Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Someone asked if they should take aspirin... i would say yes since an individual is more likely to die from heart disease than corona virus....

Ok, but that’s also not true.  Any random individual with no family history of heart disease is certainly at far greater risk of COVID-related disability than heart disease, right now.  That should be obvious, so don’t get lost in semantics and ego.

You’ve grown a lot as a poster in the last few months.  Don’t stop now...

• Like 2

I’m wanting to take the compliment and let it go @TryTheBeal! but, aren’t the people at most risk for covid related complications people who have underlying medical conditions like heart disease??? And would you take an aspirin regiment if you didn’t have underlying history of heart issues?  At the risk of sounding thick...

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

5 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Yeah, the 800k was wrong to begin with. To add to that, we’re in mid July and closing on 140k COVID deaths, and that’s not counting the excess pneumonia deaths we can’t explain. And I’d be willing to bet money we’ll easily top 200k covid deaths this year.

if I found a way to prevent 200k heart disease deaths in the us annually, I’d be on the short list for a Nobel prize. But I’m supposed to believe that the same number of covid deaths is media hysteria.

Let’s not get focused down on “deaths”.  That’s what Cowgirl wants to happen with her comment.  Then we can bog down the discourse with useless statistics.

Our society, our economy, our humanity is built upon consistent outcomes.  Heart Disease is one of those predictable, consistent outcomes.  COVID is the opposite of that.

It could bankrupt our medical system, bury our doctors and nurses and leave our hospitals in ruins.  The ice is much thinner than we think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m wanting to take the compliment and let it go @TryTheBeal! but, aren’t the people at most risk for covid related complications people who have underlying medical conditions like heart disease??? And would you take an aspirin regiment if you didn’t have underlying history of heart issues?  At the risk of sounding thick...

Cardio co-morbidities are a real thing.

COVID co-morbidities are a real thing.

They may overlap but are not the same thing.  Clearly.

Retire any and all “actually _____ disease kills this much annually, too” takes ASAP.  It’s time to dig in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@TryTheBeal! you’re dead on right. I’ve done a tiny amount of public health work in developing countries in my life, and I’m well-aware that fixing the problems by fixating on specific causes of death is highly counter-productive. Conservatives regularly like to “teach us,” about things that experts live and die with like they’re blowing our minds (e.g.: cracking down on AIDS in Africa in the wrong ways actually increases exposure to other diseases, and the people working this problem are acutely aware of this), but it’s especially infuriating when the numbers aren’t even right.

We’ll be paying for this for years in different ways. Sorry just frustrated this evening. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Yeah, the 800k was wrong to begin with. To add to that, we’re in mid July and closing on 140k COVID deaths, and that’s not counting the excess pneumonia deaths we can’t explain. And I’d be willing to bet money we’ll easily top 200k covid deaths this year.

if I found a way to prevent 200k heart disease deaths in the us annually, I’d be on the short list for a Nobel prize. But I’m supposed to believe that the same number of covid deaths is media hysteria.

I do wish we had real leadership right now that talked about our eating habits while all this was going on. Not that anyone can tell Murica what to eat, but it's a missing part of our dialogue since the Obamas left town. 

edit: Thanks Obama

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The next six months will be rough.

The time between the election and Biden’s inauguration will be the among the darkest 90 days in our living national history.

This time next year, prolly pretty good.  Make necessary preparations.

Or the more likely scenario between November and January when we're staring at four more years of Tweety Bird

Just sayin......

Edited by hail2skins

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Or the more likely scenario between November and January when we're starting at four more years of Tweety Bird

Just sayin......

You’re the guy that said the Q3 Econ numbers would be strong right?

Big Trump rebound?

Double down on that, right now.  Let us hear you.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Or the more likely scenario between November and January when we're staring at four more years of Tweety Bird

Just sayin......

I sense glee with your posts saying Trump will win reelection.  He may well win but there's no glee in that.

I expect the deaths to rise.  You can be pushing 70,000+ infections per day and not eventually have an increase in deaths also.   

8 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Just sayin......

Listen, we all know what you think. Given that people are struggling in a lot of ways, this is NOT useful. Maybe just don't post it anymore as people look for hope. Is that cool? 

• Thanks 1

Beal....Q3 will be measured in comparison to Q2, which I think we all expect to be abysmal, right? What would be your best educated guess as to what Q3 growth would be? That number will be released the Friday before the election and *could* sway undecideds if the race is still close.

Rdskns2000...not gleeful at all. You very well know I was one of the only ones on here who predicted a Trump win in 2016. What I was very wrong about was the possibility that he'd grow into the job and be a decent president. That hasnt happened, but unfortunately I feel this is a country full of overgrown children that is going to put the same guy back in office. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow.

Hersh....see above. Sorry, I know a lot of us want to be optimistic, but I'm not. Call me Eeyore....

30 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Beal....Q3 will be measured in comparison to Q2, which I think we all expect to be abysmal, right? What would be your best educated guess as to what Q3 growth would be? That number will be released the Friday before the election and *could* sway undecideds if the race is still close.

Rdskns2000...not gleeful at all. You very well know I was one of the only ones on here who predicted a Trump win in 2016. What I was very wrong about was the possibility that he'd grow into the job and be a decent president. That hasnt happened, but unfortunately I feel this is a country full of overgrown children that is going to put the same guy back in office. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow.

Hersh....see above. Sorry, I know a lot of us want to be optimistic, but I'm not. Call me Eeyore....

I don't give a **** if you aren't optimistic. Just stop posting it. Keep that pessimism to yourself. 

Regarding Q3 numbers, they may seem decent depending on how low a bar has been set, but there are significant parts of the country rolling back their reopenings. Plus, travel, tourism, etc numbers will be abysmal and the biggest question of the fall is school opening back up in some form or fashion. That will have a major impact on back to school spending and jobs. I don't think we will see much of an economic bump without multiple new stimulus bills and without the Fed printing that money. 

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Regarding Q3 numbers, they may seem decent depending on how low a bar has been set, but there are significant parts of the country rolling back their reopenings. Plus, travel, tourism, etc numbers will be abysmal and the biggest question of the fall is school opening back up in some form or fashion. That will have a major impact on back to school spending and jobs. I don't think we will see much of an economic bump without multiple new stimulus bills and without the Fed printing that money. 

You know that and I know that but the clapping seals in this country will look at any positive number and say "let's MAGA again!"

Or is that too pessimistic? 😁

@hail2skinsExplanations* aside, your comments read like a Trump supporter that realizes he can get in more trolling if he kind of pretends he doesn't like Trump. If you keep doing it, you'll likely keep getting pushback.

*Weak explanations, in my view, that in no way adequately explain your incessant repetition.

• Like 3

Agree tech and I'll try to keep my predictions to myself. And even though I'm not THAT cynical about how this country will fare no matter what happens in November, I'm just disgusted by the number of people who seem to support the current president even on a personal level. It is beyond dismaying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't give a **** if you aren't optimistic. Just stop posting it. Keep that pessimism to yourself.

Wasn't aimed at me, but I will do the same. Think we are about to enter a moment where positivity is the only thing we will have time for, if we want to see this thing through.

• Like 2