Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

27 minutes ago, Redwards said:

One thing I'm not seeing in all the latest articles about the new stadium is talk of new facilities for the team.  The dump that is Redskins Park is probably the worst facility in the league.  It would make no sense to upgrade the stadium but keep the old facility.

I know that Bruce and Dan were looking at the best facilities around the NFL a few years ago, so I don't think that is lost on them.  Dan needs every single selling point he can get for FAs, and a new state-of-the-art training facility has got to be of paramount importance to pair with the stadium complex they envision.  

Assuming they own the land in Ashburn, they’ll make some good $$ selling it for a data center or apartments. It’s in a hot spot. 

On 1/21/2022 at 1:19 PM, Zim489 said:

Prince William would be an utter disaster. They cant put it all the way out there. That its roughly the same amount of distance from the beltway is as Columbia in MD.  You would lose the entirety of MD as a fanbase. Monday night games are now a no go for anyone 11 oclock and 6 oclock if the betlway as a clock. It would take 2 plus hours to get their with traffic. 

Haymarket and Leesburg are also being talked of. And all of those locations would wipe out half of the fan base and push 95 percent of the remaining fans in maryland to go to the ravens 

The team must stay close In to DC or in DC or they will lose more fans then VA could ever supply

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2

For me it’s back in D.C, National Harbor, or Alexandria.

I would be very disappointed if they move it anywhere else.  There is no reason why one of those 3 can’t work.  They are Washingtons team and they need to be either in the city or in its shadows.  

An hour left of the city would suck ass.    

• Like 3

The old RFK site is still in play now that the team is changing it's name. 

“There is no viable path, locally or federally, for the Washington football team to return to Washington, D.C., without first changing the team name,” Washington D.C. Deputy Mayor John Falcicchio said.

The land RFK Stadium sits on is federally owned by the National Park Service and controlled by the city through 2038.

38 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I'm not sure where every stadium is in relation to their "city core" but 30 miles to the west isn't all that far. And truthfully ... on a Sunday afternoon you could get from downtown DC to Dulles in about 30-35 minutes. And you could go from downtown DC to Innovation Metro station without changing cars and would probably take 30-40 minutes tops.

Now consider what could be at that Innovation Station (CIT) stop. A huge multi-dimensional development one metro stop and a 4 minute Uber from IAD. If you want to create an entertainment complex, there actually isn't a more accessible and better positioned site than where CIT sits on the Fairfax/Loudoun border.

And there is SO much money.

Northern Virginia is incredibly diverse and transient. A LOT of the people and kids here are fans of different teams. Right now the team's fanbase is hemoragging. Why double down on the old ways, and rather go out to where the money and "opportunty" to expand is. You make gameday an event. You start drawing out the casual nonfans by making the games an event, and slowly you start building back a fanbase (and winning).

Much of the region's growth and development is along the 28, 66 and Route 7 corridors out through PWC and Loudoun. This is where the growth will continue to go. And because of the Toll Road and Metro, there's probably nowhere in the region that is as easily accessible as CIT/Dulles.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm not sure where every stadium is in relation to their "city core" but 30 miles to the west isn't all that far. And truthfully ... on a Sunday afternoon you could get from downtown DC to Dulles in about 30-35 minutes. And you could go from downtown DC to Innovation Metro station without changing cars and would probably take 30-40 minutes tops.

Every New Stadium built is withiin 10 miles or in the downtown area of their fanbase, except for Dallas (AT&T is 20 miles away) and SF (Levi Stadium is 42 miles away), so 30 miles is far when comparing them to other NFL franchises.  Dallas and SF both are further away from their downtown area but don't have another team near them that can take away fans ie like the Ravens.  If you build a stadium that far from PG County and other surrounding MD Counties you would alienate that part of the fanbase.  You would want to build a stadium that is centrally located for the DMV not just Virginia or DC.  In theory it might take someone 30-45 minutes from DC to get to Dulles, but it would take 1hr -1.5 hrs from Laurel or Bowie to get to that same location.  

8 minutes ago, dckey said:

Every New Stadium built is withiin 10 miles or in the downtown area of their fanbase, except for Dallas (AT&T is 20 miles away) and SF (Levi Stadium is 42 miles away), so 30 miles is far when comparing them to other NFL franchises.  Dallas and SF both are further away from their downtown area but don't have another team near them that can take away fans ie like the Ravens.  If you build a stadium that far from PG County and other surrounding MD Counties you would alienate that part of the fanbase.  You would want to build a stadium that is centrally located for the DMV not just Virginia or DC.  In theory it might take someone 30-45 minutes from DC to get to Dulles, but it would take 1hr -1.5 hrs from Laurel or Bowie to get to that same location.  

Yeah, but IMO it's not really smart to drop a stadium in National Harbor, which is about an hour from your largest potential growing fanbase. Nobody in NoVa wants to travel to Maryland for a game. It's why the Landover trash dump barely draws 30k people now.

Put that stadium at Dulles and your fan base multiplies over time, and you won't think twice about the fan base you lose in Maryland. You've already lost who you're gonna lose through the horrid years of Snyder, the stadium, and the Ravens success.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, but IMO it's not really smart to drop a stadium in National Harbor, which is about an hour from your largest potential growing fanbase. Nobody in NoVa wants to travel to Maryland for a game. It's why the Landover trash dump barely draws 30k people now.

Put that stadium at Dulles and your fan base multiplies over time, and you won't think twice about the fan base you lose in Maryland. You've already lost who you're gonna lose through the horrid years of Snyder, the stadium, and the Ravens success.

Disagree, I see a bigger fanbase growing inside of the beltway in Virginia, MD and DC.  There are more people moving into the city as well as I just don't see that many fans that far in NoVA packing a stadium, Landover was a dump from the beginning because there was nothing around it.  If you were to drop that stadium near National Harbor not only will you get fans from all over the DMV, but it is a popular location with MGM and other attractions that people would just want to be at the stadium.  I'm originally from DC and I just don't see the association that far away to the DMV.  It would be the Virginia Football Team.  That is too far to associate with Washington.  It at least needs to be on the beltway or inside of the beltway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

For me it’s back in D.C, National Harbor, or Alexandria.

I would be very disappointed if they move it anywhere else.  There is no reason why one of those 3 can’t work.  They are Washingtons team and they need to be either in the city or in its shadows.  

3 hours during rush hour…..

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

You are 100 percent wrong.

if Snyder moved to va outside the beltway 

the nfl should supply a new team for Washington and watch Snyders team die .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

I 100% agree with this.  If the stadium is in Northern VA then strip the name Washington.

You guys don’t get it.  There’s literally ZERO chance the team end up back in DC.  Everything inside the beltway is built up already.  Where are they going to get the 200+ acres needed to build the stadium and the housing and restaurant developments around the stadium?  DC won’t play hardball because of Snyder, not to mention the issues surrounding that Congress is investigating at the moment.  Maryland might happen, but again, where can they build inside the beltway?  It’s either National Harbor (no metro, and no available land) or building at the Fed-Ex site.

Virginia wants to play ball with the team, and Snyder can convince the government there to build a new complex with all the trimmings.  It’s going to be VA that wins in the end.  VA inside the beltway is already built up, so look to Loudoun for the available space and metro accommodations.  Makes the most sense, since their office is already here in Ashburn.

For those of you stating that the team will lose its Maryland fan base, guess what, it has already happened.  The team sucking like it has for the last 20+ years, plus the Ravens being a stable winning franchise only 30 minutes up the road from Landover has already cost us most of Maryland.  The stadium is located in MD for God’s sake, and we’ve lost 40-50% of the fan attendance at that toilet bowl the last 10 years.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zskins said:

The old RFK site is still in play now that the team is changing it's name. 

“There is no viable path, locally or federally, for the Washington football team to return to Washington, D.C., without first changing the team name,” Washington D.C. Deputy Mayor John Falcicchio said.

The land RFK Stadium sits on is federally owned by the National Park Service and controlled by the city through 2038.

The RFK site isn’t in play and isn’t going to be in play. For three major reasons the residents surrounding the RFK site have pushed back against a new stadium being there very vocally I might add. It would have to go through Congress which isn’t going to play ball with Snyder especially with the whole harassment thing going on. Third it’s been reported a few times Dan wants a Sports book at the new stadium that’s absolutely not going to happen on Federally owned land.

16 minutes ago, samy316 said:

You guys don’t get it.  There’s literally ZERO chance the team end up back in DC.  Everything inside the beltway is built up already.  Where are they going to get the 200+ acres needed to build the stadium and the housing and restaurant developments around the stadium?  DC won’t play hardball because of Snyder, not to mention the issues surrounding that Congress is investigating at the moment.  Maryland might happen, but again, where can they build inside the beltway?  It’s either National Harbor (no metro, and no available land) or building at the Fed-Ex site.

Virginia wants to play ball with the team, and Snyder can convince the government there to build a new complex with all the trimmings.  It’s going to be VA that wins in the end.  VA inside the beltway is already built up, so look to Loudoun for the available space and metro accommodations.  Makes the most sense, since their office is already here in Ashburn.

For those of you stating that the team will lose its Maryland fan base, guess what, it has already happened.  The team sucking like it has for the last 20+ years, plus the Ravens being a stable winning franchise only 30 minutes up the road from Landover has already cost us most of Maryland.  The stadium is located in MD for God’s sake, and we’ve lost 40-50% of the fan attendance at that toilet bowl the last 10 years.

What don’t I get?  All I said that if the new stadium isn’t in DC then go ahead and take Washington out of the team name.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, -JB- said:

What don’t I get?  All I said that if the new stadium isn’t in DC then go ahead and take Washington out of the team name.  

Why though? The New York giants/jets play in New Jersey, the Dallas cowboys play in Arlington, the San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara. The Atlanta Braves don’t play in Atlanta and honestly if you’re looking for a blue print for what Dan wants look at what  the Braves just built. Obviously a baseball park but it has hotels and retail and everything else all around the stadium which is supposedly what Dan wants. 

In 1992, Jack Kent Cooke had an agreement with Virginia Governor Doug Wilder and the State of Virginia to build a new stadium on state owned Potomac Yards. The stadium would have brought a new Metro Station at Potomac Yards along with new access from George Washington Parkway. From the moment the agreement was announced, City of Alexandria officials and Democratic Congressman Jim Moran vowed to fight it to make sure it never came fruition. They did and it never happened. In the 30 years since then, the city built a shopping center on the property and still no Metro Station and south of the stadium site, 1000's of condos and apartments built. 

This all happened after talks to build next to RFK feel through but five months later, after the Potomac Yards deal feel through, he reached agreement with the City of D.C. to build the stadium adjacent to RFK. Once again, that deal feel through thanks to pressure from out of state Congressman since part of the land he needed was federally owned.

Then he planned to build his new stadium in Laurel at the site Laurel Race Track.  His idea was for the Redskins to become the de facto NFL team of not only Washington but Baltimore. This time the State of Maryland and the City of Baltimore fought to ensure this wouldn't happen because they had hopes of bringing a new NFL team to Baltimore to a new stadium to be built at Camden Yards.

Ultimately,  he finally found his site for a stadium at it's current location.  10 years after he announced his decision to build a new stadium. He didn't live long enough to see if finished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Theres really only two other major MSA in the country that include multiple states. Kansas City straddles Missouri and Kansas. NYC stretched into CT and NJ. 

DC is a geographically tiny city that sits amidst 2 states and nearby a 3rd (WV) that’s in the MSA. 

Jets and Giants don’t remove New York from their name and they play in New Jersey. That’s just not a valid reason to not move to VA. Their stadium is in MD, HQ in VA … and they’re Washington … so …

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

On 1/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, tomwvr said:

The team must stay close In to DC or in DC or they will lose more fans then VA could ever supply

Id have to disagree. DC fine....but if you have to, get em into Virginia and out of maryland. Va and even NC is BnG country

• Thumb down 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, tomwvr said:

Haymarket and Leesburg are also being talked of. And all of those locations would wipe out half of the fan base and push 95 percent of the remaining fans in maryland to go to the ravens 

Hate to break it to you but the Ravens have more fans in MD than WFT. I bet the numbers are even close in DC. I think the biggest thing is to make sure Metro easily services the new Stadium.

21 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Hate to break it to you but the Ravens have more fans in MD than WFT. I bet the numbers are even close in DC. I think the biggest thing is to make sure Metro easily services the new Stadium.

I live in maryland and no there are not more ravens fans.

there never were redskins fans in Baltimore even when they had no team. 
the only difference is now the lines have changed 

Frederick is no longer wft area and Howard county used to be split 50/50 and is now 80/20 ravens.

You have to remember more people live around DC and it’s suburbs are strong wft area 

44 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

In 1992, Jack Kent Cooke had an agreement with Virginia Governor Doug Wilder and the State of Virginia to build a new stadium on state owned Potomac Yards. The stadium would have brought a new Metro Station at Potomac Yards along with new access from George Washington Parkway. From the moment the agreement was announced, City of Alexandria officials and Democratic Congressman Jim Moran vowed to fight it to make sure it never came fruition. They did and it never happened. In the 30 years since then, the city built a shopping center on the property and still no Metro Station and south of the stadium site, 1000's of condos and apartments built. 

This all happened after talks to build next to RFK feel through but five months later, after the Potomac Yards deal feel through, he reached agreement with the City of D.C. to build the stadium adjacent to RFK. Once again, that deal feel through thanks to pressure from out of state Congressman since part of the land he needed was federally owned.

Then he planned to build his new stadium in Laurel at the site Laurel Race Track.  His idea was for the Redskins to become the de facto NFL team of not only Washington but Baltimore. This time the State of Maryland and the City of Baltimore fought to ensure this wouldn't happen because they had hopes of bringing a new NFL team to Baltimore to a new stadium to be built at Camden Yards.

Ultimately,  he finally found his site for a stadium at it's current location.  10 years after he announced his decision to build a new stadium. He didn't live long enough to see if finished. 

It was finished in a hurry before he died.

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

Sorry but montgomery county, Prince George’s county and most of southern maryland is strong wft areas. And most of the state’s population lives there. 

• Like 2