Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cuts to get 100 million in Cap Space???

Renegade7

Skip the pleasantries, just cut them...  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which of our Top 10 Contracts should we Cut this Offseason?

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The problem with Jon Allen is we'll have to decide fairly early whether or not to pick up his 5th year option which I believe won't be more than 4 million (I could be wrong). He's got an incredibly team friendly contract which would prove extremely valuable to other teams. With Chase in the fold he may be our most valuable trade commodity if we go that route. Would a team be willing to give up a first and a third for him?

That is something we should consider.

However, everyone else seemed reluctant to draft him high due to the medical concerns, so getting a 1 and 3 several years later might be a reach. His shoulders aren't going to be any better after several years in the league.

Rivera also seems to like the youth we have in the roster, so trading that youth away may go against the grain. 

But i do agree, it's  worth considering.

11 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I don't disagree that he seems fragile, but I am pretty sure we locked him up with a very cheap deal - I think Breeland, for example, got more than double what we extended Dunbar for.  Replacing him would eat up significant cap space. If Dunbar is only getting the equivalent of backup money, then he is worth it even for just 8 to 10 games at probowl level.

Dunbar is a real good player that is not costing us a fortune. Just because a guy gets hurt doesn't mean he will get hurt in the future. Keep him.

20 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I think we could still get a low round pick for Kerrigan, which is why I wouldn't cut him. Same with TW.

Cutting Dunbar is crazy talk.

Kerrigan has some worth but I don't know if he fits the new Def sceam. I would not cut TW. I want him to play. If you cut TW, dollars to do-nuts he plays LT for a playoff team next year. Do you really want to give a good player to a team better than us for nothing. I want him to live up to his contract. I do not want to waste a 2rd draft pick on a LT because we do not have one. He either plays or he sits and does not get paid. Yes I am open to renegotiate his contract as he is a carrier Redskin and a good player and there were some mistakes made on both sides but if he has no trade value because of his attitude, him and his agent have to realize that and that means he plays for us or he sits. If you have to cut a DB cut Norman, keep Dunbar.

I think a lot are going a bit crazy with the cuts here. We've plenty of cap space without making any wide ranging cuts but the two i can foresee are Norman and Reed. That leaves us with $67m ahead of resignings and FAs.

It's a young team and one that'll need leaders - that's why I think Smith, Trent & Kerrigan will be kept around.

21 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Why do you not want Trent back?  I mean I still think he a lot left in the tank

Can we be honest, I love Trent.  In an ideal world he would retire here.  But he's not a long term starter anymore.  he is injured a lot the last three seasons (not counting last year).... He's like a really good car that you love, but needs to be in the shop 2 months of the year for repairs and replacements.   you still love that car, but it might be time to cut bait if you've paid it off and trade it for something more reliable.

4 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Can we be honest, I love Trent.  In an ideal world he would retire here.  But he's not a long term starter anymore.  he is injured a lot the last three seasons (not counting last year).... He's like a really good car that you love, but needs to be in the shop 2 months of the year for repairs and replacements.   you still love that car, but it might be time to cut bait if you've paid it off and trade it for something more reliable.

That is a very good analogy.  But my question, which I keep throwing out there, is that the pickings are thin at this point.  Who do we replace him with?  He has another year left on his contract. I think you bring him in and you let him help this year, ride him as long as you can next season, and at the same time I believe it helps Haskins.  

I get what your saying, I truly do, but sometimes health scares change your approach in terms of lifestyle - what you eat, supplements, better conditioning habits, etc.

I don't think it hurts to have Rivera have a sit down with him, see where his head is at, and if things are amicable see how he does in 2020. 

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Yes I love Trent too and if he really wants out fine but I am not making it easy for him by cutting him. If everyone did that there would be no NFL. He signed a contract to play and I want it honored. Sit down with his agent and show him the offers and if he has no trade value because of age, injuries attitude and more then I say play and get paid or sit and starve. I do not have a 2rd draft choice to waste on a LT when I have a good one under contract. 

18 hours ago, carex said:

if we cut Smith now it will cost us 10.8 million in cap space, the same amount of dead money his contract would cost us if we cut him before 2021

That’s 2021. If we cut him now it costs 32 mil. In fact keeping him on roster saves us 10 mil.

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s 2021. If we cut him now it costs 32 mil. In fact keeping him on roster saves us 10 mil.

I meant cost as in subtracting an additional 10.8 million, besides what we all ready paying

Just messed around on FanSpeak after using OTC to generate our salary cap.

Start: $47.43m

Cut: Norman ($11.9m), Reed ($7.9m)

------------------

Cap Space: $67.21 million

Extend: Trent (3 total years, $44 million, $30m guaranteed)

Re-Sign: Scherff (5 years, $71 million, $40m guaranteed)

Re-Sign: Flowers (3 years, $18 million, $8m guaranteed)

Cap space: $44 million

Free Agency:

- FS Anthony Harris (5 years, $30 million)

- CB Trae Waynes (5 years, $60 million)

- TE Austin Hooper (5 years, $40 million)

-----------------------

Cap Space: $18 million to roll into 2021

More $$ could be freed up in 2020 pretty easily moving on from Richardson, trading Trent (if he refuses to come back), etc.

Basically signing 4 big-money contracts and good sized contracts still leaves you with a decent chunk.

May be a bit aggressive in the spending department for a "transitioning" team so I could def. see arguments against Flowers + Scherff + Trent ... and doing 2 of the 3 and then going IOL in the draft.

FWIW, my enusing draft was:

1.2: Edge Chase Young

3.9: OT Mekhi Becton

4.2: TE Adam Trautman

4.10: WR TJ Vasher

5.2: LB Keandre Jones

Those drat picks (Outside of Young and Becton) are just placeholders going BPA at that time based on that particular draft board at 4 positions I think we'll hit at some point. I don't know the names that well yet.

3 minutes ago, carex said:

Seriously?  A guy who could never play again is plan A?  But yeah, offer us a seventh round pick sure.  It would save us over 5 mill

Makes you wonder what plan B is.

Please send him, get the Bears to take as much of the cap hit as they will and we absorb the rest.

49 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Makes you wonder what plan B is.

Please send him, get the Bears to take as much of the cap hit as they will and we absorb the rest.

Actually, just occurred to me, ask for Holtz instead.  We need TE depth

58 minutes ago, carex said:

Seriously?  A guy who could never play again is plan A?  But yeah, offer us a seventh round pick sure.  It would save us over 5 mill

They have Nagy up there who Smith played for and put up his career best numbers.

If we can get them to eat some of the cap then that's a fantastic deal and you start to feel that just maybe stuff is starting to fall our way after all these years of injury curses etc

Call me crazy but i'd kinda rather have Smith around next year if he's healthy. Good mentor, been spending a lot of time with DH and can come in if needed. I don't see why we need to spend to the cap next year. I'd wait until 2021 before seriously considering us to be contenders. If Young comes here and we address the secondary I would feel very comfortable having Alex back there should DH regress. 

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We won't be able to trade Smith. Not sure where that Bears report came from. I'm pretty sure we take a massive cap hit if we get rid of Smith in any capacity, cut or trade.

if we trade him we'll be on the hook for 16. something million, less than his regular cap hit

• 1 month later...

Archived