Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is thw worst you have been scammed?

gbear

Not sure if this counts as a scam since I didn’t lose any money, only some pride.

Wife and I were at an amusement park about 10 years ago probably.  We were sitting down to eat and a group of kids all wearing Make-A-Wish shirts sat next to us.  I told the wife about an article I read that some kid was scamming the foundation into bankruptcy by exploiting a loop hole in their bylaws.  The kid kept wishing for more wishes and then getting all of this ridiculously expensive stuff.  The Chairmen or whatever of Make-A-Wish did an interview explaining the situation and saying that as sad as it was, it would be better off if the kid just died.  The wife was mortified and telling me to be quiet.  I kept explaining to her how it was okay because the kids next to us probably wanted that kid to die too.  She was quite upset with me and ended up walking off.  I pulled up the story to show her what I was talking about.  Unfortunately, I was not familiar with this particular news source before.  Link to the story below.  ***Wife still doesn’t like to talk about it.

https://www.theonion.com/child-bankrupts-make-a-wish-foundation-with-wish-for-un-1819594682

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not sure if this counts as a scam since I didn’t lose any money, only some pride.

Wife and I were at an amusement park about 10 years ago probably.  We were sitting down to eat and a group of kids all wearing Make-A-Wish shirts sat next to us.  I told the wife about an article I read that some kid was scamming the foundation into bankruptcy by exploiting a loop hole in their bylaws.  The kid kept wishing for more wishes and then getting all of this ridiculously expensive stuff.  The Chairmen or whatever of Make-A-Wish did an interview explaining the situation and saying that as sad as it was, it would be better off if the kid just died.  The wife was mortified and telling me to be quiet.  I kept explaining to her how it was okay because the kids next to us probably wanted that kid to die too.  She was quite upset with me and ended up walking off.  I pulled up the story to show her what I was talking about.  Unfortunately, I was not familiar with this particular news source before.  Link to the story below.  ***Wife still doesn’t like to talk about it.

https://www.theonion.com/child-bankrupts-make-a-wish-foundation-with-wish-for-un-1819594682

Your first clue should have been that it's the "Make a Wish Foundation", not the "Make an Unlimited Amount of Wishes Foundation".

Has anybody gotten the "I'm an officer from the Social Security Administration" call?  I've gotten that one a couple of times, always on my cell phone.  It's always some guy with an Indian or Pakistani accent. The last time, about a month ago, I had some fun with it.  I was loading my car after shopping at Costco when the phone rang. 

In that heavy accent he gave his name, Officer something something [very American sounding, like John Peterson which, given his thick accent, almost made me laugh right off the bat.  He said that my Social Security had been used to rent a car that was found abandoned on the border with Mexico loaded with drugs and guns and I was subject to arrest for violation of Federal Law blahbidy blah blah.  It was then that I decided I would keep him on the call for the whole ride home.  Better to keep him busy so he's not scamming someone else.

He asked for my name just as I was loading the last item into the car, a case of Premiere Protein drinks, so I told him, in a weak, frail sounding voice "George Proteen." 

"Okay Mr. Proteen, what is the last four digits of your Social Security number?"  I told him 1299 ($12.99 is the price of the two-pound bag of Costco coffee beans.) He proceeded to bully who he thought was a scared old man for the next 10 to 12 minutes.  He told me to write down the case number, and I got it wrong each time he told me, until the fourth time I repeated it back to him wrong he just said "Yes, that's it."

Toward the end, in a frail, scared sounding voice I told him I don't sell drugs, I've never been to southern Texas, and I haven't rented a car in a long time.  He asked me "Who do you know that might have done this with your Social Security Number?  My voice changed back to normal as I pulled onto my street and I said "Oh I don't know.  Maybe yo mama, you ****ing asshole."

*Click*

44 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If someone is asking "money for something" my reaction is to give them the something instead of the money.   Like people outside a grocery store asking for money for groceries.  I will ask them what they need and offer to go in and buy it for them.  With the gas station scam, I would offer to run my CC through the pump.  One time I guy actually took me up on the offer.  in retrospect, probably just a hustle, as he was actually driving a newer car than mine ... but whatever.  Occasionally  I have given money, especially if the person is patient.  I had a long talk with a homeless guy one time, at the end I just gave him straight up cash, as he wasn't pushing me or anything, didn't seem like he was on drugs/alcohol or whatever.  Kind of almost a model homeless person, if that has any meaning.

The homeless near me try to use reverse psychology when it comes to asking for money.  They'll come up and say they're trying to get home but forgot their wallet and will ask for a ride and say they'll pay you.  When you ask where they live it's somewhere really far out of the way so they're banking on you not being willing to give them a ride, but you'll give them a few bucks instead to catch the bus or get a cab.  

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Has anybody gotten the "I'm an officer from the Social Security Administration" call?  I've gotten that one a couple of times, always on my cell phone.  It's always some guy with an Indian or Pakistani accent. The last time, about a month ago, I had some fun with it.  I was loading my car after shopping at Costco when the phone rang. 

The one I got today was that there is a warrant out for my arrest.  It was a recording, so I had to press one "to talk to an officer."  Didn't have time today, but I look forward to getting that call again. :)

Archived