Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: Joe Biden's gender discrimination order offers hope for young trans athletes - Discussion Thread

TD_washingtonredskins

While in 6th grade, I played the role of Tiny Tim which me and another girl auditioned for. Th reason they wanted a small girl was because the guy playing the father had to carry Tiny Tim. The father part went to the biggest boy in our class. The other girl and I were the smallest people in our class.

The kid at issue here isn't in sports, it's theater. I don't have an issue with it. It's supposed to be fun, not competitive. 

• Thumb up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Article from Dallas Morning News with more info. 

He wasn't cast for "the lead". (I was looking for "can he sing 'Oklahoma!' better than anybody else?")  In fact, he was cast as Ali Hakim, a part I've never heard of. 

There's some interesting quotes in the article. For example, the school is now claiming that Oklahoma! is too adult or controversial for High School:  

The district released a statement this week saying the production of Oklahoma! contains mature adult themes, profane language and sexual content. 

Maybe replace it with The Music Man? "Well, you got trouble my friend. Right here in River City."

On 11/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Article from Dallas Morning News with more info. 

He wasn't cast for "the lead". (I was looking for "can he sing 'Oklahoma!' better than anybody else?")  In fact, he was cast as Ali Hakim, a part I've never heard of. 

There's some interesting quotes in the article. For example, the school is now claiming that Oklahoma! is too adult or controversial for High School:  

The district released a statement this week saying the production of Oklahoma! contains mature adult themes, profane language and sexual content. 

Maybe replace it with The Music Man? "Well, you got trouble my friend. Right here in River City."

• Thumb down 1

• 1 month later...

Part of me can understand that position. The idea that if you're a minor, you can do most of the transition. But you have to be 18 for the surgery. 

Yes, it's possible there's some medical reason why they have to allow the surgery earlier. Just speaking an uninformed opinion. 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Part of me can understand that position. The idea that if you're a minor, you can do most of the transition. But you have to be 18 for the surgery. 

Yes, it's possible there's some medical reason why they have to allow the surgery earlier. Just speaking an uninformed opinion. 

I tend to agree with this. But when determining where the line is, I'll listen to the doctor over the politician.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

A state rule is also being proposed that would create significant restrictions on care for all ages. A multidisciplinary team would be required for all gender-affirming care — including at least an endocrinologist, bioethicist, and psychiatrist. A “comprehensive care plan,” with informed consent about “risks,” and extensive mental health counseling also would be required under the rule. “It needs to be lengthy and it needs to be comprehensive,” he said.  Another proposed rule would require aggregate, non-identifiable data collection for all gender-affirming care for people of all ages.

https://substack.com/profile/2269625-chris-geidner/note/c-46679404

He also added rules for adults which seems to just be restrictive just because.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-transyouth-data/

Reuters showing that 282 13-17 year olds had top surgery in 2021. How many kids is this really affecting in Ohio? Leave it to the families and doctors.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So now they want people who APPEAR to be the opposite gender to go into the bathroom that doesn't correlate with how they look? That somehow makes people more comfortable?

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of these laws. 

They're about being mean to people who are weird. 

And about trying to make it look like bigotry is justified. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...