Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome the Redskins Jack Del Rio---And defensive philosophy

clskinsfan

Hopefully we do draft Chase Young and he can be paired with Sweat for the next 10 years at DE.  However just thinking about right now and the current players we have.  I think we could have a good rotation of Allen/Payne/Ion/Settle at DT, big guys do get tired quickly and having them all rotate often could be beneficial for the defense.  I also think maybe we could use Allen all over the line, similar to what JJ Watt and Aaron Donald have done in the past on their teams? 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Simmons is my favorite player in the draft. I don’t deny that Young is a player at a bigger impact position and a top end talent. So I won’t deny drafting him is a fantastic move. But I think Simmons helps a lot. 

Foster and Simmons at the OLBs is a fantastic set up. Though, again, I never count Foster. He’s a bonus. But Simmons fixes one OLB spot entirely. 

That said, I don’t see the team passing on Young. It’s possible. Just don’t think so. So they need to find OLBs in FA or later rounds. It’s an absolute need. 

Thanks KDawg! Though I most likely want, and expect us to draft, Chase Young,.. if a team drafting a few spots behind us (Miami?) came calling with an offer of an extra 1 and 2, I think Simmons would be hard to pass up. In fact, given his unique skill sets, versatility, and high character, I’m not sure he’s not worth the #2 pick outright. 

Glad to hear you think so highly of him, and think he’s a good fit for us in a serious area of need. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Same. But, still, you need the pieces. You don't need studs persay… You need good players that can fill roles. I don't see a single guy that can play OLB besides Foster (who I don't count) and MAYBE SDH. Anderson as a rush WILL type who drops once in a while works, but that's more situational. 

I do think we need to find a stud linebacker (at least one).  I agree that Foster is the only guy I see as a sure fire fit/talent (and we can’t rely on him).  
With that said, I could see JHC fitting at SAM or perhaps Holcomb or SDH (though the latter is probably not as much of a thumper and Holcomb would have to make legitimate strides in coverage).  Anderson fits some of the criteria, and could probably handle simple flat coverage in zone, but otherwise, yeah, I don’t want to see him in coverage.  Agree about Mike options and that WILL is a pretty big question mark (though again, JHC could perhaps fit ok there if Foster is not in).  

Of course, I’m not sold on Harvey-Clemons’ coverage ability, but he’s got more promise there than most of the others (having played safety in college and dimebacker for us).  

Really, I think the linebacker unit has 2 things going for it.  1) They’re diverse - Foster, Anderson, SDH, JHC, Holcomb and even guys like Kerrigan, Orchard, McKinzey, etc. have a lot of different skill sets (though coverage is a concern/question mark).  2) As former linebackers, I expect Rivera and Del Rio (and whoever coaches the backers) will have a good idea how to use these guys to the best of their abilities.  Not that I think they’ll have this group where they want them - I’m not sure we’ll have a single ‘good’ starter - but they may well be able to make the group work until they have a chance to get more/better talent in the fold.  

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

As far as no NT, that really depends on the specific front. In a 4-3 Under front you do have a guy who would be an NT as he'd be filling/shooting the same gaps that a NT does in a 3-4. 

You are thinking Over front. 

Under puts the NG in weak side 3 technique. 

Over puts the NG in weak side 1 technique 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I presume we will see what we have in Brailford/Anderson/McKinzie/at weak side LB, Holcomb/Bostic/Foster at mlb. We will definitely need to make some moves in FA to shore up the lb core. But imo, FA money should go to TE/DB positions first. 

No. The Will in a 4-3 is the smallest, most athletic linebacker generally. Think Derrick Brooks 

Next year is gonna be great. My dad been a fan his whole life but these past years he’s fallen off due to how horrible the team and front office has been doing. But now even he has a little excitement in him lol and that’s surprising because he is a eeyore about the team all the time lol. I really hope all this does turn the team around man! 

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS 

59 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

You are thinking Over front. 

Under puts the NG in weak side 3 technique. 

Over puts the NG in weak side 1 technique

My understanding of Over vs Under as far as the DT/NT was more or less which one lined up on the strong vs weak side. I thought the NT lined up in a 2i or 0 shade position in each, but in Over he's lined up on the weak side and Under he's lined up on the strong side and the 3 tech DT flips too. Maybe I was wrong. 

10 minutes ago, HTTR559 said:

Yeahh I went back a read it through so I didn’t get in trouble lol thanks.

Yeah for sure man..hate to see people put in time out...I dont do Facebook or Twitter or email or or or anything else...so when I get put in time out from this place..its like..its like how a 16 year old girl or boy would feel that's banned from any devices for a month lol

59 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yeah for sure man..hate to see people put in time out...I dont do Facebook or Twitter or email or or or anything else...so when I get put in time out from this place..its like..its like how a 16 year old girl or boy would feel that's banned from any devices for a month lol

Yeahh same here this all I’m on socially lol. Nd I bet I was on this all day yesterday after I was able to log on. Wife was going crazy over it lol. But hey I gotta talk with someone bout the skins or read more into what people think about it. She don’t understand Nd like I said my pops is a eeyore about it lol gotta hear something positive about the skins. I just wanna see them do good and hear someone else think positive with me lol. Now I know I’m not alone!! Lol. Glad to see more fans still have faith. 

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not being critical - just curious.

Does anyone know the reason why JDR was out of football for 2 seasons ?

This is a great question..after looking at his resume and the praise hes getting I asked myself the same question..

Just now, HTTR559 said:

Yeahh same here this all I’m on socially lol. Nd I bet I was on this all day yesterday after I was able to log on. Wife was going crazy over it lol. But hey I gotta talk with someone bout the skins or read more into what people think about it. She don’t understand Nd like I said my pops is a eeyore about it lol gotta hear something positive about the skins. I just wanna see them do good and hear someone else think positive with me lol. Now I know I’m not alone!! Lol. Glad to see more fans still have faith. 

Hey..hail ya man welcome aboard and get ready for a roller coaster of a ride lol..I'm a nobody here...hated by alot of folks, but this place is f'n awesome..hope things turn around for eeyore lol..my dad is a huge Redskins fan as well..scince 63..he's not as gloomy...he has the same opinions as everyone else...tired of snyder being in the way..the piss poor managing..glad to see it change...fingers crossed for the best.

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I read he was gonna go to Cincinnati 2018 to be DC with Zac Taylor’s first staff but they didn’t like the fit. So talks ended. That’s what his wiki says. I’m guessing he might have wanted the time off to take away the stress of being a Raiders coach lol. 

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Great question. I know that he is still being paid by the Raiders, so maybe he just wanted to kick back and enjoy the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hey..hail ya man welcome aboard and get ready for a roller coaster of a ride lol..I'm a nobody here...hated by alot of folks, but this place is f'n awesome..hope things turn around for eeyore lol..my dad is a huge Redskins fan as well..scince 63..he's not as gloomy...he has the same opinions as everyone else...tired of snyder being in the way..the piss poor managing..glad to see it change...fingers crossed for the best.

Yes it is I was looking for something all year to just rant after every loss and win of this season but couldn’t find anything. Tried the warpath but got bored of it real quick. Then found this after all the Rivera stuff started getting out. Nd this forum is active as can be so I’ll be on here every day lol. (Wife’s gonna hate me) but oh well lol o got a few buddy’s out here when I’m from that are skins fans too but I lost contact after I lost Facebook Instagram and all that other stuff so this will make up for it.

4 minutes ago, HTTR559 said:

Yes it is I was looking for something all year to just rant after every loss and win of this season but couldn’t find anything. Tried the warpath but got bored of it real quick. Then found this after all the Rivera stuff started getting out. Nd this forum is active as can be so I’ll be on here every day lol. (Wife’s gonna hate me) but oh well lol o got a few buddy’s out here when I’m from that are skins fans too but I lost contact after I lost Facebook Instagram and all that other stuff so this will make up for it.

What's nd?... maybe move this to pm?..cant clog the thread with this kind of chit chat lol

12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I’m out here in Cali surrounded by big headed niner and raider fans. Just horrible lol. Niner fans were no where to be found last year now everyone has flags flying on there cars and houses talking about FAITHFUL!!!! 🤣🤣🤣 faithful is what skins fans are lol all this we been through and we still show our love for our team. Win lose or tie I rep my Redskins all year round!! That’s faithful!! Niner fans know nothing of that lol

I think sometimes we get caught up too much in "3-4 vs. 4-3"  when the reality is most defenses probably use a combo of both, depending on the scenario.

For me, the biggest change I want to see if Del Rio using players to their strengths and not trying to make them fit into something they aren't good at.  

Look how different Montez Sweat looked as a player as soon as they let him rush the passer.  Dude was wreaking havoc on the other side of the line constantly.  Does anybody think he just morphed into that kind of player, or did the coaches finally decide that having him rush the passer instead of rove the field was a good idea?

17 minutes ago, HTTR559 said:

I read he was gonna go to Cincinnati 2018 to be DC with Zac Taylor’s first staff but they didn’t like the fit. So talks ended. That’s what his wiki says. I’m guessing he might have wanted the time off to take away the stress of being a Raiders coach lol. 

Yes and I believe he is still being paid by the Raiders as well. He signed a 4 year deal in Feb 2017 with them. So maybe he just wanted to relax and get refreshed before going back into coaching.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Great question. I know that he is still being paid by the Raiders, so maybe he just wanted to kick back and enjoy the sidelines.

Ha. Stole my thunder. :)

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes and I believe he is still being paid by the Raiders as well. He signed a 4 year deal in Feb 2017 with them. So maybe he just wanted to relax and get refreshed before going back into coaching.

Great sign though. I’ve read he’s turned last place defenses into 2nd Nd 3rd ranks defense so that’s what we need especially with all the great young talent and iioniadis looking like he’s just growing every year. Start putting Montez hand in the dirt like he wants Nd then add chase young into the mix. Man next year should be great for us.

Archived