Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

What hip surgery is grueling to come back from for a professional athlete? I've had left hip surgery and will likely have right hip surgery in the next few years. Seems odd to me that it would force retirement. 

Bo Jackson disagrees.

1 hour ago, China said:

Bo Jackson disagrees.

hip replacement is a bit different. I’m not sure there is any chance he plays if that was the surgery.  They seem to be indicating a surgery that allows him to play again. 🤷‍♂️

57 minutes ago, Hersh said:

hip replacement is a bit different. I’m not sure there is any chance he plays if that was the surgery.  They seem to be indicating a surgery that allows him to play again. 🤷‍♂️

There's a difference between playing again, and playing again at an elite level.  He's done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

What hip surgery is grueling to come back from for a professional athlete? I've had left hip surgery and will likely have right hip surgery in the next few years. Seems odd to me that it would force retirement. 

Which professional sports team were you on before and after your surgery?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Which professional sports team were you on before and after your surgery?

NHL players have hip surgery and make it back no problem. Arthroscopic surgery is no issue for Backstrom. Plus, they have all the rehab advantages we regular people don’t get. 

4 hours ago, China said:

There's a difference between playing again, and playing again at an elite level.  He's done.

That’s more reasonable than it forcing retirement. 

23 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Presidents Trophy is the most meaningless honor in all of sports.

Well, it depends. As a gauge for winning the Cup, of course. But the three years we won it were some of the funnest times for Caps fans. That 2010 team was electric, scoring 5 - 6 goals every night; with the Young Guns and a great supporting cast, it felt like we were a dynasty in the making. And the 2016 and 2017 teams were the most well-rounded Caps clubs ever; it's unlikely we'll ever see a Caps team that solid for a long time.  Yes, each of those teams crapped out in the playoffs, and it's heartbreaking that none of them even made it past the second round.  But that doesn't change the fact that for 6 months in each of those years, we were seemingly unstoppable. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 8:44 PM, capcrunch98 said:

Well, it depends. As a gauge for winning the Cup, of course. But the three years we won it were some of the funnest times for Caps fans. That 2010 team was electric, scoring 5 - 6 goals every night; with the Young Guns and a great supporting cast, it felt like we were a dynasty in the making. And the 2016 and 2017 teams were the most well-rounded Caps clubs ever; it's unlikely we'll ever see a Caps team that solid for a long time.  Yes, each of those teams crapped out in the playoffs, and it's heartbreaking that none of them even made it past the second round.  But that doesn't change the fact that for 6 months in each of those years, we were seemingly unstoppable. 

16 and 17 season we were so dominant, I was very unwell after that loss to Pittsburgh in game 7 in 2017. Im still convinced if we won that series we were going to win the cup. 

• Like 2

It’s really weird but I’ve felt myself rooting for the Rangers all series.  They were my 2nd most hated team for the longest but, I dunno, losing to Carolina after the cup is a fresher wound and  their home ice environment annoys me a lot (although I respect the effort).

3-0 as I type.

Carolina can kiss my ass hahahaha

I’ll be rooting for the Western Conference in the finals no doubt.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:43 PM, 86 Snyder said:

It’s really weird but I’ve felt myself rooting for the Rangers all series.  They were my 2nd most hated team for the longest but, I dunno, losing to Carolina after the cup is a fresher wound and  their home ice environment annoys me a lot (although I respect the effort).

Not a Canes fan, but I hate the Rangers even more.  I can't believe one year after we thoroughly embarrassed them in the Wilson game, and then they embarrassed themselves a couple weeks later during the rematch, they're now in the conference finals.  I'll give them credit, though - they had the stones to initiate a rebuild a few years ago and sell high on some of their older vets.  They've also had an insane amount of luck - winning the draft lottery two years in a row, fleecing Ottawa for Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin rejecting higher offers to sign with NY, future Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox forcing a trade to the Rangers, finding an MVP goalie in Igor Shesterkin.  These fukkers are gonna be good for a long time.    

Losing to Carolina in 2019 was our own fault.  The Canes were an up-and-coming team then, but very green and we should've easily beaten them that year.  Squandering numerous chances to end that series early, and then blowing a 2-goal lead at home in Game 7, showed that this team - despite the Cup win - was still prone to half-assing it and folding during crunch time.  As far as I'm concerned, the window for the current Caps core slammed shut that night 3 years ago when we lost that series in OT.  We've been garbage in the playoffs ever since.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I'll give them credit, though - they had the stones to initiate a rebuild a few years ago and sell high on some of their older vets.  They've also had an insane amount of luck - winning the draft lottery two years in a row, fleecing Ottawa for Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin rejecting higher offers to sign with NY, future Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox forcing a trade to the Rangers, finding an MVP goalie in Igor Shesterkin.  These fukkers are gonna be good for a long time.    

Gerard Gallant also doing a great job as NYR's coach, much like he did with Vegas their first season.

27 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Not a Canes fan, but I hate the Rangers even more.  I can't believe one year after we thoroughly embarrassed them in the Wilson game, and then they embarrassed themselves a couple weeks later during the rematch, they're now in the conference finals.  I'll give them credit, though - they had the stones to initiate a rebuild a few years ago and sell high on some of their older vets.  They've also had an insane amount of luck - winning the draft lottery two years in a row, fleecing Ottawa for Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin rejecting higher offers to sign with NY, future Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox forcing a trade to the Rangers, finding an MVP goalie in Igor Shesterkin.  These fukkers are gonna be good for a long time.    

Losing to Carolina in 2019 was our own fault.  The Canes were an up-and-coming team then, but very green and we should've easily beaten them that year.  Squandering numerous chances to end that series early, and then blowing a 2-goal lead at home in Game 7, showed that this team - despite the Cup win - was still prone to half-assing it and folding during crunch time.  As far as I'm concerned, the window for the current Caps core slammed shut that night 3 years ago when we lost that series in OT.  We've been garbage in the playoffs ever since.

This is what annoys me with the Caps. They had a chance to do a rebuild/retool around Ovi after that moment. Instead they keep messing around the edges, giving out bad contracts and giving away picks only to keep getting eliminated in the first round.