Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

I somehow remember your stance being that IF KOC was kept that it would be due to meddling by the owner, not that he would be gone.

My claim was meddling would be the only reason he would retain KOC because Ron would never want him. That turned out to be accurate. Ron never wanted him. So if he had kept him it would have been due to Dan.

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

My claim was meddling would be the only reason he would retain KOC because Ron would never want him. That turned out to be accurate. Ron never wanted him. So if he had kept him it would have been due to Dan.

Fair enough. But I still think paying a 2nd mega QB contract would be fool hearty. Anfd if it happens, it should only occur after Ron is convinced that DH doesn't have it

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

It’s weird to me that Norv didn’t tell his son to stay away from here. He can’t have a good perspective of the Redskins and Dan Snyder. 

Marty claimed to love Dan afterward. You never know. He was only here just over 1.5 years under Dan. First year late in the off season and they won the NFC east and second year fired in season. Not a huge amount of suffering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

I think letting KOC was a mistake. I'm glad RIvera has the authority to bring in who he wants but I also think it's troubling to only surround yourself with people you know. Getting outside of your comfort zone is important as well.

RR brought in another OC because he will be running a different scheme, I believe.

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

I think letting KOC was a mistake. I'm glad RIvera has the authority to bring in who he wants but I also think it's troubling to only surround yourself with people you know. Getting outside of your comfort zone is important as well.

I'd agree if this multi billion $ industry wasn't so cut throat. Out of one's comfort zone is probably the worst place to be in the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Probably not in a place like this. If things go well for Coach Rivera here, and his assistants get callups to loftier positions elsewhere,  you may yet see that. But this is like getting dropped into football Normandy. You need solid coaches you can trust. I'm good with that.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Paying a backup QB starting QB money just because Haskins needs the competition is a horrible use of resources. Having a rookie QB on that rookie contract and building around that is one of the biggest advantages in roster construction in the NFL...and we're already sunk on that Alex Smith money, obviously. It would be a horribly inefficient usage of resources to sign a guy like Bridgewater unless Rivera really doesn't like Haskins--in which case he could do anything at QB and I wouldn't be surprised, including pulling an ARI and trading him on draft day while taking Tua at #2. Note: I don't actually think that's going to happen, but what I'm saying is that if Rivera is so iffy on Haskins' potential that he'd pay another QB starting money in FA to compete with him...anything is on the table at the QB position at that point. 

You pay a potential starter starting QB money. Like Gibbs did with Brunell and Pete Carroll did with Matt Flynn. Then you start the best player. Haskins is cheap and a sunk cost. Ron has not committed anything to Haskins other than a chance to compete. That means bringing in a starting caliber QB and paying the associated price.

Retaining KOC and bringing back Keenum is tacitly handing Haskins the starting job. That’s not what Ron is doing. This will be a legitimate competition. Haskins lost a chance to make an impression and didn’t show up to the press conference. He’s already behind.

I doubt Ron brings in a rookie as competition at top of the first round. He’s not passing on Chase Young. I think he wants a vet QB that can protect the ball, protect his D and give him a chance to win in the weakest division in the NFL in year 1.

Haskins is potentially his developmental QB. He’s certainly not the presumed starter but he will get a chance to compete.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

It’s weird to me that Norv didn’t tell his son to stay away from here. He can’t have a good perspective of the Redskins and Dan Snyder. 

Hmmm...perhaps norval didnt have the negative perspective of the Dan that fans seem to have....

Perhaps...just perhaps some who have worked with him have a different perspective....like Gibbs...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Fair enough. But I still think paying a 2nd mega QB contract would be fool hearty. Anfd if it happens, it should only occur after Ron is convinced that DH doesn't have it

He has to make that decision by early March. That’s when free agency starts. He’s obviously not convinced Haskins is the guy. KOC would be the OC if he planned on rolling with Haskins game 1.

I doubt Haskins can do anything between now and March to change the dynamic. He didn’t even bother to show up for the introductory press conference introducing Ron. 

So Ron has to bring in legitimate competition. Which means paying a QB $15M+ pet year. It would be shocking if he didn’t. That was the Gibbs playbook with Patrick Ramsey and Brunell.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Haha 2

If Madden was still doing his thing and you handed him a note saying that somebody's offense was gonna be run by Turner and Zampese, I swear his head would probably explode right there on live television. This isn't Norv and Ernie, but it will be a very good combination. Zampese is arguably the best QB Coach in the business, but he also has an acumen for elevating an existing offense with some innovative, attacking passing schemes. It was, in part, because of Zampese that Gruden grew a lot in Cincy in terms of his play design. I think these two will complement each other well. If you think McLaurin had a good season this year, holy hell, wait til the fall. The weapons will be fully utilized.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Could be that the firing wasn't personal, Norv understands the business and damn near 20 years is a long time to hold a grudge.

• Like 1

I'll just say that based on knowing very little about both as coordinators 

Scott and Zampese > KOC and Scott just based on the Zampese and his history with QBs. He may not be the young guru that has helped to develop a lot of QBs. And I'd add in that Scott has a similar history as a QB coach. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

So Ron has to bring in legitimate competition. Which means paying a QB $15M+ pet year. It would be shocking if he didn’t. That was the Gibbs playbook with Patrick Ramsey and Brunel

I don’t see this with the $20M on the books for Alex.  If you pay another QB that kind of money, you’re committing $35-40M in cap room to QB.  

If they go for a vet, I think it’s more a mid-tier guy in the 5-8M range who could start for a year or be a backup.

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

That’s my prediction. Ron saw him play in the NFC South when Brees went down. Scott already has the relationship. Would be a legit option.

I think the Saints are going to sign him.  Breese isn’t going to play forever and he’s proven he can win there.  

How old is he?  

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s my prediction. Ron saw him play in the NFC South when Brees went down. Scott already has the relationship. Would be a legit option.

I'd honestly be curious to see how Haskins would handle that. But definitely seems like a legit option.

1 hour ago, Birdlives said:

If this is where Scott could get an OC gig, and Norv trusts Ron, he’s probably ok with it.

The conversation I wish I could have heard is between Ron and Norv.  Because you KNOW Ron talked to Norv before he accepted the job.

I am willing to bet he very candidly asked Dan about why he fired Norv while they were spending 35 hours in the freezer.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t see this with the $20M on the books for Alex.  If you pay another QB that kind of money, you’re committing $35-40M in cap room to QB.  

If they go for a vet, I think it’s more a mid-tier guy in the 5-8M range who could start for a year or be a backup.

Alex Smith is a sunk cost. His position is irrelevant. We will have close to 70 million in cap. We have so much youth that we can actually afford it. Without a QB you got nothing. Ron will make sure he has options.

Ron is not interested in putting all his eggs in the Haskins basket. Not retaining  KOC proved that. That means paying legit money for legit competition. The $5-$8M range guys are the Keenums of the world. I doubt that’s who he wants. 

I would love to get Bridgewater in here. Seeing him play those 4 or 5 games when Brees was out showed that he's healthy and ready to roll again. @Voice_of_Reason rightly mentioned the tough sell in terms of the cap space that would be absorbed by that kind of move. Those are the costs of rollin' with George Allen's son as your principal decision-maker. Cutting Norman would free up a lot of cap space.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I'd honestly be curious to see how Haskins would handle that. But definitely seems like a legit option.

He will have to deal with it the same way Patrick Ramsey dealt with the Brunell acquisition. It’s a business. Best player plays.

Maybe don’t put all your eggs in being friends with the owner basket? That hasn’t been too successful of a strategy for rookie QBs around here...