Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explosion in Beirut

for comparison purposes Timothy mcvay used about 1 ton for the OKC bombing. He used some other stuff but the primary source for the blast was ammonium nitrate (fertilizer)

he has 40 50 lbs bags. About 1 ton

They’re saying this was 2700 tons....

Unfortunately if it was ammonium nitrate then there’s going to be a lot more deaths and injuries. Deaths from being exposed to the chemicals in the air. Probably a lot of long term health problems. :(

think Chernobyl when people hung around and just watched (except not for radioactive reasons)

New government narrative:

2750 tons of ammonium nitrate were stored improperly for 6 years

seems like a lot of something to store in a city for a long time and not do anything with.  

at least it makes more sense than fireworks storage 🙄

57 minutes ago, tshile said:

for comparison purposes Timothy mcvay used about 1 ton for the OKC bombing. He used some other stuff but the primary source for the blast was ammonium nitrate (fertilizer)

he has 40 50 lbs bags. About 1 ton

They’re saying this was 2700 tons....

Explains the buildings in the immediate blast radius looking like something out of Independence Day. Just completely hollowed out.

32 minutes ago, tshile said:

That’s seems like an unbelievably large bomb.  The OKC bombing was around 3-4 tons of explosives, mostly ammonium nitrate IIRC.  

Of course I know nothing about explosives so I don’t know how significant the other ingredients that go into making explosives are.  

I feel really sorry for the people, the country is ifacing an economic turmoil and now this. I have a friend, her daughter's appartment was hit by the blast, all the windows were shattered.  Her appartment is 2 kms away from the blast site !

Yeah I was reading last night that they import about 84% of their wheat and were already having problems with food shortages, and now this explosion destroyed their ability to offload shipments. The general opinion I was reading was that this is going to wreck their food and economic situation. 

what’s weird is that the media wasn’t even paying attention to this. I turned on cable news a few times yesterday and last night and saw nothing on it. Foxnews was pushing hannity’s new book and everyone else was running with the whole “trump is bad look what he did today” stuff. It quickly dropped from trending categories. 

This one just fell off the radar for main stream news. I thought it was weird. 

Apparently its perfectly normal to store that amount of ammonium nitrate in one place.  Newcastle, England has an even-larger stockpile.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/lebanon-blast-alarms-nsw-residents-living-near-ammonium-nitrate-stockpiles-20200805-p55iwr.html

Lebanon blast alarms NSW residents living near ammonium nitrate stockpiles

"The two proposed storage plants near Newcastle’s CBD could together stockpile 15 times the amount of ammonium nitrate believed to have triggered the blast in Beirut, which has killed at least 100 people."

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

BTW, how irresponsible was it for President Dip**** to announce that the Beirut explosion was "an attack" right in the aftermath of the blast. 

"I don't take responsibility at all."

-The guy with the highest amount of responsibility bestowed upon an American.

20 hours ago, tshile said:

New government narrative:

seems like a lot of something to store in a city for a long time and not do anything with.  

at least it makes more sense than fireworks storage 🙄

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/officials-knew-danger-beirut-port-years-200805032416684.html

This article details why the ammonium nitrate was there in the first place and essentially how bad governing meant it never got moved.

They tried numerous times to get it removed

Months later, on June 27, 2014, then-director of Lebanese Customs Shafik Merhi sent a letter addressed to an unnamed "Urgent Matters judge", asking for a solution to the cargo, according to documents shared online.

Customs officials sent at least five more letters over the next three years - on December 5, 2014, May 6, 2015, May 20, 2016, October 13, 2016, and October 27, 2017 - asking for guidance and warning that the material posed a danger, Badri Daher, the current director of Lebanese Customs, told broadcaster LBCI on Wednesday.

They proposed three options: Export the ammonium nitrate, hand it over to the Lebanese Army, or sell it to the privately-owned Lebanese Explosives Company.

Archived