Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't want to spend anything really in FA, unless it's knocking picks out of the park. Like David would be fantastic and run our defense for years, making a strength even stronger.

At FS, I really want Maye, but I think he's getting tagged. Williams would be a great FS to pick up too, but otherwise Simmons and Harris would be my goal. I'd rather stick with Trap and Reaves than sign Neil or Tartt. Although Hooker is intriguing. I'd definitely do a prove it for him, but it's boom or bust on these guys. 

I think either go for the high priced, proven vet or the under the radar, might be ready to break out, cheaper guys coming off rookie contracts.

I’d avoid the desire to spend up to the cap (minus rookie contracts of course), or spending significant money on guys that just had their best year in a contract year, especially ones with injury concerns.  I’m not sure a Corey Davis type makes sense, and frankly, I’m becoming less and less sure that re-signing Darby is prudent (I was previously big in the re-sign camp).  I’m willing to roll the dice to an extent because we’ve seen how he fits, but I’d be leery about 8+ mil.  

23 minutes ago, chaaarmndr said:

Aside from Mclaurin, name a better receiver than Crowder that has been drafted by the Redskins in the past 10 years?

Not exactly saying much though, is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, chaaarmndr said:

Aside from Mclaurin, name a better receiver than Crowder that has been drafted by the Redskins in the past 10 years?

I mean when you're comparing him to:

Josh Doctson

Antonio Golden Gandy

Trey Quinn

Robert Davis

Evan Spencer

Ryan Grant

Leonard Hankerson 

Aldrick Robinson

Then yes, Jamison Crowder is Jerry Rice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

This may be worth monitoring. We obviously don't NEED an IDL, but with some cap space, if we did opt to trade either Allen or Payne, Short could be a rotational short-term solution given his ties to the FO and Rivera. That said, I don't know if this one is all that likely given even with a trade of an IDL we still have 3 starting-caliber IDLs behind that person.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:
This may be worth monitoring. We obviously don't NEED an IDL, but with some cap space, if we did opt to trade either Allen or Payne, Short could be a rotational short-term solution given his ties to the FO and Rivera. That said, I don't know if this one is all that likely given even with a trade of an IDL we still have 3 starting-caliber IDLs behind that person.

Don't forget, we have Caleb Brantley, who opted out in 2020

• Like 3

Personally I think we are fine at RB with Gibson-McKissic-Barber-Love ... but if we really are interested in some FA RBs as rumored I would be curious to see who/what we end up going with.

Gibson should be given a shot at being a bell-cow, so I'm not sure I understand going after an Aaron Jones. Maybe a Chris Carson as a change-of-pace guy on a lower contract value? But just seems kind of an odd area to address given the relative value of getting a back on a rookie contract combined with who we already have in the RB room.

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Personally I think we are fine at RB with Gibson-McKissic-Barber-Love ... but if we really are interested in some FA RBs as rumored I would be curious to see who/what we end up going with.

Gibson should be given a shot at being a bell-cow, so I'm not sure I understand going after an Aaron Jones. Maybe a Chris Carson as a change-of-pace guy on a lower contract value? But just seems kind of an odd area to address given the relative value of getting a back on a rookie contract combined with who we already have in the RB room.

May as well go for Carlos Hyde. Everyone else has.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Love is completely useless.  Barber is awful and needs to be cut.

If the price is right, Mark Ingram would be a nice uplevel to Barber's role.  Not sure how much interest he'll find on the market but for a vet min deal, sign him up.

Overall I agree, Gibson and McKissic shouldn't be messed with.  Expand Gibson role, continue to emphasize McKissick in the passing game. I'd look to upgrade that grinder role but it's not a huge need and should be dealt with in a cost effective fashion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaaarmndr said:

In the slot, we just need a guy with better hands than Sims Jr.  Sims Jr is a good route runner but has no hands. Crowder is a good route runner with hands. We really don't need a number one here in the slot, we need a guy who can put heavy conflict on the guy who gives deep help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed. Be aggressive at couple key players then step back.

There will be plenty more FA's available due to cuts.

The market will cool a little then fill more holes. Some players will be in the 2nd or 3rd tier guys or on one year deals. Play smart not the Vinny way

Depends on what we do at QB.  If we give up significant draft resources, we will need to make up for that loss.

8 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

In the slot, we just need a guy with better hands than Sims Jr.  Sims Jr is a good route runner but has no hands. Crowder is a good route runner with hands. We really don't need a number one here in the slot, we need a guy who can put heavy conflict on the guy who gives deep help.

Not interested in a Crowder reunion. I would love to replace Steven Sims with D'Wayne Eskridge this off-season. 

11 hours ago, chaaarmndr said:

You purposely set the parameters up so I couldn't include Malcomb. Very sneaky, but I'm on to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Love is completely useless.  Barber is awful and needs to be cut.

If the price is right, Mark Ingram would be a nice uplevel to Barber's role.  Not sure how much interest he'll find on the market but for a vet min deal, sign him up.

Overall I agree, Gibson and McKissic shouldn't be messed with.  Expand Gibson role, continue to emphasize McKissick in the passing game. I'd look to upgrade that grinder role but it's not a huge need and should be dealt with in a cost effective fashion.

I gotta say, I’m sort of all over the place on the rb position.  I don’t think we need a major upgrade there, and I’d in particular avoid FA.  

If we start talking about the draft though?  Najee and Etienne would probably be major adds to our offense.  Let’s Gibson slim down, as he has said he planned to do, and become more of a weapon - still getting a fair amount of runs and while expanding his role in the pass game.  On the other hand, there are other positions we could use in the range we’d have to spend picks on those two backs, and there’s a pretty fair chance at finding a back later in the draft that can act as that supplement to (and insurance for) Gibson.  Part of me believes 2 back sets are an underutilized part of the game today as they can mess with defensive personnel groupings.  In a case like ours, with a bunch of no name receivers after McLaurin, it can be especially helpful (which makes Najee/Etienne that much more appealing).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Jesus h gods it's a no brainer to lock scherff down...just do it damn it. 

Curious to see what his deal ends up being. He made $15m on the franchise tag. But I didn't realize that they had lumped IOL in with OT. That raised the bar a bit ... the highest OG contract I guess is around $14m. So I think $14-15m a year ... giving him the highest OG contract is fair. Hope they nail it down.

PFF updated their Top 50 Free Agent projections. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-landing-spots-pffs-top-50-free-agents

WFT projections:

RG Scherff on a 4 year, $60m extension

OT Okung on a 3 year, $50m deal

QB Newton on a 1 year, $5m deal

They have Curtis Samuel signing with NYG for 3 years and $28m, Corey Davis on 3 years, $27m with Baltimore

Most of the other big-name guys are tagged or extended in-house. They admit the Okung signing would be very risky given age and recent performance but cite Marty Hurney being the guy who traded for him in Carolina.

Gotta think if we sign any OT from Carolina because of Hurney, it would be Taylor Moton (who they have signing a 5 year, $82m deal with Carolina).

Either way, no way we pay Okung $16m for 3 years when we have Lucas on a $2m deal in 2021.

Also said Newton would be brought in as a veteran to compete with Heinecke for the starting job.

10 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I gotta say, I’m sort of all over the place on the rb position.  I don’t think we need a major upgrade there, and I’d in particular avoid FA.  

If we start talking about the draft though?  Najee and Etienne would probably be major adds to our offense.  Let’s Gibson slim down, as he has said he planned to do, and become more of a weapon - still getting a fair amount of runs and while expanding his role in the pass game.  On the other hand, there are other positions we could use in the range we’d have to spend picks on those two backs, and there’s a pretty fair chance at finding a back later in the draft that can act as that supplement to (and insurance for) Gibson.  Part of me believes 2 back sets are an underutilized part of the game today as they can mess with defensive personnel groupings.  In a case like ours, with a bunch of no name receivers after McLaurin, it can be especially helpful (which makes Najee/Etienne that much more appealing).

Yeah fortunately Gibson looked every bit the part and McKissic should be a nice compliment for a year or two, so its not pressing.  The only headliner backs I actually like in this draft are Harris and Javonte Williams, but both will be pricey and I think our assets would be used better elsewhere.

Etienne and Hubbard really don't interest me at all.  Too straight line and don't add much we don't already have at the position.  We need a grinder who can spell Gibson and spot start if he gets nicked.  Maybe they can find that further down in the draft, I've only really looked at the top prospects, but a cheap veteran signing would be fine for that role too.

Gibson was very impressive though.  He is "THE running back y'all"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

PFF updated their Top 50 Free Agent projections. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-landing-spots-pffs-top-50-free-agents

WFT projections:

... no way we pay Okung $16m for 3 years when we have Lucas on a $2m deal in 2021.

Also said Newton would be brought in as a veteran to compete with Heinecke for the starting job.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that Okung deal. 

I guess I'd be fine with Cam if Ron wants him here. I don't think there's much in the tank. When i think of Cam, I typically think of his outlandish outfits and superman pose. Does he have a good reputation for team leadership? I can't recall. I'd almost rather roll with Fitzpatrick as competition/backup if we're talking one year deals. 

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Yeah fortunately Gibson looked every bit the part and McKissic should be a nice compliment for a year or two, so its not pressing.  The only headliner backs I actually like in this draft are Harris and Javonte Williams, but both will be pricey and I think our assets would be used better elsewhere.

Etienne and Hubbard really don't interest me at all.  Too straight line and don't add much we don't already have at the position.  We need a grinder who can spell Gibson and spot start if he gets nicked.  Maybe they can find that further down in the draft, I've only really looked at the top prospects, but a cheap veteran signing would be fine for that role too.

Gibson was very impressive though.  He is "THE running back y'all"

Yeah, this is where I'm at. 

I would love to get Harris, but I'd much rather we focus on other needs or trade down. 

I really like JWilliams as a complimentary piece. That could certainly happen in the 2nd, but I'd rather we burn that pick if we managed to trade back for additional 2nds and/or 3rds. 

I've seen Sermon projected to go in several different rounds, and I feel like he might be a good get. Is he injury-prone? 

I'm warming up to the idea of Ingram as the backup and just an overall veteran presence in the locker room. He was a great leader for Baltimore the last few years. He's no longer a lead back, but he's a good leader IMO. Definitely an upgrade over Barber. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at. 

I would love to get Harris, but I'd much rather we focus on other needs or trade down. 

I really like JWilliams as a complimentary piece. That could certainly happen in the 2nd, but I'd rather we burn that pick if we managed to trade back for additional 2nds and/or 3rds. 

I've seen Sermon projected to go in several different rounds, and I feel like he might be a good get. Is he injury-prone? 

I'm warming up to the idea of Ingram as the backup and just an overall veteran presence in the locker room. He was a great leader for Baltimore the last few years. He's no longer a lead back, but he's a good leader IMO. Definitely an upgrade over Barber. 

I haven't looked at Sermon very closely yet but he was awesome in the Clemson game.  If that's who he really is, he'd fill the role nicely.

If Ingram is cheap though, that's my guy for the reasons you outlined.  Teammates love him, great locker room presence, been on winning teams and in playoff games.  I think he still has tread on the tires too.  Just depends on price but I'd be a buyer at $2-3 M.  Really not sure how his market shapes up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

WFT projections:

PFF expects us to sign Newton? I think I can toss out any predictions PFF makes for the rest of free agency lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Curious to see what his deal ends up being. He made $15m on the franchise tag. But I didn't realize that they had lumped IOL in with OT. That raised the bar a bit ... the highest OG contract I guess is around $14m. So I think $14-15m a year ... giving him the highest OG contract is fair. Hope they nail it down.

I'm sorry I try reading and understanding your comment but all I think about are plays like the ones posted above..how he's a team man not in the news and just puts his nose to the grindstone and goes to work and does his job..I'll leave the stressing of rather hes making to much and what his pay compares to others up to y'all. 

• Like 1