Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Things aren't going so well tonight.  We're looking really slow. 

Rangers are a really good team (it hurts to type that, but it's true), and while the Caps have been a pleasant surprise over the past 2 months they're not contenders. Not surprised by the result, these types of games are going to happen.

Still, proud of the Caps for their overall play so far this year. Will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the way. This time last year the Caps were red hot and squarely in the playoff race. By the end of January, the wheels fell off.  Hoping for better in 2024.

I was listening to the Carbery's postgame. He was talking about the need to get 5 on 5 goals and that while they deserve credit for their OT wins and 2-1 wins, in order to be a quality team, you have to score 5 on 5. Dude is impressive. I hope he's around for an actual rebuild instead of this middling junk. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

I was listening to the Carbery's postgame. He was talking about the need to get 5 on 5 goals and that while they deserve credit for their OT wins and 2-1 wins, in order to be a quality team, you have to score 5 on 5. Dude is impressive. I hope he's around for an actual rebuild instead of this middling junk. 

I love his structure and coaching style. He's got a solid supporting cast, just needs a couple top guns. 

Max Pacioretty is set to make his debut sometime over the next week (maybe even this weekend).  Guy is 35 years old, has played 5 games over the past 12 months, and is coming off a major injury.  But if he can stay healthy and work off the rust, he could really help our limp offense.

As an ALX resident, somebody (not sure who) is doing polling on how people feel about the new arena.  The survey basically listed all of the good things about the stadium and asked if they made you more or less positive about the arena, then did the same for the negative aspects.  I basically said I don't give a damn whether they put the stadium there, I just don't want to pay for it or any of the infrastructure to support it.  

Seems to me like they should have done this BEFORE they announced the thing as a done deal.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Seems to me like they should have done this BEFORE they announced the thing as a done deal.  

They didn't bother with the inquiry before the deal because these surveys don't matter. It's a token gesture to make you feel like you have a voice in the matter.  In reality, the people who make these decisions have already calculated the political and economic pros outweigh the cons, and they're doing it regardless of what the Cleavers and the Bundys check on their little postcards. 

The only thing stopping this from happening now is if the financing falls through.

2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

They didn't bother with the inquiry before the deal because these surveys don't matter. It's a token gesture to make you feel like you have a voice in the matter.  In reality, the people who make these decisions have already calculated the political and economic pros outweigh the cons, and they're doing it regardless of what the Cleavers and the Bundys check on their little postcards. 

The only thing stopping this from happening now is if the financing falls through.

You are even more cynical than I am. 

image.gif.f0f9f0ef495fa68d638a8962d3ea95ac.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Max Pacioretty is set to make his debut sometime over the next week (maybe even this weekend).  Guy is 35 years old, has played 5 games over the past 12 months, and is coming off a major injury.  But if he can stay healthy and work off the rust, he could really help our limp offense.

Or a tradeable asset. Probably not much but a contender in win now mode might give up a semi-decent prospect or a 3rd round pick. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Or a tradeable asset. Probably not much but a contender in win now mode might give up a semi-decent prospect or a 3rd round pick. 

Yup, and sadly I think most of us can agree that we'll likely be sellers again this season.

Mantha increased his trade value - I would think he could fetch us a 2nd rounder at this point if his play keeps up. So that's one thing that went right this year.

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

Yup, and sadly I think most of us can agree that we'll likely be sellers again this season.

Mantha increased his trade value - I would think he could fetch us a 2nd rounder at this point if his play keeps up. So that's one thing that went right this year.

Especially if the Caps retain most of the salary. Hopefully moves happen sooner than later. Continuing to go young and get a high draft picks is important for the next couple years. 

Edited by Hersh

2 hours ago, skinswillwin06 said:

Been watching this sport my whole life. I still do not understand it sometimes. So inconsistent. I've seen contact way, way worse than that on numerous occasions and no goaltender interference is called. Truly don't get it.

You and me both. The Toronto Situation Room, or whatever the hell they call it, is getting out of control. There are 4 refs on the ice, and coaches get a challenge. The extra layer of big brother watching is total overkill.

And what pisses me off most is the call on the ice was a goal, so they need something conclusive to overturn it and Dowd's "interference" wasn't even close.

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Ok we suck at the shootout .. l wish we had Oshie back …

They need to stop putting Ovi out there as one of our top 3 shooters, and I've been saying this even before he clearly lost a step this year. Best goal scorer ever (record be damned), but shootouts have never been his strength. 

2 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

They need to stop putting Ovi out there as one of our top 3 shooters, and I've been saying this even before he clearly lost a step this year. Best goal scorer ever (record be damned), but shootouts have never been his strength. 

I seem to recall him being decent at shootouts earlier in his career.  It's been awhile, though.

43 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Have to wonder if NBA, MLB and MLS have the same issues with refereeing as the NFL and NHL? (I only watch NHL/NFL) Every week or game something huge involving the refs alter a game. Is it the betting? I don't recall it ever being -this- bad.

Don't see it nearly as much in baseball. But it's harder to **** it up in baseball AND not fix it though.

I don't watch basketball or soccer.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Don't see it nearly as much in baseball. But it's harder to **** it up in baseball AND not fix it though.

I don't watch basketball or soccer.

Most likely in the next 10 years baseball will turn to robots to call the ball and strike. I think they are trying that in lower leagues too. Soccer, it's more about VAR issues at the moment. 

Any thoughts about bringing back Samsonov? He  Just got waived by the Leafs.   Before he got waived he had been in a funk.   I haven't heard anything regarding how long Lindgrin is going to be out. 

Edited by Maxito