Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

My favorite is the anne Arundel school board voted 5 to 3 last night to reopen elementary schools. All five who voted to open do not have kids in public schools. 

But wait, there is more. They agreed on the metric to go back to virtual learning if anne arundel went above 10 cases per 100,000 people.  As of today, we are at 10.1. The real question is whether they will stick with their own vote and leave to all virtual. My texts and emails announcing the imminent return to school for my kids makes me doubt.  😞

I want to trust them to do things responsibly, but I think their eyes glaze at the thought of state dollars for opening.

As if on cue, since Monday 4 school districts around me have started reporting their first cases. As things go, I imagine there'll be a trickle for a week or two. Then. Firehose.

• Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Parents fear 'mom code' will keep COVID-19 numbers artificially low in Utah schools

More than 1 million COVID-19 tests have now been administered in Utah during the pandemic.

With a current 15.5% positivity rate, state health officials are desperate to slow the spread of the virus.

Several people who spoke with KATU say there are a groups of parents who are refusing to allow their kids to be tested for COVID-19 in an attempt to keep schools open and avoid quarantines.

“Parents are saying, ‘let’s not test’, just so they don’t have to worry about shutting down the sports teams,” said Genevra Prothero, a parent in the Davis School District. “I think that it is absolutely a disgrace.”

Screen grabs provided to KATU from several parent Facebook groups in Utah school districts show what Prothero is referencing.

“Please STOP getting tested!!! It is 100% unnecessary,” reads one post.

If your child shows Covid symptoms, keep them home but DO NOT test ... If everyone would follow that the schools could stay open,” reads another.

Click on the link for the full article

Nothing says "concerned parent" like "please let's everybody conspire to conceal the extent of the epidemic, so that I can send my kids to a school that's full of untested kids.  It's better than having them at home."  

• Like 2

Colleges are slashing tuition to entice students back

With enrollment numbers plunging, some colleges and universities are taking an aggressive approach to lure students back.

One school is slashing the price for first year students to zero.

Amid the coronavirus and economic downturn, financial constraints have finally put a limit on what families can afford to pay, while many also contend that remote learning is just not worth the same as face-to-face instruction — causing some would-be college students to rethink their plans altogether. 

As campuses shut down due to Covid-19, a growing list of universities, including Princeton, Georgetown and Johns Hopkins, offered a 10% discount on tuition for students studying remotely to account for changes in the college experience.

Williams College in Massachusetts and Hampton University in Virginia reduced tuition and fees by 15% for the current academic year.  

My 5 year old daughter has been learning remotely this year.  The public school is in Baltimore County.  The teacher appears to be doing a damn good job.  

Of course, she is not able to play with friends, but it is working well.  Classes are full time. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fauquier County Students to Return to Class Monday

For the first time in eight months, about 7,000 students in Fauquier County will be heading back to school in person on Monday.

The school district will be among the first in Northern Virginia to bring all grades back into the buildings at once, instead of phasing them in. In-person learning will resume using a hybrid model, meaning students will attend class two days per week in shifts, so only a small group is in each classroom at a time.

It’s a hybrid model up here. Cases weren’t going crazy and they have been pretty good with their policies. The kids have 2 days in school, 3 days virtual and the school is closed to students on Wednesdays.

The only case spikes have occurred recently, most of which I am under the impression are from Halloween parties. And none of the cases have stemmed from in class learning so far. 

Of course, allowing every kid back in school at the same time would probably change that dynamic.

It would be nice if people could keep their party vibes in check and not get into huge gatherings so that we can get back to life. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2