Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

It’s easy to view teachers just as this person that teaches your child. It’s easy to not even think they’re people going to work just like you, and have the same dumb bull**** going on in their life just like you. 

Due to our house getting covid everyone’s home and I get to see school. And today the teacher had a bad day working from home, and while I felt bad for her I also couldn’t help but chuckle to thinking “hah that’s right she’s got the same dumb bull**** going on over there too”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xameil said:

Almost my entire family are teachers of all levels except college. I am well aware of what "extra" they do....trust me...most people I know who don't teach and get paid less...do more work for more months. 

I'm kinda tired of hearing that argument to be honest...I can counter each one of your points with others professions having to deal with the same thing for much lower salary, especially when you consider the 3 month break.

Now...I'm not saying all teachers are overpaid..in fact some of the salaries down south are absurdly low. Some districts around me are right in line...

You are the one that said they work 8 hours a day. I’m glad we can agree you were wrong about that.

which professions.  You are making a lot of generalizations...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You are the one that said they work 8 hours a day. I’m glad we can agree you were wrong about that.

which professions.  You are making a lot of generalizations...

I don't think I ever said teachers don't work 8 hours a day...did I? 

Really? I meed to list em all out?

Police officers, soldiers, waitresses, nurses, pretty much any American who works at least 5 days a week for an entire year...

Edited by Xameil

21 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yeah...I know for a fact they do....at least most of the teachers I know...so your argument is invalid...

Lol wow be original...

Listen you're not going to change my mind...I don't agree with you, you won't with me..which is fine...

But fact is even IF a teacher works 10 hours a day it doesn't justify 95k a year and 3 months off..which is what one of my relatives gets for teaching 7th graders....oh and she doesn't work 10 hours a day....maybe 8...

My uncle....he worked more then 8 hours a day because he was a coach. My aunt...no way she even worked 8 hours. My cousin....she may but she doesn't get paid as much as the others. The school she works for, the school would rather put the money into the students...not the teachers.  

My other aunt...an art teacher...again not even close to 8 hours a day and no way deserved what she was paid....

Oh..and don't even get me started on tenure...

Now..all that being said...I did say some teachers are not overpaid...but you may have missed that part...

12 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Lol wow be original...

Listen you're not going to change my mind...I don't agree with you, you won't with me..which is fine...

But fact is even IF a teacher works 10 hours a day it doesn't justify 95k a year and 3 months off..which is what one of my relatives gets for teaching 7th graders....oh and she doesn't work 10 hours a day....maybe 8...

My uncle....he worked more then 8 hours a day because he was a coach. My aunt...no way she even worked 8 hours. My cousin....she may but she doesn't get paid as much as the others. The school she works for, the school would rather put the money into the students...not the teachers.  

My other aunt...an art teacher...again not even close to 8 hours a day and no way deserved what she was paid....

Oh..and don't even get me started on tenure...

Now..all that being said...I did say some teachers are not overpaid...but you may have missed that part...

Have you considered the possibility that your family is just a bunch of lazy teachers?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Have you considered the possibility that your family is just a bunch of lazy teachers?

Lol I have ...but I know more that are the same way..

Now, I also know alot that were amazing teachers. But still don't think 95k a year for 9 months of work and 8 hours a day is justified.

I also say the teachers in my daughters district are paid appropriately. I feel that district thinks of the kids first.

The school I went to...the one most of my relatives teach at....not so much. Most of the teachers there, its them first then the kids.

I have never painted my argument with a broad brush, in fact I have made sure I said its not the same for all, that some are underpaid.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How much money is the person who helps determine the future of my kid worth? Hmmm..... 

How much do they care about those students if they go on strike and ignore a students needs....so they don't have to work extra hours?

Or if they refuse to do online learning during a snow day because they want an extra day off...

Even In COVID-19 Hot Spots, Many Colleges Aren't Aggressively Testing Students

Of the colleges and universities that have chosen to hold classes in person this fall, most are not conducting widespread testing of their students for the coronavirus, an NPR analysis has found. With only weeks remaining before many of those schools plan to send students home for the end of the semester, the findings raise concerns that communities around the U.S. could be exposed to new outbreaks.

The data from more than 1,400 colleges were compiled by the College Crisis Initiative at Davidson College and analyzed by NPR. They show that more than 2 out of 3 colleges with in-person classes either have no clear testing plan or are testing only students who are at risk — mostly when they feel sick or have had contact with someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Click on the link for interactive graph and the full article

Pleased to see that my son's university is among the few the regularly test all students.  That $70K a year is paying for something at least.

Edited by China

We got a email last night for our school. 

Pre-K through Kindergarten will start back up 5 days in two weeks and grades 1-4 a week after that. 

They haven’t decided how they want to incorporate 5-12 back on campus. I’m not sure how I feel about it honestly. The hybrid format was working and reduced risk pretty well but especially the young kids need the in person. 

• Sad 2

So, kids are home as the family isolates from society for two weeks. 

first thing I noticed: there’s no way this is going well for my kindergartener at day care. He’s been doing this since August. There should be some sort of engrained behavior. And what I’m seeing is absurd. This kid has zero positive going on in regards to “how to be a student. “

wife and I had a serious conversation last night about the direction we need to take this. Which was basically seeking out help from an expert. I took the whole day off to do school today with him. 

so... here’s the deal. Mother****er is exactly like me. 

It’s 8:50 am and we finished the entire day of instruction in 25 minutes. This would probably be 2.5 hours of virtual classroom work today, we did it in 25 minutes. Well, he did it, at his own pace, and it took 25 minutes. Well, minus the scavenger hunt we’re getting ready to go outside and do.

We’re working on sight words but he cannot read yet. He can finish the worksheets before I read the instructions to him. It’s not like he’s reading the instructions. During class the other days he doesn’t pay any attention but when the teacher calls on him he gives the right answer. He completes all his work but he fiddles around and horses around and doesn’t pay any attention during class. It’s been a real problem. It’s a disaster from the perspective of being a parent and how you expect your child be during school. 

but he’s just like me. He knows enough already that he can not pay attention but still get by. He can complete his work well enough. He can answer questions well enough. But he’s not actually paying attention because he’s bored and he’s not actually learning because of that. For me this translated into an academic life of always underachieving. I literally operated most of highschool and the first few years of college under the mindset of: what % of my homework must i complete in order to get a passing grade at the end of the class if I get A’s on the tests? Usually it was like 20-40% of the homework. So I did 20-40% of the homework. And got C’s and B-‘s as final grades for classes I got A’s on tests. I had a few teachers express their... confusion over my strategy. 

so now I gotta figure out how to fix that. Cause I’m a huge under achiever and it’s actually kind of embarrassing as an adult lol. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

So, kids are home as the family isolates from society for two weeks. 

first thing I noticed: there’s no way this is going well for my kindergartener at day care. He’s been doing this since August. There should be some sort of engrained behavior. And what I’m seeing is absurd. This kid has zero positive going on in regards to “how to be a student. “

wife and I had a serious conversation last night about the direction we need to take this. Which was basically seeking out help from an expert. I took the whole day off to do school today with him. 

so... here’s the deal. Mother****er is exactly like me. 

It’s 8:50 am and we finished the entire day of instruction in 25 minutes. This would probably be 2.5 hours of virtual classroom work today, we did it in 25 minutes. Well, he did it, at his own pace, and it took 25 minutes. Well, minus the scavenger hunt we’re getting ready to go outside and do.

We’re working on sight words but he cannot read yet. He can finish the worksheets before I read the instructions to him. It’s not like he’s reading the instructions. During class the other days he doesn’t pay any attention but when the teacher calls on him he gives the right answer. He completes all his work but he fiddles around and horses around and doesn’t pay any attention during class. It’s been a real problem. It’s a disaster from the perspective of being a parent and how you expect your child be during school. 

but he’s just like me. He knows enough already that he can not pay attention but still get by. He can complete his work well enough. He can answer questions well enough. But he’s not actually paying attention because he’s bored and he’s not actually learning because of that. For me this translated into an academic life of always underachieving. I literally operated most of highschool and the first few years of college under the mindset of: what % of my homework must i complete in order to get a passing grade at the end of the class if I get A’s on the tests? Usually it was like 20-40% of the homework. So I did 20-40% of the homework. And got C’s and B-‘s as final grades for classes I got A’s on tests. I had a few teachers express their... confusion over my strategy. 

so now I gotta figure out how to fix that. Cause I’m a huge under achiever and it’s actually kind of embarrassing as an adult lol. 

We are homeschooling our kindergartner. I do math and science. In K math, they are teaching the numbers 1-9 and tally marks and groups. Meanwhile my dude is over hear doing addition of numbers in the tens (and hundreds if they are even). I feel like he’s way ahead but I’m going with these guides.

• Like 1

I wonder if some people in charge ever think about what their plans look like when implemented. Case and point, Anne Arundel County is opening elemementary schools, including pre-k. They tell parents not to worry because they will enforce social distancing. The kids need to bring their chrome books because classes will still be taught on them. They have removed toys from the claasrooms because of their potential to spread COVID.

Now I am imagining the 5 year olds in a classroom with no toys, unable to go near anyone else there, staring at a chrome book thinking I just want to go back home schooling. At least then I could play during my breaks. This sounds like caging the kids so parents can work.

Now for the older elementary kids, they offer hybrid or full distance learning. Fair warning on the hybrid is the teacher for the distance part is likely to be different from the one in person. Note, there is no explanation how an aid will work with students in the classrooms and still keep distance (think of my daughter who can't see the screen to switch from class to class or item to item). Finally, the pods idea falls apart when it comes to teachers having to move from class to class. For example, the PE or art teachers are not the regular English and Math teachers. There movement provides another contagion vector.

Maybe the planner might have foreseen some of these problem if they consulted the teachers before going directly to the parents. Teachers should not have learned about this from us. 

I get it. It is all about the 10 million dollars schools get if they open up in person. Maybe the dunderheads who pushed that should have thought about the dangers chronically underfunded schools will try to push past to get the needed funding. How much better might that money be spent to make distance learning work or make the schools safe enough to enter by doing things like updating ventilation systems (that I see few talking about despite our old school building functioning like a Petri dish in the best of times).

Also worth noting all the private schools in the area have had atleast on covid case despite what appear to be best efforts. They are just not reporting it. We know this from families attending them.

Edited by gbear

21 minutes ago, gbear said:

This sounds like caging the kids so parents can work.

that’s because it’s certainly an element of it, even if it’s not intended in a malicious way. 

I would prefer to take over the teaching role for my child. I think that’s the best thing for him at the moment. To do that I would have to quit my job. We’ve discussed it. We’ve considered it. It’s always on the table as option. But currently we are not willing to exercise it. It would be a huge life changing decision. 

so our next option is to let daycare run it for us. I’m convinced that is not working in the slightest based on my observations this week. I would consider this a failure. 

what you describe has to be better. Not good. Not something I want. But better that what I currently have. 

but yea the fact that I need to work is a key part of it all. And if my son was older, and I thought it had should be happening was way more important, I would quit my job in a heartbeat. But not for kindergarten where the main issue seems to be that he’s somewhat ahead and therefore uninterested and therefore missing the things he doesn’t know. 

edit: and we’re lucky we have the ability to consider giving up an income, even if we have so far decided not to. There are plenty of people that can’t because that would mean financial ruin on some level (even if it’s just trashing your credit and having a car repo’d or something)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Springfield said:

America: Set up society so that a two person (plus)household is required to pay the bills in order live.

Also America: How come you can’t take care of your own kids during a pandemic???

I’ve proposed adding another woman to the mix. 2 income plus caretaker. 

apparently I need to revamp my pitch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

America: Set up society so that a two person (plus)household is required to pay the bills in order live.

Also America: How come you can’t take care of your own kids during a pandemic???

If many feel that way, they should have REALLY looked into Elizabeth Warren before the primary. IMO, if she got elected president with a Dem house and Senate, we would've seen dramatic paradigm shifts in middle and lower class American lives in the positive direction.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 11:11 PM, Xameil said:

Now, I also know alot that were amazing teachers. But still don't think 95k a year for 9 months of work and 8 hours a day is justified.

maybe the fact that the economy apparently needs them to work in order to properly function is a sign that teachers aren't, in fact, overpaid for 10 months of work (mid-August to mid-June.  also, $100k teachers aren't the norm; those would be teachers in wealthy districts at the end of their career and at the top of their pay scale.  

just sayin'

Edited by dchogs
  • Like 1