Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

The only one of the linebacker prospects that has truly surprised me is Bolton.  Didn't think he had the speed for a heavy role in the NFL.  I'm still not sold that I was wrong about him, but he has been productive and played a ton of snaps so far.  I hope I am wrong about him because I always liked his style, and I want there to be room for players like him in the league.

Did you see Caden Sterns's stat line?  He's only played 35 snaps on defense and he already has two TFLs, a pick, and three deflections.  That's some efficiency.  The Broncos need to get that man in the game more.

• Like 1

I heard Rivera in a recent interview say Norv is very influential on Scott as for helping him and he's been at multiple practices and very helpful to the team itself.     Sounds similar to what Mike supposedly does with Kyle.  It wasn't hard for me to dicipher that Mike studied the QBs before the last draft when he talked about the prospects with Sheehan. 

My point is I wonder if Norv is a pointman on studying QBs, too.  If so, I got to think about stylistically what he liked.  I knew he at least used to like QBs who threw a good deep ball. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

It's been noted that I would have taken Herbert #1 overall last year. He was the top rated QB prospect the year before he returned to college. He didn't just lose his skill. 

Having said that, I don't see any of the QB's this year honestly coming close to that level of talent as it currently stands. Willis is a huge project and his accuracy is a big problem. He's got a live arm but so did Haskins. He's also not playing against great talent. It's also hard to see Corral as the 'best of the bunch.' He was dominated by Alabama. Carson strong is probably the best deep ball, but has no legs.

Bottom line, it's a tough year to be needing a franchise QB as it currently stands.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The only one of the linebacker prospects that has truly surprised me is Bolton.  Didn't think he had the speed for a heavy role in the NFL.  I'm still not sold that I was wrong about him, but he has been productive and played a ton of snaps so far.  I hope I am wrong about him because I always liked his style, and I want there to be room for players like him in the league.

Did you see Caden Sterns's stat line?  He's only played 35 snaps on defense and he already has two TFLs, a pick, and three deflections.  That's some efficiency.  The Broncos need to get that man in the game more.

It's hard to ignore stand out production like Bolton had. If his floor is a Will Compton as a 2nd, it's not a huge miss, but being a smart old school type Backer will always have a place I think.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's hard to ignore stand out production like Bolton had. If his floor is a Will Compton as a 2nd, it's not a huge miss, but being a smart old school type Backer will always have a place I think.

I didn't talk much about Bolton or study him but from what I recall he struck me as an old school run stopper-leader of defense type.  The pause was his speed-pass coverage. 

40 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It's been noted that I would have taken Herbert #1 overall last year. He was the top rated QB prospect the year before he returned to college. He didn't just lose his skill. 

Having said that, I don't see any of the QB's this year honestly coming close to that level of talent as it currently stands. Willis is a huge project and his accuracy is a big problem. He's got a live arm but so did Haskins. He's also not playing against great talent. It's also hard to see Corral as the 'best of the bunch.' He was dominated by Alabama. Carson strong is probably the best deep ball, but has no legs.

Bottom line, it's a tough year to be needing a franchise QB as it currently stands.

I don't think Coral wss dominated by Alabama.  Ole Miss was dominated by Alabama.  Corral to me looked ok that game albeit it wasn't him at his best.  

Willis and Haskins to me are as apples to oranges as players as it gets.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't think Corral was "dominated" by Alabama. He played pretty well for a guy on an inferior team facing a juggernaut. 21/29 for 213 yards 1 TD 0 INT certainly isn't anything amazing, but it's not like he went out there and tossed interceptions left and right or something.

Ole Miss was simply outclassed by a far better overall team.

I am kind of hoping this ends up being one of the least talented draft classes in decades.

On an unrelated note... If the season ended today the Eagles would have the 4th, 6th, and 9th overall picks in the draft.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I am kind of hoping this ends up being one of the least talented draft classes in decades.

On an unrelated note... If the season ended today the Eagles would have the 4th, 6th, and 9th overall picks in the draft.

Wait, how did they get three 1sts?  Carson Wentz is a 1st/2nd conditional.  Ooohhh yeah, Miami traded back up like a total dummy.

Ugh.  That's some ridiculous draft capital.  Wonder if that's the best ever.

19 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wait, how did they get three 1sts?  Carson Wentz is a 1st/2nd conditional.  Ooohhh yeah, Miami traded back up like a total dummy.

Ugh.  That's some ridiculous draft capital.  Wonder if that's the best ever.

Indy picked 1st and 2nd one year. That was pretty cool.

• Like 1

He's very athletic and he's fully come into his own as a field general.  Reads his pressures accurately and manages them well when they are unexpected.  Stays poised and gets creative when he gets off schedule.  And he's also developed a mind-meld with Addison in a way that reminds me of how Burrow got with his WRs during his magical senior season.

He took me by surprise in the GT game.  He's been their starting QB forever and he has never really looked that special before, and I didn't realize how good he'd gotten this year before I watched him tap dance on the team I was rooting for.  Georgia Tech is a good defense, but the game got out of hand off of two unfortunate INTs early on and Pickett got rolling.  His ability to string plays out and find late-developing windows is really tough to deal with.

It looks like the light bulb has come on for him, and that he's become the best player in the ACC this season.  It's still early, but I don't see what's really going to stop him this year.  He's playing like a grown man who has mastered the game at his level, competing against young guys who are still learning it.  I wish he had a little more natural arm strength, and that's what I think separates him from the Kyler Murray and Justin Herbert type of athletic off-platform throwers.  But I don't see a lot of flaws in his play or his make up other than he's a little bit older for a prospect, which is not much of an issue for QBs since they can play deep into their 30s.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for rubbing it in :P

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's very athletic and he's fully come into his own as a field general.  Reads his pressures accurately and manages them well when they are unexpected.  Stays poised and gets creative when he gets off schedule.  And he's also developed a mind-meld with Addison in a way that reminds me of how Burrow got with his WRs during his magical senior season.

He took me by surprise in the GT game.  He's been their starting QB forever and he has never really looked that special before, and I didn't realize how good he'd gotten this year before I watched him tap dance on the team I was rooting for.  Georgia Tech is a good defense, but the game got out of hand off of two unfortunate INTs early on and Pickett got rolling.  His ability to string plays out and find late-developing windows is really tough to deal with.

It looks like the light bulb has come on for him, and that he's become the best player in the ACC this season.  It's still early, but I don't see what's really going to stop him this year.  He's playing like a grown man who has mastered the game at his level, competing against young guys who are still learning it.  I wish he had a little more natural arm strength, and that's what I think separates him from the Kyler Murray and Justin Herbert type of athletic off-platform throwers.  But I don't see a lot of flaws in his play or his make up other than he's a little bit older for a prospect, which is not much of an issue for QBs since they can play deep into their 30s.

He's got enough arm for me. Maybe not a top 5 pick, but if we're in the teens and he's there, I would be happy with that move.

• Like 2

Just now, Morneblade said:

He's got enough arm for me. Maybe not a top 5 pick, but if we're in the teens and he's there, I would be happy with that move.

Yeah he's got enough to make the really explosive downfield throws you want to have in your offense.  And he's such a good athlete that he can buy himself time to get his feet right to drive the ball downfield.  He just has to be more careful about his timing than the dudes with the God tier arms.

Honestly, this QB class has so little consensus in the hierarchy that top five isn't out of the question for him.  Burrow and Zach and Mac Wilson were all big time climbers in their final seasons of college ball, that could happen for Pickett as well if he keeps playing so well.  We might be looking back on this point in sixth months thinking to ourselves about what a pipe dream it was to think we could get Pickett in the teens.  Hopefully that doesn't happen and he kind of levels off.

• Like 5

I figured something was up with Winston's paltry passing yards numbers this year.   His QBR rating is good though.  I haven't though watched him to form my own opinion. 

Listening to Bobby Herbert talk about it, saying he's spoken to NO people behind the scenes, sounds like Winston has been underwhelming so far.  Herbert saying more or less that what he's hearing is that Payton isn't high on Winston based on what he's heard and he expects them to go elsewhere at QB next season.   And Rivera who typically overpraises the QB coming up next, really struggled to complement Winston.  

If Herbert ends up right, the Saints might be shopping for a QB in this draft.  Sean Payton's style is to be aggressive but heck he might not have to be if their record doesn't end up hot.   If Payton likes a good he tends to go for broke to get them.    Though Herbery mentioned maybe chasing Watson. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I posted this a while back, but look at the teams who will chase a QB and who won't this off-season:

Teams with their QBs locked in:

1). Bills (Allen)

2). Pats (Jones)

3). Jets (Wilson

4). Ravens (Jackson)

5). Browns (Mayfield)

6). Bengals (Burrow)

7). Titans (Tannehill)

8.  Colts (Wentz) (too pot committed)

9). Jags (Lawrence)

10). Raiders (Carr)

11). KC (Maholmes)

12). LAC (Herbert)

13). Dallas (Dak)

14). NYG (Jones) (Their ownership loves him and he's produced so far this season)

15). Bears (Fields)

16). TB (Brady) (as long as he's their, they won't draft a QB as the next guy and instead will try and win now)

17). Panthers (Darnold) (looks good right now)

18). SF (Lance)

19). Rams (Stafford)

20). Seattle (Wilson)

21). Arizona (Murray)

Teams potentially looking at a QB:

22). Miami (Do they give Tua more time?)

23). Pittsburgh (stone cold lock)

24). Texans (Obviously depends on Watson.  If he's back, then they are locked in on him)

25). Denver (Depends on what they think of Teddy.  Lock isn't the answer)

26).  Philly (Unless Hurts lights it up, I think they will use their draft capital to try and trade for Watson/draft a guy)

27). GB (Depends on what Rodgers wants)

28). Lions (Do they roll with Goff and build around him?)

29). Vikings (They are committed cap wise to Kirk, but they were rumored to be hot after Fields last year)

30). Atlanta (Ryan is near the end)

31). NO (Payton hasn't been shy about going after young QBs (remember his Maholmes chase)

32). Was (duh)

We have a ton of competition for QBs.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I posted this a while back, but look at the teams who will chase a QB and who won't this off-season:

Teams with their QBs locked in:

1). Bills (Allen)

2). Pats (Jones)

3). Jets (Wilson

4). Ravens (Jackson)

5). Browns (Mayfield)

6). Bengals (Burrow)

7). Titans (Tannehill)

8.  Colts (Wentz) (too pot committed)

9). Jags (Lawrence)

10). Raiders (Carr)

11). KC (Maholmes)

12). LAC (Herbert)

13). Dallas (Dak)

14). NYG (Jones) (Their ownership loves him and he's produced so far this season)

15). Bears (Fields)

16). TB (Brady) (as long as he's their, they won't draft a QB as the next guy and instead will try and win now)

17). Panthers (Darnold) (looks good right now)

18). SF (Lance)

19). Rams (Stafford)

20). Seattle (Wilson)

21). Arizona (Murray)

Teams potentially looking at a QB:

22). Miami (Do they give Tua more time?)

23). Pittsburgh (stone cold lock)

24). Texans (Obviously depends on Watson.  If he's back, then they are locked in on him)

25). Denver (Depends on what they think of Teddy.  Lock isn't the answer)

26).  Philly (Unless Hurts lights it up, I think they will use their draft capital to try and trade for Watson/draft a guy)

27). GB (Depends on what Rodgers wants)

28). Lions (Do they roll with Goff and build around him?)

29). Vikings (They are committed cap wise to Kirk, but they were rumored to be hot after Fields last year)

30). Atlanta (Ryan is near the end)

31). NO (Payton hasn't been shy about going after young QBs (remember his Maholmes chase)

32). Was (duh)

We have a ton of competition for QBs.  

Green Bay is set on Love if Rodgers leaves. Plus, one of these teams will take Rodgers and another Cousins if their teams move on.

My top choice for QB is Mitch Trubisky.  Should be able to get him on a three year deal where the team has an out after two years at a reasonable price.  I think he has the talent and like Sam Darnold in New York, Trubisky was just in a bad situation in Chicago.  I also wouldn't mind going after a Tua, though I like the Trubisky option more (I liked the Sam Darnold option last year).   

If there is a QB in the draft we like by all means go for him, but I assuming by the middle of the first round tehre won't be anybody we love.  Meanwhile Trubisky is a free agent so we don't have to give up anything to sign him and he may be around the same price as a rookie QB.

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

My top choice for QB is Mitch Trubisky.  Should be able to get him on a three year deal where the team has an out after two years at a reasonable price.  I think he has the talent and like Sam Darnold in New York, Trubisky was just in a bad situation in Chicago.  I also wouldn't mind going after a Tua, though I like the Trubisky option more (I liked the Sam Darnold option last year).   

If there is a QB in the draft we like by all means go for him, but I assuming by the middle of the first round tehre won't be anybody we love.  Meanwhile Trubisky is a free agent so we don't have to give up anything to sign him and he may be around the same price as a rookie QB.

I'd like to go Trubinski and Heinicke and then draft a QB fairly early and again late.

This draft and offseason I really want to see them just flat out attack the QB, LB and FS positions.

44 minutes ago, philibusters said:

My issue with Trubisky is he came from the Tar Heels offense. They run a very weird spread offense, that doesn't teach reads.  His biggest downfall in the NFL is that he can't read progressions, and his accuracy is all over the charts. I'll pass.

Edited by ZarG3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

My issue with Trubisky is he came from the Tar Heels offense. They run a very weird spread offense, that doesn't teach reads.  His biggest downfall in the NFL is that he can't read progressions, and his accuracy is all over the charts. I'll pass.

Half the teams in college football use spread offenses that probably don't translate to the NFL.  I just don't want to draft a QB like Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, or Dwayne Haskins (our last three first rounders) where we know they are not really a blue chip prospect but we reach because we need a QB.  I would rather go for a guy like Trubisky.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, Koolblue13 said:

I got spooked by his Georgia and Alabama film.  Particularly the Georgia game.  It made me feel that he was too slow to make the jump to the NFL.  But it also could have just been a bad day.  Anyone who has played a sport has had them.  In hindsight, he's pretty much the same prospect that Denzel Perryman was.  He's carved out a nice career as a rotation linebacker.  It's not the most ideal way to spend a second round pick, but probably not super different from spending one on a run stuffing IDL.

• Like 1