Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Breer 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/13/mailbag-raiders-next-coach-after-jon-gruden

From Sammy (@SammyWFTFAN): Is Washington going to be looking to draft a QB in the upcoming draft?

Sammy, I’d certainly say it’s on the table—but this offseason does figure to be a little different for quarterback-needy teams. Oklahoma’s Spencer Rattler and North Carolina’s Sam Howell came into the season with a shot to play their way into the first round of April’s draft. That hasn’t happened. So now teams could be looking at guys like Liberty’s Malik Willis, Nevada’s Carson Strong and Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder as the top 2022 QBs.

It's been 25 years since the first round went by without a quarterback taken—in 1996, 42nd pick Tony Banks was the first one taken—and I’m not suggesting that’ll happen this year. But I do think this might be the sort of buyer-beware year like 2013 or ’19, when we had quarterbacks pushed up the board because there weren’t enough first-round-worthy prospects to satisfy leaguewide demand.

Based on how Washington has operated under Ron Rivera, I actually don’t think it’s as prone to reaching for one as other teams might be. Which is why I see them more likely to dive into a veteran market that could include Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson and Aaron Rodgers. It’s what they tried to do last year, when they offered Detroit the 19th pick and a third-rounder for Matthew Stafford.

So yes, they’ll look. But no, I wouldn’t bank on their taking one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/17/early-look-2022-nfl-qb-carousel

Not that Matt Ryan is my top target but my gut is if they trade for a veteran he might be the guy.  The bigger names I don't think would want to come here.  And I'd bet a 2nd rounder would land him so they wouldn't have to forefeit a likely a high first round pick.

Matt Ryan, Falcons

If you’re Matt Ryan, you probably walked into 2021 with some mixed feelings. The best receiver you’ve ever played with was dealt for a second-round pick. He was replaced by Kyle Pitts, a tight end with receiver versatility, at the No. 4 slot. You’ll be coached by Arthur Smith, the former Titans offensive coordinator who brings with him a deep knowledge of the system that last brought you to the Super Bowl.

In the best-case scenario, the Falcons can pick up where 2017 left off and go on a bit of a run, leading Ryan to believe there is immediate upside and this is the perfect place to finish his career. If Smith struggles as a head coach, Ryan could get a firsthand look at what he doesn’t want, and hand the Falcons’ management a tutorial on how to make $40 million in dead money disappear. While the market for Ryan may not be what it was a year ago, there would still be a handful of teams in a better position to win games—Washington, Eagles, Giants, Steelers—that could offer him a unique end-of-career situation. Although Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers are probably out of the realm of possibility now thanks to the Trey Lance selection, Ryan has a lot of fans in the league, and a quick-processing quarterback with good arm strength still stands out on the market.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Normally yes.  Normally I'd say since Leno and Lucas are FA's, that Neal in the 1st is a BPA that fits a Need.  But I think with Heinicke, it's showing that the group of OT's we have are combining for some pretty good play.

I don't think the LT position on our draft board should get any weighted boost.  If it's fair and even BPA, fine.  But weighted?  Nah.

Listening to Keim just now, he thinks they will likely be aggressive in the off season for QB.  That's obviously no revelation.  Not sure if its for a veteran or rookie but he said they are very very aware of the need.  He said in that building Marty Hurney is the one who fancies himself the QB guru there and loves scouting the spot.  He was the one who drafted Cam.  And supposedly he said Hurney was a big Herbert guy but wasn't with the WFT at the time. 

The good thing is, a lot of the teams that appear to be bad this year have rookie QBs that are just not ready quite yet. 

As far as this year's crop of QBs go, I like Willis if we let him play his style. I just don't trust this team to say "you play your way and we'll build an offense around you because you're special." 

Other than him it just seems like there are QBs that will be overdrafted. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

48 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The good thing is, a lot of the teams that appear to be bad this year have rookie QBs that are just not ready quite yet. 

As far as this year's crop of QBs go, I like Willis if we let him play his style. I just don't trust this team to say "you play your way and we'll build an offense around you because you're special." 

Other than him it just seems like there are QBs that will be overdrafted. 

I would.  Cam was one of the first dudes I can recall where they adopted the college offense to the NFL offense being run from the jump.   They did heavy RO before Shanny made it cool in 2012.   The same dude who drafted Cam is here and ditto the same HC.  This isn't Jay's offense where he wanted it seem to fit it to his system and wasn't a fan of the RO. 

I like Malik from the one game where I watched him.  Speaking of Cam, like him, I think with Malik you go heavy RO-RPO.  Elite runner right now from what I saw.

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008-2018-nfp-archive/inside-the-playbook/breaking-down-cam-newton-and-the-read-option/

BREAKING DOWN CAM NEWTON AND THE 'READ OPTION'

Click here for the entire Inside the Playbook series.

One of the keys to the production from Cam Newton is the offensive system the Panthers run on Sundays. Adapt the play calling and game plan to match the skill set of the rookie QB. And that's why we see multiple personnel groupings, formation alignments and concepts taken from the spread system.

On Sunday, in the win over the Redskins, the Panthers used the “read option” to get Newton into the open field for a TD. Similar to what we saw with the QB back at Auburn last season.

Today, let’s look at the “read option” at Auburn and in Carolina—because the spread concept can be a solid call moving forward in the Panthers’ playbook. Two quick breakdowns to check out.

• Like 2

What do people think of Nick Cross the safety from the University of Maryland?  I am guessing he'll go in the second round which is where we may looking to draft a safety.   He is 6'1 215 pounds and can probably play either safety spot.   He was the number 1 HS football prospect in the state of Maryland in 2019 (4 ranked Safety, 55 overall player) and he has lived up to the hype.  In 2019 as a true freshman he took over the starting spot at the free safety starting the last five games and had 45 tackles and two interceptions.  In his sophomore year which was shorted due to covid 19 he played in 4 games and had 23 tackles.  In the first five games of his junior year so far he has two interceptions so far.

My impression of him is he athletic (even by NFL standards), plays the ball well, is generally disciplined in coverage, though sometimes he loses his key (he let an Ohio St receiver run by him for a TD because he was trying to read the Ohio St QB's eyes to jump a shorter route last week).   He is solid is run support but not elite.  The thing that will make NFL scouts look at him is his athleticism.   Ran 10.7 100 meters in HS at 6'1 and 205 pounds.  Now he is up to 215 pounds but he is probably going to run about a 4.4 forty yard dash.

Comparing him to three couple other recent safety prospects (Sean Davis, Darnell Savage, Josh Woods) from UMD, I would say:

Pass Coverage:
He is the best of the three playing center field in a cover 1.  His speed lets him coverage a lot of ground.   He also has the size and physicality to cover TE's.   On the other hand he is less versatile in coverage than Savage and Davis.   Both of them were probably better than Cross in man to man coverage when covering smaller shifter players and could play more coverages well  than Cross.  Savage was particularly versatile in coverage as he started out at UMD as a corner though Savage lacked the straightline speed of Cross.

Run Support:

Cross is probably the best of the four.   I wouldn't say he is elite run support guy, he is not, but he is pretty solid.

Sean Davis went in the second round to the Steelers, Savage the first round to the Packers, and Josh Woods was undrafted to the Bears, but they converted him into a LB and he has made a 53 man roster 3 years in a row).  If I was ranking them I would probably take Savage first, then Cross, though Cross's speed may entice support NFL GM to take him higher than anticipated.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm not impressed by our 2021 draft class at all. Zero impact from everyone besides Cosmi, who just appears to be solid at his position. 

I always see the same problem with this team, players rarely put it together consistently from one year to the next. 

The free agency class looks far worse.  As of now, Leno was our only good signing and all of the others were complete busts.

Hopefully Samuel turns it around though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The free agency class looks far worse.  As of now, Leno was our only good signing and all of the others were complete busts.

Yeah, expectations were high for William Jackson and Curtis Samuel.  Same with Bobby McCain though the expectations were not quite  as high with him.  Some of the low key signings like Ricky Seal-Jones and Deandre Carter look okay.

Wow that is super small hands

Winners

Pitt QB Kenny Pickett

Let’s get this part out of the way: Pickett’s 8 1/4-inch hands are going to be an issue for some teams. Not all teams, but some. It surely will cause internal debate with a few clubs. If you'll notice, he wears two gloves when he plays, just like another smaller-handed QB, Teddy Bridgewater.

Then again, 8 1/4 inches are about as small as we can recall. Nine is a common floor for some teams worried about ball security, especially for worse-weather franchises.

But Pickett is doing everything you could ask and more — albeit vs. a subpar schedule to date — as perhaps the most unexpected senior riser this college football season. He is completing 72% of his passes, with a 19-1 TD-INT ratio. Even vs. a few cupcakes, it’s an improved performance.

Pickett might be the most improved quarterback in the country. His arm strength looks vastly different over the past two years, and now he has pushed himself into the Day 2 discussion (with his eyes on Round 1) after entering the year with mostly early- and mid-Day 3 grades.

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral

The loss to Bama was a bummer, but hardly a draft-stock killer. He fumbled once and didn't generate a lot of big plays early in the game. There’s little shame or stigma attached to that. Kyler Murray had a pretty uneven game vs. Bama in his final college outing and still went No. 1 overall.

Corral has been fantastic outside of the Alabama defeat. He has four straight quality SEC matchups coming up and also has a terrific showdown with Liberty’s Malik Willis on Nov. 4. In a year when there might not be a head-and-shoulders QB1, Corral has put himself in a position to be considered as the first passer drafted if he keeps rolling.

Liberty QB Malik Willis

The hype train for Willis was strong this offseason, and yet there were real concerns among evaluators about needing to cut down on ball-handling errors and how he might improve his timing and ball placement.

To date, Willis has answered the call. He has been spectacular outside of a late fumble in the loss at Syracuse, his surprising three-pick game last week against Middle Tennessee State and a propensity to take too many hits and sacks.

Along with that comes these skills: terrific arm talent plus tremendous scrambling ability. Willis is incredibly hard to defend, and some creative NFL minds who are willing to revamp their offense to suit his skills could be handsomely rewarded.

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

McCain was an afterthought signing who became available after FA. They chose to ignore the position, with the exception of a 5th rounder.

In one sense I give them an out by that you don't have the picks and cap room to fill every weakness in each off season.  But as an organization, its been really pathetic.  Who was the last above average FS?  Has to be Sean Taylor and that was forever ago.  It's been scrubs for the most part since.  Ditto at Mike post London Fletcher.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They didn't sign too many guys.  Leno is a big hit, getting an above average LT on the cheap isn't easy.  The Flowers trade looks good, too.

Will see as for the others. DeAndre Carter seems to have some hype from the coaches, ditto Seals-Jones.  They might end up like Mckissic as cheap good signings.   Humphries has been OK, i like to see more, will see, but they paid him peanuts. 

I never the blame the coaching staff for an injury unless the player is often injured.  So they get a pass from me for Samuel.

Jackson I think has been average at best.  Overpaid for his production.  Hopefully he rebounds.  He's the big miss so far IMO considering what he was paid.   They paid McCain peanuts, he was released by Miami, he's been "meh".  Reyes, will see, showed some potential.  Cheap, too. 

As for the draft, I like to let it play out at least 2 years so 5 games to me seems a bit too soon.  I think some of the guys they drafted have shown flashes.  Biggest dissapointment to me was Dyami who looked good in camp but thus far "meh" during the season.  Jamin has started slow but I expected that.  Cosmi looks great.  St. Juste has shown some flashes. I like the flashes I've seen from Milne.    TBD IMO.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow that is super small hands

Winners

Pitt QB Kenny Pickett

Let’s get this part out of the way: Pickett’s 8 1/4-inch hands are going to be an issue for some teams. Not all teams, but some. It surely will cause internal debate with a few clubs. If you'll notice, he wears two gloves when he plays, just like another smaller-handed QB, Teddy Bridgewater.

Then again, 8 1/4 inches are about as small as we can recall. Nine is a common floor for some teams worried about ball security, especially for worse-weather franchises.

But Pickett is doing everything you could ask and more — albeit vs. a subpar schedule to date — as perhaps the most unexpected senior riser this college football season. He is completing 72% of his passes, with a 19-1 TD-INT ratio. Even vs. a few cupcakes, it’s an improved performance.

Pickett might be the most improved quarterback in the country. His arm strength looks vastly different over the past two years, and now he has pushed himself into the Day 2 discussion (with his eyes on Round 1) after entering the year with mostly early- and mid-Day 3 grades.

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral

The loss to Bama was a bummer, but hardly a draft-stock killer. He fumbled once and didn't generate a lot of big plays early in the game. There’s little shame or stigma attached to that. Kyler Murray had a pretty uneven game vs. Bama in his final college outing and still went No. 1 overall.

Corral has been fantastic outside of the Alabama defeat. He has four straight quality SEC matchups coming up and also has a terrific showdown with Liberty’s Malik Willis on Nov. 4. In a year when there might not be a head-and-shoulders QB1, Corral has put himself in a position to be considered as the first passer drafted if he keeps rolling.

Liberty QB Malik Willis

The hype train for Willis was strong this offseason, and yet there were real concerns among evaluators about needing to cut down on ball-handling errors and how he might improve his timing and ball placement.

To date, Willis has answered the call. He has been spectacular outside of a late fumble in the loss at Syracuse, his surprising three-pick game last week against Middle Tennessee State and a propensity to take too many hits and sacks.

Along with that comes these skills: terrific arm talent plus tremendous scrambling ability. Willis is incredibly hard to defend, and some creative NFL minds who are willing to revamp their offense to suit his skills could be handsomely rewarded.

In one sense I give them an out by that you don't have the picks and cap room to fill every weakness in each off season.  But as an organization, its been really pathetic.  Who was the last above average FS?  Has to be Sean Taylor and that was forever ago.  It's been scrubs for the most part since.  Ditto at Mike post London Fletcher.  

We had plenty of cap space to aggressively go after Harris or Kearse or even Hooker. I know 3 safeties got tagged, but several other decent options signed one year deals, while we slept on the position again. 

57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We had plenty of cap space to aggressively go after Harris or Kearse or even Hooker. I know 3 safeties got tagged, but several other decent options signed one year deals, while we slept on the position again. 

I am sssuming they didn't like those players especially considering how cheap players like Harris was.  I haven't watched him, PFF has him in the 40s for his coverage this year.   Hooker isn't playing hot.  Kearse is playing well.

My point is I can't think of a team that addresses every spot in an off season.  They were aggressive at trying to fill other spots.   I'll forgive this past off season for not hitting FS, the same way I'll forgive QB.  But I won't after this coming off season.  I'd be shocked if they aren't aggressive.  But will see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching for Ridder, but tough to ignore Ford.  Monster game. Good season, too.  He's a bit lanky so I wonder about injuries down the road.  But really good contact balance, skinny in the hole, really good patience as a runner. 

Yeah Ridder didn't really do all that much of note. 140 yards with 1 TD pass in a 56 point game for your offense? That game was all Ford. Almost 200 yards and 4 TDs. Yeow.

I really do like Ridder's tools, but as you've noted as well, his accuracy is really spotty and he's hit or miss usually. 

• Like 1