Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

He built Tesla on government subsidies and wants to complain about the government subsidizing people who are out of work due to the pandemic.

Here's an article from 2015.

Elon Musk’s growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies 

>>

Los Angeles entrepreneur Elon Musk has built a multibillion-dollar fortune running companies that make electric cars, sell solar panels and launch rockets into space.

And he’s built those companies with the help of billions in government subsidies.

Tesla Motors Inc., SolarCity Corp. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., known as SpaceX, together have benefited from an estimated $4.9 billion in government support, according to data compiled by The Times. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot start-ups.<<<<<

49 minutes ago, Springfield said:

He built Tesla on government subsidies and wants to complain about the government subsidizing people who are out of work due to the pandemic.

And still almost went bankrupt trying to make SpaceX, which got us first man flight from US soil in nearly a decade.  Yes, you subsidize that, we gonna have to do that for the New Green Deal if we are serious about it.

He's lost some benefit of the doubt, but he's right to say we shouldn't be depending on congress agreeing to these stimulus checks and have serious conversation on UBI to get through this for citizens.  Companies don't get UBI, they get subsidies.

He's just agreeing with prioritizing UI over Stimulus Checks in a way that people don't take him serious for.  Yes, we've been more of a welfare state for businesses then people lately, but stimulus checks isn't the answer if at any given moment government can't agree on how much or just stop.  

Can imagine UBI would be a mandatory expense program in Federal budget, like Medicaid is, so if we have trouble making ends meet, it would be prioritized.

Edited by Renegade7

On 7/23/2020 at 6:51 AM, redskinss said:

I suggested that unemployment should be full wages.

wouldn't that make the people who don't have a job to go back to whole?

we can argue that wages should increase in this country all day, and I'll agree all day long, I'm just not entirely sure it should be done in the form of multiple (debt exploding) relief packages, but my opinion is definitely swaying based on some good points I've read.

Someone else touched on this point but I want to go into it a little further. So like you, the Grand Oligarch’s Party is all worried about the debt all of a sudden. However, all they needed to poo poo the debt when it came to tax cuts for the rich was the lie that it would pay for itself... even though that has never happened with any previous tax cuts. Would it help change your mind if I lied and said that this program would pay for itself? If not, assuming you bought the tax cut lie, ask yourself why you were more willing to believe one and not the other even though the first lie wouldn’t benefit you and the second probably would. 

On 7/23/2020 at 1:26 PM, goskins10 said:

And who is politicizing this? And why is it a package???  The GOP wants to provide cover for businesses who force employees back "or else" and if they get sick on the job, too ****ing bad!! Pelosi needs to stand her ground on this one. She is offering a UI extension by itself which is what it should be since they cannot agree on a bigger deal. GOP trying to screw people over and then blame the Dems!!  Low life scum every one of them. 

Whether it was stated the or not, I think part of the excess generosity in the program IMO was designed to incentivize people to stay at home. Because ‘Muricuns are so brainwashed about working to enrich their corporate devil overlords and cabin fever and social isolation, if you only get them back to baseline many, maybe most people will choose to go back to work anyway. The extra $ is essentially paying people to do the right thing. In this case the right thing is to stay safe and keep others safe in the process.

As for the people working in essential jobs, large, profitable companies need to be forced to cough up money for hazard pay. The Feds could cover it for smaller companies and healthcare providers. If larger companies decide they’ll lay people off to avoid paying extra, then the Defense Production Act should be invoked to force them to maintain prior levels of production. 

As for the “sucks for you if you get sick” angle, what else would you expect from the so-called right to life party? Besides, having people risk their lives for a few sheckles is what Jesus would do.

22 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

They probably do have people on payroll, they most likely don't do any work and delegate everything to these unpaid volunteers. Basically "Church" admin will pay themselves.

This is how many churches, especially the mega churches, operate during normal times so why stop the gravy train now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I would pay to sit in those GOP meetings while they try to explain their logic.

The cynic in me wants to point out that is probably how you get to sit in on those meetings in the first place.😜

Edited by gbear
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

^^Doesn't this have something to do with White House Occupant's hotel near the existing FBI building?

Edit: Ah yes...now I remember. He wants it to remain fed land so no competitor can build there. 

Maybe pelosi is trading this for $600/wk fed money.

President Trump intervened in a big federal building project to help protect business for his hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue, a group of House Democrats alleged on Thursday.

Trump wants to demolish and rebuild the FBI's headquarters, the Democrats say, to preserve the site's government ownership and deny any potential competitors to the Trump International Hotel at the Old Post Office Pavilion up the street.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/18/658509261/trump-intervened-in-fbi-hq-project-to-protect-his-hotel-democrats-allege

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So basically a round about way to force people's hand back to their low wage jobs while at the same time taking all liability away from those companies that are likely going to prioritize productivity and bottom line over protecting their own work force.  Sounds about right............wing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1