Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

COVID-19 survey ended in Minnesota after health officials face confrontations, racial slurs

A survey focusing on COVID-19 has ended in Minnesota after multiple survey teams were confronted by residents in towns across the state, according to Dan Huff, an assistant commissioner with the Minnesota Department of Health. 

Huff said the incidents led the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to withdraw teams from the Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response (CASPER) project. The CASPER surveys were meant to build a better understanding of how COVID-19 is spreading in the state and how it is affecting its residents. 

According to Huff, CASPER teams with people of color were subjected to racial slurs while in the field.

Huff also reported an incident in Eitzen on Sept. 15 where a CASPER team was surrounded by three men, one of whom was armed. During the incident, the three men refused to accept their identification as public health workers. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Good news for VA as far as I'm concerned. R0 number is less than 1.0 statewide for a second week in a row. At this rate, we will see case load to decrease. Hope that going into the fall seasons we can keep it up.

Schools seem to be opening up across nova. We’ll see what that does to things...

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Schools seem to be opening up across nova. We’ll see what that does to things...

I only really pay attention to Fairfax County and so far it’s still virtual aside from the very few students that they’ve decided to do in person with. I think I read that they were special needs children.

But, let’s open everything in Florida up. Mask wearing is a choice. Kids need to be in school to learn. I’ll be sitting here in my insular bubble, testing everyone who gets within 10 feet of me, watching.

-Ron DeSantis

I don’t think there’s anything even Jumbo could think of that I wouldn’t like to see done to this asshole.

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Visionary's Tweet about the sign language ruling:

You know this will piss off Trump. When Governor Wolf in PA is speaking, I find myself watching the signer more than I am him. Can you imagine if the signer becomes more notorious than Trump? It'll eat him alive.

• Haha 4

Positive COVID-19 test rates top 25% in some U.S. Midwest states

(Reuters) - The number of tests coming back positive for COVID-19 is topping 25% in several states in the U.S. Midwest as cases and hospitalizations also surge in the region, according to a Reuters analysis.

North Dakota’s positive test rate has averaged 30% over the past seven days compared with 6% the prior week. The positivity rate has risen to 26% in South Dakota, up from 17% the previous week, according to the analysis using testing data from The COVID Tracking Project.

Minnesota and Montana are averaging 7% of tests coming back positive, but Montana’s positivity rate rose on Sunday to 20%, according to the analysis.

The World Health Organization considers rates above 5% concerning because it suggests there are more cases in the community that have not yet been uncovered.

Several states such as New York, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine have positive test rates of less than 1%.

• Sad 1

Beijing orders importers to avoid frozen food from countries with major coronavirus outbreaks

Authorities in the Chinese capital Beijing have ordered importers to avoid frozen food from countries suffering severe coronavirus outbreaks after several incidents of imported seafood testing positive for the virus.

According to a statement from the Beijing Municipal Commerce Bureau, "customs and local governments have repeatedly detected the coronavirus in imported cold chain food, proving it risks contamination."

The bureau urged importers to closely monitor the pandemic situation around the world and "take the initiative to avoid importing cold chain foods from areas severely hit by the pandemic." Companies are also instructed to improve their warnings and reporting mechanisms, and to inform authorities quickly if products test positive.

Health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), have said the possibility of catching the coronavirus through food is low, but China, which has largely stamped out domestic transmission of the virus, is on high alert for possible re-contamination.

In June, China suspended poultry imports from a Tyson Foods plant in the United States because of concerns about an outbreak of coronavirus at the facility.