Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Miller is beyond washed but works hard and understands pass protection, so whatever. We still aren’t using McKissic as creatively as we should, but I don’t think this effects anything unless we suffer yet another injury. I hope they don’t rush Gibson back either way. 

As for this offseason—he’d be pricey but Stafford would be a great steward for this roster who can actually make plays. He’s rarely had a running game, not often has he had a decent OL, and almost never has he had a defense. He’s so damn talented and has had his career wasted, he’d be a lot of fun here with his passion for the game. I think the fans here would really dig his toughness and approach on the field. Exactly the kind of vet QB that this type of roster could use. Draft and sign OL and LB, and sign and draft another playmaker or two and that’s a good offseason. That team could threaten in the NFC. 

21 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Thing is, I'd rather sign Dak for $40M in FA than give up assets for Stafford at a $35M cap hit & at 32 years old. Of course, Dak may not be available.

Oh absolutely, this isn't even a question for me. Dak is the dream for me. Young enough, a humble leader, he is the perfect QB to go along with this defense. 

Dak is a free agent after the season, but I believe he can still be tagged this year. (Do players have to sign the tag?) I'd want to get out of that dumpster-fire in Dallas as soon as possible if I were him. 

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Oh absolutely, this isn't even a question for me. Dak is the dream for me. Young enough, a humble leader, he is the perfect QB to go along with this defense. 

Dak is a free agent after the season, but I believe he can still be tagged this year. (Do players have to sign the tag?) I'd want to get out of that dumpster-fire in Dallas as soon as possible if I were him. 

I don’t think Dallas is in bad shape at all. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I don’t think Dallas is in bad shape at all. 

I think they're in worse shape than most I guess. I see the recent bad contracts they've given and look at their OL trending in a downward direction and see issues that could start surfacing. They have great WRs, but an OL that isn't close to as good as it once was. Their defense could use an upgrade at almost every position besides DeMarcus Lawrence, he's the only guy who I would consider a good player on their entire defense. Dak carries that team so hard, it's really been something to sit back and watch his growth, I'm a bit envious of them because we don't have a guy like him. He would have so much more help on this team, defensively at least. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think they're in worse shape than most I guess. I see the recent bad contracts they've given and look at their OL trending in a downward direction and see issues that could start surfacing. They have great WRs, but an OL that isn't close to as good as it once was. Their defense could use an upgrade at almost every position besides DeMarcus Lawrence, he's the only guy who I would consider a good player on their entire defense. Dak carries that team so hard, it's really been something to sit back and watch his growth, I'm a bit envious of them because we don't have a guy like him. He would have so much more help on this team, defensively at least. 

I think they’ve had a lot of bad luck. Lots of injuries on that line, the retirement of Frederick, Dak’s injury. I do think they need an influx of talent in the secondary but I wouldn’t count them out for the next few years. I still think Diggs is gonna be a good corner and once Gallimore figures out what he’s doing that front 4 will be ok. Biadesz was a steal for them.

18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think they’ve had a lot of bad luck. Lots of injuries on that line, the retirement of Frederick, Dak’s injury. I do think they need an influx of talent in the secondary but I wouldn’t count them out for the next few years. I still think Diggs is gonna be a good corner and once Gallimore figures out what he’s doing that front 4 will be ok. Biadesz was a steal for them.

We've all had bad luck, they've had it worse but it's that fighters mindset that they lack that would have me concerned if I was a fan of Dallas. Zach Martin is the only constant on that offensive line. They had a great line back when they had Tyron Smith, Frederick, Martin, and Collins (who came in unmotivated and mega overweight this offseason apparently) back in 2016.

Diggs seems like a good talent, it wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be a good corner. Ceedee Lamb also looks like a good player, I just think they're not good at all in the trenches or at LBer and really don't have much going on there in the future there unless Gallimore and Biadesz turn into studs. I would take our young talent over theirs any day of the week, although we had to lose a ton to get these players lol. 

Their coaching also looks suspect, and Mike Nolan...oof he was never a good hire to begin with imo. 

41 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Dallas is in a tight spot w/ the tag situation. They can tag him again will be 37M. Players can choose not to sign but I would not bank on it. A long term contract will likely cost more than 37 per year, but they would have the luxury of moving the bulk of the money to the back of the deal, making the first year manageable. With a little over 33M in cap space next yr, if they want to fix that horrid D, they need to sign Dak, coming off injury, to a long term deal. Otherwise you are relegating your offseason to Dak and not a whole lot else.

Unless they are looking at a draft pick that assures them a top 2 QB, I think they have to sign Dak to a deal rather than another tag so they can add further talent. How successful can they expect to be marching out the same team out there against what I would expect to be an improved NFCE. They were not exactly winning games w/ Dak after all.

If they finish poorly enough, you could see them blow it all up, Head coach and QB reset.

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dallas is in a tight spot w/ the tag situation. They can tag him again will be 37M. Players can choose not to sign but I would not bank on it. A long term contract will likely cost more than 37 per year, but they would have the luxury of moving the bulk of the money to the back of the deal, making the first year manageable. With a little over 33M in cap space next yr, if they want to fix that horrid D, they need to sign Dak, coming off injury, to a long term deal. Otherwise you are relegating your offseason to Dak and not a whole lot else.

Unless they are looking at a draft pick that assures them a top 2 QB, I think they have to sign Dak to a deal rather than another tag so they can add further talent. How successful can they expect to be marching out the same team out there against what I would expect to be an improved NFCE. They were not exactly winning games w/ Dak after all.

If they finish poorly enough, you could see them blow it all up, Head coach and QB reset.

I really appreciate this in-depth reply. The business side of the NFL is just something I don't know much about.

I hope that there's some relationship that is scorned within that organization and Dak is secretly just waiting to sign elsewhere. He got low-balled by Dallas and it seemed like when we did that with Kirk it really backfired. Of course everyone is different, so it might not apply to Dak. 

My hope is that Dak tests the market, sees what's out there and Dan gets Football Team-1 ready for flight. We can't mess around on an offer to a player like him. Dak is a FA QB worth overpaying slightly for imo. He's better than Kirk when we were in a similar scenario. With how good we seem to be at finding talent now, it seems like we can still use those draft contracts to stay under the cap. 

If you were to give a percentage on him staying or leaving Dallas, what would it be?

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If you were to give a percentage on him staying or leaving Dallas, what would it be?

Depends on how they finish. If they bomb out and get a top 2-3 pick, almost assuring they will have one of the top 2 QB prospects, then I can see a plus 50% chance they let him walk. Bring in a new coach and staff, and they will want to reshape that whole team.

Dak will command a contract that will beat Watsons. 40 M a year. Fair or not, that is how FA works. Elliot will cost them 14 Mil. Cooper another 22Mil. Without the ability to flex money around that is 66 M to 3 players. If the Salary cap is 180, that is over 33% of your space. Factor in Lawrence for another 25, 3 olinemen at 17 14 and 12 you add another 68, making 138 total, the vast majority of your cap going to 7 players. Hard to improve your D when you are throwing around that kind of money.

If they don't finish with a good enough draft pick, I'd say you are looking at a 95% chance he stays. You have to be able to sell your QB to the fanbase, and it would be hard to do that if you let Dak walk. The problem is, Dak (like Cousins, and Flacco) has ALL the leverage here. He knows full well that someone, does not matter who, will pay him what he wants. All he has to do is sit on his hands, and say humble things. If Dallas wont, they will have to tag him again and he will get even more leverage next year as the Tag will go up to 50+ I believe. If they do pay him, he gets his money.

It really hurts that they caved on the Elliot holdout. That showed every Dallas player that you can force management to deal on your terms. There are serious ramifications to caving into player contract demands. Even after injury, Dak has zero reason to budge on his own demands.

Either way I'd predict a ton of "talk" around Dallas moving up in the draft for a QB in an attempt to garner some form of leverage over Dak. Won't work tho.

W/ the Jets n Jags lookin' uggo, I'd bet he stays in D

49 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Depends on how they finish. If they bomb out and get a top 2-3 pick, almost assuring they will have one of the top 2 QB prospects, then I can see a plus 50% chance they let him walk. Bring in a new coach and staff, and they will want to reshape that whole team.

Dak will command a contract that will beat Watsons. 40 M a year. Fair or not, that is how FA works. Elliot will cost them 14 Mil. Cooper another 22Mil. Without the ability to flex money around that is 66 M to 3 players. If the Salary cap is 180, that is over 33% of your space. Factor in Lawrence for another 25, 3 olinemen at 17 14 and 12 you add another 68, making 138 total, the vast majority of your cap going to 7 players. Hard to improve your D when you are throwing around that kind of money.

If they don't finish with a good enough draft pick, I'd say you are looking at a 95% chance he stays. You have to be able to sell your QB to the fanbase, and it would be hard to do that if you let Dak walk. The problem is, Dak (like Cousins, and Flacco) has ALL the leverage here. He knows full well that someone, does not matter who, will pay him what he wants. All he has to do is sit on his hands, and say humble things. If Dallas wont, they will have to tag him again and he will get even more leverage next year as the Tag will go up to 50+ I believe. If they do pay him, he gets his money.

It really hurts that they caved on the Elliot holdout. That showed every Dallas player that you can force management to deal on your terms. There are serious ramifications to caving into player contract demands. Even after injury, Dak has zero reason to budge on his own demands.

Either way I'd predict a ton of "talk" around Dallas moving up in the draft for a QB in an attempt to garner some form of leverage over Dak. Won't work tho.

W/ the Jets n Jags lookin' uggo, I'd bet he stays in D

I don't think they'll be able to get a top 2-3 pick, the top 3 picks are pretty much guaranteed to be 1. Jets/Jags 2. Jags/Jets 3. Cincy. Dallas looks like they're in good position for the #4 pick in the draft though. It seems like Justin Fields or Zach Wilson will be there at their spot unless Cincy trades back to a team that needs a QB. They're going to be an interesting team to watch, they obviously need some defense. 

Wow, 50m a year franchise tag for Dak next year, that's insane, there's no way it gets to that point. It is kind of nice he has all the leverage, their cap isn't in as pretty of a situation as ours is so they'll have a harder time building around him if they give him the contract he wants. 

I'd be curious to see how many rumors we hear about Washington being interested in Dak as well to potentially get Dallas antsy. Apparently it worked with Amari and they outbid us for him, it could happen again with Dak if he gets that far and is able to see the interest he'll assuredly get. 

Dallas is definitely in a tricky situation. If I were them, I would probably put the #4 pick up for sale if they wind up getting it. San Francisco and Chicago are going to be very hungry for a QB, those teams are literally us in 2-3 years down the road if we don't get our guy this offseason. 

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d take a combination of Samuel and JuJu in free agency, if that link was at all substantiated. Re-sign our OL. Sort out the QB position.

Draft a mid round TE and RB and a handful of really aggressive nasty ****s on defence. Works for me.

I'm all for Samuel, but JuJu just seems like his contract is going to outweigh his production.

My pipe-dream offseason is this:

FA: Dak - 38-40m (5 years) / Curtis Samuel - 6.5m (3 years) / Lavonte David 10-11m (3 years). We might have to make a choice between Roullier or Scherff, both together would probably cost us between 18-20m. 

Draft: Round 1: OT Darrisaw, Round 2: TE Pat Freiermuth or Paris Ford (only doing 2 rounds here lol)

Thank Alex Smith for his service and get his contract off the books. Find a trade partner for Landon Collins. 

Our weapons on offense will be a "tad" weak with no true elite option besides Terry, but we also have McKissic and Gibson who are pretty good at catching footballs as well. Maybe we can spread it around pretty good. The reason why I like David in FA is because I feel like we have to continue to strengthen the D, he's on a different planet than Bostic and can be that elite ILB this team needs. I feel like if we're spending all that money on Dak we need to also protect him, that's why I like Darrisaw. 

And now I'll get back to reality where Dwayne Haskins is our QB. 

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd be curious to see how many rumors we hear about Washington being interested in Dak

Yup, If we are in a situation where we don't have to show any loyalty to a QB on our roster, I'd float heavy rumors about wanting Dak, whether true or not. I'd also do the same about kicking the tires on Wentz, just in case Philly is looking for someone to trade and cut him (where Philly pays most of the salary, so they can get out of the contract) just so they have to think twice about carrying his cap number.

At least your dream scenario of Dak is more plausible then mine of Watson. His extension does not hit hard till 2022 so he will only cost 15 M next year. Even if we have to give up some assets, we would have plenty of FA cash to throw around. I'd throw so much at Hou to make it happen.

-Smith

-Haskins/Allen

-Settle

-1st rd

-extra 3rd

-Collins

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yup, If we are in a situation where we don't have to show any loyalty to a QB on our roster, I'd float heavy rumors about wanting Dak, whether true or not. I'd also do the same about kicking the tires on Wentz, just in case Philly is looking for someone to trade and cut him (where Philly pays most of the salary, so they can get out of the contract) just so they have to think twice about carrying his cap number.

At least your dream scenario of Dak is more plausible then mine of Watson. His extension does not hit hard till 2022 so he will only cost 15 M next year. Even if we have to give up some assets, we would have plenty of FA cash to throw around. I'd throw so much at Hou to make it happen.

-Smith

-Haskins/Allen

-Settle

-1st rd

-extra 3rd

-Collins

I would absolutely do all that for Watson. Our 1st could very likely be spent on a QB anyways so I would be down with tossing it to Houston. Settle is a great piece for Houston, he could really flourish and breakout there and we can afford to part with him because of depth. If I saw Collins in the trade I would be happy, we just signed him for too much imo. Plus with Kam looking like a better player already, we should see if there's a market for Collins. 

I read that Watson's contract had a "no trade clause" and got curious. Looks like the player can only be traded with his consent, I thought it meant no trades whatsoever, which would have sucked for him. Hopefully Watson can spot a sinking ship when he sees one and realize he's on it. 

Raiders are 7 Mio over the cap for next season. Mariota has 1 year left with a 10 mio salary but can be cut/traded without any dead money. I don't think they keep him now that Carr has played a nice season so far and he looked really good yesterday. A late round pick might actually do it and you would get 1 year to see how he does in the system. Could be a nice fit here because he can run as well. Would rather have him than Darnold.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

What about McKinney at LB if he gets cut by the Texans in the offseason..:kickcan:

I'd like that. Makes more sense then David, being that he plays LOLB and McKinney is an ILB.

10 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Raiders are 7 Mio over the cap for next season. Mariota has 1 year left with a 10 mio salary but can be cut/traded without any dead money. I don't think they keep him now that Carr has played a nice season so far and he looked really good yesterday. A late round pick might actually do it and you would get 1 year to see how he does in the system. Could be a nice fit here because he can run as well. Would rather have him than Darnold.

I like the idea of Mariota. I wouldn't be opposed to them both. Big camp battle.

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

This is one reason I don’t mind re-signing Kerrigan to a 2 year deal - aside from the idea of rewarding him, and retaining a solid backup (while hopefully grooming a young guy to supplant him), doing so shouldn’t impact keeping the rest of the line together.

I'm also curious as to what we will do with Kerrigan. Ron seems like a culture guy and Kerrigan would fit that mold and has been super productive this year in limited snaps. I could see him sticking around. On the other hand, I don't know how much he costs, and with Sweat and Young at DE, do we really want to pay 8-10 million/yr for a backup DE? I might rather have a safety, CB, LB for that money and see what Brailford, or James Smith Williams can do at that spot. 

Archived