Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reflections on a crazy 2020 NFL Season

petey hodge

Despite the historically apocalyptic start by the NFC East teams this year... we survived the many ups and downs, through the face of adversity, distractions, strippers, coronavirus, medically rebuilt calves, entitled 6-10 teams, Nate Sudefed, and through all that...  We may have found a QB who can efficiently lead the offense with a gunslingers mentality.

Though we lost against the Bucs, we now have...

tumblr_oigx1a66yC1uxb6ajo5_r1_540.gifv

I'm sure you'll have your favorite memories of 2020 to add to this thread.

But until then... throughout all of the work-from-home restrictions of 2020, I've followed each game a little bit closer this year.

I just wanted to say....

8o7uPoZ.gif

And now comes the long offseason, and many of us will disperse for a few months.

The foundation looks solid.  Our coaching staff is as solid as it's ever been.  Snyder may actually just back TF off now.  And our competitors in the NFC are heading in wrong directions. 

We could be building up a real dynasty... Why Not Us?!?

Let's keep or get our new nickname and get on with it.  I'm preordering one for Big #4.

What a season!

It was a storybook season, even for a 7-9 one. It's seasons like this that keep you invested.

I actually feel like we have a future and aren't just spinning our wheels despite drafting well.

And I say this despite being a negative nancy about this team.

Man. Working for the team, being at the stadium on game days, i have had a few exciting memories to look back on. This team made my thanksgiving a great one, on a day i didnt have most of my family with me. This team started off and capped off my week of quarantine leading up to my sisters wedding last month (beating Pittsburgh and then beating the 49ers). 

today was a long day, with the buildup to my first time working a playoff game. I was so nervous, cause i didnt want to be blown out. The team gave me something to cheer for, against a great team. 

One heck of a season, and I’m looking forward to 2021 season 

Rivera delivered, he's changing the culture as much as he can knowing the terrible owner we have. Heinicke is a good surprise, let's draft an OL to protect our QBs. Now we've got solid foundations to keep on building a new franchise

I threw away all my Redskins memorabilia after the loss to the giants..that will always haunt me..I threw a fit in a drunken rage..I had been taking shots of tequila..tequila and I are a no no together..**** I feel so low for doing what I did..I didnt watch every single wft game..which is my goal through the football season..just be there for my beloved favorite football team..I question the beloved after the tantrum I threw...my thoughts on this team going forward: I'm very excited to see where things can go..constant division winners..superbowl wins and losses but finally a solid organization. Thank God..its been a long time coming.

-We saw the rise of the WFT.

-Overcame illness, purged some negativity on and off the field.

-Heinike,Thomas,Gibson,JD,Curl

-Young leaders emerged in TMac&Young

-Hope for healthy return of Landon C and 👑 Ion who some would've  argued was our best DL ....scary

-F/A $$$ in the bank

-Confidence in the draft

Best yr. since 2005

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

That clip of Kerrigan walking off the field well after the game is heart wrenching, it truly is. I'm glad I wore his gold throw back jersey yesterday...

Yep. And from his quotes today, it sounds like he definitely won’t be back in Washington next season. Wants to be a starter, feels he still can be. Sounds like he knows last night was his last game with us. He’s been a true pro his whole time here. Going to miss him. 

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. And from his quotes today, it sounds like he definitely won’t be back in Washington next season. Wants to be a starter, feels he still can be. Sounds like he knows last night was his last game with us. He’s been a true pro his whole time here. Going to miss him. 

Well said here man..thank you..that's to bad..I respect his wishes but will be soooo sad to see him go..just an all time great..just as hard as it was to see chris Samuels retire and John Jansen and moss, portis go this will be tough as well..a player I would absolutely love to see retire in the burgundy and gold...either way we know Kerrigan will retire a skin.

I just talked to my best friend on the phone who is a dolphins fan which is irrelevant but he was absolutely stoked for this Taylor kid he couldn't believe it he put the game on and his wife looked at him and said we're really going to watch this? As he frowned yes he knew for a fact with Alex being out we didn't stand a single chance but he absolutely loved Taylor in the way he played and thinks we have our future quarterback as well

10 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I hope wherever he goes he signs a short contract, that way maybe we could bring him back when he's ready to be a part time player

This season was a rollercoaster.  It had a realistic ending, albeit an exciting one.  I am going to try and caution myself into reading too much into them winning the NFC East. This division is going to be a whole new ballgame next season.  I think the arrow is trending up for this team and that is the most important factor.  I also think it is realistic that the team could win 2-3 more games next season and still miss the playoffs given the circumstances.   I think there is enough evidence on game film that this team, in it's current form, holes and all, was a better QB away from being a 9-10 game winner. I would say 9-10 wins is a good realistic goal for next season assuming the QB situation is squared away soon.

Though we all got caught up in the final game of this rollercoaster of a year, let us not lose sight that we were 8 point underdogs and ended right where Vegas thought we'd end up.  With the eyes of a nation watching us, we clawed back some respect after that Eagles/Sudafed debacle.

That being said.  That shootout with The Goat was one for the ages... though our defense really couldnt get meaningful pressure on Tom Brady or even knock him down with much force after he released it.  Even when we sacked him, it was more of a dive with two-hand touch.

But... Brady is a special player to watch...  It was like hoping our team could come back against Michael Jordan there in the end.  Aint gonna happen.

Tom Brady... Dude gets away with everything and a lot of holding no-calls!  But I'll give him this... he's good. 

tom+brady+tighty+whities.gif

brady.JPG

For maybe the first time in a long time, the season ended on a positive note.  There are a lot of things to look forward to and the things that need to be addressed are clear.  

Getting rid of Haskins was huge.  It shows that Rivera is the undisputed sheriff in town.  The players love him and want to play for him, this much is obvious.  He leads by example and it's refreshing to have a guy like that here who can lead the team and influence the players.

We've got the makings of a great defense.  We need to bolster the LB corps and perhaps the secondary.  But the foundation is incredibly strong.

I agree with @NoCalMike, we were a good QB away from a 9-10 win team...and maybe we have that QB now.  

We need another receiver.

But you can't ask for more from where this team was at this time, last year to where they are now.  Everything is better and trending in the right direction.  

I think something we need to see to show things have truly changed is taking care of the young unheralded players that have developed and turned into solid players here.  Kamren Curl reminds me a bit of Ryan Clark.  He isn't the biggest, strongest, or fastest safety out there, but he is very smart and knows how to play in coverage.  He had a hell of a rookie season and hopefully he continues to develop.  The Ryan Clark comparison was because this franchise treated guys like Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce as expendable as soon as there were shiny objects in free agency to sign and all those 2 players did was go to other teams and become integral parts to Super Bowl winning defenses.  I really hope we have scouts and coaches and player personnel that can make sure the same mistakes aren't made when it comes to those players who show the goods but lack the hype.

It is good to know that even though the DLine gave it their all and for certain wasn't the reason we lost the game - all of them feel like they are the reason we lost. They are going to work on any area of their weaknesses and come back more complete and scarier to offenses. Thats just the kind of guys they are (beyond being insanely physically talented) 

I just committed to WFT gear not because it is an "interim year" as we await a new team name.. but because it represents a challenging year in which we prevailed as a team, a fanbase, and started gaining the respect of others in the league.

F 2020. I just bought my first WFT gear to immortalize this particular successful season.

HTTR 

ff_3873526-a0e963a504a3e034688b_full.jpg

Other imperatives from the 2020 season.

Beat the damn cowboys

otf54h9r39dzwaukraze.jpg

Not only did we sweep them... we blew them out on national TV.  priceless.

Beat every team in Pennsylvania

wft-eagles.jpeg

Well.. we swept TF outta the Eagles and clinched the division on our second go.

and of course, we beat back the curse of 1) The Steelers owning us for decades.. and 2) Playing a prime time game

GettyImages-1289982172-775x465.jpg

So.. there are 5 meaningful wins from 2020.  a couple more, and we're at 7-9 and laughing our way to the playoffs.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, bakedtater1 said:

That clip of Kerrigan walking off the field well after the game is heart wrenching, it truly is. I'm glad I wore his gold throw back jersey yesterday...

No offense but he’s never won anything here so I don’t feel really anything watching that clip.  Respect him as a man though.

Archived