Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

7 hours ago, Llevron said:

I know I did take it a little (maybe a lot) further than necessary, to the point of being off topic and getting on others nerves. I’ll manage myself better and not be as selfish when next we meet. Apologies everyone! 

A wise man once told me a story about a man  who walks down the street and into the same deep hole everyday….

Heeeyyyyy, I resemble that remark!

23 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I want to see 2 political reforms right off the bat -- actually 3. 

1) Triple the size of the house. 

2) Double the size of the Senate (4 Senators). 

3) President gets popular vote. 

I actually think we could make only one change that would have a huge fix to the system:

1) Develop a true non-partisan, fair redistricting algorithm that solves and prevents gerrymandering. 

• Like 9

Just now, The Almighty Buzz said:

I actually think we could make only one change that would have a huge fix to the system:

1) Develop a true non-partisan, fair redistricting algorithm that solves and prevents gerrymandering. 

I don't know that that would solve everything, but it would solve a lot.

5 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Well I wouldn't approve of his suggestions.  I think mine is the only major change I would get behind.

I do think that we need some federal regs that limit the ability of states to outright cheat especially in those states that have recently voted bills into law that say, "If we don't like the results of the vote we can override the people's will as long as we suspect foul play (but we don't have to prove foul play or show any evidence of it.)

I will say I have long (like for thirty years) been of the mind that we have outgrown the usefulness of the electoral college. The Presidency is a national office. It should be voted for by the nation not the states especially in an era where communication is as advanced as it is today (albeit sometimes that very technology is more of a problem than a useful tool.)

But I don't think I'm for increasing the number of Senators or Reps either.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

1) Develop a true non-partisan, fair redistricting algorithm that solves and prevents gerrymandering

Had an instructor once tell me about something called proportional representation. Sounded like a really good solution to me. 

Explanation:  

Right now, Florida has 27 Congressmen, based on its population. 

Under the current situation, the government gerrymanders the state into 27 districts, which go to whoever gets the most votes. 

Under a proportional system, the Florida GOP submits a list of 27 candidates. The voters vote, statewide, for a Party

If the GOP gets 53% of the vote, then the first (53% * 27 = 14) names on the list go to Washington, to represent the state. 

The advantage of this system is, it utterly destroys things like "the two party system". And "safe districts". 

In the current system, the only way a Libertarian goes to Washington, is if he can get more votes than the D and the R, in one district. 

But in a proportional system, in the L party can get 3% of the vote, statewide, they get to send somebody. If they can get 7% or so, they can send two. 

It means that you get a system with dozens of Political parties. You'll have a Party who's "just like the GOP, but pro choice". And one that's "Just like the Dems, but anti gun control". 

It means that elections become about the Party platforms. (Which, as I understand, the elected are required to adhere to). 

It means you don't have the status where, when a district votes 56% for Party X, both parties stop paying attention. With proportional representation, 1,000 votes in a solid R district count the same as 1,000 votes in a solid blue one. 

Case you can't tell, I love the idea. Had me at "destroys the two Party system."

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Had an instructor once tell me about something called proportional representation. Sounded like a really good solution to me. 

Explanation:  

Right now, Florida has 27 Congressmen, based on its population. 

Under the current situation, the government gerrymanders the state into 27 districts, which go to whoever gets the most votes. 

Under a proportional system, the Florida GOP submits a list of 27 candidates. The voters vote, statewide, for a Party

If the GOP gets 53% of the vote, then the first (53% * 27 = 14) names on the list go to Washington, to represent the state. 

The advantage of this system is, it utterly destroys things like "the two party system". And "safe districts". 

In the current system, the only way a Libertarian goes to Washington, is if he can get more votes than the D and the R, in one district. 

But in a proportional system, in the L party can get 3% of the vote, statewide, they get to send somebody. If they can get 7% or so, they can send two. 

It means that you get a system with dozens of Political parties. You'll have a Party who's "just like the GOP, but pro choice". And one that's "Just like the Dems, but anti gun control". 

It means that elections become about the Party platforms. (Which, as I understand, the elected are required to adhere to). 

It means you don't have the status where, when a district votes 56% for Party X, both parties stop paying attention. With proportional representation, 1,000 votes in a solid R district count the same as 1,000 votes in a solid blue one. 

Case you can't tell, I love the idea. Had me at "destroys the two Party system."

I like the idea as well, but probably a snowball’s chance in hell it could ever get enacted. It would destroy the gop’s hold on power, and give that power to the constituency, something the gop has shown that they are firmly against. 

IMO, something has to be done to fracture the gop party. Not sure what that will take, as many of my (I consider) sane gop acquaintances/friends still vote for people they have disdain for, just because they have that R after their name.

I had never heard of this red mirage thing before. I knew this was happening, but I had no idea that they expected it and it happened every election. 

This really does destroy the mail in ballot argument if you are objective. But I guess that’s the main problem. 

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I had never heard of this red mirage thing before. I knew this was happening, but I had no idea that they expected it and it happened every election. 

This really does destroy the mail in ballot argument if you are objective. But I guess that’s the main problem. 

Yeah, it’s just that 2020’s early voting was so much more than previous elections as Stirewalt has testified.  It had a greater impact in 2020.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Historically conservatives tend to vote in person on election day. Skeptical of early and mail in voting. Which is weird since the Republicans are the ones that expanded mail in voting years ago. Mainly to get all those elderly folks votes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, it’s just that 2020’s early voting was so much more than previous elections as Stirewalt has testified.  It had a greater impact in 2020.

Whats really obvious to me now is that Trump knew that. And it wasn’t that he was ignorant to that fact. They specifically explained that to him and he used it against his voters to make it look like he knew Dems would cheat. Which directly lead to everything that went down at the Capital. 

I really at one point thought he was just saying anything he could. But they KNEW this was going to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Historically conservatives tend to vote in person on election day. Skeptical of early and mail in voting. Which is weird since the Republicans are the ones that expanded mail in voting years ago. Mainly to get all those elderly folks votes.

Which makes it even more crazy that they are trying to dismantle it now. 

• Like 1

Today so far, shows how mentally unfit Trump is. He will believe any conspiracy theory, even when presented with evidence that debunks it.

He's detached from reality. He using the lies to raise money and keep his hold on power; in the top and hopes to use that to return to the presidency.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

Took a minute to watch Fox coverage.  Whew boy.  “Take away what Trump and Giuliani said about election security, Americans have questions about the electoral process.”  Well, no ****.  We as a country are pretty ignorant.  Hell, mother****ers thought they were in the White House on 1/6.

• Haha 1