Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Republicans outright demonstrating just how much their party is operated on pettiness and meanness has got to cost them power. Doesn't it?  

He starts off well and makes an overall good poiint. But why exxagerrate? State income rates are generally less than 7% or so. CA is the highlest, 13.3% I think, but thaty's only for the highest earners. It's a graduated range of 1 to 13.3%. I did not look up the thresholds but clearly those getting student loan relierf are not paying 13.3%. But no one is anywehere near 20% unbless there is something I am completly overlooking.

He had a good point why exxagerrate? So annoying!  

https://taxfoundation.org/publications/state-individual-income-tax-rates-and-brackets/

US bans ‘advanced tech’ firms from building facilities in China for a decade

US technology firms that receive government funding will be banned from building “advanced technology facilities” in China for a decade, the Biden administration has announced, as it outlined plans to increase domestic production of semiconductors.

The requirements come under the US government’s near-$53bn (£46bn) plan to scale up manufacturing of semiconductor chips – the “brain” in every electronic device from cars to household appliances – which are predominantly produced in Asia.

The US Chips and Science Act (Chips), approved by Congress in August, is part of the American response to a long-running technological dispute between Washington and Beijing, as US firms demand more government support to reduce reliance on components produced in Chinese factories.

The US Department of Commerce said it hoped to begin seeking applications by next February for $39bn in government semiconductor subsidies to build new production facilities in the US. The plan will also give a 25% investment tax credit for chip plants, where construction begins from 2023.

“We’re also going to be implementing the guardrails to ensure those who receive Chips funds cannot compromise national security,” the US commerce secretary, Gina Raimondo, said. “They’re not allowed to use this money to invest in China; they can’t develop leading-edge technologies in China; they can’t send latest technology overseas.”

The US currently only produces about 10% of the world’s supply of semiconductors; most chips are manufactured in factories in Taiwan and South Korea.

Global shortages of computer chips, prompted by the coronavirus pandemic, have caused large production delays for carmakers in the UK and beyond, as well as for technology companies and other manufacturers.

In addition, the industry has gained increased geopolitical prominence as China has begun asserting itself on the world stage under its president, Xi Jinping, including threatening Taiwan.

China’s embassy in Washington previously opposed the bill, saying it was reminiscent of a “cold war mentality”.

The US crackdown on the sale of technology to China has already begun to have an impact, with the US chip designer Nvidia disclosing last week that it had been told by US officials to stop exporting two top computing chips for artificial intelligence work to China.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Anyone see Biden's 60 Minutes interview yesterday?

I don't believe he wants to make a promise he can't keep with respect to his health.  There's no need to announce his 2024 candidacy yet as oldest President in US history.

Be careful what you wish for hoping for him not to run...especially if he survives the midterm and continues rocking up wins...that almost never happens in US political history.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Anyone see Biden's 60 Minutes interview yesterday?

I don't believe he wants to make a promise he can't keep with respect to his health.  There's no need to announce his 2024 candidacy yet as oldest President in US history.

Be careful what you wish for hoping for him not to run...especially if he survives the midterm and continues rocking up wins...that almost never happens in US political history.

If the Democrats can’t find someone other than Biden to beat the facist gop; they don’t deserve to win.

An 82 year old man shouldn’t be president. He had his run. Passed sone things. Time for the next generation to take over. 

Every single incumbent Dem needs to be primaried in 24. Time to get the old generation out. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

If the Democrats can’t find someone other than Biden to beat the facist gop; they don’t deserve to win.

An 82 year old man shouldn’t be president. He had his run. Passed sone things. Time for the next generation to take over. 

Every single incumbent Dem needs to be primaried in 24. Time to get the old generation out. 

Self-inflicted wounds and purging moderates are for the GOP, that's madness with a 50-50 senate.

Who cares how old Biden is if he's getting results...don't fix what ain't broke.

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Self-inflicted wounds and purging moderates are for the GOP, that's madness with a 50-50 senate.

Who cares how old Biden is if he's getting results...don't fix what ain't broke.

I’m not saying you’re wrong I certainly don’t have any confidence in other ideas being better, but…. I would caution against putting to much into how he did when his opponent was Trump. 

Republicans won down ballot despite Trump losing to Biden. 

Until they went nuts on abortion the thought was they’d do really well this midterm cycle. 

I think the last few months the dems have lost sight of things like that. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong I certainly don’t have any confidence in other ideas being better, but…. I would caution against putting to much into how he did when his opponent was Trump. 

Republicans won down ballot despite Trump losing to Biden. 

Until they went nuts on abortion the thought was they’d do really well this midterm cycle. 

I think the last few months the dems have lost sight of things like that. 

Agreed.

Having said that, the country is not nearly as far to the left as Twitter wants it to be, why Moderate Dems stand a much better chance in general elections then progressives do for the most part.

People have spoken and my generation simply doesn't vote enough to change that narrative yet.  Yet...

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Agreed.

Having said that, the country is not nearly as far to the left as Twitter wants it to be, why Moderate Dems stand a much better chance in general elections then progressives do for the most part.

People have spoken and my generation simply doesn't vote enough to change that narrative yet.  Yet...

I agree in general. The rest is not directed at you - just a launching point:

My issue is that becasue of the better marketing and messaging from the right, especially the far right (insert irrational fear here), what is being called far left is actualy what would have been moderate 20 yrs ago. So I get the position of progressives that a move to todays "moderate" is really a move to Reagon like right. 

However, we will not move the needle back in one or two elections. It will take time. So we need to get at least current day moderates in place to start. We can at least ward off the extreme right ignorance and then start working more progressive postions in as we get the chance. And we need to stop trying to hit homeruns and take singles and doubles. I think Biden has a done a good job of that. I would not want to dismiss him out of hand jsut becasue of his age. He has gotten a lot done in a very combative environment. We can say the dems have a majrotiy but not really. Sinema and Manchin are more right than they are left and have stopped real progress. Biden has done what he needs to, make deals and get the wins where he can. 

Once some of thse policies start showing progress to the average voter it will become increasingly difficult to push the extreme right narrative of dems bad. Some will never stop the lunucy (see MGT and Boebert and thier followers). Bt from a majority standpoint things will start to shift back. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

@goskins10 I think you're on to something with respect to clarity on what is actually a far left position on something.

i dont believe Progressives are doing their part to clarify what they want to be seen as moderate positions on this massive issues, and most take too much pride in "not being moderate".

When i see the entire island of Puerto Rico lose power because of hurricane twice in a handful of years, it begs the question of why aggressively trying to get ahead of the issue we are near hopelessly behind on is considered progressive or far left in the first place.

We lost the MFA debate more so because of the price tag and how quickly folks like Sanders wanted it in place.  It's clear to me folks like Pete want Universal Healthcare, but starting with public option as a slow roll approach to not overshock the system and get used to the eventuality of not allowing private insurance to compete with what the public option offers (MFA wouldve done that almost overnight).

Is Univeral Healthcare a progressive or moderate position, or the pace of implementation?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is Univeral Healthcare a progressive or moderate position, or the pace of implementation?

Progressive. 

generally the governments role in dictating more about our lives is considered progressive. expansion of governments role. 

where it gets all muddied up is when conservatives (try to) use the government/law to force their morals on people. 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

Progressive. 

generally the governments role in dictating more about our lives is considered progressive. expansion of governments role. 

where it gets all muddied up is when conservatives (try to) use the government/law to force their morals on people. 

It's getting to a point where it is becoming so common for the far-right to do that that the conversation maybe needs to be had about your claim in what makes something "progressive" not being a fair barometer by itself anymore.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's getting to a point where it is becoming so common for the far-right to do that that the conversation maybe needs to be had about your claim in what makes something "progressive" not being a fair barometer by itself anymore.

well - my argument would be, and has been, that the modern day GOP isn’t conservative. 

To me that’s the real issue. The use of progressive is fine to me, but conservative has been ****ized and there’s only a few politicians I think are conservatives anymore. 

One the bigger things I’ve been saying for a while now is that there’s a lot of room in all these issues for a conservative solution. Global warming, healthcare, poverty/wage/wealth gap, education… the liberals come up with one idea, and the “conservatives” just pretend the issue doesn’t exist or isn’t worth doing anything about. 

they’ve been dubbed the party of no for a reason. They don’t even have legislative agendas anymore. They’re pretty open about their strategy being make gridlock and things as bad as possible so they can blame the dems next election cycle. 

i think actual conservative options on those issues makes room for actual compromise, and likely gives us the best results. 

what we’re doing now is just damaging. We either get some weird sweeping bill that has flaws that can never be addressed because there’s no room to make things better - or we get nothing. 

The ACA is a great example. 

that’s legislation that should be ongoing, living policy. We should be tweaking it as we go to make it better. It was a huge bill - pretending it got everything right and nothing wrong is just dumb. Ignoring that it’s an ongoing issue needing ongoing work is just dumb. 

but we got 1 bill through. No adjustments to make it better. Months and dozens upon dozens of votes to repeal it. And never once did we get an actual idea of what to replace it with. 

What should have happened is a recognition the liberals won the fight - and now it’s both parties obligation to work to make it better. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

well - my argument would be, and has been, that the modern day GOP isn’t conservative. 

To me that’s the real issue. The use of progressive is fine to me, but conservative has been ****ized and there’s only a few politicians I think are conservatives anymore. 

One the bigger things I’ve been saying for a while now is that there’s a lot of room in all these issues for a conservative solution. Global warming, healthcare, poverty/wage/wealth gap, education… the liberals come up with one idea, and the “conservatives” just pretend the issue doesn’t exist or isn’t worth doing anything about. 

theybe been dubbed the party of no for a reason. They don’t even have legislative agendas anymore. They’re pretty open about their strategy being make gridlock and things as bad as possible so they can blame the dems next election cycle. 

i think actual conservative options on those issues makes room for actual compromise, and likely gives us the best results. 

what we’re doing now is just damaging. We either get some weird sweeping bill that has flaws that can never be addressed because there’s now room to make things better - or we get nothing. 

This sums it up for me about well as anything I could write up. There is no "conservative" party anymore. The republican party as it stands, is either the far right radicals or people that sy they are mderates but are so afraid of the left as it's been peortrayed they will not vote any way but red, that despite as you say there being no actual republican agenda other than beat the libs/progressives/dems etc. Just beat them in  any way possible with no objectives or goals in mind. Just beat them. 

I have no issue with true traditional conservatives. I may not agree with them but I can typically have honest conversation and we can find common ground. This maggat movement has made that near impossible. 

• Like 1