Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Schedule Leaks/Prediction Thread

redrobert

On 5/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, hail2skins said:

Again, folks can grouse about being disrespected somewhat because of the lack of primetime games, but there were a few recent seasons (2014-17 come to mind) where the Skins were an average to horrible team and were still getting 3-4 primetime games per season. That really wasn't warranted either. 

I think the idea of "warranted" is part of the issue with a lot of fans. These decisions aren't made to reward teams...they are made strictly based on expected interest. So, even a bad team with a loyal following (or cool story lines) might "warrant" prime time games.

The fact that the Redskins got zero this year speaks volumes...not about respect from the league or any of those talking points, but about how far this organization has fallen when it comes to fan interest. No one cares to tune in to watch the Redskins outside of a few of us. 

Why would any Redskin fan WANT primetime games? Are you a masochist? We have done terribly in them, not just losing but almost always losing by double digits.

And the fact is, this team has zero nationwide interest. Even some bad teams like the Giants or Cardinals have breathtaking talents to watch like Barkley or Murray. We don't have anyone(please don't say McLaurin, he doesn't have anywhere near that level of buzz, and Chase Young hasn't played a down in the league yet and he's a defensive guy so he's not gonna generate that anyway).

Give me 16 1 PM Sunday games a year, I'm good with that.

28 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

hese decisions aren't made to reward teams...they are made strictly based on expected interest. So, even a bad team with a loyal following (or cool story lines) might "warrant" prime time games.

In those years, even while local interest was somewhat down, it hadn’t cratered.  It started cratering in 2018 and went full blown asteroid extinction level crater in 2019.

look at the local numbers for early 2019.  They were horrid.  

There is no way a network wants to put a team that can’t even draw eyeballs locally in a nationally televised time slot 

7 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

I just dont get how pundits or even worse Skins fans can be pessimistic about this team? I understand. We've been there before. We've been burnt by optimism.

But if you're looking at potential from a talent standpoint (players, coaching staff and system), optimism cannot be ignored. Cautious or not. Simply saying they're going to be a 3 win team because of the woes we've been accustomed to is silly.

This defense has the potential to be a league top unit. This offense has a chance to be special as well. Not necessarily a  high powered take the top off offense but one that is slow and methodical. One in which we should be able to move the ball down the field with an intermediate passing/game by creating mismatches and pound it out with Guice and AP. One that resembles BB and the Patriots.

We should be able to create mismatches all over the field. The dynamic versitlity of McLaurin, Sims and Gibson will be a nightmare to try to contain. Add in the possession types of AGG, Harmon and Logan Thomas/Moss and our rushing attack.

If DH can play within the system and we can keep him clean, how can anyone not see the floor at 7 wins?

The way they played in the second half of last season makes me think that they should absolutely win more than 5 games.

However, the fact that we have been burned by optimism before and that I think fans tend to overrate the talent on their team makes it hard for me to predict more than 7 wins.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

This team has the talent to do better than 3-13. I will not expect much in 2020, but I expect better than what was shown last yr ear, or that will be Strike 1 for Rivera, in my book

This is fair with one exception. This Covid 19 situation puts every “new” head coach at a distinct disadvantage.  

That said I do believe with our coaches and scheme we will likely pick up at least 2 additional wins this year. 6-10 is a reasonable goal.

Without The “any given Sunday” factor, I’m seeing 7 winnable games on the schedule.  I eliminated any teams that have a QB that has taken their team to the playoffs. That leaves us with the following “possible wins”:

1. Cardinals

2. Browns

3. Lions

4. Bengals

5. Giants

6. Giants

7. Panthers

Assuming we split with the Giants and beat all but one of the others we’ll have 5 wins. Add in one “any given Sunday” game and I’ve got our max win total at 6 this year.  I personally think the vegas win total of 5.5 is spot on. Could see us ending up on either side of it, but not by a large margin in either direction. 

For me, this season won’t be about our record. As long as we are more competitive and show a tougher overall team mentality, I’ll be satisfied.   If that happens, I’ll prepare my big gulp of Kool Aid for the 2021 season. 

Realistically, 5-6 wins.  If we end up 4-12 or worse; doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad thing.  We could have that record and be a much better team.  We are going behind the 8-ball if there can't be much or a training camp/preseason.   2020 is establishing culture and finding the players who will become the Riverboat RonSkins.  

A 4 win or less would give us a Top 5 pick probably.  It would only be disappointing if we finish that bad because Dwayne is a bust. That would mean, we would be spending a Top 5 pick on a new QB.

I do wonder if we do end up with a shortened training camp/preseason and an interrupted regular season; does that bode ill or well for coaches on the 2020 hot seat. Will owners be more inclined or less inclined to make a change next winter?

I saw RR in an interview online where he said that the 1st game against the reining division champs will show where they're at.  I believe that and I think they can come out of the gate Week 1 with a victory, they can be competitive all year and possibly have a shot at the playoffs and maybe the division.  

9 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I saw RR in an interview online where he said that the 1st game against the reining division champs will show where they're at.  I believe that and I think they can come out of the gate Week 1 with a victory, they can be competitive all year and possibly have a shot at the playoffs and maybe the division.  

I don't mind that he said that, but I kinda hope that isn't the case. For the longest time, weve been a soft team that peaks early in the season, and keels over by mid-October.

I hope that under Ron we start to build momentum and hit our stride late, and put ourselves in position for favorable seedings.

So I very much expect that we may get blown out in that game, but in no way is that what I envision we will be by Wk 17.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't mind that he said that, but I kinda hope that isn't the case. For the longest time, weve been a soft team that peaks early in the season, and keels over by mid-October

Eh, those were Gruden-coached teams. Get that out of your mind. :)

I don't expect the team to come out looking flat and unprepared as they so often looked in the Gruden era.

Not with Coach Rivera leading them.

I don't know how many games they will win, but I expect them to be more focused and ready come game time.

If the season starts as normal, I just hope they can play well enough in the first, say, four games to come out of that stretch with a decent enough record to get Skins fans fired up enough to support them against the Rams and the Giants as we head into October.

Of course, we don't know what the attendance rules are going to be like with the virus still a wild card, but I'm already resigned to the first two at FedEx (Eagles and Ravens) are going to be like road games. 

13 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Our defense could potentially keep us in the majority of games.  If the offense will pitch in would could leap up to a 8-8 team.  As depressing as 8-8 is it would be a significant improvement.

Compared to 3-13, 8-8 is a dream come true 😂 sign me up!  That’s 5 more Sunday’s that id be able to celebrate a redskins win and watch football the rest of the afternoon with a smile on my face :D 

Any one else kinda in neutral about the season in general?..I mean in neutral as far as getting excited for as what seems to be a season that will start on time. Especially once training camp hits and if cases break out of personell or even players testing positive...I imagine that's all it would take to shut the season down like the nba did and all other sporting events. Either way I think it will make a huge factor on teams and some will respond better than others. I'm staying positive there will be a season,a full season that starts on time..as far as how the team does its soooo way up in the air right now. Am I really hearing things right that alex is striving to make a comeback?

On 5/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, Warhead36 said:

Give me 16 1 PM Sunday games a year, I'm good with that.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely hate going through a sunday with out the redskins playing...I'll watch football..kinda..its on the tv but that's about it...than finally the sunday night game wraps up and now I gotta go all day Monday..uggg..

Why do I absolutely hate the Redskins playing in primetime?...it drives me up a ****ing wall and makes me a grumpy sob all week when the Redskins have one hell of a game on a sunday..hell even two excellent sundays in a row against divisional foes or another good team than go into a primetime game against a winless or close to winless team with a new coach on there 4th string qb with the star left tackle out and still get there ass's handed to them..a chance to take a lead in the division or to even tighten the race in the division and they just absolutely **** the bed..not on a following sunday against a tough opponent but under the lights..against a ****ty team..that's why I hate the redskins in primetime.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

.....? Da **** are you talking about? Who here said it wasn’t good enough😂😂😂

Everyone man..I dont have names written down..but i seen alot of I want more than 8-8..its not good enough..which I understand and respect..but that's what it takes a few years of mediocre records to bust out a 14/12 win season...had the skins done things my way they had won the sb with Gruden. 

29 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wait ..so when Gruden had us at 8-8 or real close to it in consecutive seasons it's not good enough but now it would be?

If you go 3-13/4-12 in season "x," going close to 8-8 the next season is considered good progress by many. However, once you hit 8-8, expectations increase, and continuing to go around 8-8, as Gruden did for four years (9-7/8-7-1/7-9/7-9) from 2015-18 doesn't cut it.  

This holds especially true with older fans who watched the team in the Allen and especially Gibbs seasons. When that schedule came out, you'd predict minimum 10-6 year in and year out without batting an eye.

I worry that this addition of a 7th playoff team is going to dilute the notion of progress even more. Instead of the W-L record being the metric, people will say "we made the playoffs x number years in a row," even if you are making it with 9-7 or 8-8 records. Even recognizing that things are different In the salary cap era, I expect better. 

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

If you go 3-13/4-12 in season "x," going close to 8-8 the next season is considered good progress by many. However, once you hit 8-8, expectations increase, and continuing to go around 8-8, as Gruden did for four years (9-7/8-7-1/7-9/7-9) from 2015-18 doesn't cut it.  

This holds especially true with older fans who watched the team in the Allen and especially Gibbs seasons. When that schedule came out, you'd predict minimum 10-6 year in and year out without batting an eye.

I worry that this addition of a 7th playoff team is going to dilute the notion of progress even more. Instead of the W-L record being the metric, people will say "we made the playoffs x number years in a row," even if you are making it with 9-7 or 8-8 records. Even recognizing that things are different In the salary cap era, I expect better. 

Yes this is true..so..r.r starts out 7-9 than season 2 goes 8-8 and same thing the season after..with devastating injuries that leads to...well the same ole same ole..are we wanting him replaced?..

49 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yes this is true..so..r.r starts out 7-9 than season 2 goes 8-8 and same thing the season after..with devastating injuries that leads to...well the same ole same ole..are we wanting him replaced?..

I think the die was cast for Jay after winning the division his second year. Team was rolling the next year but gakked away what should've been a coast to the playoffs at the end. Team did suffer some injuries early in 2017, but blowing the Saints game and not showing up against the Cowboys and Chargers was a bad look. He did get a bad deal in 2018 when Alex (who had been winning games in a solid if not spectacular manner) went down, followed by Colt.  However, there were no excuses heading into 2019, and unless you had something in the form of previous playoff success or a monster regular season to show for, Jay was just not going to survive the start we had. The team looked terrible.

Every team has injuries, but some (QB) are perceived as much more costly than others. Yes, Riverboat Ron is going to feel the heat from the fanbase if we are still kicking it around or below  .500 even in year 2. I think he will likely get the same amount of time as Jay did, unless he has a truly horrible 3-13/4-12 season in year 2 or beyond. 

On 5/10/2020 at 11:08 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Realistically, 5-6 wins.  If we end up 4-12 or worse; doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad thing.  We could have that record and be a much better team.  We are going behind the 8-ball if there can't be much or a training camp/preseason.   2020 is establishing culture and finding the players who will become the Riverboat RonSkins.  

I understand this in light of how the virus situation is going to impact preparation, but I see this sentiment in general every season and I don't like it.  "Its not about the record"......well, at some point, it IS about the record.  After the Zorn disaster, we brought in high-powered Shanahan, and proceeded to go 6-10 and 5-11 the next two seasons. That was pathetic, perhaps the most disappointing seasons of the Snyder era to me.  I know in the salary-cap era the league is different than in was during Gibbs I, and you can't win the Super Bowl every year, but this team hasn't even been to the semifinal game since 1991. I'm not expecting miracles from RR this particular season (although I don't think 7-9 would be unreasonable), but at some point, we have to demand better. 

Archived