Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

It hit me just now, Aaron Rodgers is close with Alex Smith.  It's not hard to piece together that Alex might not be much of a Rivera guy.   So I'd gather that doesn't help as part of the soup.

Aaron is majorly progressive, its popped in interviews here and there, so I'd wonder if the scandal would be something that would bother him.   Though the team is clearly working to change that image.

We got from what I hear one of the worst facilities in the league and maybe the worst stadium.  And sadly for a dude who played for some of the hardest core fans in the country -- I don't think its a league secret that at least in the recent past the WFT doesn't have uch of a homefield advantage with at times the stadium loaded with opponents fans.  Peter King talked a year ago about one team that's bleeding fans, that team was ours. 

Things are changing.  We are aware of it but not so sure its seen league wide just yet.  Heck Russell Wilson grew up in Richmond and was apparently a hardcore WFT fan and we weren't on his short list either. 

But I could see how this team might not be one where he feels extra jazzed about.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Could also be Dan's history throughout Rodgers career that turns him off to WFT.

Yeah along with the stigma that the team has been a loser and arguably the most unclassy of all organizations under his reign.  It's sort of the team's image in reverse from the 80s.

Rivera who I am a huge fan of is working on changing that.  But some aspects of things won't change during Aaron's career ala the crap stadium and facilities.   But the irony is even though Rivera IMO is this organization's best asset to attract talent among other things -- if he talks to his pal Alex Smith, I get the vibe that it won't be a glowing endorsement. 

• Like 1

I’m willing to bet that although you guys have great points it’s more about location and proximity to major entertainment hubs for his fiancé. New York, California.

DC isn’t far from NY, but... I think he wants to be on the left coast, fellas.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’m willing to bet that although you guys have great points it’s more about location and proximity to major entertainment hubs for his fiancé. New York, California.

Probably.  And I hope it ends up the west coast.  I don't want to see him on the NY Giants.  To many on the board, the Giants are perceived to be a joke which I find odd considering how they consistently beat us for years -- our W-L record versus them is atrocious.  I think talent wise we have a slight edge over them but Rodgers would obviously tip that balance easily IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It's the NY thing that confuses and bites.

Anywho, he has become such an arrogant prick over the last few years, stay out of NY and eff'em

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably.  And I hope it ends up the west coast.  I don't want to see him on the NY Giants.  To many on the board, the Giants are perceived to be a joke which I find odd considering how they consistently beat us for years -- our W-L record versus them is atrocious.  I think talent wise we have a slight edge over them but Rodgers would obviously tip that balance easily IMO. 

If we’re looking to trade for a QB I think it’s one of three as of right now, in this moment.

Russell Wilson

Sam Howell

Spencer Rattler

Wilson’s contract is going to be a major obstacle (Rodgers would have been as well). One we can get around but it’s still an issue. 

I am aiming for 22 rook at the moment. 

If things with Rodgers changes he’s the top of my list.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think its a league secret that at least in the recent past the WFT doesn't have uch of a homefield advantage with at times the stadium loaded with opponents fans.  Peter King talked

First, we haven't been the same since RFK...B) How do you capitalize an * Asterisk?...and lastly...**** Peter King...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

First, we haven't been the same since RFK...B) How do you capitalize an * Asterisk?...and lastly...**** Peter King...

Don't feel like arguing it.  If you think King is wrong and this team hasn't been bleeding fans in recent years, OK, to each their own.  My point wasn't about King per se but the national perception about the team.  

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we’re looking to trade for a QB I think it’s one of three as of right now, in this moment.

Russell Wilson

Sam Howell

Spencer Rattler

Wilson’s contract is going to be a major obstacle (Rodgers would have been as well). One we can get around but it’s still an issue. 

I am aiming for 22 rook at the moment. 

If things with Rodgers changes he’s the top of my list.

That would be my guess, too.    I am actually hoping Daniel Jones has a season which isn't quite good enough for them to win but teases them enough to keep him around.  My point on this is the NY media seems to believe this is a make or break season for Jones otherwise they will be in the QB hunt next year.  Now though they have two first round picks as ammuntion in 2022.  Ditto the Eagles with Hurst -- from what I've read even though his career is young there is some uncertainty there about him and they are open to go for a QB quickly if he doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't feel like arguing it.  If you think King is wrong and this team hasn't been bleeding fans in recent years, OK, to each their own.  My point wasn't about King per se but the national perception about the team.  

That would be my guess, too.    I am actually hoping Daniel Jones has a season which isn't quite good enough for them to win but teases them enough to keep him around.  My point on this is the NY media seems to believe this is a make or break season for Jones otherwise they will be in the QB hunt next year.  Now though they have two first round picks as ammuntion in 2022.  Ditto the Eagles with Hurst -- from what I've read even though his career is young there is some uncertainty there about him and they are open to go for a QB quickly if he doesn't work out. 

If those teams struggle they are going to get 2 of the primary QB options on the market. 

Right now there’s three that could be. 

Four if you count Rodgers but I don’t think he goes to NY, either.

Going to be an interesting offseason (this and next).

I think at the end of the day it really only matters if we got a competitive team. I don't think that 4-5 years ago Tom Brady would have considered playing for Tampa. Sure they have the tax benefit and nice weather but that dude cares about winning. Tampa had a great roster and a good coach and he knew that he was the one who could lead that team to a Superbowl.

If we have another strong season where we show growth from last year the combination of a a strong roster and a well respected coach will surely put us on everyone's list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If those teams struggle they are going to get 2 of the primary QB options on the market. 

Right now there’s three that could be. 

Four if you count Rodgers but I don’t think he goes to NY, either.

Going to be an interesting offseason (this and next).

I love our off season.  If I had to say one thing i didn't like about it is we've talked about on this thread adding 2022 draft capital.  We didn't.  And two of our division rivals who might also have precarious QB situations did add major ammunition to set themselves up for next year.

As I've said here and elsewhere it wouldn't shock me if Fitz comes back next year, too.  I do think he's a good QB.   It seems clear though they will be QB shopping next year.  Should be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I think at the end of the day it really only matters if we got a competitive team. I don't think that 4-5 years ago Tom Brady would have considered playing for Tampa. Sure they have the tax benefit and nice weather but that dude cares about winning. Tampa had a great roster and a good coach and he knew that he was the one who could lead that team to a Superbowl.

If we have another strong season where we show growth from last year the combination of a a strong roster and a well respected coach will surely put us on everyone's list.

The "sure it has nice weather and no income tax" I don't think was minor in the soup but agree winning was the operatve point for Brady.  I recall reading back then that Tom's wife wanted to move to Florida.  But the difference is from what I read only two teams chased him hard.  Sounds crazy but many teams I gather felt he was spent.  I don't think that dynamic is in play with Rodgers, Wilson.

But to your point, I do think if this team looks good this year it will increase the lure.  So in general i am with you on the point.  

• Like 1

I’ll be disappointed if the Rodgers trade goes down this offseason rather than next... reason being is I think this is the year WFT firmly establishes this team as contenders. If you look at what our defense did in the latter half of the year vs the first 5 games, and you consider our quarterback and WR positions went through major upgrades, I genuinely believe we’ll be by far the number one destination for someone like Rodgers or Wilson if their priority is winning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The "sure it has nice weather and no income tax" I don't think was minor in the soup but agree winning was the operatve point for Brady.  I recall reading back then that Tom's wife wanted to move to Florida.  But the difference is from what I read only two teams chased him hard.  Sounds crazy but many teams I gather felt he was spent.  I don't think that dynamic is in play with Rodgers, Wilson.

But to your point, I do think if this team looks good this year it will increase the lure.  So in general i am with you on the point.  

Yeah Brady is somewhat of an exception because it seems he has always taken a pay cut to get a competitive roster in return. Hence, I don't really think that the tax benefits really played that much of a role. He is such a competitor and I think his main motivation was to show everyone that he can win a Superbowl outside of New England and without Belichick. This obviously raises the question whether that applies to guys like Rodgers or Wilson.

But I still feel good about our chances if we assemble a competitive roster. Ultimately, it is about their legacy and about their brand just as much.

Wilson wants to increase his brand exposure. That's why he wants out of Seattle and has targeted largely big cities. He even listed the JETS as one of his preferred destinations. That and his wife is a pop singer so that factors as well. It makes sense why he wouldn't want to come here, we don't even have a freaking name.

I think Rodgers just wants to be on the west coast.

13 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Yeah Brady is somewhat of an exception because it seems he has always taken a pay cut to get a competitive roster in return. Hence, I don't really think that the tax benefits really played that much of a role. He is such a competitor and I think his main motivation was to show everyone that he can win a Superbowl outside of New England and without Belichick. This obviously raises the question whether that applies to guys like Rodgers or Wilson.

But I still feel good about our chances if we assemble a competitive roster. Ultimately, it is about their legacy and about their brand just as much.

I doubt pocketing the extra 2.5 million or so that he would from playing in Florida was the driving force but it doesn't hurt.  What i recall reading whas Florida helped from the context of his wife wanted to live there.

I agree that Wilson or whomever might want to play here next year if the team looks good this season. 

\

• Like 2

Aaron Rodgers is a dream.  N O T   Happening!   Get it through your heads!  N O T  Happening.  Say it over and over again.  Next year or maybe a trade for a good vet QB but more likely next year.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.59.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 10.00.07 AM.png

There you go.  2022 is the year we make a move on QB.  I really hope we re-sign Fitz to another one year deal if he does well here.