Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Nationals are D.C.’s favorite team, Post poll finds, as Redskins’ popularity plummets

Sticksboi05

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Seriously, the Nats have been nothing but great for me as a fan. Since 2014, I've seen four postseason appearances and a championship in six seasons. It's not exactly the Patriots, but you can't ask for much more from your team. 

Mike Rizzo is a DC sports legend and the day he is no longer with the team will be a dark one. 

Man think about what Rizzo inherited. He literally built this **** from the mud. Even when he missed on decisions, you could understand the thought process that drove the move. 

There is none of that with Snyder. He hires people who make him feel comfortable about being terrible. I geniunely question any player with options who signs or re-signs with this franchise. That very action tells me winning is not your number 1 priority. 

How old are most of the posters on theses boards? Under the age of 18? How can you compare the accomplishment of the Montreal Expos...er... the

Washington Nationals, who just came in to town 15 years ago, with the accomplishment of the legendary Washington Capitals, who have been here for

a whopping 45 years? And hockey is a thousand times the game baseball is -- fast, highly skilled game, with plenty of hitting and physicality, and plenty

of scoring too (which makes it superior to soccer). Baseball is 90% chewing tobbaco and sitting on the pine scratching your crown jewels. It. Is. BORING. 

There is no comparison between the two games for anyone with a pulse.

The Capitals are loaded with exciting players fans will be talking about for decades to come -- Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, big Tom Wilson, Carlson, Kuznetsov,

Oshie, Vrana. These guys are all legends or soon-to-be legends. Other than Strasburg, who gives a damn about any of the players on the Nats. They'll be forgotten in

a couple of years.  

Again this thread was started by some over caffeinated 18 year old with no clue about DC's true sport history. 

3 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

How old are most of the posters on theses boards? Under the age of 18? How can you compare the accomplishment of the Montreal Expos...er... the

Washington Nationals, who just came in to town 15 years ago, with the accomplishment of the legendary Washington Capitals, who have been here for

a whopping 45 years? And hockey is a thousand times the game baseball is -- fast, highly skilled game, with plenty of hitting and physicality, and plenty

of scoring too (which makes it superior to soccer). Baseball is 90% chewing tobbaco and sitting on the pine scratching your crown jewels. It. Is. BORING. 

The Capitals are loaded with exciting players fans will be talking about for decades to come -- Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, big Tom Wilson, Carlson, Kuznetsov,

Oshie, Vrana. These guys are all legends or soon-to-be legends. Other than Strasburg, who gives a damn about any of the players on the Nats. They'll be forgotten in

a couple of years.  

Again this thread was started by some over caffeinated 18 year old with no clue about DC's true sport history. 

Well this thread was started with the article in the WaPo.  

You may think hockey is a thousand times the game baseball is but the general public seems to disagree.  I'm not sure why you're so butthurt that the article states the Nats are the #1 team in town now.  You're obviously a Caps fan, isn't that enough?  Hockey fans in general seem to have a rather large inferiority complex when it comes to the attention that hockey gets in regards to the NFL, MLB, NBA.  I've never quite understood this.

26 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

a couple of years.  

First off, I have not been 18 in a very long time and second, I don't drink coffee. Third, I'm a Capitals fan.

Why do you have to come into every thread on DC sports with this attitude? I love hockey but let's not forget DC's baseball history goes WAY further back than the mid 70s. And baseball was America's favorite sport for decades. You don't like baseball, fine, but it's more popular than hockey unless you're in Canada, Russia or various parts of Europe. Accept it.

And this is from someone who grows tired of people forgetting the NHL is the 5th highest revenue league in the world.

1 minute ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Why do you have to come into every thread on DC sports with this attitude? 

Because this thread is totally designed to provoke that "attitude": 

"WP: Nationals are DC's favorite team, Post poll finds, as Redskins' popularity plummets."

The thread designed to get a rise out of Skins fans, but by ****ily calling the Nats "DC's favorite team", it also gets a rise out of Caps, Wizards, Terps, Hoyas, 

Orioles, and DC United fans as well. Again its a stupid, knee-jerk reaction thread that shouldn't have been started in the first place.  

2 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

"WP: Nationals are DC's favorite team, Post poll finds, as Redskins' popularity plummets."

The thread designed to get a rise out of Skins fans, but by ****ily calling the Nats "DC's favorite team", it also gets a rise out of Caps, Wizards, Terps, Hoyas, 

Orioles, and DC United fans as well. Again its a stupid, knee-jerk reaction thread that shouldn't have been started in the first place.  

The rules of the forum are to post the exact story title and link. That's what I did. Actually the only person who has gotten riled up is you, for what reason I don't know. God forbid, the team you like most isn't the most liked by others. You have beef, go email the Washington Post about their polling mechanisms.

8 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Speaking of knee jerk reactions.  Pot, meet kettle.

12 hours ago, Destino said:

how long is a generation?  25-30 years?  Dan Snyder has had the team for 20 years that have been mostly bad... so yeah it’s fair to say this team is working hard to miss out on an entire generation of fans.  

Dan Steinberg refers to that group of fans as The Loss Generation, which as apt a descriptor as I've seen. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-loss-generation/2015/04/13/4809d8e8-e143-11e4-905f-cc896d379a32_story.html  

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Dan Steinberg refers to that group of fans as The Loss Generation, which as apt a descriptor as I've seen. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/the-loss-generation/2015/04/13/4809d8e8-e143-11e4-905f-cc896d379a32_story.html  

Its sooooo much worse for the Skins though. The Wiz are off the hook largely because the NBA has become a groupie league of sorts. The Skins have been raised by Dallas, Baltimore New England, Green Bay,  NY, Philly,  and Carolina. And that's before you factor in the number they've done on their own backyard.

I think its irreparable. Even if by some meth heads dream we return to even being a perennial 9-11 win team, this fanbase will never be as big as it once was.

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

a couple of years.  

It is the what have you done for me lately manifestation. Pretty sure if this poll was done a month after the Caps won their championship the they would have been the most popular team in DC. 

I'd venture to guess the vast majority of Caps fans are also Nats fans and as such have no issue whatsoever with the Nats being named the favorite team in DC since the Caps would be a close second.

Mourneblade is ignorant in so many ways though that there is no use responding to him. Its basically troll status at this point. "Other then Strasburg, who gives a damn about any of the Nats." Yeah because they don't have MVP caliber LF and 3B, another HOF bound Pitcher, local legend Ryan Zimmemran, etc. etc. Geez leweez, how do you argue with someone who lives in coo coo land?

38 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Orioles, and DC United fans as well

Lol. A lot of us in here have been posting about the Wizards for years and I can tell you that none of us had your reaction on reading this thread. The success of one DC team doesn't take away from the others.

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Lol. A lot of us in here have been posting about the Wizards for years and I can tell you that none of us had your reaction on reading this thread. The success of one DC team doesn't take away from the others.

It might.  People might turn their dollars away from the Redskins and spend it on another team.  Kind of hard to measure the impact but I believe there are fans out there who passed up buying Skins merchandise/tickets for Nats playoff gear/tickets.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It might.  People might turn their dollars away from the Redskins and spend it on another team.  Kind of hard to measure the impact but I believe there are fans out there who passed up buying Skins merchandise/tickets for Nats playoff gear/tickets.  

Yall talking about two things at the same time.  If people have finite resources they cant buy everything.  But proof is in the pudding, I dont think theres a single redskins player in top 50 of jersey sales, and it's been that way for a while, before Nats and Caps won rings.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When people are passing on $15 club seats, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not because of the Nats or Caps.

I hate when hockey fans inject themselves into a conversation about sport in general and rail on about how superior hockey is to all the other sports.  It’s just a bad look and makes hockey fans seem petty.

Hockey is my favorite sport.  I play recreationally and I have a true love for it.  But people’s tastes can vary and I realize that baseball has long been America’s pastime and football is a behemoth.  Hockey is simply one level above niche and I think we, as hockey enthusiasts, should take any credit that’s given to build the sport.  No need to trash it.

Whats more remarkable, is that in America’s 4th largest market (or whatever), the football team lags behind its hockey and baseball teams in terms of popularity.  The fact that that crusty, money grubber, Snyder could sink a team that low... well that would be like sinking an amusement park or a fast food joint.  Just incomprehensible.

Snyder sucks.

Archived