Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Kansas City Chiefs trading QB Alex Smith to Redskins (nfl.com)

We got Alex A LOT cheaper than Stafford.  I will say that Stafford's TD/INT ratio was better but a 1st I wouldn't pay for a QB in Stafford that is much more beating up than Smith was when he got here, IMO.  

I don't think Stafford is that beat up.  As far as i recall teams weren't beating down the door for Alex, wasn't it basically just us and Cleveland? 

There is a reason why the market at least appears hotter for Stafford, he's distinctly better than Alex IMO.  I said back then part of my issue with Alex getting older was he was a dude that relied quite a bit on his legs (as ironically did McNabb and Brunell) and what happens when he loses some of that speed as he ages?   Stafford shouild age better than Alex considering he's game isn't as driven by mobility.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think Stafford is that beat up.  As far as i recall teams weren't beating down the door for Alex, wasn't it basically just us and Cleveland? 

There is a reason why the market at least appears hotter for Stafford, he's distinctly better than Alex IMO.  I said back then part of my issue with Alex getting older was he was a dude that relied quite a bit on his legs (as ironically did McNabb and Brunell) and what happens when he loses some of that speed as he ages?   Stafford shouild age better than Alex considering he's game isn't as driven by mobility.  

While the Redskins ultimately landed Smith, the Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals engaged in trade talks with the Chiefs, too, Rapoport reported.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

While the Redskins ultimately landed Smith, the Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals engaged in trade talks with the Chiefs, too, Rapoport reported.

OK will see if just three teams engage in talks for Stafford, if that's all, I like our chances.

You aren't going to win me over with the Alex talk.   It just makes me dig in harder.  ;).   I think Stafford is a clear peg better than Alex.   

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Allbright post per HigSKin 2 1st and a 3rd for a 33 year old QB that is on his downhill swing.  No way.  Don't take anything to heart or be angry w/me, SIP.   I love to debate and I consider you and others with couth friends.  I respect your opinions. :)

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd send Payne first or Allen with a pick other than the 1st, like a 2nd for Stafford.  I don't give up our #1.  That's me though.

I would rather they not touch anyone on that DL and go younger at the QB position.  It's going to take a lot to get a 32-year old and probably not worth giving away your own pieces for another team's player.

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington making the postseason this year was remarkable, given their quarterback situation and the fact their head coach was battling cancer for a good portion of the season. In a way, they lucked out due to the standard of play within the NFC East, but the downside of that is that they do not have a great draft spot but a clear need at quarterback.

Alex Smith was a comeback story for the ages, but he just earned an overall PFF grade of 66.0 (28th among signal-callers) and is almost 37 years old. Meanwhile, Dwayne Haskins was released, Kyle Allen isn’t the answer, and Taylor Heinicke may be coming off a 92.3 PFF grade for his late-season cameo, but the 75 dropbacks he took to get to that mark represent more than half of his career snaps in the NFL.

Washington is trying to build things the right way, but they represent a team that already made the playoffs and could be propelled to contender status with a legitimate quarterback like Stafford.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-landing-spots-detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-patriots-colts-broncos-bears-washington-football-team

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

OK will see if just three teams engage in talks for Stafford, if that's all, I like our chances.

You aren't going to win me over with the Alex talk.   It just makes me dig in harder.  ;).   I think Stafford is a clear peg better than Alex.   

He's definitely better but not much better but better and not worth a 1st and looking at what we gave up for Smith.   

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington making the postseason this year was remarkable, given their quarterback situation and the fact their head coach was battling cancer for a good portion of the season. In a way, they lucked out due to the standard of play within the NFC East, but the downside of that is that they do not have a great draft spot but a clear need at quarterback.

Alex Smith was a comeback story for the ages, but he just earned an overall PFF grade of 66.0 (28th among signal-callers) and is almost 37 years old. Meanwhile, Dwayne Haskins was released, Kyle Allen isn’t the answer, and Taylor Heinicke may be coming off a 92.3 PFF grade for his late-season cameo, but the 75 dropbacks he took to get to that mark represent more than half of his career snaps in the NFL.

Washington is trying to build things the right way, but they represent a team that already made the playoffs and could be propelled to contender status with a legitimate quarterback like Stafford.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-landing-spots-detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-patriots-colts-broncos-bears-washington-football-team

At the right price.  IMO, Payne or Allen plus a 3rd and 5th. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Allbright post per HigSKin 2 1st and a 3rd for a 33 year old QB that is on his downhill swing.  No way.  Don't take anything to heart or be angry w/me, SIP.   I love to debate and I consider you and others with couth friends.  I respect your opinions. :)

Likewise.  And lol I am not angry.  It's not personal we are just talking football.  It's fun.  its a long off season, helps kill time. 😀  I am just telling you that selling me by comparing to the Alex trade and parallels to this one won't work.  I don't see ther two situations as apples to apples for a number of reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Likewise.  And lol I am not angry.  It's not personal we are just talking football.  It's fun.  its a long off season, helps kill time. 😀  I am just telling you that selling me by comparing to the Alex trade and parallels to this one won't work.  I don't see ther two situations as apples to apples for a number of reasons. 

Like I said, respectfully Stafford is better but not a lot better than Smith.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

It will take more that just the 19th pick to get him. There will a lot of interest.

May get way too rich to be worth it

With Lynn as OC he will be bringing in Tyrod Taylor to match with a top pick 

If we play this out, who are the teams who will really go all in for Stafford if there is a bidding war?

New England: I would think not due to Staffords age and the Pats roster. It's not ready to win in the AFC

Denver: Yes. They are all over the place but have been reaching for QB's for years now. They need stability at QB and would likely get involved in a bidding war.

Indy: Definitely yes. Already made a run with the aging Rivers so they have shown they'll go after a vet cause their window is now.

Miami: Yep, I can see them getting involved and possibly offering up Tua in exchange for Stafford. They could be interesting.

Jets: Possibly but doubtful. They could offer Darnold and some picks if they're not interested in Fields or Wilson. They could then go several directions with that #2 overall pick.

Saints: Doubtful but who knows, they are in their window right now and don't have a legit QB....I can see them making a play but bailing once the war heats up.

Cowgirls: Can't see it unless the Dak things goes south quickly.

49ers: Yes, I can see the Niners dealing Jimmy G. back to NE and then going hard after Stafford...they are a concern for me. Their roster is still solid when healthy and they've had a taste.

Carolina: Yes, their coach is on record of not being sold on Teddy, that makes them instant threats to go hard after Stafford to team with McCaffery. 

Las Vegas: Maybe. Don't ever sleep on Gruden, especially after their collapse this season. He could offer up Carr and a nice pick.

Bears: How can they not go after Stafford. Yes, I think the Bears will try but won't succeed as Detroit won't trade Stafford within the division.

Houston: Doubtful. Can't see Watson agreeing to this and can't see Houston getting enough in return from a rebuilding Detroit. 

WFT: Absolutely, I can see RR and company going deep into a bidding war for Stafford. No team in the league is more in need of QB stability than the WFT.

- There you have it from my perspective, 6 teams in my opinion that will be big players for Stafford. Therefore, I expect it will take a 1st round pick and more to land him, likely a 1st, 2nd, and maybe another pick or player. Someone is gonna overpay but be happy they got him. Just my opinion. I see Miami, Indy and SF being the biggest players...especially if Miami isn't sold on Tua and I don't know how they feel about him but I'm betting they'll stand by him. All this being said, if the WFT wants Stafford I think there's a good chance they get him. 

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He's definitely better but not much better but better and not worth a 1st and looking at what we gave up for Smith.   

At the right price.  IMO, Payne or Allen plus a 3rd and 5th. 

I would do this, and change either pick to a 2nd.

But,

It gets tough for me to make it a first and more.  I know Stafford is good, but for a Mac Jones on a rookie contract, we can add a lot of other pieces.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If we play this out, who are the teams who will really go all in for Stafford if there is a bidding war?

New England: I would think not due to Staffords age and the Pats roster. It's not ready to win in the AFC

Denver: Yes. They are all over the place but have been reaching for QB's for years now. They need stability at QB and would likely get involved in a bidding war.

Indy: Definitely yes. Already made a run with the aging Rivers so they have shown they'll go after a vet cause their window is now.

Miami: Yep, I can see them getting involved and possibly offering up Tua in exchange for Stafford. They could be interesting.

Jets: Possibly but doubtful. They could offer Darnold and some picks if they're not interested in Fields or Wilson. They could then go several directions with that #2 overall pick.

Saints: Doubtful but who knows, they are in their window right now and don't have a legit QB....I can see them making a play but bailing once the war heats up.

Cowgirls: Can't see it unless the Dak things goes south quickly.

49ers: Yes, I can see the Niners dealing Jimmy G. back to NE and then going hard after Stafford...they are a concern for me. Their roster is still solid when healthy and they've had a taste.

Carolina: Yes, their coach is on record of not being sold on Teddy, that makes them instant threats to go hard after Stafford to team with McCaffery. 

Las Vegas: Maybe. Don't ever sleep on Gruden, especially after their collapse this season. He could offer up Carr and a nice pick.

Bears: How can they not go after Stafford. Yes, I think the Bears will try but won't succeed as Detroit won't trade Stafford within the division.

Houston: Doubtful. Can't see Watson agreeing to this and can't see Houston getting enough in return from a rebuilding Detroit. 

WFT: Absolutely, I can see RR and company going deep into a bidding war for Stafford. No team in the league is more in need of QB stability than the WFT.

- There you have it from my perspective, 6 teams in my opinion that will be big players for Stafford. Therefore, I expect it will take a 1st round pick and more to land him, likely a 1st, 2nd, and maybe another pick or player. Someone is gonna overpay but be happy they got him. Just my opinion. I see Miami, Indy and SF being the biggest players...especially if Miami isn't sold on Tua and I don't know how they feel about him but I'm betting they'll stand by him. All this being said, if the WFT wants Stafford I think there's a good chance they get him. 

See HigSkin's post above from Allbright.  He puts it at 2 1st and a 3rd.  

Just now, RWJ said:

See HigSkin's post above from Allbright.  He puts it at 2 1st and a 3rd.  

I can see that, no doubt. Detroit must know that there are multiple legit playoff roster teams without a stud QB so they can and will ask for a lot. They are gonna make out well if they don't screw things up.