Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Can't wait till he passes that clown Jagr. I'll always hate that effer. At this rate he'll pass him by Christmas lolol.

I have 3 of his rookie cards...he's worth money...and he had hair.  :wub:

But yes, I want Ovi at the top of the list eventually.  

I really hope GMBM is smart enough to keep the young players up when vets start getting healthy and get rid of some of the older, useless players like Hagelin. I doubt he will but it’s clear that the youth is helping the team give energy to the entire team. 

The Hagelin and Mantha contracts make me cringe. Money could’ve been spent a lot better. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

I really hope GMBM is smart enough to keep the young players up when vets start getting healthy and get rid of some of the older, useless players like Hagelin. I doubt he will but it’s clear that the youth is helping the team give energy to the entire team.

I disagree with the position that Hagelin is useless.  He's a defensively responsible possession-driving forward who is a solid PKer.

That having been said, Axel looks like he's ready to make Hagelin redundant as a younger, and perhaps more offensively-gifted version.  I'd like to see him play on a line with Dowd and Hatheway, first, just to confirm that the 4th line will continue to be a dominant force.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Casual hockey fan, tell me more about the goalie who threw a shut out in his first NHL start.  Did I hear that he was a big prospect but he was also 25?  How did that happen?  

I think he's 26.  Was a pretty highly touted prospect in the Canadiens' system when he was younger, but never managed to get a shot with Carey Price and some other goalies in front of him.  I guess he disappeared into the minors for awhile.  Caps signed him last season and he killed it in Hershey.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I disagree with the position that Hagelin is useless.  He's a defensively responsible possession-driving forward who is a solid PKer.

That having been said, Axel looks like he's ready to make Hagelin redundant as a younger, and perhaps more offensively-gifted version.  I'd like to see him play on a line with Dowd and Hatheway, first, just to confirm that the 4th line will continue to be a dominant force.

fair point about hags. My issue is his value relative to his contract but he’s not useless.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

fair point about hags. My issue is his value relative to his contract but he’s not useless.

Yeah, he's a touch on the expensive side for a 4th liner, but also the way that 4th line has produced makes it easier to accept.  If Axel Jonsson-Fjallby can step right into Hagelin's spot and keep the 4th line going (and perhaps add a touch of finish), then it's probably time to try to move Haggy's contract.

I do wonder if there's anything to be had from Hagelin as a mentor to Axel, though.  They have similar games, and I think Axel may have even specifically listed Hagelin as the player he's modeled his game after.

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I think he's 26.  Was a pretty highly touted prospect in the Canadiens' system when he was younger, but never managed to get a shot with Carey Price and some other goalies in front of him.  I guess he disappeared into the minors for awhile.  Caps signed him last season and he killed it in Hershey.

Thanks. So do you think he has a shot to win the job? I mean it's not exactly settled from what I can see.