Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You’re right.  I wish some would give a more objective look so I can sit back.  Hell, just someone to play devil’s advocate to spur a thorough conversation would be nice.  Being too assured that someone will be there to protect you can leave you lacking in defense if you aren’t careful.  And I don’t think many appreciate how messy martial law would be or are prepared for that.

I do cybersecurity for a living, you don't ignore risk, you typically either mitigate or accept it so you can sleep at night. 

I'd imagine if they are having the conversation on gaurding DC like was leaked, they are having the conversation on who to guard DC from.  And I wouldn't want to be on that list.

This is one of those things that I'm not against believing could happen, just trying to stay realistic on how that would play out.  My anxiety could get the best if me if I worst case scenario every worst case scenario, either you keep me level or I got to do it. I didn't consider that denial at all, I don't want to speculate myself into oblivion here, I work for the government, too.

Edit: I repeat, martial law right now is a bad idea and overkill, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I work for the government, too.

Not sure if you work on a base and which one.  But if you can go cruise around the parking lot of a base, especially a green one.  Look at the bumper stickers.  You’re right I can only share so much of my opinion.  But I’ll say that if you go look, you’ll probably be a lot more nervous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not sure if you work on a base and which one.  But if you can go cruise around the parking lot of a base, especially a green one.  Look at the bumper stickers.  You’re right I can only share so much of my opinion.  But I’ll say that if you go look, you’ll probably be a lot more nervous.

Don't forget I used to live in Hampton Roads same as you, arguably one of if not the higher concentration of military bases on the planet last I checked.  Nervous isn't the word I would use, I'm not naive or Susan Collins concerned, if that's what you think.

29 minutes ago, visionary said:

I need to know if he's blocking people coming in or freezing USCIS. 

We finally got the money set aside and forms filled out, it wouldn't shock me, but I would understand some sort pause but imagine he's taking he opportunity for indefinitely.  I have to go outside and come back, the reality is if this is what I think it is, we'd be stopped in our tracks even if we filed last year.

But he already froze ICE, so he's asking for it if he just tries to send people out and close every way to stay in, wouldn't out it past him to try but except a challenge in court. I'd make time for it.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

I would have enthusiastically supported the immigration idea a few weeks ago. 

Still think it may be good idea temporarily, but it seems pretty ****ing suspicious to do it now though while telling everyone to open up and get back out there.

Also I'm kind of scared by how or if this will go back to normal, if he is able to shut it down entirely and then maybe only reopen immigration from places he likes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

I would have enthusiastically supported the immigration idea a few weeks ago. 

Still think it may be good idea temporarily, but it seems pretty ****ing suspicious to do it now though while telling everyone to open up and get back out there.

Also I'm kind of scared by how or if this will go back to normal, if he is able to shut it down entirely and then maybe only reopen immigration from places he likes. 

He's looking to see what xenophobic blank checks he can cash in during this BS, a lot of right-wing governments are. 

My only peace is this is an election year, my wife's OPT doesn't expire this year, thankfully, we can make until Biden gets inaugurated in January, if we all that lucky. 

We were just on the phone with USCIS yesterday, person we talked to was working from home, same as last time i called, so im not ready to jump to conclusion whole thing is shut down, not for folks already here.  Stopping new people from coming in the country for now, is what it is for right now, but people already here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would you trust the food coming from these plants that are still open, despite the outbreak in their plants?

Since many of us live in states controlled by the GOP; we will just have to personally be careful as they follow their leader's wishes and open up.  If you have to go out or even have to go back to work; all you can do is pray you don't get sick.  What else can you do?

We know all these openings is going to do, is just prolong the problem.  More people will get sick.  Instead of things ramping down; there will be surge in new cases. More people will die.

I say, go for it.  Sadly, unless thousands upon thousands of Trumpsters die; opinions in Trumpland probably won't change and even that isn't a gaurantee. After all, they say die for the economy.  So, If there is surge in deaths; I hope it is among those younger Trumpsters.  The ones who are relatively healthy.   That's probably wrong to think that way but so be it.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/tampa-mayor-tom-brady-cited-for-working-out-in-park-closed-because-of-coronavirus-012145885.html

Tampa mayor: Tom Brady 'cited' for working out in park closed because of coronavirus

Tom Brady has stayed in the headlines since leaving the New England Patriots for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

This is one he’d probably like to have back.

Tampa Mayor Jane Castor spoke with St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman on a public video briefing Monday, and the city’s most famous new resident became a topic of conversation.

Brady’s alleged public park trouble

Castor relayed a story about a recent run-in a parks employee had with the NFL quarterback.

“I always tell people, ‘Now I’m not one to gossip so you didn’t hear this from me,'” Castor told Kriseman. “But you know our parks are closed down so a lot of our parks staff, they patrol around just to make sure that people aren’t doing contact sports and things and saw an individual working out in one of our downtown parks.

“And she went over to tell him that it was closed and it was Tom Brady.”

But that wasn’t all. Apparently Brady didn’t get off with just a warning.

‘Well, there you go,” Castor continued after Kriseman reacted. “He has been cited.”

She then on to talk about “how wonderful our sports teams are to step up.”

Brady has not publicly commented on the mayor’s statement.

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In fairness, there's logic to the immigration ban (putting aside racism, agendas, etc.) even if Trump thinks the situation is improving. If you believe the virus is under control in the US, then isolating the country when you reopen it is logical. 

Except we’re a lot worse off than most countries, if not all of them now.

Also after thinking about this, if would make sense to restrict travel, and people coming in, but banning immigration and processing of visas and such seems like something meant to be more long term and not just a temporary thing.

Edited by visionary

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Except we’re a lot worse off than most countries, if not all of them now.

Also after thinking about this, if would make sense to restrict travel, and people coming in, but banning immigration and processing of visas and such seems like something meant to be more long term and not just a temporary thing.

If it's part of larger plan, then I'd agree. I guess I just mean that on the surface, the logic of restricting the influx of people isn't completely illogical even if you believe we've seen the worst of the virus. 

Trump is not known for accuracy but to be clear, immigrant visas are for people who plan to make the US their permanent home. Non-immigrant visas include tourists and people who can work here legally for years but do not have the right to stay permanently. 

An immigration ban will have no impact on disease transmission.

It will have little to minimal impact on employment either in the short/medium term of at least several years.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Thanks 1