Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I am sure Rivera can diciper things without Brady's comments.  Yet it wouldn't surprise me if Rivera read Brady's comments about our secondary.  Brady is probably the most astute reader of defenses in the history of the game.  So if he concluded that this secondary is suspect when not aided by our fierce pass rush, then there likely was something to it.  The fact that they picked on Darby might have been telliing, too.   Darby was one of the key issues when they got carved up by Tampa. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Something that I think we should all expect to play out ... lots of 1 year prove-it deals like Morrow got in LV ($5m this year) to hit the market again next year.

What I think could be impactful ... this defense is stacked. And a LB and FS might choose us over someone else even for less money knowing what playing in this defense can/will do for their stock in 2022.

• Like 2

My commentary here: We are going to see almost every deal structured this way. It's how we structured Landon Collins as well. $4m hit in year 1 ... $14/15/16/16 in each following year.

It makes sense, especially with a rising cap, and for a team that has lots of $$ in future years and few big contracts. I also wouldn't be shocked if Jackson/Collins aren't around in 2023 and 2024 when you start paying the DL. I wouldn't worry much about the future push out of that $$ ... and focus on what we can do with our money this year.

Also, next year, if we sign someone to a similarly structured deal, the money pushes out into future years, and if you do that every year, you're just kind of doing what most teams do, which is push out and cut players when they're no longer worth that money. Smart management.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting timing when on his deal :

Remaining $7.5M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/21/2021 (full $12.5M guaranteed for injury)

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go.

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Now imagine adding Anthony Walker at LB and Tre Boston or Malik Hooker at FS. Draft another LB (Jabril Cox?) at 51 ... it's probably the #1 defense in the NFL.

Cox is my favorite LB in this draft as he already played MLB in this scheme. 

Just making some guesses as to the mindset of the FO regarding draft and FA.

I think the WFT is happy with the value they are getting from Lucas at LT in 2021 and while they certainly will be looking to upgrade at some point, this buys them some time to pick more a developmental tackle in the middle rounds that they can groom for 2022, as opposed to a day one starter in the 1st or a big name FA.  I just dont see them drafting tackle in the 1st and sitting lucas when they have him on a bargain deal and his play was surprisingly decent. 

2. I think its possible that the WFT has a player targeted with that first round pick that they think will most likely be there, and thus they can avoid having to fill that position with a big name FA.  RIvera stated that they want to fill all their holes in FA so they can draft BPA and I think they are doing that, but at the same time there might be one position they might be able to skimp a little bit on knowing they are probably going to get their guy in the draft.

My best guess and hope is that they are targeting zaven collins in the first and that they might feel safe enough with this pick to forgo a big FA signing here.  I still think they will look for some FA LB's on value deals but maybe not what we were hoping for.

The reason I think this is likely is because Zaven is such a great fit with this defense. We have incredible length, speed and athleticism on either side of the front 7 with Sweat and Young, having a 6-4 260 pound centerpiece to that combo is going to put a lot of pressure on QB's to find throwing lanes and will help stuff the runs up the middle that have plagued us.  Zaven might not be an elite run stuffer but his size is going to make him tough to push around at the point of attack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Remaining $7.5M of 2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/21/2021 (full $12.5M guaranteed for injury)

Wonder if the injury complicates it as for the terms of the deal?

Just now, UK Skins said:

Why does he say Lamar Miller is going back to the WFT? When did he play for us? I don't remember the name.

Street FA late last year

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if the injury complicates it as for the terms of the deal?

You’d probably have to pay him the 12.5mil, which I’m sure we are going to, then eat that by cutting him. 

Post 1 June spreads the pain, creates a good chunk of space in 2021 if we want it.

His deal just gets uglier by the year, so maybe you just stomach it for a year.

But cutting him as a June 1 it likely gets you the space to get Harris in at FS....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

He should be, serious cash for practically 0 production

I’d cut him June 1 00:01

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth...

• Like 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Unless we think Jeremy Reeves is the long term answer we need to go hard after FS as well.

He graded out really well per PFF. i know it isn't a perfect metric, but he played well. And again, I THINK that is a big product of our Front 4. It's why I think we can get away with lesser talent there and still get solid results. Not saying we shouldnt look to upgrade, but if they think Reaves is a long term solution there, it probably solidifies the Hooker/Boston 1-year route.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Unless we think Jeremy Reeves is the long term answer we need to go hard after FS as well.

I doubt we’d go hard in a financial sense, with Jackson signing that’s a fair amount of cash tied up at corner

With Kam Curl coming through we’d be better served picking up a cheaper Vet and pummelling some cash into the offense

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He graded out really well per PFF. i know it isn't a perfect metric, but he played well. And again, I THINK that is a big product of our Front 4. It's why I think we can get away with lesser talent there and still get solid results. Not saying we shouldnt look to upgrade, but if they think Reaves is a long term solution there, it probably solidifies the Hooker/Boston 1-year route.

He played well for sure but is it sustainable? Remember Chris Horton? The league is filled with unheralded guys who flash for a year but then get figured out. I think Kam Curl is legit but I'm not sure about Reeves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You’d probably have to pay him the 12.5mil, which I’m sure we are going to, then eat that by cutting him. 

Post 1 June spreads the pain, creates a good chunk of space in 2021 if we want it.

His deal just gets uglier by the year, so maybe you just stomach it for a year.

But cutting him as a June 1 it likely gets you the space to get Harris in at FS....

Wonder how Dan would feel about it.  That seemed to be his pet FA get.  The whole wooing by him including giving him the Sean Taylor jersey. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

He played well for sure but is it sustainable? Remember Chris Horton? The league is filled with unheralded guys who flash for a year but then get figured out. I think Kam Curl is legit but I'm not sure about Reeves.

Which is why I think a 1 year prove-it type deal (or a vet deal with Boston) would make sense. Buys a year to figure it out, which adding depth and talent to the equation.