Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Given our defense is in year 2 of JDR, we have much better QB security and play, add in the free agent signings and draft picks we pick up and I see at least 10 wins and likely 11 or 12 in a very weak NFC East. If healthy we are a SB contender in the NFC...Fitz is not gonna waste this opportunity.

Not only is it a year in the scheme, but think how many players relied upon were 1st or 2nd year players. Just general growth makes this team better let alone new pieces. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pretty wild he returns with a paycut.

His cap hit was like 1 mill last year.  They must mean he just left bigger offers on the table.

edit: 8mill, that makes more sense.

Edited by jsharrin55

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like there is a chance Kerrigan returns here cheapish if he doesn't get a decent offer.

I hear nothing on Ryan Anderson as for a market for him thus far unless I missed something.

Anthony Harris , has there been anything at all about him?

• ProFootballTalk's Mike Floria reports Kenny Golladay wants $18.5 million per year. 

The Bears -- who reportedly offered the free agent wideout somewhere around $12 million -- were woefully short of Golladay's asking price. The $18.5 million is hardly an outrageous demand for an established receiver like Golladay, who remains likely to sign a short-term deal. The Ravens on Friday joined the mix of teams vying for Golladay's services in 2021. 

Mar 19, 2021, 12:35 PM ET
  • One year deal for 14mil.. get it done WTF!  

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Man, two LBs I wanted to go after ... Walker and McMillan sign one year deals in CLE and NE respectively.

LB Market is drying up.

They're both really bad in coverage though, NFL teams are putting a heavy emphasis on LBers that are good in coverage, you can see it in these contracts these guys are getting. Walker for example racks up a good amount of tackles but he's still valued so low because he isn't good in space or coverage apparently. 

Makes someone like JOK or Zaven Collins super valuable in the draft. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Washington Football Team signs LB David Mayo, OL Tyler Larsen (riggosrag.com)

Mayo played with the New York Giants the last two years and he averaged 75 tackles, one pass defense, and a forced fumble per 16 games with them. He started in 15 of the 27 games he appeared in and while he’s probably best as a top backup, he can serve as a spot starter if needed.

Mayo is just 27 years old, so he still may have some untapped potential. He played under Ron Rivera for four seasons after being drafted in the fifth round out of Texas State, so he should be familiar with Rivera’s system. Perhaps Jack Del Rio will get more out of him, but even if not, Mayo is a good and likely-cheap free-agent pickup at the linebacker spot.

As for Larsen, he has spent the last five seasons with the Panthers as a backup on the interior offensive line. He was added just to continue to build up depth along that unit. Larsen is 6-foot-4, 325 pounds and has appeared in 68 games during his career. He hasn’t started since 2018, but he has proven to be a solid backup.

Larsen will get a chance to push Keith Ismael for the backup center spot and will probably compete with Wes Martin for a roster spot. This isn’t a major signing, but it’s one that improves the team’s depth and adds an experienced player on the cheap.

We’ll soon see what Mayo and Larsen can do, but each should have a chance to make the 53-man roster if all goes well. Mayo is probably the better bet to make the team, solely because he was a decent starter for the Giants in 2019 before being relegated to backup duty in 2020, but Washington probably isn’t investing too much in these guys.

LB situation a bit weird, TBH.

Rivera must have some real comfort with the options on the team, because seeing someone like Anthony Walker sign a 1 year $3.5m deal seems strange. I would think WFT would be a top place for a guy to do a one year deal ... and we were "monitoring" McMillian apparently.

So why aren't we throwing our hat in on any of these 1 year fliers?

My sense is that we are probably gearing up to run predominantly 4-2-5 defense ... we have the personnel (save a FS but that naturally develops later in FA) ... except for a MLB.

Bostic is fine there for now. He;s who we had last year, so there's a comfort level there.

My guess is Ron has a couple targets in the draft he plans to bring in to play alongside primarily Holcomn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Rivera must have some real comfort with the options on the team, because seeing someone like Anthony Walker sign a 1 year $3.5m deal seems strange. I would think WFT would be a top place for a guy to do a one year deal ... and we were "monitoring" McMillian apparently.

My sense is that we are probably gearing up to run predominantly 4-2-5 defense ... we have the personnel (save a FS but that naturally develops later in FA) ... except for a MLB.

Bostic is fine there for now. He;s who we had last year, so there's a comfort level there.

My guess is Ron has a couple targets in the draft he plans to bring in to play alongside primarily Holcomn.

Agreed, regarding like some guys in the draft and preferring to go that route.  They may have missed out on an earlier target, but it seems they like their options in the draft over what is remaining on FA market.  Safe to say it's not a case of RR being satisfied with what is currently in house. I'd be willing to bet they like zaven, and feel confident he will be there at 19.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The Steelers may be trying to create cap space to bring JuJu back, given his market hasn’t really taken off.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pretty wild he returns with a paycut.

I seriously did not know that was coming :headbang:

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Man, two LBs I wanted to go after ... Walker and McMillan sign one year deals in CLE and NE respectively.

LB Market is drying up.

I think in reality they would both be very marginal upgrades. May as well go the draft route.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I've mentioned Walker before.  But I think KJ Wright, Eric Wilson, Goodson are all better.  So maybe they got an eye on one of them.  Wright IMO is the best prize left at that spot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3