Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I wasn't huge on Brevin Jordan last year, but he's grown on me. I think he could be a target in the 2nd. He's more explosive than what we currently have at TE, and can also line up as an H back or slot. I think we could run some solid 2 TE sets with him and run the ball well and be difficult to defend. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Doesn’t sound far from what I think...

I just don’t think he’s a dude we should covet. The throws he makes when he breaks the pocket are largely due to RPO stuff. I don’t think his arm is any good either. To each their own but he’s not better than Ehlinger, Ahlers or Book in my mind. 

I haven't studied Ehilinger yet but watched him some in real time.  I worry about his accuracy and the dude tends to get banged up.   I haven't studied Book either but have watched him in real time some.   He's a fun watch -- a poor man's Zach Wilson as to how he scrambles around the pocket.  He has some mobility.   I worry about his arm strength.  but he intrigues me more than Ehilinger. 

Ridder IMO is a better runner than both of them.   

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wasn't huge on Brevin Jordan last year, but he's grown on me. I think he could be a target in the 2nd. He's more explosive than what we currently have at TE, and can also line up as an H back or slot. I think we could run some solid 2 TE sets with him and run the ball well and be difficult to defend. 

Yeah Jordan to me is the clear poor man's Kyle Pitts in this draft.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't studied Ehilinger yet but watched him some in real time.  I worry about his accuracy and the dude tends to get banged up.   I haven't studied Book either but have watched him in real time some.   He's a fun watch -- a poor man's Zach Wilson as to how he scrambles around the pocket.  He has some mobility.   I worry about his arm strength.  but he intrigues me more than Ehilinger. 

I'm rewatching QBs now. Starting with lower rated guys/guys I haven't watched.

Right now, here are my rankings of the 5 guys I've re-watched/watched for the first time:

1 Holton Ahlers* East Carolina
2 Ian Book Notre Dame
3 Sam Ehlinger Texas
4 Desmond Ridder Cincy
5 Feleipe Franks Arkansas

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Guy from PFF, I missed his name, was just on 106.7 saying several teams have Wilson over Fields on their boards right now...

I can understand this, to be honest. Fields isn't playing games right now. Same argument about whether Ohio State should make the playoff after playing 6 games total... The sample size isn't there. And to be honest, they shouldn't be in the playoff. The Big Ten screwed them. 

Schools who were in conferences that were proactive and safer shouldn't be taken out of the running because the Big Ten did a horrible job with this.

Fields sample size isn't great right now.

I'm actually semi-curious if he goes back to school. I don't think he does... But it would be interesting. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can understand this, to be honest. Fields isn't playing games right now. Same argument about whether Ohio State should make the playoff after playing 6 games total... The sample size isn't there. And to be honest, they shouldn't be in the playoff. The Big Ten screwed them. 

Schools who were in conferences that were proactive and safer shouldn't be taken out of the running because the Big Ten did a horrible job with this.

Fields sample size isn't great right now.

I'm actually semi-curious if he goes back to school. I don't think he does... But it would be interesting. 

If Fields drops, I'm moving up. 

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I thought he already declared? I could be wrong...it happens from time to time...

Oh maybe he did? Not sure.

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He's one of the two I would move up for if they start to fall. For sure.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Right now, here are my rankings of the 5 guys I've re-watched/watched for the first time:

2 Ian Book Notre Dame
3 Sam Ehlinger Texas
4 Desmond Ridder Cincy

I have never watched Ahlers but will.  I've watched Franks some, I couldn't get into him.    If I am going past the first round I want a dude with serious mobility which I think Ridder has over at least 4 of the QBs you mention, I know nothing about Ahlers.  I do like Book's escapability in the pocket.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have never watched Ahlers but will.  I've watched Franks some, I couldn't get into him.    If I am going past the first round I want a dude with serious mobility which I think Ridder has over at least 4 of the QBs you mention, I know nothing about Ahlers.  I do like Book's escapability in the pocket.

Ridder is a good runner, but takes too many hits and most of his runs are on zone reads and RPO concepts. He won't do that in the NFL. I don't know how much he can create on plays that aren't designed to run and I don't like him as a thrower of the football.

Ehlinger is better in the pocket and similar escapability, but he creates with it.

Book is the same except he's more decisive than Ehlinger (who is less decisive than Ridder). 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you get your move TE in the draft and the no. 2 WR in FA

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ridder is a good runner, but takes too many hits and most of his runs are on zone reads and RPO concepts. He won't do that in the NFL. I don't know how much he can create on plays that aren't designed to run and I don't like him as a thrower of the football.

Ehlinger is better in the pocket and similar escapability, but he creates with it.

Book is the same except he's more decisive than Ehlinger (who is less decisive than Ridder). 

I saw some keepers and scrambles with Ridder.  He has 4.6 speed.  He averages almost double the YPC that Ehlinger and Book did.   I think i've seen enough to know that I don't want Ehlinger.  But I'll watch him more closely.  Book intrigues me a little I'll watch him more closely, too.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw some keepers and scrambles with Ridder.  He has 4.6 speed.  He averages almost double the YPC that Ehlinger and Book did.   I think i've seen enough to know that I don't want Ehlinger.  But I'll watch him more closely.  Book intrigues me a little I'll watch him more closely, too.

I don’t want Ehlinger, either, necessarily.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

2 Ian Book Notre Dame
3 Sam Ehlinger Texas
4 Desmond Ridder Cincy

Watching live football, I have never been a fan of Feleipe Franks

Just now, philibusters said:

Watching live football, I have never been a fan of Feleipe Franks

Yeah he’s not very good.

Keep in mind, as I mentioned, this is only the 5 I’ve watched/rewatched so far. If they aren’t on the list, they aren’t included.

Franks is going to wind up real low.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t want Ehlinger, either, necessarily.

Of those 2nd tier prospects I'd go right now Ridder and then Newman, Mond and Book are really close.    Though they are all major crap shoots IMO.  But I just have a hankering for a mobile dude if i am going crap shoot.

My favorite guy outside the top 4 QBs is easily Mac Jones.  I hate to stress it hard because it would give off the impression that i love the player albeit I don't.  But Mac Jones is my favorite roll of the dice player outside of the top 4 for reasons I've expressed in different posts.    So lol I guess Mac Jones would be my 2nd tier QB man crush relatively speaking.  Ridder thus far is my favorite flier post first round. 

It's always interesting to see early mock drafts.  This one, on Washington Wire, hits many of the perceived needs.  What do you all think of the relative draft pick value for these players?  Are there any that would be a poor fit?
No. 19 — WR DeVonta Smith (Alabama)
No. 51 — QB Mac Jones (Alabama)

No. 74 — CB Deommodore Lenoir (Oregon)

No. 82 — OT Rasheed Walker (Penn State)
No. 114 — LB Monty Rice (Georgia)
No. 146 — S Paris Ford (Pittsburgh)
No. 207 — TE Nick Eubanks (Michigan)
No. 209 — WR Whop Philyor (Indiana)

5 minutes ago, PlayAction said:
It's always interesting to see early mock drafts.  This one, on Washington Wire, hits many of the perceived needs.  What do you all think of the relative draft pick value for these players?  Are there any that would be a poor fit?
No. 19 — WR DeVonta Smith (Alabama)
No. 51 — QB Mac Jones (Alabama)

No. 146 — S Paris Ford (Pittsburgh)

I mostly like it.  I doubt these 3 players go as low as this.  I suspect Devonta goes a little higher.  I think Mac Jones goes in the late first.   Paris Ford in the 2nd but I notice in mocks he's all over the map from late first to late forth. 

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

PFF guy said today (he's not the only one who has said similar things) that he hears some NFL teams have Wilson ranked higher than Fields.

I know some think with Cincy it will be Sewell or bust and will unlikely entertain dropping down in the draft in a trade.  I think they'd be willing to trade.  If I am Cincy I'd want to load up on picks.  But heck right now lets say they aren't willing to trade.  Right now SD is next up and I assume they'd be rolling with Herbert.   My point is the #3 QB in the draft will likely be had in a trade up if things stay on its current course.

It's not easy though to trade up from 19 or lower especially if there is another competing team in the top 10 in on trading up.  Philly had a similar challenge years ago but made multiple trades to move up.   Maybe they can try to do that though not sure how?

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some think with Cincy it will be Sewell or bust and will unlikely entertain dropping down in the draft in a trade.  I think they'd be willing to trade.  If I am Cincy I'd want to load up on picks. 

Man, I don't know about that.  Losing Burrow for the rest of this season is a real cautionary tale for them, IMO.  They've got to shore up that O-Line to protect him, don't they?  Hard for me to see them passing on Sewell.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sheed Walker at 89? Sign me up. That dude is an absolute monster. He MAY be the second best tackle in this draft prospect wise. 

I think he’s a RS Soph though, isn’t he? He may not come out.

I looked up his on-line bio.  I don't think he's mature enough to draft - there's a viral video of him pancaking the DE and then humping him while he's down.  Too much of a head case for me.  

Archived