Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

This was supposed to be a low-scoring game. That's what the media predicted.

He goes against a Defense that was ranked #1 against the pass !

He's with no viable offensive receiver weapon beyond McLaurin, with our #2 receiver out, and our #1 AND #2 TE out, leaving a 4th round rookie as the TE starter, and a backup TE who never played football at any level before now.

And an OL with the RT down, and the #1 AND #2 Centers down, and at one point we were down to our #4 Center.

And a RB with Fumblitis and doesn't know when to stay in bounds.

In most cases, we'd be using those as excuses for a loss.

But Heinicke throws 3 TD's and zero INT's, with a decimated offense, against a top ranked defense and potential playoff team, and scores 27 points for the Win.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Lol you literally can't help yourself can you?  You just have to trash him.  Never mind that he's only had 1 legit weapon on offense for those games.  And is now adjusting to what he has.  Let's just give the defense a pass for 3 of those games eh?  You are seriously cracking me up!

What does the defense have to do with anything. I’m not talking about wins and losses, merely how the offense looked. He’s played well the past two weeks, no arguing that. Real well. But the previous 8 weeks he was inconsistent at best. That’s not trashing that’s just reality. I hope he can continue this upward trajectory he’s on.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I would ask if those who want another QB next season if they would change their minds if Heinicke constantly improved week by week?

I already know the answer...

My position has always been the same, whether Heinicke has played well or played poorly: I'm going to give him the entire season and then come to a conclusion. If he tears it up for the rest of the season then that will certainly sway me towards rolling with him next year. If he cools off after these past couple of games then that would probably do the same in the other direction.

Either way, I want to see how he fares through a whole season. My gut instinct so far has been that he's more of a high quality backup/fringe starter than a true franchise QB and the future of this team. But that could change depending on how things play out.

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Lol you literally can't help yourself can you?  You just have to trash him.  Never mind that he's only had 1 legit weapon on offense for those games.  And is now adjusting to what he has.  Let's just give the defense a pass for 3 of those games eh?  You are seriously cracking me up!

Why is it that whenever anyone does less that slobber over Heinicke they're "trashing" him or "hate" him? I don't think it's unreasonable to temper expectations and take the totality of his performances so far, including his bad games and still be on the fence. That's where I am.

He also said nothing about the defense at all. Stop with the strawman stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My position has always been the same, whether Heinicke has played well or played poorly: I'm going to give him the entire season and then come to a conclusion. If he tears it up for the rest of the season then that will certainly sway me towards rolling with him next year. If he cools off after these past couple of games then that would probably do the same in the other direction.

Either way, I want to see how he fares through a whole season. My gut instinct so far has been that he's more of a high quality backup/fringe starter than a true franchise QB and the future of this team. But that could change depending on how things play out.

Why is it that whenever anyone does less that slobber over Heinicke they're "trashing" him or "hate" him? I don't think it's unreasonable to temper expectations and take the totality of his performances so far, including his bad games and still be on the fence. That's where I am.

He also said nothing about the defense at all. Stop with the strawman stuff.

I agree.  It's hard to make declarative statements on the guy when he doesn't have a big body of work to go off of.  

Is he just on a hot streak right now?  Has he made some adjustments to his game and is this who he really is?  It's hard to say, and no one knows for sure.  

Kid threw some absolute dimes today, like next level stuff.  If he can keep protecting the ball, all bets are off.  I watched the Rivera press conference and it’s obvious he loves his game.

Edited by mojo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree.  It's hard to make declarative statements on the guy when he doesn't have a big body of work to go off of.  

Is he just on a hot streak right now?  Has he made some adjustments to his game and is this who he really is?  It's hard to say, and no one knows for sure.  

Based on his body of work, which includes a paloff game, I think TH has what it takes to lead this team until his successor is found.  

His anticipation on throws, which counters his lack of arm strength, will only improve over time.  hes already a team leader…which happened organically.  Guys love to play for him.

he has the proper mindset to succeed and…get this…because of the lack of expectations a draft pick has on his shoulders, 4 can ball out til he’s pulled out.  

I think he’s the proper guy to get the job done for us til that guy falls in our lap in the draft.  He takes the pressure off of us to find someone now….we can win with 4.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Based on his body of work, which includes a paloff game, I think TH has what it takes to lead this team until his successor is found.  

His anticipation on throws, which counters his lack of arm strength, will only improve over time.  hes already a team leader…which happened organically.  Guys love to play for him.

he has the proper mindset to succeed and…get this…because of the lack of expectations a draft pick has on his shoulders, 4 can ball out til he’s pulled out.  

I think he’s the proper guy to get the job done for us til that guy falls in our lap in the draft.  He takes the pressure off of us to find someone now….we can win with 4.  

I can see that, I can also see the flip side of it, too. 

I will say, the thing I like the most is that he had a pretty great showing against Tampa in the playoffs last year, came out this year and started off fairly well, went through a pretty bad stretch and has rebounded.  It could mean that he's made an adjustment and getting better.  It is a possibility, for sure.

• Like 3

TH is a great backup QB. I love the dude and I want him on the team. He’s had some nice moments this year. 

But anybody that thinks we should consider him as a possible long term solution at QB is just crazy. I mean, is it wishful thinking? Desperation? Trolling?

I just don’t get it. I can enjoy the guy and still know that we have to upgrade at QB if we want to compete for a championship.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

Consistency is the key.  I haven’t seen anything that tells me we can’t expect 4 to ball every game.  Will he be at his best every game?…impossible.  But we know he’s gonna absolutely bring it and let the chips fall.  For every game like today, there may be games like Buffalo.  I just don’t see it playing out that way tho.  I see 4 as a guy that can absolutely beat anyone on any given Sunday 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Kudos to Turner too.  I never thought Heinicke throwing 50 times a game or whatever was the right avenue… though I suppose that might have gotten him acclimated a bit faster? 🤷‍♂️

Turner drives me absolutely crazy with his play calling, specifically running Gibson as a power back (which he’s not) on first down for <2 yards consistently.  

I just can’t fathom why he can’t “stay balanced” and change that aspect of play calling.

I agree not flinging it 50 times is good.  But being in 2nd and long 70% of the time is bad also.

He also committed my #1 per peeve fireable offense: start with 2 runs, putting your QB in position to throw his forst pass on a known passing situation on the first 3rd down.  This almost always results in an opening 3-out. It happened all the time under Gibbs II and sometime under Jay, snd it’s freaking maddening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

TH is a great backup QB. I love the dude and I want him on the team. He’s had some nice moments this year. 

But anybody that thinks we should consider him as a possible long term solution at QB is just crazy. I mean, is it wishful thinking? Desperation? Trolling?

I just don’t get it. I can enjoy the guy and still know that we have to upgrade at QB if we want to compete for a championship.

I get it.  Because everyone wants a Kurt Warner.  Everyone roots for the guy who went to a school that isn't a football powerhouse, bounced around the league, was out of the league and finds a way to excel in the League.   It's fun to root for a guy like that...IMO, more fun than some dip**** from Ohio State.

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

To me it is simple is this: We lose the next 7 games because of TH then he is a backup. 

If we win the next 7 because of him then he is a starter - of how long really will depend on the coaches. 

Winning a playoff game will also mean he is not a backup. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get it.  Because everyone wants a Kurt Warner. 

I get it, too. That’s why I like the guy. 

There’s people in this very thread that were so sure Cousins would never win a title, and now they are certain that TH can. It’s crazy sauce. ****ing nuts. 😂

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Turner drives me absolutely crazy with his play calling, specifically running Gibson as a power back (which he’s not) on first down for <2 yards consistently.  

I just can’t fathom why he can’t “stay balanced” and change that aspect of play calling.

I agree not flinging it 50 times is good.  But being in 2nd and long 70% of the time is bad also.

He also committed my #1 per peeve fireable offense: start with 2 runs, putting your QB in position to throw his forst pass on a known passing situation on the first 3rd down.  This almost always results in an opening 3-out. It happened all the time under Gibbs II and sometime under Jay, snd it’s freaking maddening. 

I agree with this 100% and I'm not sure why he does this.  The only thing I can think of is that he's trying to lull the defense to sleep in a way with this pattern, only to try and open things up later on.  And I'm not saying that's a great strategy.

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

To me it is simple is this: We lose the next 7 games because of TH then he is a backup. 

If we win the next 7 because of him then he is a starter - of how long really will depend on the coaches. 

Winning a playoff game will also mean he is not a backup. 

Wait so if he goes 7-0 (or 9-0) then he remains starter but if he goes 0-7 he isn’t? Ok. Well I gotta ask the question….

11 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Consistency is the key.  I haven’t seen anything that tells me we can’t expect 4 to ball every game.  Will he be at his best every game?…impossible.  But we know he’s gonna absolutely bring it and let the chips fall.  For every game like today, there may be games like Buffalo.  I just don’t see it playing out that way tho.  I see 4 as a guy that can absolutely beat anyone on any given Sunday 

Well that's part of the problem so far. He hasn't been consistent. He's had streaks of bad and good games so far this season. That's one of the reasons I want to see how the rest of the season plays out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think we're both on the same page regarding TH; if he starts stinking up the joint on a regular basis then yes by all means another QB is needed badly.

But, considering next year's draft doesn't look promising in the QB field the team may as well hold out til 2023 draft. Maybe a vet in the league is cut/traded/FA or whatever and they get him,. I don't see an issue with it, possibly Wilson, but going after someone like Trubisky would IMO be a waste. Besides, there will be other teams looking for a QB as well, and who knows what road they take to get one. 

But I still stand by the notion that if the entire team solidifies in all aspects, TH can get the team to the SB; its been done before by far worse QBs who rode the coattails of a strong defense...

Honestly, to me one of the main things is how the coaches respond and talk. So far Rivera and the FO have been pretty upfront about wanting to find an upgrade at QB after this season is done and acknowledging that they need to find their guy. That doesn't necessarily mean that Heinicke can't convince them that he can be that guy, but to me it sounds like it could be an uphill battle.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get it.  Because everyone wants a Kurt Warner.  Everyone roots for the guy who went to a school that isn't a football powerhouse, bounced around the league, was out of the league and finds a way to excel in the League.   It's fun to root for a guy like that...IMO, more fun than some dip**** from Ohio State.

One never knows; if TH had Holt and the other WRs, Faulk and HC/OC that Warner had I could see it happening.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Wait so if he goes 7-0 (or 9-0) then he remains starter but if he goes 0-7 he isn’t? Ok. Well I gotta ask the question….

Let me answer with a question to you instead... what is your measuring stick? How are we going to determine if he is a backup or a starter? What metrics are we going to use? 

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

One never knows; if TH had Holt and the other WRs, Faulk and HC/OC that Warner had I could see it happening.

It's been awhile but I think Kurt had somewhat of a cannon.  Heinicke doesn't.  And maybe that's okay.  Just means that he's gotta be accurate and on time.