Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

New DOJ filing exposes Trump’s secret objections — and asks special master to call his bluff

The Justice Department, in a filing on Tuesday, revealed objections made by the Trump legal team that the ex-president's lawyers had tried to keep under wraps.

Federal Judge Raymond Dearie, the special master tasked with reviewing thousands of documents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence, earlier this month challenged Trump's lawyers to assert whether or not they endorsed his public claim that the FBI may have "planted" evidence during the search and also to produce evidence for Trump's claim that he had declassified secret national security documents before taking them home.

Trump's team apparently responded with objections to Dearie's plan for the special master review, but those were not made public until the Justice Department responded to them in a filing on Tuesday.

"Team Trump is filing complaints under seal for some reason, but DOJ is discussing it not under seal, so we can largely infer what Trump is upset about," New York Times national security reporter Charlie Savage flagged on Twitter.

The filing revealed that Trump's lawyers had objected to Dearie's request that they verify that the search inventory filed by the DOJ is accurate, which would effectively negate Trump's dubious claim that the FBI may have "planted" evidence. The DOJ affirmed that its inventory of items seized from Mar-a-Lago is complete and accurate and urged Dearie to require Trump's lawyers to state for the record whether they agree.

Trump's lawyers also objected to Dearie's request that they explain whether they are claiming attorney-client privilege or executive privilege. Judge Aileen Cannon, the Trump appointee who ordered the special master review, failed to ask for a clear distinction.  

It's unclear exactly what Trump's third objection was.

"Team Trump doesn't want to brief something that DOJ says is fine briefing. They don't say what, but Dearie's directive had discussed a briefing schedule for any eventual Rule 44 motion by Trump for return of property seized in the search, so it's probably that," Savage reported.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, China said:

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/28/new-doj-filing-exposes-trumps-secret-objections--and-asks-special-master-to-call-his-bluff/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

The Justice Department, in a filing on Tuesday, revealed objections made by the Trump legal team that the ex-president's lawyers had tried to keep under wraps.

Federal Judge Raymond Dearie, the special master tasked with reviewing thousands of documents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence, earlier this month challenged Trump's lawyers to assert whether or not they endorsed his public claim that the FBI may have "planted" evidence during the search and also to produce evidence for Trump's claim that he had declassified secret national security documents before taking them home.

Trump's team apparently responded with objections to Dearie's plan for the special master review, but those were not made public until the Justice Department responded to them in a filing on Tuesday.

"Team Trump is filing complaints under seal for some reason, but DOJ is discussing it not under seal, so we can largely infer what Trump is upset about," New York Times national security reporter Charlie Savage flagged on Twitter.

The filing revealed that Trump's lawyers had objected to Dearie's request that they verify that the search inventory filed by the DOJ is accurate, which would effectively negate Trump's dubious claim that the FBI may have "planted" evidence. The DOJ affirmed that its inventory of items seized from Mar-a-Lago is complete and accurate and urged Dearie to require Trump's lawyers to state for the record whether they agree.

Trump's lawyers also objected to Dearie's request that they explain whether they are claiming attorney-client privilege or executive privilege. Judge Aileen Cannon, the Trump appointee who ordered the special master review, failed to ask for a clear distinction.  

It's unclear exactly what Trump's third objection was.

"Team Trump doesn't want to brief something that DOJ says is fine briefing. They don't say what, but Dearie's directive had discussed a briefing schedule for any eventual Rule 44 motion by Trump for return of property seized in the search, so it's probably that," Savage reported.

None of TFG's lawyers want to make sworn declarations to anything. That's TFG's biggest problem with his whole objective of anything to do with his term of office or his 2020 election non-sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

None of TFG's lawyers want to make sworn declarations to anything. That's TFG's biggest problem with his whole objective of anything to do with his term of office or his 2020 election non-sense.

I really really hope Dearie keeps up the pressure on them and forces them into yes or no answers. You either admit that you're not actually claiming what your client has been claiming, and hence you basically have no case, or you lie and risk being punished and potentially disbarred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's insanely obvious that Cannon is basically a MAGA and that's how she's ruling, not as an impartial judge. Her opinions so far have all been, at best, legally dubious if not downright baffling.

100 percent I agree with the first ruling that was smacked down by the Appeals Court.  I don't think she has so much leeway... again... Dearie was giving them harder deadline to make their claims than what the judge stipulated, but she did have them bucketize everything the same way that Dearie did.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I read the actual order and it just extends a few of the timelines and adds two weeks to the process, from end November to mid-December. I am not too outraged...

Did she only delay?  I thought she said they didn't have to actually state in court that the FBI planted evidence, basically letting Trump off the hook for his public bull****.

• Thanks 1

Ginni Thomas, wife of supreme court justice, appears before January 6 panel

The conservative activist Ginni Thomas, the wife of the supreme court justice Clarence Thomas, appeared on Thursday for a voluntary interview with the House January 6 committee.

The committee had for months sought the interview in an effort to know more about Thomas’s role in trying to help Donald Trump overturn his election defeat by Joe Biden.

She texted Trump’s White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and contacted lawmakers in Arizona and Wisconsin in the weeks after the election.

Thomas did not answer questions when she arrived for the interview or later when she briefly left for a break. But Thomas did tell reporters she was looking forward to answering questions from the members of the committee.

Testimony from Thomas was one of the remaining items for the committee as it nears completion of its work. The panel has interviewed more than 1,000 witnesses and shown some testimony in eight public hearings.

Thomas’s attorney, Mark Paoletta, said last week Thomas was “eager to answer the committee’s questions to clear up any misconceptions about her work relating to the 2020 election”.

The extent of her involvement in the Capitol attack is unclear. In the days after the presidential election was called for Biden, Thomas emailed two lawmakers in Arizona to urge them to choose “a clean slate of electors” and “stand strong in the face of political and media pressure”.

The AP obtained the emails earlier this year under the state’s open records law.

Thomas has said in interviews she attended a pro-Trump rally near the White House on the morning of 6 January 2021 but left before Trump spoke and crowds attacked the Capitol.

Thomas has repeatedly maintained that her political activities posed no conflict of interest with the work of her husband.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I read the actual order and it just extends a few of the timelines and adds two weeks to the process, from end November to mid-December. I am not too outraged...

I did not read the order but that was my impression as well.

So do you all believe he won't be indicted after all of this?  I don't, never did.  And can I assume from this situation that the crime was committed in Florida so any trial would be there and not in DC?  Asking for obvious reasons.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I did not read the order but that was my impression as well.

So do you all believe he won't be indicted after all of this?  I don't, never did.  And can I assume from this situation that the crime was committed in Florida so any trial would be there and not in DC?  Asking for obvious reasons.  

I would assume a trial would be in DC as that's where the theft occurred. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, China said:

Ginni Thomas, wife of supreme court justice, appears before January 6 panel

The conservative activist Ginni Thomas, the wife of the supreme court justice Clarence Thomas, appeared on Thursday for a voluntary interview with the House January 6 committee.

The committee had for months sought the interview in an effort to know more about Thomas’s role in trying to help Donald Trump overturn his election defeat by Joe Biden.

She texted Trump’s White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and contacted lawmakers in Arizona and Wisconsin in the weeks after the election.

Thomas did not answer questions when she arrived for the interview or later when she briefly left for a break. But Thomas did tell reporters she was looking forward to answering questions from the members of the committee.

Testimony from Thomas was one of the remaining items for the committee as it nears completion of its work. The panel has interviewed more than 1,000 witnesses and shown some testimony in eight public hearings.

Thomas’s attorney, Mark Paoletta, said last week Thomas was “eager to answer the committee’s questions to clear up any misconceptions about her work relating to the 2020 election”.

The extent of her involvement in the Capitol attack is unclear. In the days after the presidential election was called for Biden, Thomas emailed two lawmakers in Arizona to urge them to choose “a clean slate of electors” and “stand strong in the face of political and media pressure”.

The AP obtained the emails earlier this year under the state’s open records law.

Thomas has said in interviews she attended a pro-Trump rally near the White House on the morning of 6 January 2021 but left before Trump spoke and crowds attacked the Capitol.

Thomas has repeatedly maintained that her political activities posed no conflict of interest with the work of her husband.

Ginni has a well documented problem of attraction to cults. Her past association with Lifespring, a cult, points to her fascination with these fascist cults. My first GF (I was in my 30s) was involved with Lifespring and tried to get me involved. After going to a couple of sessions I realized that it was a scheme designed to part people from their money, like Scientology is. I never went back. 

Ginni's is also tied to extreme religious organizations that seek to turn the United States into a theocracy. 

I caught up with The Handmaid's Tale recently and am waiting to binge watch this season. It's Theocracy gone mad. And I believe there are people out there who would like this to happen here. I say they should buy a big island and move there and practice what they want. 

16 hours ago, China said:

I already thought our legal system was ****ed up. This pretty much makes the whole thing a **** show though, right? How much of this kind of **** can she get away with? The fact that Mitch gets any control over the process that puts people like this in lifetime positions (?) is sick. 

I mean I knew all this was ****ed up before. But seeing someone actually DO the **** out in the open like this with no consequences is jarring. Its one thing to **** the little guy and no one sees or cares. But this **** is a full blown national story and....nothing? How? 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1