we'd take Howell who I think might be the target after Corral.

Don’t do that. Don’t give me hope.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

That mock is whacked. I doubt most of those things happen. I doubt Lloyd is the 3rd LBer taken and certainly not that far back. I like Brisker a lot, but not in the first. 

If any of those 3 LBers get to the Cowboys, they'll take one since they're losing Vander Esch. Hill won't go that early and I think Cine is 2nd or 3rd safety off the board, probably early second.

Far too many QB teams to see only those 3 go round one.

And we'd take Howell who I think might be the target after Corral.

My gut right now is we end up with Corral or Howell.  They both seem so up Rivera's alley.  Those two are so tough and feisty and leaders -- with backgrounds that I think Rivera will love including military.

Their differences are interesting, too.  Reading about Howell,  he's more of the leader by example type.  Super PG personality, religious, doesn't drink stays out of trouble.  Quiet-nice guy.  Corral is feisty, emotional, he needs to be ramped down sometimes.   

They have similar height.  Supposedly Corral an inch taller.  But Howell is much stockier though.  Howell had to lose weight in college.  Corral probably needs to put some on.  I wish Corral had Howell's stocky build.  I wish Howell had Corral's vision in the pocket and in open field. 

Corral's dad was a marine.  He's close with his parents, his dad never missing a game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32145928/how-lane-kiffin-matt-corral-stories-intertwined-flourished-ole-miss

He was throwing it 70 yards with accuracy, and he's not a huge guy [6-foot-2, 205 pounds]. But his whole upper body is loose, really loose. When he does our flexibility test where he puts his arms back, it's amazing how far back he can go. He's also a very good quarterback scrambler. He's not going to be the fastest guy at the [NFL] combine, but he's got really good feet and is slippery once he starts running."

...Corral's father, Peter, has seen the way his son has blossomed under Kiffin.

"Lane Kiffin coming to Ole Miss was a godsend for Matt," Peter said. "Matt blossomed in every way when Lane came. They just connected. Matt is an easy-going kid, pretty laid-back but always competitive. He's the youngest of three boys, and his big brothers never took it easy on him. He learned to fight back, despite what anybody else thought about him, and found an ally in Lane."

...Kiffin has a harsh evaluation process for quarterbacks coming to play in the SEC who aren't from the SEC footprint. It didn't take him long to realize that Corral checks all of the boxes.

"You've got to have a certain leadership personality, in my opinion, to come into the SEC with these kids and be able to win them over, especially as a California kid," Kiffin said. "Matt has that swagger and that leadership component that kids follow, and you see the way they've taken to him on this team."

Good article about Howell for some

https://sports.yahoo.com/last-dance-agenda-carolina-qb-sam-howell-looks-to-take-down-clemson-and-lead-unc-to-cfp-194834092.html

But Howell says that can wait until after his rookie year. The structure and discipline of the military background from his grandparents has been passed down. Duke Howell, a probation officer by trade, had side jobs mowing lawns and working at the airport to help pay for the kids to play sports. He wrestled at Appalachian State where he met Amy, a middle blocker on the volleyball team. (They split soon after Sam enrolled at UNC and have since divorced.)

“It was nothing extreme, like some military kids have it,” Sam Howell said. “But you can tell it’s definitely some type of structure. My parents weren’t hard on us, they just kind of expected things.”

7 hours ago, method man said:

I think Howell is one of the QBs they are evaluating seriously. It was reported they sent scouts to the Pitt-UNC game and it was reported they sent a scout to at least another UNC game this season. 

They had scouts from what I recall to watch all these top prospects as they should.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut right now is we end up with Corral or Howell.  They both seem so up Rivera's alley.  Those two are so tough and feisty and leaders -- with backgrounds that I think Rivera will love including military.

Their differences are interesting, too.  Reading about Howell,  he's more of the leader by example type.  Super PG personality, religious, doesn't drink stays out of trouble.  Quiet-nice guy.  Corral is feisty, emotional, he needs to be ramped down sometimes.   

They have similar height.  Supposedly Corral an inch taller.  But Howell is much stockier though.  Howell had to lose weight in college.  Corral probably needs to put some on.  I wish Corral had Howell's stock build.  I wish Howell had Corral's vision in the pocket and open field. 

Corral's dad was a marine.  He's close with his parents, his dad never missing a game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32145928/how-lane-kiffin-matt-corral-stories-intertwined-flourished-ole-miss

He was throwing it 70 yards with accuracy, and he's not a huge guy [6-foot-2, 205 pounds]. But his whole upper body is loose, really loose. When he does our flexibility test where he puts his arms back, it's amazing how far back he can go. He's also a very good quarterback scrambler. He's not going to be the fastest guy at the [NFL] combine, but he's got really good feet and is slippery once he starts running."

...Corral's father, Peter, has seen the way his son has blossomed under Kiffin.

"Lane Kiffin coming to Ole Miss was a godsend for Matt," Peter said. "Matt blossomed in every way when Lane came. They just connected. Matt is an easy-going kid, pretty laid-back but always competitive. He's the youngest of three boys, and his big brothers never took it easy on him. He learned to fight back, despite what anybody else thought about him, and found an ally in Lane."

...Kiffin has a harsh evaluation process for quarterbacks coming to play in the SEC who aren't from the SEC footprint. It didn't take him long to realize that Corral checks all of the boxes.

"You've got to have a certain leadership personality, in my opinion, to come into the SEC with these kids and be able to win them over, especially as a California kid," Kiffin said. "Matt has that swagger and that leadership component that kids follow, and you see the way they've taken to him on this team."

Good article about Howell for some

https://sports.yahoo.com/last-dance-agenda-carolina-qb-sam-howell-looks-to-take-down-clemson-and-lead-unc-to-cfp-194834092.html

But Howell says that can wait until after his rookie year. The structure and discipline of the military background from his grandparents has been passed down. Duke Howell, a probation officer by trade, had side jobs mowing lawns and working at the airport to help pay for the kids to play sports. He wrestled at Appalachian State where he met Amy, a middle blocker on the volleyball team. (They split soon after Sam enrolled at UNC and have since divorced.)

“It was nothing extreme, like some military kids have it,” Sam Howell said. “But you can tell it’s definitely some type of structure. My parents weren’t hard on us, they just kind of expected things.”

I'm cool with either one if we miss on Carr.

• Like 3

Question.  Let's say Washington has the #9 pick and all the QBs are available along with freakish FS Kyle Hamilton.  Should they draft one of the QBs or take Kyle Hamilton and draft a QB in the second?  If no QB comes out of the combine looking like a can't-miss prospect, I would strongly consider taking Hamilton. 

FS has been a massive hole for too many years and now a potential superfreak FS is there for the taking.  Who would you draft if none of the QBs impress you at the combine?

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Question.  Let's say Washington has the #9 pick and all the QBs are available along with freakish FS Kyle Hamilton.  Should they draft one of the QBs or take Kyle Hamilton and draft a QB in the second?  If no QB comes out of the combine looking like a can't-miss prospect, I would strongly consider taking Hamilton. 

FS has been a massive hole for too many years and now a potential superfreak FS is there for the taking.  Who would you draft if none of the QBs impress you at the combine?

I cant believe I'm saying this, but QB. Its the one position holding us back and routinely costing us wins.

And I've wanted Hamilton for a long time. I also want Dean pretty badly and that's definitely a top 3 long time hole on this team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I cant believe I'm saying this, but QB. Its the one position holding us back and routinely costing us wins.

And I've wanted Hamilton for a long time. I also want Dean pretty badly and that's definitely a top 3 long time hole on this team.

You are 100% correct about how the lack of a QB has held this team back (for most of the last 30 years).  Two things would really frighten me if I was hired to make that decision.  Drafting a bust at QB while Hamilton plays like a HOFer.  And drafting Hamilton who plays like a JAG while one of the QBs we could have drafted plays like Aaron Rodgers.

Whoever makes that ill-fated decision would need to go into hiding or just leave town.  And he should probably lose his job.

8 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

You are 100% correct about how the lack of a QB has held this team back (for most of the last 30 years).  Two things would really frighten me if I was hired to make that decision.  Drafting a bust at QB while Hamilton plays like a HOFer.  And drafting Hamilton who plays like a JAG while one of the QBs we could have drafted plays like Aaron Rodgers.

Whoever makes that ill-fated decision would need to go into hiding or just leave town.  And he should probably lose his job.

It's similar to taking Chase when we did, but he was a cleaner prospect at a higher valued position, but we're further down the QB hole.

Besides, there should be at least 3 very good young FS in FA and zero QBs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

You are 100% correct about how the lack of a QB has held this team back (for most of the last 30 years).

Dan Marino was taken one pick ahead of us in 1983. No disrespect to Darrell Green, but can you imagine what Gibbs could have done with Marino?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Having Sean Taylor was such a luxury....teams feared him. If this kid is anything like a Taylor or Derwin James and no QB's grade out to be surefire NFL starters then I'd go with the difference making safety. I'm in the camp to build this defense as much as possible rather than forcing a QB in the draft. I've seen too many young QB's struggle for other teams who were high picks. WE NEED PLAYMAKERS on both sides of the ball.

I look at New England and seriously believe they have the formula we need to follow. They run the ball and play great defense all while their rookie QB is being coached up by the best and learning the NFL. I LOVE New Englands RB tandem, both are true bellcow backs. If N.E. would entertain trading one of those two backs for either Sweat, Payne or someone else I would do it.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Dan Marino was taken one pick ahead of us in 1983. No disrespect to Darrell Green, but can you imagine what Gibbs could have done with Marino?

And we almost completed a trade for John Elway during Gibbs I.  With Marino or Elway, Gibbs would have been considered the GOAT of NFL head coaches.  

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wow!  You just said a mouthful.  I think most WFT fans consider Darrell Green their all-time favorite.  Talk about hindsight being 20/20.  Darrell Green did win two Super Bowls to Marino's none.  Just sayin'.

Added:  Can you imagine Dan Marino as the starting QB of that 1991 WFT?😬

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's similar to taking Chase when we did, but he was a cleaner prospect at a higher valued position, but we're further down the QB hole.

Besides, there should be at least 3 very good young FS in FA and zero QBs.

Your points are quite valid.  I just want to emphasize that in my hypothetical you were not impressed by any of the QBs at the combine.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Again, here you are arguing in terms of money. Which tells me how you think. He played for his TEAMMATES. Not the university. Not money. His team. The people he went to work with every day and built relationships with.

The same people that will shake their heads and lament the career he could have had. The NFL, like the NCAA is a business. Players that govern their careers otherwise are naive, foolish, or both. I understand all that stuff about team and loyalty but at the end of the day, the NFL/NCAA are going to handle their business appropriately. If you don’t make it, sucks for you kid but there’s another guy coming along and your contribution won’t be missed.

I know top players are insured against the risk of injury, but that generally amounts to a consolation prize. They need to watch out for número uno. 

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

The same people that will shake their heads and lament the career he could have had. The NFL, like the NCAA is a business. Players that govern their careers otherwise are naive, foolish, or both. I understand all that stuff about team and loyalty but at the end of the day, the NFL/NCAA are going to handle their business appropriately. If you don’t make it, sucks for you kid but there’s another guy coming along and your contribution won’t be missed.

I know top players are insured against the risk of injury, but that generally amounts to a consolation prize. They need to watch out for número uno. 

My point:

I don't care what decision they make. It's their bodies, their career, their team. He chose to make the decision he did for whatever reasons he did. He made the right choice.

For him.

I could argue the guys who sit out make the right choice for themselves as well, though imagine being one of their teammates and not having one of your best players in one of the biggest games of your life. But I understand it.

I don't think anyone should be in the business of telling these young men what to do or assuming you know better.

Just now, The Sisko said:

I don’t disagree KDawg. However I hate to see people get suckered. The NCAA makes bazillions of dollars off these kids and any expectation or pressure to play in meaningless games is unethical IMO.

They aren't any more meaningless than any other game. It's a game ultimately. And these kids get paid in college, too. Not what they will in the pros. But the odds of injury ARE fairly low and some of their FRIENDS and teammates will never play another football game again.

It's not them JUST getting suckered. These young men understand and they want to walk onto that field one last time with their friends. And sometimes even coaches whom they love and respect.

I refuse to paint those kids in a negative light or as suckers. They are upstanding men.

If they choose to go the other route, too. I don't not respect them for it. I just don't look at them with bonus admiration. I understand why.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm liking Jaquan Brisker FS Penn State as a potential fit.

Been following him a lot. Had a great year as a starter, but definitely more of a SS than FS. Pretty similar to Curl. 

Hes going to be really good though. I like Hill or Cine for us if they last to our 2nd.

• Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Messing with the math a little, if we beat the Giants which I think we will, I think we end up with pick #11.

Feels like it could be slightly worse, but a bunch of the teams that could jump us also play eacchother, is 11th the worst case scenario or more like 12th-13th? Got a class rolling in so can't check now. Very much a relief that we're not repeating last year's run that cost Fields/Mac Jones, hopefully we get lucky, but no matter what, picking six-eight slots higher than we might have as of a few weeks ago can only potentially help. 

16 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

You don’t waste first round picks on LB’s unless they’re edge rushers. It’s poor use of draft capital and salary cap room efficiency. Safety is a bit more complicated and worthwhile if the player is a strong asset in pass defense/coverage.

I can see the benefit of using the analytics you talked about in the decision.  Makes sense.  

I think it also makes sense though to look at who is available and how much they help your team.  Personally, I think a stud linebacker probably lifts this defense a notch - it’s a pretty major hole for us and I’d argue that it’s a position that’s also hard to address in FA.  

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Feels like it could be slightly worse, but a bunch of the teams that could jump us also play eacchother, is 11th the worst case scenario or more like 12th-13th? Got a class rolling in so can't check now. Very much a relief that we're not repeating last year's run that cost Fields/Mac Jones, hopefully we get lucky, but no matter what, picking six-eight slots higher than we might have as of a few weeks ago can only potentially help. 

I believe 13th is worse case.

Here's what I think happens

We beat the Giants

Browns beat the Steelers -- we want that to happen

Vikings beat the Bears  -- we want that to happen

Denvers loses to the Chiefs -- we don't want that to happen

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe 13th is worse case.

Here's what I think happens

We beat the Giants

Browns beat the Steelers -- we want that to happen

Vikings beat the Bears  -- we want that to happen

Denvers loses to the Chiefs -- we don't want that to happen

With the Browns now eliminated and Ben’s last home game, I can see that game going to Pitt.  And I wonder who Minnesota will play at QB.  If they start Mond, Chicago has a good chance.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think our draft position is going to matter too much. I figure it's going to be Corral or Howell and one of them will be there at our pick.

For me, I'd feel differently.  Who knows how accurate these mocks are, granted.  For now, judging purely by mocks, its a safe bet that Howell isn't going top 10.  I like Howell better than the typical mock drafter.  Heck I read a couple last night that had him in the 2nd round. 

I like Howell but I like Corral better.   I am still trying to digest Pickett.  Judging purely by mocks seems like the feeling is Pickett and Corral might go top 10. and all the other guys not.  Willis is all over the place in mocks, Ridder, too. 

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

With the Browns now eliminated and Ben’s last home game, I can see that game going to Pitt.  And I wonder who Minnesota will play at QB.  If they start Mond, Chicago has a good chance.

Maybe.  The Browns have 2 games left, they need to win one of them, if they lose both of them and we win, then we pick after them.

We'd want the Bears to win if we lose.  But if we win we'd want the reverse. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, I'd feel differently.  Who knows how accurate these mocks are, granted.  For now, judging purely by mocks, its a safe bet that Howell isn't going top 10.  I like Howell better than the typical mock drafter.  Heck I read a couple last night that had him in the 2nd round. 

I like Howell but I like Corral better.   I am still trying to digest Pickett.  Judging purely by mocks seems like the feeling is Pickett and Corral might go top 10. and all the other guys not.  Willis is all over the place in mocks, Ridder, too. 

It's not even completely clear who the teams that will take a QB are this year and some of those have multiple picks. Some teams may be looking to load up on picks for next year, too.