Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, techboy said:

There is nothing more informative than two total laypeople arguing issues of science on the internet without a single source citation.

Oh, I don't know. People on the Internet complaining about other people on the Internet by attacking the other people without a single mention of what said people said or why it's not correct, and simply attacking said people's worthiness to even speak, is a contender. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, techboy said:

There is nothing more informative than two total laypeople arguing issues of science on the internet without a single source citation.

You want me to post pictures of my bio books sitting in my basement? Biology books are my source. So suck it up! Also I am supersmart too. :)

Oh by the way, do you want me to explain to you how the Krebs cycle works too? I know that one too. 

Edited by zskins
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Oh, I don't know. People on the Internet complaining about other people on the Internet by attacking the other people without a single mention of what said people said or why it's not correct, and simply attacking said people's worthiness to even speak, is a contender. 

The issue is that without citation of a reliable source, there's no way for other total laypeople to tell whether or not it is or is "not correct".

If we were discussing the merits of the safety blitz or favorite recipes fine, but this is an issue of public health, and it's easy to spread inaccurate information, intentionally or not, which can be literally dangerous.

We all have easy access to a wealth of information from reliable experts, and it is at best lazy not to cite them when one is not an expert oneself.

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

You want me to post pictures of my bio books sitting in my basement? Biology books are my source.

I would love to see you quote a relevant passage that supports your assertion, yes. Make sure to include publisher and year so we can determine how up to date it is.

10 minutes ago, techboy said:

The issue is that without citation of a reliable source, there's no way for other total laypeople to tell whether or not it is or is "not correct".

If we were discussing the merits of the safety blitz or favorite recipes fine, but this is an issue of public health, and it's easy to spread inaccurate information, intentionally or not, which can be literally dangerous.

We all have easy access to a wealth of information from reliable experts, and it is at best lazy not to cite them when one is not an expert oneself.

I would love to see you quote a relevant passage that supports your assertion, yes. Make sure to include publisher and year so we can determine how up to date it is.

Please don't call people laypeople if you don't know what their educational background is. Here are two I still have from my college days. I know I don't need to prove to you of anything but you are so bent on the fact I don't know **** about biology. I was actually studying to become a doctor. Life had other plans for me. 

PXL_20210924_220816364.jpg

PXL_20210924_220938391.jpg

Edited by zskins

4 minutes ago, techboy said:

@zskinsI am well aware of your educational background. You certainly mention it often enough.

You are a layperson.

You asked me to name my source. Also your use of layperson is incorrect. The meaning of layperson is: a person without professional or specialized knowledge in a particular subject.

I on the other hand have lots of knowledge on said topic. I am not a virologist or even a doctor but I do know my ****. 

Just to make you happy here is a link: which continuously secretes antibodies at the astonishing rate of about 2000 molecules per second.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26884/

Edited by zskins

Just now, zskins said:

You asked me to name my source. 

Actually, I asked you to quote a relevant passage from it. That might be useful.

As to the rest, it's pretty clear you and I have very different definitions of expert, so pursuing that further seems pointless.

@Jabbyrwockas a science teacher, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably both.

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

I said lots of stuff. Which part?

All of it. If you're going to make claims in a public health issue, I don't think it's too much to ask to support them with reliable sources.

My wife says I have to get off the internet now, lol. 

Edited by techboy

3 minutes ago, techboy said:

@Jabbyrwockas a science teacher, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Probably both.

All of it. If you're going to make claims in a public health issue, I don't think it's too much to ask to support them with reliable sources.

This will do for the whole autoimmune. Damn I was right no that one too. Still remember things from 30 years ago.  :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8213359/

Edited by zskins

5 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

So for boosters -I can tell you 1st hand knowledge its the honor system

Yes. I have a friend that got his booster weeks ago. Just walked into a Walgreens and asked for it and they gave it to him. 

Wife is getting hers next week. (She’s approved for it, healthcare worker, etc)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I had my 2nd Moderna on April 4.  I’m over 50, kinda chubby and I do smoke…plants.  And I do jog.

We’re making big international travel plans for March/April and I’m prolly 70/30 I’m gonna look for a booster in January.  Specifically for the short-term benefits.  Don’t wanna fail a test or get deathly ill in the Copenhagen airport on a layover, and if a booster cuts those odds then I’m in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, techboy said:

As to the rest, it's pretty clear you and I have very different definitions of expert, so pursuing that further seems pointless.

You are aware that there are more options than just “layperson” and “expert”, right?  Like I’ve been in the military for 20 years.  I don’t consider myself an expert on military operations but I’m certainly no layperson.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Thanks 1