Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

CIT site would make a ton of sense, but I think that ship has also sailed. The developers of that site have different plans and I doubt they'd be giving any of the land away to Dan Snyder.

There really aren't any good stadium options ... the entire region has been booming and there's no logical "core" sites in Virginia. I think you're looking at somewhere down south of Springfield, or possibly out toward the Haymarket area.

Maybe, just maybe, that will be the impotus to extend metro out that way, but I doubt it.

I haven't followed much about the site near National Harbor, but that wouldn't be metro-accessible.

When you say south of Springfield, are you talking down in PW county, or are you talking between Springfield and Lorton?

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seating capacity has also shrunk, affecting potential ticket revenue for FIFA. Once the NFL’s largest at more than 91,000, the Washington Football Team, which owns FedEx Field, has removed seats as ticket demand declined the past decade. Other areas are fenced off or covered with tarps, leaving capacity for NFL games at 67,617.

I've been curious about this capacity figure. That is a 24K decline.  Obviously the most visible reduction has been in the upper deck over several years last decade, and the club seats above the scoreboard have been tarped off for some time.  But those reductions to me don't add up to 24K. The only other seats I can think are the approximately 8K seats in the "cave" sections on the 200 level visitors side. Does the team no longer sell those?

“Virginia is a football state. We deserve a football team … both as a source of shared pride and of state revenues," House Majority Leader Terry Kilgore (R-Scott) said. “We have a business-minded, forward-thinking governor and House majority, and as we continue to pursue this opportunity, I think it’s important for us to understand how this project and its revenues will benefit the whole state, from Arlington to the mountains of Southwest Virginia.”

The Washington Football Team has been shopping for a new home for years. It is contractually obligated to play at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., until 2027, after which it could stay or seek another home.

The team has not ruled out ruled out potential sites in Maryland or the District, but the legislation suggests an intensified focus on Virginia. If the bills move ahead in Virginia, the team would build in Loudoun or Prince William counties, two team representatives said Friday.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said earlier this week his state still hopes to keep the team on its side of the Potomac.

“I’ve personally talked with the owners of the team and leaders of the team, and we’re very interested in keeping them,” Hogan said this week when asked about the team during a coronavirus briefing. “But it’s kind of the same situation we’ve been in for seven or eight years: They’re looking to decide where they’re going to be in seven years or so, and Maryland is going to fight.”

Team officials have been meeting with Virginia legislators for months, sharing detailed renderings of a domed stadium anchoring a vast commercial and entertainment complex intended to be used year-round, not just for 10 home games a year. The stadium would host other sports and concerts, surrounded by commercial attractions, including restaurants and retail. A conference center and hotels would be part of the project, as well as residential development.

Prince William would be an utter disaster. They cant put it all the way out there. That its roughly the same amount of distance from the beltway is as Columbia in MD.  You would lose the entirety of MD as a fanbase. Monday night games are now a no go for anyone 11 oclock and 6 oclock if the betlway as a clock. It would take 2 plus hours to get their with traffic. 

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Prince William would be an utter disaster. They cant put it all the way out there. That its roughly the same amount of distance from the beltway is as Columbia in MD.  You would lose the entirety of MD as a fanbase. Monday night games are now a no go for anyone 11 oclock and 6 oclock if the betlway as a clock. It would take 2 plus hours to get their with traffic. 

Did they lose the entirety of the Va fanbase when they moved to the Raven state? I'd would venture that the Va fanbase is larger than the Md one anyway

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

So they're going to make the same mistake they made with the middle-of-nowhere location of FedEx all over again, just so they can rush a new stadium

What other options do they have?  It's pretty clear that DC doesn't want the team back in the city, and won't play ball with Snyder and company.  MD is an option, but how much better is it really?  The only location in MD worth locating to is the National Harbor, but there's no Metro there, and it's right next to the WW Bridge.  VA is really the only logistical area that Snyder can move the new stadium to.  It's not lost on me that there's a new Republican governor, who will cater more to Snyder's wishes than if a Democratic Governor were in power.  Youngkin will gladly do business with Snyder.  My guess is that the new stadium will be near Route 28 in Sterling, or maybe in Ashburn closer to the team office.  I think Prince William is a longshot, because there's no Metro there.  At least in Sterling/Ashburn, the Silver Line will be complete within the next few years.

The team is in a rush to get out of Fed-Ex before 2027.  If they're working under that timeline, then they most likely need to get an agreement in place this year, and begin building the stadium next year or in 2024 at the latest.  If they wait too long, we might have to extend our lease at Fed-Ex, and play at that dump beyond 2027.

Edited by samy316

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

They can root for the md team; Ravens.

Why do we have a lease at fed ex? I thought Cooke bought the land , that he built the stadium on?

If not; who owns it, that we are leasing from?

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Thumb down 1

49 minutes ago, samy316 said:

What other options do they have?

If they're going to build in Prince William (like the article is suggesting), they might as well just keep playing at fedex until it crumbles to the ground, and save their money. Because it's not going to help attendance one bit

I moved out of the DC area before National Harbor got big, so I don't know much about the logistics of the area, but I'd think thats a lot more central to everyone than Landover or Prince William (even without metro), and at least already has a lot of other infrastructure already there (hotels, entertainment, restaurants, etc) - which would save a ton of money on the stadium build. My only question would be - is there even enough land left over there to build a football stadium?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

If they're going to build in Prince William (like the article is suggesting), they might as well just keep playing at fedex until it crumbles to the ground, and save their money. Because it's not going to help attendance one bit

I moved out of the DC area before National Harbor got big, so I don't know much about the logistics of the area, but I'd think thats a lot more central to everyone than Landover or Prince William (even without metro), and at least already has a lot of other infrastructure already there (hotels, entertainment, restaurants, etc) - which would save a ton of money on the stadium build. My only question would be - is there even enough land left over there to build a football stadium?

Attendance is not the biggest issue with the new stadium.  It's attracting year long events other than football.  All the new stadiums that have opened up over the last 10-15 years all have one thing in common.  All of them were retractable roof/dome stadiums with housing, restaurants and attractions built around the stadium.  The goal of opening a new stadium now is to have it host not only NFL games, but Super Bowls, Final Fours and major concerts/festivals.  Snyder must be pissed when he sees all the rave reviews for the Cowboys Stadium, and all the other new venues that have opened up in the past few years like the new Vikings Stadium, new Raiders Stadium and the new LA Stadium.  All these new venues have either hosted a Super Bowl, or will host a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.

That's what Dan cares about at the end of the day.  A new venue to host all the premier events and festivals that DC misses out on often.  I bet you dollars to donuts that the new venue will be a retractable roof stadium, and that we will get awarded a Super Bowl within 5 years after the new stadium opens.  It's what Dan has always wanted.  The new stadium will also have a 70-75K seating capacity.  It fits with the other recent venues like the LA Stadium or the Vikings Stadium, where the capacity doesn't exceed 75K.

Edited by samy316

13 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Attendance is not the biggest issue with the new stadium.  It's attracting year long events other than football.  All the new stadiums that have opened up over the last 10-15 years all have one thing in common.  All of them were retractable roof/dome stadiums with housing, restaurants and attractions built around the stadium.  The goal of opening a new stadium now is to have it host not only NFL games, but Super Bowls, Final Fours and major concerts/festivals.  Snyder must be pissed when he sees all the rave reviews for the Cowboys Stadium, and all the other new venues that have opened up in the past few years like the new Vikings Stadium, new Raiders Stadium and the new LA Stadium.  All these new venues have either hosted a Super Bowl, or will host a Super Bowl in the next 5 years.

That's what Dan cares about at the end of the day.  A new venue to host all the premier events and festivals that DC misses out on often.  I bet you dollars to donuts that the new venue will be a retractable roof stadium, and that we will get awarded a Super Bowl within 5 years after the new stadium opens.  It's what Dan has always wanted.  The new stadium will also have a 70-75K seating capacity.  It fits with the other recent venues like the LA Stadium or the Vikings Stadium, where the capacity doesn't exceed 75K.

fair point. i guess arlington, tx is in the middle of nowhere too, and they still get the events you're listing.. i think the dulles/ashburn area would make a lot more sense that PW since at least its right next to the airport, has the toll road, new metro line, etc. just looked, and its almost the same driving time from Dallas, TX to Arlington, TX as DC to Dulles area. so i concede that area wouldn't be the worst location in the world. PW on the other hand...

Ashburn / Sterling on metro would make a ton of sense given the existing options. Not to mention plopping the stadium on the border of the country’s 2 wealthiest counties. If you live in Ashburn or Herndon and you can get to the stadium in 10-15 minutes or get from Arlington or Tysons on metro in 20-25 minutes, and from DC in 45-50 minutes on metro or 30-40 minutes via car … that’s pretty ideal. Not to mention the tie-in being right next to Dulles. It really makes too much sense. Metro Extensiob is 2 years past due but is scheduled to open by summer … so it’ll be well in place by 2027. 

But I can see the argument for putting it at CIT simply because it’ll be an experiential venue, people will actually want to go regardless of product, and you’ll be surrounded by 2 million people in those 2 counties who’s average household income is well into the 6 figures. 

I know arlington’s median salary is now $99,000 across its 230,000 workers. Imagine Fairfax and Loudoun are at or just below that level. I think LoCo is #1 in terms of wealth per person or household in the country and Fairfax isn’t far behind. That’s a huge compelling reason for putting it there. 

You can argue for losing MD fans all you want. But the move to FedEx didn’t lose any VA fans. And people will drive 45-60 minutes to attend a game at a Dallas or LA like sports venue/complex. And there’s a lot more $$ in NOVA than Maryland, and I gotta think that ultimately holds some sway. 

Now, none of what I just said applies to PWC in Springfield or Haymarket. Wealth does a bit but not the allure of metro or airports 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

30 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Attracting more premier events is key, but given the recent (lack of) crowds we've seen at FedEx, I hope they keep the new place around 65K tops.  The Vegas stadium is listed as normally 65K, expandable to 71k (which I'm assuming they'll do when they host the SB in a few years). That sounds about right.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Ashburn / Sterling on metro would make a ton of sense given the existing options. Not to mention plopping the stadium on the border of the country’s 2 wealthiest counties. If you live in Ashburn or Herndon and you can get to the stadium in 10-15 minutes or get from Arlington or Tysons on metro in 20-25 minutes, and from DC in 45-50 minutes on metro or 30-40 minutes via car … that’s pretty ideal. Not to mention the tie-in being right next to Dulles. It really makes too much sense. Metro Extensiob is 2 years past due but is scheduled to open by summer … so it’ll be well in place by 2027. 

But I can see the argument for putting it at CIT simply because it’ll be an experiential venue, people will actually want to go regardless of product, and you’ll be surrounded by 2 million people in those 2 counties who’s average household income is well into the 6 figures. 

I know arlington’s median salary is now $99,000 across its 230,000 workers. Imagine Fairfax and Loudoun are at or just below that level. I think LoCo is #1 in terms of wealth per person or household in the country and Fairfax isn’t far behind. That’s a huge compelling reason for putting it there. 

You can argue for losing MD fans all you want. But the move to FedEx didn’t lose any VA fans. And people will drive 45-60 minutes to attend a game at a Dallas or LA like sports venue/complex. And there’s a lot more $$ in NOVA than Maryland, and I gotta think that ultimately holds some sway. 

Now, none of what I just said applies to PWC in Springfield or Haymarket. Wealth does a bit but not the allure of metro or airports 

We do know that Springfield is in Fairfax Co and not Prince William, correct?

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

We do know that Springfield is in Fairfax Co and not Prince William, correct?

Oh for sure. But someone mentioned PWC so I assumed there were supposed sites in PWC down 95. But I do feel similarly to Springfield as I do PWC. I don’t want the stadium anywhere near 95 or 495. At least out toward Dulles is Toll Road (4-5 lanes) and not a hub of east coast traffic. And there’s multiple ways to get out there … 66-28 north or 7 west. It’s just a much more accessible place. Even the Silver/Orange lines coming out that way are more logical / heavily trafficked lines

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

A Silver Spring resident to PWC is an hour drive with no traffic. A MNF game is a 2 plus hour trip for a marylander out there. 

I don’t think it’s as bad from those areas to Dulles though. And less trafficked roads as 267/Toll Road rarely gets clogged (rush hour yes, but not on Sundays). and would be much more metro accessible. 

And not to disrespect the Maryland fan base, but the team probably cares a lot more about the NoVa and DC fan base. That’s where most of the $$ is, and you’ll pull PGC and MoCo people down just as you do NoVa people up. But there’s way more to offer in NoVa, IMO. Way more. 

Virginia is rapidly growing, increasingly wealthy, and has no competition to the south. Maryland is a dying segment of the WFT fan base and I think the team realizes the gains to moving to VA far exceed what they can salvage staying in MD. 

Not to mention the area around IAD is a lot nicer and more prestigious than anything PG or MoCo (land is scarce in MoCo) can offer that would come close to what Dulles would offer from both a national access and entertainment perspective. 

National Harbor is the closest MD might have but there’s no metro and not next to a major international airport.

I think the team knows it’s core fan base has shrunk. And there is probably a lot to unlock in the way of “entertainment” venue with the higher income and more transient parts of Fairfax and Loudoun. Games and events will be more attractive atmospheres to the transient fans and that’s a big $$ market to unlock and there’s almost a 0% chance those people are venturing to FedEx dump on sundays as there’s virtually no entertainment value outside of the crap games that are played.

not sure if that makes sense or I’m conveying my points. But they’re not looking just for die hard fans. They’re looking to unlock a whole new avenue to fandom by building an experience venue and they can access more of the people who can/could attend that as a “new” fan in Dulles. 

• Like 1

Shots have officially been fired by Virginia, now all we have to do is wait for DC to panic and try to counter before they lose out.

The closer we get to the lease ending, the more we will see these local governments show how much they put revenue from having an NFL stadium over things like morals and the support of their citizens. 

I'm telling you, money talks, listen.

Btw, kudos to Virginia, but it would be beyond idiotic to not have it within walking distance of a metro station.  Unless the plan is to extend the blue line to Woodbridge, in no way shape or form should the stadium be in PWC.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, samy316 said:

The only location in MD worth locating to is the National Harbor, but there's no Metro there, and it's right next to the WW Bridge

You don't need a metro if it's right on the water at National Harbor. Run a couple of these every 20 mins from Old Town, the Wharf, and Georgetown (they already do this with smaller water taxis) and you're perfectly fine. It would make for an awesome gameday experience getting **** faced on the ferry and then doing a quick 10-15 min walk to the stadium

image.thumb.png.87c4bc6d07ef871bf6c83ab1ceb66e14.png

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Hopefully we get some more news soon.  I’d love to have a stadium built to trap the noise in but also be a unique design vs the open toilet bowl we have currently. 

Let's send Danny boy to scout stadiums in North Korea

32 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

You don't need a metro if it's right on the water at National Harbor. Run a couple of these every 20 mins from Old Town, the Wharf, and Georgetown (they already do this with smaller water taxis) and you're perfectly fine. It would make for an awesome gameday experience getting **** faced on the ferry and then doing a quick 10-15 min walk to the stadium

If metro won't stay open for the end of night games, what makes anyone think we'd get extra ferries (or run after hours for night games, either?)

Don't bank on it.

One thing I'm not seeing in all the latest articles about the new stadium is talk of new facilities for the team.  The dump that is Redskins Park is probably the worst facility in the league.  It would make no sense to upgrade the stadium but keep the old facility.

I know that Bruce and Dan were looking at the best facilities around the NFL a few years ago, so I don't think that is lost on them.  Dan needs every single selling point he can get for FAs, and a new state-of-the-art training facility has got to be of paramount importance to pair with the stadium complex they envision.  

Edited by Redwards